It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Four Year Wonders Got Married: Ochka and ML  (Read 196737 times)

Offline ML

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: > 10
Wife is back in classroom
« Reply #1150 on: August 31, 2021, 07:58:48 AM »
Ochka decided not to teach anything for Fall and Spring 2020-21.
This was due to Covid concerns and my health issues (broken ribs and clavicle).

Now, despite Covid still here, she is back in University classroom for
Fall 2021 as a Graduate Teaching Assistant.  (Note: this title is somewhat misleading as most such have full responsibility for the class; not just helping regular professors)

She and all students are wearing masks.

Also there is strict adherence to seating assignments.
This is due to reporting requirements if any student develops Covid.
In that case, professors must report the names of students sitting beside, in front of and in back of those students.

Office hours are conducted via Zoom.

Wife has completed everything for PhD except dissertation which she is working on.

Now a very big job is to search for job openings for Fall 2022 and submit applications along with a ton of supplemental info.

Guess who gets to do that latter job !!!

There is some possibility that she will be able to get a job right here at the University, even as all Universities have a dislike for (and some even have absolute rules against) hiring back their own students.  The idea is to achieve genetic (in the academic sense) diversity of thought, rather than inbreeding.
Winston Churchill.  “The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.”

Offline BC

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: 4 - 10
Re: Four Year Wonders Got Married: Ochka and ML
« Reply #1151 on: August 31, 2021, 08:34:38 AM »
Really great to hear all is well, with your ol' bones recovering, and your wife going far with her career! 

I assume she loves her calling, so great to hear she can get back in the classroom again.

IIRC jb's wife is also a PhD, prof at some university down south.  Haven't heard from him despite sending an email. Hope they are doing well.  Have you heard from him recently?

Offline ML

« Reply #1152 on: August 31, 2021, 08:44:14 AM »
I assume she loves her calling, so great to hear she can get back in the classroom again.

Yes, wife can't imagine doing any job other than teaching.
And it has one big advantage that most FSU folks desire . . . 2-3 months free in summer to return to visit family and friends.
Winston Churchill.  “The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.”

Offline ML

« Reply #1153 on: August 31, 2021, 08:47:04 AM »
IIRC jb's wife is also a PhD, prof at some university down south.  Haven't heard from him despite sending an email. Hope they are doing well.  Have you heard from him recently?

Haven't seen him anywhere for several years.

I don't think his wife has PhD.
I think she taught at Junior College or High School.
I remember jb telling about helping to grade her Algebra tests.

Our current poster 'Steamer' has FSU wife with PhD in math also.

Offline BC

« Reply #1154 on: August 31, 2021, 09:29:33 AM »
Yes, wife can't imagine doing any job other than teaching.
And it has one big advantage that most FSU folks desire . . . 2-3 months free in summer to return to visit family and friends.

Not only FSU folks.  My father was a teacher, and we always enjoyed the summer months on long travels.  Some summers we would live near a university where dad would further his studies. Even drove across the USA and back to the east coast. We kids knew how to set up a 2 BR tent in a few minutes.  Many, many good experiences as a kid.  Only downside was that few cars back then had air conditioning, and ours did not.  Old station wagon with a big rack on the top for all the camping gear.  Later a VW van with even larger rack with more camping stuff, LOL.

Offline ML

« Reply #1155 on: August 31, 2021, 10:50:15 AM »
  Only downside was that few cars back then had air conditioning, and ours did not. 

Yes, none of my parent's cars back then had A/C.
But it didn't really bother us.
Windows were the A/C of the day.
Now, I get allergy problems if I drive even a few miles with windows down as my truck's A/C is on the fritz.

Online BillyB

• Good Story
« Reply #1156 on: August 31, 2021, 07:35:52 PM »
Now, I get allergy problems if I drive even a few miles with windows down as my truck's A/C is on the fritz.

Compressor not turning on or turning on but not blowing very cold? Get UV leak detector to see if there's a leak somewhere. Low pressure will prevent the compressor turning on. Fix the leak. Get a cheap vacuum pump like the one in the link below to get the atmosphere out of the system before you install new A/C refrigerant. I can direct you to a youtube video for step by step instructions if you need.

http://www.harborfreight.com/25-cfm-vacuum-pump-61245.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=12144811130&campaignid=12144811130&utm_content=117789273518&adsetid=117789273518&product=61245&store=190&gclid=Cj0KCQjwpreJBhDvARIsAF1_BU1hbthtUKerN6Wty44tVUpoRtyCKqCv5zaX1VIsJx33oJIk7uUJSkIaAkxFEALw_wcB
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline ML

Amazing Para-Olympic results for Ukraine
« Reply #1157 on: September 06, 2021, 08:49:14 AM »

Rank Team   Gold    Silver Bronze    Total
1.   China   96   60   51   207
2.   GBritain   41   38   45   124
3.   RPC    36   33   49   118
4.   USA    37   36   31   104
5.   Ukraine   24   47   27   98

Wife is continually amazed at what these Ukrainian folks achieve given that virtually no government help is provided; and the attitude of most Ukrainians toward handicapped people is  . . . they should stay home and out of the way.

Offline BC

« Reply #1158 on: September 06, 2021, 11:03:05 AM »
Driven is a word I can use to describe UA folks I have known and work with for the last 20+ years.  Very motivated to get ahead in life.

Offline ML

How could Ida skip from New Orleans to New York City ??
« Reply #1159 on: September 07, 2021, 07:38:07 AM »
Could someone explain how Ida mostly skipped over Tennessee, Kentucky, West Virginia, Ohio and western Pennsylvania . . . and then hit hard in Philadelphia, New Jersey and New York City ??

What 'big guy or gal' said:  "OK let's hold all that water up in the sky until we get to NY "  and then was able to pull it off ?

Offline ML

Where were you on 9/11/2001
« Reply #1160 on: September 11, 2021, 05:59:37 PM »
I was in St Petersburg, Russia on a consulting assignment and NOT chasing RW.

Online CaptB

« Reply #1161 on: September 11, 2021, 06:57:59 PM »
I was in Tver, Russia on 9/11. I was in the office of LTP (Lifetime Partners) talking to my friend Chuck. The news was on...on the offie tv when the announcement came on. We thought it was a comedy  sketch. Our Russian friends immediately said this was a "real" news report.....a plane had crashed into the trade center buildings. I had to stay in Russia for an extra week as fights coming from abroad were canceled.

My friend JB was also in Russia (Moscow) at the time. He had to go back (on time)as he was teaching a group of oil mining workers classes in technical aspects of locating oil.
He made it back to the US the long way. He took a train to Helsinki....a plane to London.....then to London, Ontario........a bus to Detroit.......then flew to Houston. I was happy to stay the extra week.

Capt B
"A Yooper in Moscovia"

Offline ML

College Football week 2
« Reply #1162 on: September 12, 2021, 09:51:17 AM »
Unranked Stanford came down to my USC boys and beat them at home.  Ouch !!

But my U of Iowa team beat cross state rival Iowa State at ISU's home field.  Both teams were ranked in top 10.

I'll bet Ohio State and Texas fans are in quite a bit of shock.

Can Notre Dame maintain 8 ranking after just barely beating weaker teams two weeks in a row?

And, as usual, there was a plethora of stupid matchups.  The big boys should be ashamed of themselves.

Online BillyB

• Good Story
« Reply #1163 on: September 14, 2021, 09:18:21 AM »

9/11 I was at Caterpillar getting a hydraulic hose. Howard Stern was on their radio. At first I thought it was a joke because it came from Howard.
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8835
Latest: Rah_1234
New This Month: 5
New This Week: 2
New Today: 1
Stats
Total Posts: 529415
Total Topics: 20443
Most Online Today: 1568
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 22
Guests: 1510
Total: 1532

+-Recent Posts

Re: Afghanistan by BillyB
Today at 10:01:31 PM

Re: Has anyone here ever told a girl they like her but not how she is dressed? by Trenchcoat
Today at 07:42:03 PM

Re: Are American Men whipped? by ML
Today at 04:46:09 PM

Re: Has anyone here ever told a girl they like her but not how she is dressed? by Trenchcoat
Today at 11:52:17 AM

Today at 11:40:48 AM

Re: Are American Men whipped? by BC
Today at 11:23:53 AM

Re: Are American Men whipped? by GQBlues
Today at 11:07:27 AM

Re: Vaccines for Travelling Abroad by BC
Today at 11:03:44 AM

Re: Are American Men whipped? by BC
Today at 10:49:39 AM

Re: Vaccines for Travelling Abroad by GQBlues
Today at 10:49:31 AM