It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: All Good Things Come to an End  (Read 135112 times)

Offline I/O

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
All Good Things Come to an End
« on: August 03, 2007, 10:28:37 AM »
I am not much one for extensive trip reports of my own so to say, but as the good things of being single are coming to an end, I thought I might develop a little trip report covering her last few weeks (For the moment) in Russia and my final preparations for her arrival, along with the travel and organisation nuances which litter the interim.

Several years ago, shortly after I divorced, I never thought I would say this, but I have actually come to enjoy living alone to an extent. Knowing for the last year or so that there was a finite time in my bachelor life, probably made it all the easier. The oldest literature known to man says somewhere that it is not good for a man to be alone.  I'll give an answer on that in about 5 or 10 years time. ;D

The dates are now set and the train has been set in motion.  Tickets have now been bought and passports, visas etc are under control and in hand so to say.  Touch down and game over day for me is 6.30am September 10th, which was actually supposed to be a week earlier, but as with all things in this pursuit, nothing ever quite works out exactly as planned. 

Including today, I have 6 weekends left to either paint this town completely red or get my head down and have everything the way I would like for her arrival.  I say her, but in fact there is 2 hers and a him. My fiance' will of course be bringing her/our son and I have invited my MIL2B to come along also and remain until after our wedding.

The locals consider I have gone quite mad for a number of reasons, but most of all "I/O why in the hell would you want a mother-in-law around the place for weeks on end"?  Fair question I guess, however I am rather fond of her and if I was her I would want to be here for my daughters wedding also. Further, I see it being of great assistance to my fiance' during the settling in period.

She admits to feeling sad from time to time as she prepares to leave Russia.  She understands the worst is yet to come. She knows she must "Very being strong". ;D But it is times like these when we as guys can realise just how easy we have it in some ways.  These Russian women DO place their trust and their future in our hands more so than perhaps any other would. She has the good fortune of having been here before for extended time, but this will be the real deal. 

So the progress report is that tickets are bought, visas in hand, packing has started in Russia and hair tearing has started in Australia, because I seem to have about 4 million things to arrange over the next few weeks, not least of all project managing the building of a new camper trailer which is kind of our wedding present to ourselves and with summer upcoming is likely to spend several weekends at the ocean resorts not far from my city. Being something of a perfectionist with mechanical equipment and having a history in the field of trailer construction myself, I am the constructors client from hell.  Go figure.

I will not include any great amount of photos pur se' however I will toss a couple in here and there for interest sakes and to start with, in light of much discussion about website photos and what guys should or shouldn't look for, below is who I fell in love with.  (Note to Catznmouse...tell me exactly where one of these pics was taken) Further updates as they occur.

I/O   
« Last Edit: August 03, 2007, 10:36:43 AM by I/O »

Offline groovlstk

Re: All Good Things Come to an End
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2007, 10:37:45 AM »
Your fiancee is absolutely gorgeous, good luck to you both.

I also get along great with my MIL, and I suppose other guys would also if their's didn't speak a lick of English :) Funny, we took her to a fancy restaurant on the last night of her recent visit. The waiters all wore blue denim shirts and khaki pants, and at first my MIL was curious as to why the restaurant was crawling with policemen :)

I did my share of celebrating before my fiancee arrived, on the last weekend I went out with friends, did a "rat run" as we call it here (a 2AM excursion to White Castle). When I woke up my hangover was such that I lost all my nostalgia for single life!

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Spouse's Country: No Selection
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2007, 10:38:33 AM »
She is beautiful Mat - and knowing you just a bit from your posts, I would wager that her inner beauty is at least the equal of her external beauty.

Congratulations!

- Dan

Offline I/O

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2007, 10:47:27 AM »
I would wager that her inner beauty is at least the equal of her external beauty.
- Dan

Dan this is the culmination of 2 1/2 years of hard work, soul searching and figuring.  The next stage (For a few months) is likely to be quite fun and after that, I suspect it will become quite a grind for both of us to really pull together and make this thing we have set our hearts on work.

The top photo was all I had to go on for quite a while and I guess it was, as is always the case with me, the eyes that got me in. As to the inner qualities, I eventually became convinced over time that they matched what the eyes were telling me. BTW, no sexy photos with this lady on websites. She is rather scathing of what she sees or has seen on many sites.  She remarks that Russian women need to lift their game to attract the right class of men. (I guess there is something of an ego stroke for me in that) :-\

I/O

Offline Daveman

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2007, 11:12:34 AM »
I agree I/O, those eyes are magnetic.. (same for me.. the eyes are where it all begins)..

She's a doll, and from the way you've described her.. a treasure too!

I wish you the best

Dave
The duty of a true patriot is to protect his country from its government. -- Thomas Paine

Offline TigerPaws

• 16 years together & still very much in love
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2007, 11:21:39 AM »
She is a very pretty lady I/O,

Life with these ladies is one hell of a roller coaster ride, enjoy yourself the experience is well worth it.

TigerPaws

Offline LenaC

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2007, 11:39:45 AM »
I/O

I totally understand how much responsible you feel for the happiness and wellbeing of your fiancee. I will suggest you to install Russian television (you probably already thought about it) This is a great thing to fight homesickness from my experience.

I am very excited for you and wish you all the best.
Lena C
« Last Edit: August 03, 2007, 11:41:19 AM by LenaC »

Offline I/O

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2007, 11:49:15 AM »
I will suggest you to install Russian television (you probably already thought about it) This is a great thing to fight homesickness from my experience. Lena C

LenaC: Noted, thankyou and yes it is being worked on.  Unfortunately we have limited choices regarding Russian TV even on the cable channels here, but there is some options available. We do also have 1 Russian radio channel which may also be useful.

I have leaned hard on your husband for advice over time and you might not get away free either. ;D We may well lean on you from time to time for input.  Thanks for your comments and it was actually your report that prompted me to start this thread.  I hope to maybe get a certain other lady involved at a later stage, but she is more of a reader than a poster.

I/O

Offline Jazzyclassy

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2007, 01:28:29 PM »
I /O everything 's gonna be great and you know this:)

Offline TigerPaws

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2007, 05:57:13 PM »
I/O if you have a high speed internet connection and you are interested PM me and I will send you a link to a Canadian web site that your lady can watch just about everything from news, soaps, talk shows and movies for $40.00 a month. My lady loves the programing and so far the company seems to be honest.

TigerPaws

Offline I/O

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2007, 08:41:59 PM »
T/P Hang the link up here if you dont mind please. My idea of this thread was to give anyone who may be interested or close to the same stage some ideas regarding the little things that come across the radar at the last minute as one gets closer to the relocation and or wedding, keeping it rolled into one area.  Anyone is very welcome to toss anything in they feel is relevant. 

Your link may well be useful to others apart from us.  I have discovered some downstream services and it might well be I end up going that way.

BTW, below is when all else fails communications wise during early times way back when. :D

I/O   

Offline TigerPaws

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2007, 04:55:50 AM »
http://www.etvnet.ca/

My wife really enjoys the programing from this web biased TV company, so far they have been honest in their offerings and charges.

TigerPaws

Offline I/O

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2007, 05:27:08 AM »
T/P:  Thanks, looks like a fair range of programing available.  If luck's a fortune then I am diamonds, because there has been (I found it first time today) a new package of 6 direct Russian channels dropped into the market place down here. Me thinks I's on a roll with this TV thing now. :D

I/O

Offline TigerPaws

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2007, 05:34:12 AM »
I/O,

We used to have Dish Network but according to my wife they lost all of the good programing to Direct TV so we switched, I am sure of your offerings down under they may be different.

TigerPaws
« Last Edit: August 04, 2007, 06:07:39 AM by TigerPaws »

Offline Turboguy

« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2007, 07:18:09 AM »
Your fiancee is very beautiful I/O.   VWRW and I want to wish you a lifetime of happiness and we are sure you won't miss single life for a second.   We think you two will be among the happiest of couples on RWD.    We are impressed with your abilities to relate to people and believe this will translate to the ability to build a happy life for her and a wonderful life together.

VWRW with a little help from me is trying to put something into words that we are having trouble with but she was impressed with the way you maneuvered the situcations with Jazzy and defused some misunderstandings and put things back on track and she thinks that you will be protective and understanding with your woman and will have a very wonderful relationship.

Offline Gator

« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2007, 07:28:39 AM »
I/O,

Everything will be fine.  You took your time and carefully and tenderly built a solid relationship before deciding about marriage.   This next step is just a logical extension of the lifelong commitments that you have already made.

You impress me as someone who is very determined, yet thorough and empathetic.  Your future bride is in good hands.  BTW, she is gorgeous!

Offline MaxxumUSA

• Back in the game!
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2007, 03:40:01 PM »
I/O...

I wish you and your woman all the best.  I'm with you awaiting a BIG change in my lifestyle very soon.  I've been paiting the town as you put it - but that needs to stop soon.  I only have 14 more days to prepare for my woman.

Cripes - I better get busy!

Oh...  and I don't know about you - but I don't think I will miss the freedoms of being single all that much.  I feel much more comfortable living with a good woman.
Back to having fun in life!

Offline I/O

« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2007, 06:35:09 PM »
Turbo: I am too protective sometimes. However when I see people going at each other through misunderstanding or whatever, I see it as a waste. I hate waste. (Maybe the Deutz comming out in me). Personally I wish anyone the greatest happiness, however when I see dangers I yell pretty loud. (Maybe not always in a way that is appreciated) The thing that stayed with me the longest and was the hardest to put to sleep after divorce was just the "Total waste" of emotions, finance, opportunities and so forth.  It is just ridiculous how it plays out at times.

Gator: Nothing is certain in life other than death and taxes.  Yes we have worked hard thus far, but there is a whole lifetime of work to come. We are both very detirmind people.  Such has created fireworks over time and I think that's a good thing. I reckon no relationship is going anywhere until the two have had a good old fashioned "Knock down drag out Blue". (We've had a few I can tell you) She won me once and for all after the first really serious arguement. It was finished, she never turned her back, never sulked, never mentioned the subject again after the issue was sorted.  Rare trait in women IME. However, we recognise there is no certainties in this caper, but I am confident we can give it our very best shot.

Maxxum: I've been thinking of you quite a deal lately.  All the best for you and yours.  I am not serious about painting the town red, as the "Singles" lifestyle ain't really my scene anyway.  In most cases it degenerates to a bunch of slobbering, half drunk guys trying to get laid.  Not particularly impressive. 

IMO my biggest single weakness in life is being a slow thinker. Maybe it has served me well in this pursuit as when I am not fully convinced about something, I "Shelve" it until I see more information or enlightenment. Time will show.

I/O 
« Last Edit: August 04, 2007, 06:47:11 PM by I/O »

Offline Makkin

• Opted-Out
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2007, 07:00:00 PM »

Best Wishes.

Makkin
FUBAR

Offline ScottinCrimea

« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2007, 06:44:10 AM »
One thing that I haven't seen suggested here is to either get a Russian keyboard for your computer or have her purchase one there and bring it over with her.  She will want to access the internet even if only to chat with friends and that will make things a lot easier for her.

Offline I/O

« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2007, 06:58:07 AM »
One thing that I haven't seen suggested here is to either get a Russian keyboard for your computer or have her purchase one there and bring it over with her.  She will want to access the internet even if only to chat with friends and that will make things a lot easier for her.

Scott: Right on. We've actually talked about that and if you look upthread, I posted a photo of her "Keyboard" conversion when she was here the first time. That conversion has been upgraded slightly and remains here on my desk. I also have another laptop with net connections which has been changed to Russian settings, so she can have her own to do as she pleases. You are right on the money here, when she was here first time, chatting with friends back in Russia was a big help for her.  It is quite simple for us as there is only 3 hours time zone difference also, so she often caught her friends during the work day.

I've spent the day today fitting some componants I didn't want the constructor to fit to our camper trailer.  Hi techy little water pump, solar charging systems, fancy electrics and so forth.  She has given me her list of her "Must Haves" also. ;D ;D She thinks it's a girls toy, but it is really a boys toy. ;D ;D This has been the real surprise for me. I floated this idea some months ago expecting a fairly cool reaction, but she jumped all over the idea and went researching websites, making suggestions and generally buying right on in.  Quite a surprise.

I/O
« Last Edit: August 05, 2007, 07:02:49 AM by I/O »

Offline ScottinCrimea

« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2007, 07:03:22 AM »
I think that you will find that the RW way of thinking is much closer to that of a western man than the typical AW. or in your case OzzieW.

Offline I/O

« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2007, 07:06:27 AM »
I think that you will find that the RW way of thinking is much closer to that of a western man than the typical AW. or in your case OzzieW.

Interesting comment.  I have pondered that exact thought over time and I would be interested to hear other take's on that, but IME, I am inclind to agree.

I/O

Offline Kuna

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2007, 06:57:52 AM »
I/O,

It's great to see this TR and your thoughts, feelings and actions leading up to your "soon to be wifes" arrival. 

I don't know about you but I'm jumpng out of my skin waiting to see her.   :D  Of course I'll let you guys settle in before I drive "up the range" but give me a hoi and I'm there.

I wish you, your lady and your new "little one" all the very best for the future!

Kuna

Oh...  As for painting the town red...  hmmm...  Looks like I've gotta get up there pretty soon and while red might be dangerous maybe we can try for a good robust maroon!   ;)

(For those that aren't locals, our state football team wears a maroon jersey)   :thumbsup:

Offline I/O

« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2007, 07:09:41 AM »
Oh...  As for painting the town red...  hmmm...  Looks like I've gotta get up there pretty soon

I think my enthusiasm for red is fading fast.........kinda back to a shade of pink right now and probably be stark white by the time you get your butt up here.  BTW our home will always be as my home has been, the door is always open to most anyone anytime so long as you take us how you find us.

I/O

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8884
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541284
Total Topics: 20859
Most Online Today: 2190