It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Egypt Sharm el Shiekh  (Read 5578 times)

Offline msmob

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
Egypt Sharm el Shiekh
« on: February 17, 2019, 12:54:15 PM »
Anyone been to Sharm el Sharm el Shiekh, recently

It's open for biz and looking for a decent beach hotel from someone that knows it

The BEACH is the main criteria

Offline Jamesukjames

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 4 - 10
Re: Egypt Sharm el Shiekh
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2019, 01:56:16 PM »
I was there in October how may I help.  Beach is a beach but coral is variable.   Best coral is sharks bay.  Flying via Istanbul  from London.  Security is tight allow at least 2 hours for airport security flying home.  Visa is purchased from a machine in the air port 20 usa dollars.  Prepare to haggle for everything.  Leave a few Egyptian  pounds each day for cleaners you get a better cleaning service.  Do not touch the coral or if you do wash with vinegar to kill the nymphs  now living in your skin lost half the skin on my back this way.  Recommend  snorkel and mask as there are plenty of lion fish .  Lion fish seek shade so if you float about they will use you for shade.  Do not go paddling after dark that's when the lion fish come into the shallows to feed.

Offline Jamesukjames

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2019, 02:00:42 PM »
Go on a boat trip the old wooden boats take you out to some great coral.   Very relaxing and great bbq.  If you haggle you will pay half the asking price.  Just be aware health and safety is non existent

Offline Jamesukjames

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2019, 02:05:57 PM »
Most hotels have a private beach.  I would say any hotel with good reviews in sharks bay for coral.  For sand with no coral. tropitel hotel.  nama bay is nice if you stay in the posh appartments in the back.  Front is good too if you are away from the disco end.

Offline ML

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2019, 03:52:37 PM »
Go on the semi-submarine cruise.
Terrific for viewing the sea creatures.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline msmob

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2019, 03:11:46 AM »
Really appreciate this

I'm not going. SC is going with a mate as I need to go to Georgia ! ( Hello Maxx, Tblisi )

She knows Hurghada better

Offline Gator

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2019, 07:57:29 AM »
The Red Sea is vastly better than the Med of the Russian Riviera in Turkey. 

If SC enjoys excursions, we enjoyed the afternoon trip to a dessert oasis.  My camel seemed to be in a bad mood, to include spitting (hump day is not Wednesday in Egypt).   

Offline msmob

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2019, 09:04:11 AM »
The Red Sea is vastly better than the Med of the Russian Riviera in Turkey.

Knowing the Mediterranean 'emerald[ Lycian ]  coast' through sailing I HIGHLY doubt that ;)

It will be warmer

Offline Gator

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2019, 10:34:46 AM »
Knowing the Mediterranean 'emerald[ Lycian ]  coast' through sailing I HIGHLY doubt that ;)

It will be warmer

The "Russian Riviera"  (similar to Florida panhandle's "Redneck Riviera") is just east of the Lycian Coast.   It is the region of resort after resort constructed along the insipid long sandy beach east of Antalya. 

Eye of the beholder.  I was thinking more about coral reefs, clarity, ....   The relief, forests, secluded rocky beaches west of Antalya are indeed interesting. 

IMO neither locales compare with the Caribbean, which in turn is surpassed by Hawaii and beaches of SE Asia, especially those set against dolomite cliffs.  I haven't see them, yet travelers marvel about islands and beaches in the South Pacific and Indian Ocean.     

Offline Jamesukjames

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2019, 12:09:28 PM »
Due to the lion fish I would definetly recommend snorkles and masks so you can see them when swimming.  Unfortunately Due to people breaking the rules and feeding the fish they have come to associate people with being fed.  I would meet about 6 lion fish per half hour snorkel near the beach. 

Offline SANDRO43

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2019, 07:09:59 AM »
we enjoyed the afternoon trip to a dessert oasis.
Fringed with sponge-cake palms ;D?
Milan's "Duomo"

Offline Gator

« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2019, 02:08:19 PM »
Fringed with sponge-cake palms ;D?

Good catch!  Rest assured, there will be more given my continuing state of decline.

Offline ML

« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2019, 02:22:12 PM »
Good catch!  Rest assured, there will be more given my continuing state of decline.

Are you getting visits from Uncle Al ??
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline msmob

« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2019, 03:29:27 AM »
Update:

thanks for all your help - but Svetlana did not fly today ! (

We noticed last night that the price she had booked was for an Egyptian / Resident only and taxes were extra

She would have turned up and been asked to pay an enormous surcharge

This is an extremely sharp practice and not made nearly so clear when booking from Russia as opposed to an EU nation via booking.com

Now looking at meeting up in Cyprus or Thailand

Offline Gator

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2019, 08:14:10 AM »
If she goes to Thailand, I have some opinions to share.  I have traveled to Thailand in 1966, 1978 and several times in the 2000s.  IMO the travel experience has steadily declined as Thailand's economy and its travel industry has grown.  For example, between 1966 and 1978, Thai people changed from using woven to plastic baskets, from wearing handmade clothing to T-shirts .... (and why not!).  Most of my opinion about the change  is based on my desire to avoid the maddening crowd and immerse myself into nature and local culture.  Many sailors seek the same, so maybe your gal has the same values. 

Bangkok has a couple of interesting sights that can be seen in 1-1/2 days max.  Otherwise it is a Tuk Tuk congested, commercial, flat city that reminds me of walking into an outdated discount grocery store (the low-budget type where it feels as if your feet stick to the floor). 

In 1978 I traveled to a beach just southwest of Bangkok.  The trip took 4 hours by slow rail in open railcars,  passing pig farmers in every village, whence my Swedish girlfriend would remark with a smile, "so close to nature."   Upon arrival, we took rickshaws (actually a cyclo) to the hotel.  We frolicked on the secluded beach, at night dined at open huts along the beach,  .....  My GF had a long, linen, pleated skirt that the hotel laundry washed and pressed for a 25 cents!!!!  We rode the 2 hour bus back to Bangkok.   In today's photos that same beach area  is unrecognizable due to high rises, golf courses, etc.   

For beaches today I suggest you travel to the SW peninsula .  Important:  avoid the resort areas such as Phuket, simply too commercial and too crowded.  Keep in mind that some of the uncrowded beaches are uncrowded because they are boring.   15 years ago, my Cossack woman (wife) and I were pleased with the beaches south of Krabi. 

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mylittlenomads/galleries/72157629961026813/

In particular we loved the trips to remote beaches accessed by narrow, wooden longtail boats (see above photos and below).  A good one is  Ko Kai (Chicken Island). 

http://homeiswhereyourbagis.com/en/chicken-island-tub-island-krabi-en/

No chickens, the island is named for a rock formation.  Plenty of wild monkeys who will pilfer through your unattended beach bag.  I tried to help one Italian woman recover her medicine bottle taken by a female bandit.  I pushed the monkey with a long stick, and suddenly the alpha male jumped down aggressively and grabbed my stick.  My wife stated, "He is strong man, protecting his woman"......[For those of you who might wonder about the RW definition of a strong man].

A longer boat ride will get you to Phi Phi Islands (pronounced "pee pee"  ;) ), where Leonardo Decaprio's "The Beach" was filmed in 2000.  Don't go!  It is within boat range of Phuket and thus overcrowded. 

There are other beach areas we liked as well.    I will be pleased to offer more advice.  Being a RW, my wife liked the hotels that served full breakfasts and offered spa services and massages after exploring beaches.   

Offline msmob

Thailand
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2019, 05:58:50 AM »
Hi Phil,

MANY thanks for the info..

We know the Wongamat area, north of Pattaya, we have old RU friends from Omsk who go every year and found a 'condo' they gave me the address for another one in the same complex.

SC can live off a diet of Mango and I will hopefully join her, later.

There is a ferry across the gulf to the SW ..So, hopefully, we can check out your suggestions.

Thailand 2017

http://imgur.com/a/xncWtG6
« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 06:19:31 AM by msmob »

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2019, 10:45:32 AM »
Really appreciate this

I'm not going. SC is going with a mate as I need to go to Georgia ! ( Hello Maxx, Tblisi )

She knows Hurghada better

Look forward to seeing you. I take it SC is going to Egypt and not Georgia?

I need to leave Georgia sometime in March to comply with the Georgian residency rules of less than 360 days in country. Then the need to do a border jump and back to get another 360 days. Maybe we could think about a road trip to Armenia? A day or two clunking around there should do.

I should get to my dentist in Tbilisi as I have a broken rear tooth. He is a really good dentist that the embassy employees use. If you need a cleaning or examination they are the ones to do it at one tenth the cost of a Western dentist.

Offline msmob

Re: now Thailand
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2019, 12:03:49 AM »
Hi Maxx

The sad news is SC will be in THAILAND - not Georgia- -but you will meet me :)

This road trip sounds interesting

« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 09:02:59 AM by msmob »

Offline Maxx2

Re: now Thailand
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2019, 08:58:22 AM »
Hi Maxx

The sad news is SC will be in THAILAND - not Georgia- -but you will meet me :)

This road trip sounds interesting

Yerevan is the capital city of Armenia in the shadow (if the earth rotated the other way) of Mount Ararat. I was thinking maybe we could drive over there and look for Noah's ark? Trenchcoat sent me a map. 

I was hoping to meet S.C. Too bad, but you can scout it out for her (Georgia, not Mount Ararat).

Today I went to the "work shop". What my Russian friend calls the auto garage. I had the door lock fixed because I couldn't lock the car. I figured we might need to lock the car with your luggage. To get an idea how little things cost here. The mechanic worked on the car for 30 minutes to fix the door and I had him check the fluids. Total cost was 10 Lari, less than $4!

The second place we went to, me and my Russian friend Alex, was a place to check my tires and air pressure. I had him check my spare tire. He couldn't get the tire (tyre) stem cap off. So he had to replace it. About 15 minutes of his time. Total cost for everything was 3 Lari, about $1.15. I sure like how inexpensive things costs are here!

Offline msmob

« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2019, 07:25:19 PM »
Hi Maxx,

SC will appear in Georgia - when the sun comes out ))

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2019, 11:23:26 PM »
That makes sense. Lately (not today) it has been overcast and miserable outside. Yesterday I seen a woman walking through my parking lot wearing a fur lined parka. A few times I thought, SC wouldn't like this weather! First impressions are important.

Also spring comes early to Georgia. We should have pretty good weather from here on in. Tourist season begins May 1st (with much higher rents) but April and even March can have some pretty good days for sun bathing. 15 minute drive south of me is a good place to swim. The currents bring the silt from the river north (I can see this out my south facing window). This is south of the river near Turkey. The water there is one clearest places in the Black Sea. I'm anticipating doing some snorkel diving later this summer. I've got my swim fins, face mask and snorkel already picked out to order off Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AT2W5NI/ref=sspa_dk_detail_1?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B01AT2W5NI&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=f52e26da-1287-4616-824b-efc564ff75a4&pf_rd_r=1SGAFENS26SJV0H5QVR9&pd_rd_wg=P5gIX&pf_rd_s=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_t=40701&pd_rd_w=yO6A9&pf_rd_i=desktop-dp-sims&pd_rd_r=628fc04e-dad4-11e8-8b2a-43f93729c796&smid=AMRFYMDZRTAWB#customerReviews
« Last Edit: February 22, 2019, 11:38:30 PM by Maxx2 »

Offline Jamesukjames

« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2019, 05:03:52 AM »
very true what msob said about 2 prices in Egypt .  At the tropitel  hotel, Nama Bay the Egyptians get lower prices ,  better rooms, better restaurant service. 

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 540892
Total Topics: 20846
Most Online Today: 1958
Most Online Ever: 12701