It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: List of Scams  (Read 3262 times)

Offline Omega82

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: None (yet)
List of Scams
« on: March 27, 2019, 08:51:32 PM »
I think it's good if we can all collectively make a list of scams a western tourist might encounter either while traveling or dating. 

I've read that while traveling it is common for someone on the streets in Russia to "accidentally" drop a wallet with money.  The unknowing tourist is tempted to pick it up and try to return it and is then accused of stealing part of the money.  I actually had this happen in Moscow in 2017 and since I had read about this I ignored it and continued walking but at a faster pace. 

Something I am always fearful of is for my wallet / phone / watch / passport to be stolen while I sleep.  this can obviously happen if you don't know the woman you're bringing back to your apt. 

Can anyone contribute anything else? 

Offline ML

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: > 10
Re: List of Scams
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2019, 10:00:41 AM »
I once took a FSUW to McDonalds.   She ordered and I paid. 

When we sat down to eat, I noticed there were 3 sandwiches.
She said she was taking the third one home to her child.

So watch out for this type of scam.

Learn the words one, two and three so that you can determine how many sandwiches are being ordered . . . before you agree to pay.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline SANDRO43

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2019, 11:52:12 AM »
I've read that while traveling it is common for someone on the streets in Russia to "accidentally" drop a wallet with money.
Reminds me of a prank we occasionally did as youngsters: a banknote on the pavement, secured at a corner with a thin, invisible bit of fishing line. A passerby would notice it, look around then bend to grab it: the bill would start jumping around as if animated, we'd laugh and the bloke would curse us and stomp away :D.
Milan's "Duomo"

Offline ML

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2019, 12:14:02 PM »
Reminds me of a prank we occasionally did as youngsters: a banknote on the pavement, secured at a corner with a thin, invisible bit of fishing line. A passerby would notice it, look around then bend to grab it: the bill would start jumping around as if animated, we'd laugh and the bloke would curse us and stomp away :D.

The bloke?

I didn't know you were in a British Commonwealth country as a youngster.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline SANDRO43

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2019, 12:34:43 PM »
The bloke? I didn't know you were in a British Commonwealth country as a youngster.
Actually old bean, I spent a fortnight in London and environs when I was 18 ;).

Milan's "Duomo"

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
  • Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2019, 12:40:00 PM »
I think it's good if we can all collectively make a list of scams a western tourist might encounter either while traveling or dating. 

I've read that while traveling it is common for someone on the streets in Russia to "accidentally" drop a wallet with money.  The unknowing tourist is tempted to pick it up and try to return it and is then accused of stealing part of the money.  I actually had this happen in Moscow in 2017 and since I had read about this I ignored it and continued walking but at a faster pace. 

Something I am always fearful of is for my wallet / phone / watch / passport to be stolen while I sleep.  this can obviously happen if you don't know the woman you're bringing back to your apt. 

Can anyone contribute anything else?

This is a great idea for a thread Omega :) The more we can get on this stuff the more better we all are. Ukraine has all sorts of tricks people there play, most people there are decent and it's not an everyday occurence but it happens in various forms. It annoys me that people playing these tricks don't seem to realise or care the bother/misery they cause.

If a summary can be made at the end or every so often in this thread then that would be helpful as a run through before a trip. It's also worth a look at the tricks thieves play in Italy by googling it. There's real bad problems there with them. Most revolve around distracting the unwitting victim, i.e if tourist is on a train someone on the platform will try to ask him something through the window, while he's distracted another will grab he's luggage and make off with it, chances are tourist won't notice until way down the track when that awful distressing & panic feeling sets in. Coaches too need to be cautious off, if you can't take your luggage inside and must be stored in the hold then try to get a seat as near to the coach exit doors as possible so someone can't make off with your luggage while you're stuck behind a queue of people in the coach when destination is reached.

Basically, number one rule is if you let out of your hand any item of your property then you leave yourself open to it being nicked. Now of course it's not a good idea to be end up at the point where you're awkwardly carting stuff around but it's something to bear in mind I think.

Also, never let a taxi driver take your mobile phone for directions, not really necessary now with Uber thank god. I did that in Lviv, guy kept asking for it and passing it back. When I got out I remembered to ask for the suitcase out of the boot before paying him (another one to watch for) but he went off with my mobile. He contacted the hotel (not where I was staying) and I got it back after paying £15 for he's so called running around expenses. Genuine mistake or scam, who knows, but my thoughts were in the latter.

In your case Omega you mention concern about about girl you don't know well enough nicking stuff. Girl I met in the last night in Lviv I reckon she was up for it with me, she asked about apartment. By that stage though I didn't want to risk any more bother. She might have been straight up but I knew my apartment had no safe. I take a cycle lock for my suitcase but this would look a bit difficult to explain to a girl and might heighten idea there is something valuable inside. So I gave it a pass with her, I didn't want to risk my passport walking day before I needed it for travel and I'm not into having sex with every girl I meet. On that front though it's where some hotels can be good. Now I would go for a hotel everytime where they have a safe in the room unless I was meeting a girl I knew well then apartments can come into play.
"If you make your own bread, then and only then, are you a free man unchained and alive living in pooty tang paradise, or say no and live in Incel island with all the others." - Krimster

Offline msmob

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2019, 03:33:13 PM »
Omega

You'll get no more sense on here re 'advice' than you have elsewhere ..

RARE are the cases of being scammed - especially if you don't drive and stick to crowds ..

Offline ML

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2019, 04:06:33 PM »
Actually old bean, I spent a fortnight in London and environs when I was 18 ;).

But the rule is, you can't use the slang of a country unless you have spent 6 or more months there.
This is in the Geneva Convention.

Offline SANDRO43

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2019, 05:26:10 PM »
But the rule is, you can't use the slang of a country unless you have spent 6 or more months there. This is in the Geneva Convention.
I qualify, then: I spent most of 1971 in London ;D.

Oxford Street, Oxford Circus in the background, December 1971

On my way home from work I used to buy a copy of the Evening News from an old Cockney bloke selling the paper on a corner of Wigmore Stret. He'd say 'ere you r, Guv', plus something else that was totally incomprehensible to me ;). I just grinned and said 'Ta'.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2019, 05:44:16 PM by SANDRO43 »
Milan's "Duomo"

Offline Omega82

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2019, 06:51:18 PM »
Thanks Trench for your words. 

Ive been to almost 45 countries and I might even make it to 50 by the end of this year.  I'm 36 years old so ocassionally I will date a 25 year old.  I was told on one of my travels that another scam is where a man meets a woman that is let's say 25 years old yet she has a fake id that says she is 17.  So she will scam you, in conjunction with a crooked police.  I rented an airbnb last year where the property owner lived downstairs and I rented the second floor and he asked the woman I was dating locally for her id or passport and he took a photo of her passport the day she arrived on the property.  The passport shows she is 26 years old.  He also told me of many women leaving in the middle of the night with the mans wallet, passport, phone, etc. 

I imagine most people here are over 40 so they're not dating anyone that could pass as a minor. 

In Russia the scam with the dropped wallet is very common.  Someone tried to do it to me on the main street in Moscow, Tverskaya in 2017 but I had read about the scam, ignored it and walked a bit faster to my destination. 

From what I've read, corruption has improved in the fsu.  can anyone else contribute some more ideas? 

Offline Omega82

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2019, 06:55:57 PM »
The bloke?

I didn't know you were in a British Commonwealth country as a youngster.

ML I once dated a single mom from Siberia and had a similar experience.  except mine is true :)  we met in Novosibirsk although she is from some remote Siberian village like a few hours outside OVB.  we went to a Russian restaurant and she ordered like 3 plates of food.  obviously she couldn't eat all of it.  and she drank beer like there was no tomorrow.  I don't know how she was able to fit all the food and beer in her frame of 165 cm / 50 kg.  and then came the smoking.  she was a wild one.  she was actually able to have sex after that monumental feast.  she would be the equivalent of what we call "white trash" in America. 

Offline Omega82

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2019, 07:02:48 PM »
continued.....   

I was in an airbnb apt.  I placed most of my cash inside my luggage and had it securely locked.  But I had a smaller amount perhaps like $200 in my wallet.  the following day I was missing $100. 

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2019, 08:32:46 PM »
I once took a FSUW to McDonalds.   She ordered and I paid. 

When we sat down to eat, I noticed there were 3 sandwiches.
She said she was taking the third one home to her child.

So watch out for this type of scam.

Learn the words one, two and three so that you can determine how many sandwiches are being ordered . . . before you agree to pay.

Good advice. My guess this is where you took the Misses after she passed her citizenship test?

Offline ML

« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2019, 08:56:49 PM »

Good advice. My guess this is where you took the Misses after she passed her citizenship test?

Maxx, I answered that, in a couple of posts of my thread in Marriage Forum.

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2019, 05:31:35 AM »
Thanks Trench for your words. 

Ive been to almost 45 countries and I might even make it to 50 by the end of this year.  I'm 36 years old so ocassionally I will date a 25 year old.  I was told on one of my travels that another scam is where a man meets a woman that is let's say 25 years old yet she has a fake id that says she is 17.  So she will scam you, in conjunction with a crooked police.  I rented an airbnb last year where the property owner lived downstairs and I rented the second floor and he asked the woman I was dating locally for her id or passport and he took a photo of her passport the day she arrived on the property.  The passport shows she is 26 years old.  He also told me of many women leaving in the middle of the night with the mans wallet, passport, phone, etc. 

I imagine most people here are over 40 so they're not dating anyone that could pass as a minor. 

In Russia the scam with the dropped wallet is very common.  Someone tried to do it to me on the main street in Moscow, Tverskaya in 2017 but I had read about the scam, ignored it and walked a bit faster to my destination. 

From what I've read, corruption has improved in the fsu.  can anyone else contribute some more ideas?

You were very fortunate to have an apartment owner that was looking out for you Omega, most I can't imagine would bother at all.

One guy in the papers a few years back accepted a can on booze off a taxi driver, it was either in St. Pete's or Moscow. Well that was he's last, it was drugged, he was looted for he's belongings then dumped out in the forest where he promptly froze to death in the night. They caught the taxi driver responsible and he is now serving jail time, so only misery on both sides as it turns out there.

Another UK guy married a FSW, a former stripper, who arranged to have him run over so she could claim his millions. He died in a hit and run but his family contested her claim and it looks like she got nothing in the end. Other guys have been done in the shower, etc. So I guess be careful if the character you get with. Most FSW aren't that extreme so try to go for a nice docile one I think.
"If you make your own bread, then and only then, are you a free man unchained and alive living in pooty tang paradise, or say no and live in Incel island with all the others." - Krimster

Offline msmob

Re: List of Scams - Trench 'sources' - the Tabloids ...
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2019, 05:38:38 AM »
Dear Trench

Do you think you were 'scammed' by the woman you took to  Cyprus for a break ?

I have a feeling your definition of being 'scammed' may not be that of others ...

Other's who have plenty more experience of the FSU and use common sense to avoid being scammed

1/ Don't walk deserted streets alone at night - take a UBER/ Yandex ( or similar app ordered Taxi)

2/ Go to a night club with real friends to avoid your drink being spiked

3/ Do not carry much cash and do not have much available on any card on your person  - move it from an account back home on a daily basis

4/ Do not get drunk if it means a journey home alone

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 540892
Total Topics: 20846
Most Online Today: 1958