Forum > Immigration and Visas

My Russian friend seeks asylum in USA

(1/4) > >>

ProfessorJeep:
Background: the Biden administration just announced that they welcome Russian asylum seekers who are fleeing the military mobilization.

Current: My Russian ex is a doctor who is next in line to be called up to the front. She’s had doctor friends die already when they were mobilized. The announcement she shared with me shows that any time doctor with military experience, surgical training, or a few other criteria will be mobilized.

She wants to GTFO. I’m doing my best to help.

Question/situation: What resources or free legal aid would best assist her?

What I know of asylum goes like this: she needs to percent herself at the southern border with her young daughter and say that she has a credible fear of persecution in her home country if deported.

She can’t apply for asylum remotely; it has to happen in the United States or at a port of entry.

She can only do it at the Mexican border, because if she goes to Canada first, Canada and United States have an agreement that she should seek asylum in Canada instead.

It appears that the “remain in Mexico“ policy has been recently lifted, so I don’t know how long she and her daughter would have to stay in Mexico before entering the US and waiting for her asylum hearing.

What else can you add/alter about this understanding?

Does anyone have suggested resources, free legal aid, an immigration lawyer that cost money but is great, or a better idea?

Thanks and advance!

BC:
Maybe something similar...

ProfessorJeep:
Thanks for sharing. Yeah, that whole waiting at the border thing is what worries me. Not always a safe place.

ML:

--- Quote from: ProfessorJeep on September 29, 2022, 10:24:14 AM ---Current: My Russian ex is a doctor who is next in line to be called up to the front.

--- End quote ---

She is not a war protester nor a supporter of Ukraine.
She is only wanting to protect her ass now.

ProfessorJeep:
America and I are happy to protect her ass. 🇺🇸

http://www.reuters.com/world/us/white-house-us-welcomes-russians-seeking-asylum-2022-09-27/

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version