It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Shipping from US to Ukraine  (Read 4349 times)

Offline eagle59

Shipping from US to Ukraine
« on: October 27, 2007, 10:18:43 PM »
Hello All, what are my choices for reliable letter and package shipment from US to Ukraine? I have been writing to a lady and have plans to visit with her the 28 Dec 07 thru 12 Jan 08. I have allready traveled to Ukraine Mar 07. Very interesting country.
The lady I met previously did not look at all like her pictures and she had many multiple issues and was not very warm or open. I did however meet another very nice lady halfway thru my stay and she was very warm, nice and friendly. She was not the one, however and I am going to meet soemone new this time...and just in case, I am planning on setting up tenative meetings with one or two other ladies. Any input would be appreciated.

Tom
It is not how much we do, but how much love we put in the doing. It is not how much we give, but how much love we put in the giving.

Offline Mishenka

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 4 - 10
Re: Shipping from US to Ukraine
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2007, 10:52:07 PM »
Hi Tom,,  at this late date,  your best bet is to take the package there yourself in December.  Unless you know someone you can trust who is traveling there sooner. The rate of theft for packages is very high.   Many people in  the FSU still consider everything comunity property,, whats yours is mine and whats mine is ours mentality.  The letter sent seperate will get there much sooner than a package.  My experience is from 6 or 7 years ago and hopefully mail delivery is better now. 
 best of luck!

Michael

Offline eagle59

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2007, 11:07:55 PM »
Thanks
It is not how much we do, but how much love we put in the doing. It is not how much we give, but how much love we put in the giving.

Offline Kuna

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2007, 12:49:14 AM »
Hello All, what are my choices for reliable letter and package shipment from US to Ukraine? I have been writing to a lady and have plans to visit with her the 28 Dec 07 thru 12 Jan 08. I have allready traveled to Ukraine Mar 07. Very interesting country.
The lady I met previously did not look at all like her pictures and she had many multiple issues and was not very warm or open. I did however meet another very nice lady halfway thru my stay and she was very warm, nice and friendly. She was not the one, however and I am going to meet soemone new this time...and just in case, I am planning on setting up tenative meetings with one or two other ladies. Any input would be appreciated.

Tom

Tom,

Letter delivery to Ukraine is still "patchy" and package delivery is worse.  If you need to send something try to take it with you as Misha said.

I think you're on the right path with regards to meeting a lady on your trip AND having a back up plan...

Which city are you visiting?

Rather than arranging "one or two other" ladies to meet if it doesn't work out with the first you might consider visiting an agency IF it doesn't work out with the first lady and doing some "speed dating" from there.

Even though you've been before I'd encourage your participation here as there are many men with good experience that could be a big help when planning and when "on the ground" in UKR.

Best of luck over Christmas.

Kuna

Offline Simoni

• Trips: > 10
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2007, 05:53:42 AM »
Hello All, what are my choices for reliable letter and package shipment from US to Ukraine?

From the US to Ukraine, as you asked, the service is very good and dependable. Over a two year period, I sent a package every two weeks.  I mostly used Global Express from the United States Postal Service.  This cost between $24 and $36, but is based upon weight. They call the girl when it arrives in Ukraine, and deliver it to her.   100% (more than 20 packages) made it, and generally in 5 business days.

Letters and other packages are slower.  But for an airmail stamp, you can send her a letter and she will get it in 3 weeks.   I sent about a dozen of those, and all made it but one.   I also tried just sending packages by airmail.  For awhile I was excited--they were getting there in 10 days and cost about 8 bucks.  But then one package took 2 months (customs held it up), so I went back to Global Express.

« Last Edit: October 29, 2007, 06:02:13 AM by Simoni »

Offline Simoni

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2007, 06:00:18 AM »
I am going to meet soemone new this time...and just in case, I am planning on setting up tenative meetings with one or two other ladies. Any input would be appreciated.

Your plan is a good one, Tom.  Also, Kuna is correct in that "you might consider visiting an agency IF it doesn't work out with the first lady and doing some "speed dating" from there."

Check with some of us with experience in Ukraine for a list of the few good agencies.  What city will you visit?

And by the way, welcome to RWD!

Offline BillyB

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2007, 08:10:36 AM »

Tom, which agency are you using? Some agencies photoshop the ladies pics so they look much better in the pic than in real life to bait and hook customers.
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline ScottinCrimea

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2007, 10:58:59 AM »
I agree with Simoni.  I have sent numerous packages and letters from the US to Ukraine and all arrived with no theft or loss.  For larger packages when I'm not in a hurry I use MEEST, which sends by sea and takes 5-6 weeks.  they call you when it arrives and deliver to your door.  for smaller packages and letters I have used the US Postal service with no problems.  The delivery time can be variable, ranging from 10 days to 3 weeks, but everything gets there.  I only had one set of packages held up in customs and that was because they confused donated medical textbooks with medical supplies.  It was cleared up with no problems.

Offline groovlstk

• Spouse's Country: Russia
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2007, 12:03:38 PM »
I've also sent dozens of packages to the Ukraine in the past via US Global Express and not a single one went missing.

Offline Kuna

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2007, 02:09:26 PM »
 :(

How come everyone's packages are getting through???   :ROFL:

Out of everything I sent to UKR two parcels never arrived (One with all the visa documents and one with gifts - perfume, CD's, book, etc). All others were delivered as explained above (received at the post office and a phone call advised My Girl she had to collect it).

I generally used Australia Post "International Express" which can't be tracked on the web after it leaves Australia BUT that was faster than Australia Post International Courier (that can be tracked up until it arrives in Kiev). From memory the Express International parcels cost $43 and the International Courier parcels cost $67.

The gift parcel flew International Courier and I could see when it arrived into Kiev but it didn't make it to Dnepr...

Aust Post quotes up to 10 days for delivery for both services yet nothing ever arrived in less than 15 days and sometimes took over a month. 

We're STILL waiting for a letter to be delivered to Moscow that should have arrived about a week ago... again i's gone Express International - but there's nothing to do except wait I guess!

Maybe postal workers "imagine" that Australian parcels contain exotic gifts like Koala's and Kangaroos???   :o

Kuna

Offline tim 360

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2007, 06:17:47 AM »
I've done well over the years using USPS for Ukraine and Western Russia.  Very simple.  There is also the Global Express and another Express option; if there is much value in the package.  Not all cities are served, ya gotta check with USPS on that.  My average for air mail letters is 7-9 days and the same for return letters.  Never had a letter or package "lost". 
"Never argue with a fool,  onlookers may not be able to tell the difference".  Mark Twain

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8884
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541536
Total Topics: 20868
Most Online Today: 1799
Most Online Ever: 12701