It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Watch What You Eat in Russia  (Read 11215 times)

Offline mischief

Watch What You Eat in Russia
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2006, 01:05:41 AM »
Racer, that's very good you buy only organic products but honestly I hate to spend money on organic meat… I love meat, veal in particular and eat it a lot… but in my organic store it costs a small fortune… I can afford it but I buy organic meat mainly for my year-old son.

Diary products, eggs, some fruits & vegetables are organic only in my house.

It all depends where the priorities are… some people would say that they can't afford it but they would buy bunch of crap which wasn't worth the money like frozen dinners, soda and candies…

« Last Edit: January 22, 2006, 01:13:00 AM by mischief »

Offline Bruno

« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2006, 11:57:19 AM »
RacerX wrote :

And, yes, I know the European food budget is significanty higher.

Need more research: Where's Bruno?  ;)

Quote from: dostogirl
and foods that show a very long list of vague ingredients under the umbrella of 'natural' and artificial flavors.[/size][/color][/font]

Not all additives are bad... some are natural... unfortunaly, producer use E code and a few know what they mean...

If you wish educate yourself, take a look at http://www.ukfoodguide.net/index.htm

For parents of child, you can find the list of additives to avoid for child at http://www.ukfoodguide.net/bestavoided.htm

By example, some additives have been shown to cause temper tantrums and disruptive behaviour in up to a quarter of toddlers. http://www.ukfoodguide.net/childrensfoodsanddrinks.htm

You make what you wish with your own health but the health of your children are your own responsability... If i need to choose between a tropical holiday and the health of my child, i know what to choose : the health of child...

Offline RacerX

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2006, 06:05:02 PM »
[user=343]mischief[/user] wrote:

[size="3"]It all depends where the priorities are… some people would say that they can't afford it but they would buy bunch of crap which wasn't worth the money like frozen dinners, soda and candies…[/size]

mischief ~ yeah, that was going to be my next point exactly.  When I look in the shopping baskets of the people in line ahead of us I see them packed with processed foods, chips, and other assorted junk-foods.

I guess like everything else in life, it's simply a matter of priorities.  Every family has x percent of discretionary spending capability - what they do with it (vacations as Bruno points out, buying crap food, smoking and so on) is their decision.  But when it comes to your children's health, a few dollars spent each week on organic milk/vegies will probably save you thousands more in the future.

Offline dostogirl

« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2006, 07:03:59 PM »
Quote from: RacerX
 it's simply a matter of priorities. 
Even with the right priorities, we, for example, can't afford organic. And we usually do not eat processed foods, chips, and other assorted junk-foods. :(

Offline ConnerVT

« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2006, 07:38:22 PM »
You all need to buy my new book: Quit Smoking, Exercise, Eat Right, and Still Die

Eating one kind of food or another, in itself, ain't gonna kill you.  It's eating the same stuff (and too much of it) again and again.  The idea is a balanced and diversified diet. 

No one is really sure just what constitutes a correct diet.  If they did, there wouldn't be a million different diet book, plans, programs, and miracle drugs out there.  Even the "experts" can't agree, even on a single food.  First eggs were good for you.  Then they were bad for you, then they are good for you again.  Good cholesterol, bad cholesterol.  Can someone even give an answer in less than 100 words what constitutes the legal definition of "Organic Food'?

One McDonald's hamburger probably won't kill you.  Twenty of them a day?  My guess, not so good for you.  Wash you vegetables well before eating them, organic or not.  Undercooked "organically raised" meat is probably worse for you than industrial farm raised, well done pork.

Enjoy your food, without stuffing your pie hole full.  Humanity has survived for a long time eating food much less clean than what we eat now.  Somehow, we all made it to read this post.  A very wise man said,  All things in moderation, with nothing in excess.

Offline philb

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2006, 07:59:20 PM »
Amen

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8884
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541382
Total Topics: 20862
Most Online Today: 2438
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 10
Guests: 2427
Total: 2437

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 11:31:49 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Manny
Today at 11:07:15 AM

Re: international travel by krimster2
Today at 09:50:04 AM

Re: international travel by 2tallbill
Today at 08:20:37 AM

Re: Trippin........... by 2tallbill
Today at 08:06:00 AM

Re: Trippin........... by Trenchcoat
Today at 06:09:50 AM

Re: Trippin........... by ML
Today at 05:21:01 AM

Trippin........... by 2tallbill