It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Coronavirus, how are you preparing for it and how it is affecting you so far?  (Read 455990 times)

Online krimster2

• He/Him
  • Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: Resident
"I'll have you know I am an above average redneck. "

I assume that means you spell "dog" as d-o-g, and not d-a-w-g...
impressive...
cuz that would mean you're an intellectual in some trailer parks in Texas

Offline SteveInBoston

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 1 - 3
I tend to be more of a cup is half full type of guy.  Therefore, I see a benefit from the situation we have faced and are facing.

The one huge benefit of Covid-19 is that it woke all of us up to the potential of a pandemic, without the devastation of the spanish flu or the black plague.

China went through their moment with SARS in 2012.  Because of it, even though the reported numbers are questionable, they have been able to contain this outbreak.

South Korea went through the MERS outbreak in 2016, which lead them to rapidly respond to Covid-19 and contain it.

In Jan/Feb and even March, most compared Covid-19 to the cold or flu and didn't pay much attention to it.  Now we hopefully will be much better prepared to respond to the next viral outbreak.  There are still deniers out there, but the majority should be able to handle the situation properly next time (fingers crossed).

EDIT:  Typos and such.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2020, 09:48:52 PM by SteveInBoston »

Offline Grumpy

• Spouse's Country: Moldova
  • Trips: None (yet)
By now we are benumbed by the all-pervasive arguments over relaxing workplace shutdowns and stay-at-home orders due to coronavirus. In any sane society, the issue would be how to institute the most efficient measures to defeat the pandemic in the shortest time and with the lowest loss of life. Instead, Trump and his merry band of lunatics have hijacked the national debate into a faux-serious discussion of when, oh, please, how soon, can we “reopen the economy?” Naturally, the media gamely continue to play along with this calculated bit of dezinformatsiya.

It is now long past time to cast off highfalutin’ Latinisms and simply call the Republicans and their religious and secular conservative allies what they are, and in unadorned English: a death cult. As the country reels from the coronavirus pandemic, our national government might just as well be run by the infamous People’s Temple of Jonestown.

There is no longer the slightest doubt in any sane person’s mind that not only are the GOP’s fundamentalist-extremist religious allies a death cult disguised as 501(c)3 tax-exempt charitable organizations. The whole extremely well-funded edifice of “economic conservatism” is equally a death cult, worshiping Mammon so fervently that it is eager to make human sacrifice upon its altar, just like the Mayans and Carthaginians.

“¡Viva la Muerte!”

“Long live death!” That was the defiant cry of José Millán-Astray y Terreros, a general in Francisco Franco’s fascist army during the Spanish civil war. It could just as well suit Trump’s foot soldiers.

http://www.alternet.org/2020/04/the-gop-has-become-a-death-cult/
Good women are not cheap
Cheap women are not good
(but they can be a lot of fun)

Offline jone

• Trips: > 10
Holy Smoke, Grumpy!

Do you actually believe that stuff?   Most of the Republicans I know are beer drinkers.   The number of 'Born Again' evangelists that reside in Iowa has got to be in the single digit percentiles.   I read that article you posted and it scared the sh&t out of me - that someone would actually believe what was written.

Where you live, and where I grew up, the propensity of Republicans is either small business owners or redneck deplorables (as Hillary called 'em).   But in either case, they don't practice suicide as your article claims.   No matter where you are, there are going to be some weirdos.   But it is also the case for the far left.   

We'll all get through this.  I think the time for politics is not yet.   First we gotta beat the stuffing out of this virus.   Then we can take up our causes again.   In the meanwhile, the best to you and your family.   Stay safe.
Kissing girls is a goodness.  It beats the hell out of card games.  - Robert Heinlein

Offline ML

As predicted, many are going to stubbornly ignore that Donald said re-openings will be up to governors.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline Grumpy

• Spouse's Country: Moldova
  • Trips: None (yet)
SHEEEEEEET!!!!!!!!!!!
Local news reports major outbreak in packinghouse 10 miles from my home! )(*&^%$#@!!!!!!
Good women are not cheap
Cheap women are not good
(but they can be a lot of fun)

Offline msmob

Gator suggested I was 'politicising' this pandemic by pointing out the howlers of 'Trampu' ( re not locking down earlier )

Now we see 'Trampu' is suggesting some states  lockdowns are too 'harsh' ...  but he only chose to point out the Democratic run ones ...  :wallbash:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-52330531

Demonstrations calling on authorities to end the shutdown have occurred in Michigan, Ohio, North Carolina, Minnesota, Utah, Virginia and Kentucky.

The states Mr Trump referred to in Friday's tweets are all led by Democrats. Ohio and Utah, which he did not mention, have Republican governors

Why is 'Trampu' even still allowed to tweet ?  He should be locked up in a loonie bin, for his thoughtless brain farts

Offline BC

• Trips: 4 - 10
We'll all get through this.  I think the time for politics is not yet.   First we gotta beat the stuffing out of this virus.   Then we can take up our causes again.   In the meanwhile, the best to you and your family.   Stay safe.

Jone,

Really?  We're going to beat the stuffing out of it?

http://www.vox.com/2020/4/17/21223915/coronavirus-germany-france-cases-death-rate

We didn't get it right in the beginning, are paying dearly and not even getting it right in the end as far as the US is concerned.  Trump now has his fallback position and can just point the finger of blame for the aftermath at state governors.  Sure prez, keep encouraging flag-waving idiots to not follow the rulez and pressure states to open the floodgates. Go ahead, replace the 'we' with 'me' again.  Trump is as desperate as he sounds with November getting nearer.

Open beaches Florida! let's get this virus moving! Let's pray this thing away with filled pews and take home the 'spirit' with us. Open bars folks! We can't trust you to drive but sure, keep social distance even at 2.0!  Lets party!

We're not even over the infection 'hump' and declaring victory with a back to work slogan that is right in one part, the 'Again' at the end that is practically inevitable.  We have steadily more infections per day than the next 10 ranking countries put together Tomorrow will be 11, maybe more. - think about that.  Yeah, we're winning for sure!

When will we realize that none of us is safe until NYC and other hotspots are safe?

SO SAD

Offline jone

Jone,

http://www.vox.com/2020/4/17/21223915/coronavirus-germany-france-cases-death-rate

We didn't get it right in the beginning, are paying dearly and not even getting it right in the end as far as the US is concerned.  Trump now has his fallback position and can just point the finger of blame for the aftermath at state governors.  Sure prez, keep encouraging flag-waving idiots to not follow the rulez and pressure states to open the floodgates. Go ahead, replace the 'we' with 'me' again.  Trump is as desperate as he sounds with November getting nearer.

Open beaches Florida! let's get this virus moving! Let's pray this thing away with filled pews and take home the 'spirit' with us. Open bars folks! We can't trust you to drive but sure, keep social distance even at 2.0!  Lets party!

We're not even over the infection 'hump' and declaring victory with a back to work slogan that is right in one part, the 'Again' at the end that is practically inevitable.  We have steadily more infections per day than the next 10 ranking countries put together Tomorrow will be 11, maybe more. - think about that.  Yeah, we're winning for sure!

When will we realize that none of us is safe until NYC and other hotspots are safe?

SO SAD

We gotta beat the stuffing out of it.  You didn't particularly care for the situation whereby I misquoted you.

In other words, we have to do whatever we have to do to win against this virus.   Not what you said or alluded to what I said.
Kissing girls is a goodness.  It beats the hell out of card games.  - Robert Heinlein

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
Still, Kyiv officials say more than 140 monks and others at the monastery have tested positive for the novel coronavirus, and at least three have died. By comparison, Kyiv has registered more than 700 cases and 12 fatalities, and Ukraine as a whole has more than 4,660 cases and 125 deaths.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/europe/a-monastery-in-ukraine-once-scoffed-at-coronavirus-measures-now-it-is-a-hot-spot/2020/04/16/265eef7e-7fdd-11ea-84c2-0792d8591911_story.html

Ukraine is an interesting case. They started their lockdown a lot earlier along their curve than what most of Europe did. Theoretically Ukraine along with Russia and most of Eastern Europe got cases of Coronavirus appear later than Western Europe, assuming cases were being counted correctly enough. So while we in the UK & US were about 2-3 weeks behind mainland Europe and had the heads up from them on how it might be better handled Ukraine is about 2-3 weeks behind us so has even more of a time advantage on this.

So they have had more breathing space to prepare for it and heads up on how it might best be tackled. So much easier for them to go into lockdown earlier along the curve than mainland western Europe. I think here in the UK we could have gone into lockdown sooner since Italy had done so. It does take time to notify businesses and prepare society & the economy but I think we spent time fumbling around for a correct response to the virus. I'm not sure we got it quite right as I think apart from locking down sooner that other than gyms, restaurants, etc closing we should have kept more businesses operating but just introduced strict social distancing measures as specified by the government for them and instead banned the one exercise a day. I fear that we may have done too much damage to our economy as a result of shutting too many businesses where we may need not have done so. That is something we may face as a major economic problem in the future along with other west European nations.

Ukraine meanwhile while they may have a better take on dealing with the whole Corona virus problem a question mark remains over the impact on their economy. While they are getting loans in from Germany, Europe, IMF, etc these loans are going to have to be paid back. On a poorer nation a lockdown that is likely to last just about as long as in the west could have a heavier impact. Ukrainians that have been working in Poland sending money home are no longer getting that better money and are now home out of work. While others are out of work after businesses have been shuttered. Even after many countries lift their lockdowns travel between countries may be restricted for quite some time.

If Ukraine has flattened the curve early then they could end up coming out of this about the same time we do, will just have to wait and see on that one I reckon.
"If you make your own bread, then and only then, are you a free man unchained and alive living in pooty tang paradise, or say no and live in Incel island with all the others." - Krimster

Offline BC

We gotta beat the stuffing out of it.  You didn't particularly care for the situation whereby I misquoted you.

In other words, we have to do whatever we have to do to win against this virus.   Not what you said or alluded to what I said.

Indeed, apologies for that misquote. Haste makes waste, cleaning garage today.

Offline Gator

Now we hopefully will be much better prepared to respond to the next viral outbreak.  There are still deniers out there, but the majority should be able to handle the situation properly next time (fingers crossed).

Good point.  We were not fully prepared for COVID.  Nor was the world.  Changes coming, some dramatic. But first....let's knock out this particular virulence. 

Offline Gator

Demonstrations calling on authorities to end the shutdown have occurred in Michigan, Ohio, North Carolina, Minnesota, Utah, Virginia and Kentucky.

The states Mr Trump referred to in Friday's tweets are all led by Democrats. Ohio and Utah, which he did not mention, have Republican governors

You should read about some of the activities shut down in Michigan.  People can not buy seeds for their gardens, and can not go to their dacha.

I believe Trump responded only where protests were held.  Many of those locked down in areas with few cases of COVID are losing their patience as their businesses evaporate.   

Still, Trump should let the Governors take the lead, and his tweets undermine them. 

Why is 'Trampu' even still allowed to tweet ?  He should be locked up in a loonie bin, for his thoughtless brain farts
[/quote]

Offline BC

Plenty of seeds for gardens on amazon.

Offline msmob

You should read about some of the activities shut down in Michigan.  People can not buy seeds for their gardens, and can not go to their dacha.

It's a lockdown .. those things are 'essential' ?   Govt ministers in Scotland were asked to resign for asking folks to 'stay at home' and then going to their 'Dacha'

I believe Trump responded only where protests were held.  Many of those locked down in areas with few cases of COVID are losing their patience as their businesses evaporate.   

Do these people not realise we're all in this together ?

Still, Trump should let the Governors take the lead, and his tweets undermine them. 

Agreed... But you didn't comment on Trampu' being selective as to who he criticised ..Politicising ..something you objected to !  ..

[/quote]

Online Faux Pas

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: No Selection
Jone,

SO SAD

I do understand your POV. I expect living in a hot spot certainly shapes that view. Nothing to substantiate this number but I am guessing 75-80% of the country (US) is not in a hot spot. Those flag waving idiots to which you refer are at this point just regular people of which whom many have not been able to work in now 5 weeks or more. Believe it or not, most of these people live paycheck to paycheck. The $1200 bucks helps very little. They're worried, tired, broke, deflated and hungry for food and more.

Business will take care of business given the green light to pursue, especially in the areas where infections are low. Distancing and other precautions can be observed while business and commerce is allowed to go. This isn't an "all or nothing" adventure IMO

Offline msmob

The point is this IS an all or nothing 'adventure' as you'll soon enough BE a hotspot by carrying on as normal ...

Online Faux Pas

The point is this IS an all or nothing 'adventure' as you'll soon enough BE a hotspot by carrying on as normal ...

You have been wrong on every opinion you've ever stated on these boards. Now is no different

Offline msmob

You have been wrong on every opinion you've ever stated on these boards. Now is no different

So you keep trying to tell anyone who'll 'listen' and 'believe' you ..

Please state nations refusing to lockdown that have lower rates of infection / deaths than their neighbours ( other than Belarus ! )

Online Faux Pas

So you keep trying to tell anyone who'll 'listen' and 'believe' you ..

Please state nations refusing to lockdown that have lower rates of infection / deaths than their neighbours ( other than Belarus ! )

As expected more deflection from the resident moron. If you state an opinion I'd advise anyone reading it to do exactly the opposite. Please do point out where I mentioned anything related to rates of infection/death vs neighbors?

Offline msmob

The resident 'moron' was NOT deflecting .. simply trying to get you to join in a discussion with actual facts ...  you know .. to support your assertion ..

So, the question remains ...  take your time.. 

Online Faux Pas

The resident 'moron' was NOT deflecting .. simply trying to get you to join in a discussion with actual facts ...  you know .. to support your assertion ..

So, the question remains ...  take your time..

I have no desire to engage in discussion with a moron. You're too predictable, always wrong and feeble minded and incapable of an intellectual discourse. You made that strawman, now attack it all you wish

Offline msmob

I have no desire to engage in discussion with a moron.

Just to troll an assertion by yours truly, that CAN be backed up, 'name call' and offer NO ( valid) counter ...

Online Faux Pas

Just to troll an assertion by yours truly, that CAN be backed up, 'name call' and offer NO ( valid) counter ...

That's your strawman fallacy. Have at it and back it up all you wish.

Offline msmob

'strawman'  .. "intentionally misrepresented proposition that is set up because it is easier to defeat than an opponent's real argument."

You posted no 'argument' - you trolled mine ..

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8884
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541432
Total Topics: 20863
Most Online Today: 2422
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 8
Guests: 1952
Total: 1960

+-Recent Posts

International travel by 2tallbill
Today at 02:39:39 PM

Re: Does it ever feel strange to visit a place where you were with a previous girl? by ML
Today at 02:16:29 PM

Does it ever feel strange to visit a place where you were with a previous girl? by Trenchcoat
Today at 11:21:59 AM

Re: Russian/Ukranian women - views on sex before marriage? by Trenchcoat
Today at 08:13:26 AM

Re: The Struggle For Ukraine by Trenchcoat
Today at 08:03:37 AM

Re: Russian/Ukranian women - views on sex before marriage? by krimster2
Today at 08:03:06 AM

Re: Russian/Ukranian women - views on sex before marriage? by ML
Today at 05:45:25 AM

Re: Russian/Ukranian women - views on sex before marriage? by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 11:54:55 PM

Re: Hard work -- How can I explain this to my Russian wife? by Trenchcoat