It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Change of life style  (Read 7004 times)

Offline DCcowboy

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: None (yet)
Change of life style
« on: January 13, 2019, 10:30:45 AM »
My Russian Lady has appears to be very very classy. Do Russian women always dress this way? I dress in a suit most of the time for work. But on the weekends I am in jeans and acomfy sweater and typically a baseball cap and of course cowboy boots. I am worried that this change of causal vs. dressy will disappoint her. For those that are married was your Russian Lady disappointed at all with the more casual style? it

Offline ML

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: > 10
Re: Change of life style
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2019, 10:46:38 AM »
I think most FSUW adapt over time to the more casual dress common in USA.  A few resist for years.

However, even those who do dress more casually most of the time, like to dress up more frequently than AW when any excuse arises.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline Jamesukjames

• Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2019, 11:01:14 AM »
Cowboy in ukraine you seek guys in Nike gym gear walking out with girls in cocktail dresses and heels.  Relax.  Be the alpha male let her do most of the talking and most of the coming to you and giving you affection.  Think Bruce Willis and you'll do fine.  Don't go all merrosexual on us.

Offline Jamesukjames

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2019, 11:04:37 AM »
In belarus it's black jeans and a shirt unless your going into top places in Minsk then it's a suit.  Most belarus women buy cheap clothes and get a local lady to tailor it for them.

Offline Jamesukjames

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2019, 11:06:19 AM »
Your married male friends will make idiots of themselves in front of her and their wives will hate the competition

Offline Jamesukjames

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2019, 11:13:43 AM »
From a UK point of view you have to completely reset your mind.  Slavic women dress to please themselves it's not about you.  They love to dress themselves up think little girl with doll.  As long as you wear a quality scent and your shirt is ironed and you work out in the gym a bit she won't notice.  A frayed collar she will pick up on .  What colour your shirt is she won't give a damn as long as it's clean.  Just always be alpha show some beta and your finished.  Oh and clean shoes they are mad about clean men's shoes.  Slavic women under 40 just love buying dresses and heals and shopping for clothes and looking in mirrors.  You'll be barefoot and in slippers round the house as will she be

Offline Boethius

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: No Selection
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2019, 11:26:32 AM »
Some women dress to please themselves, others, to garner attention.  Slavs, in general, dress up if they are out in public, and wear house clothes at home.

This post was composed without the aid of google.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 12:11:30 PM by Boethius »
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline Jamesukjames

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2019, 12:00:10 PM »
Well as many have said home is knickers bra and slippers.

Offline Jumper

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2019, 12:01:44 PM »
My Russian Lady has appears to be very very classy. Do Russian women always dress this way? I dress in a suit most of the time for work. But on the weekends I am in jeans and acomfy sweater and typically a baseball cap and of course cowboy boots. I am worried that this change of causal vs. dressy will disappoint her. For those that are married was your Russian Lady disappointed at all with the more casual style? it

I wouldn't sweat these details until you build the foundation of a solid relationship.

You will never be able to accurately predict how any given individual will adapt to a new culture, so if you choose to date internationally, your spouse not adapting or liking your culture is one of the possibilities.
If they love you this shouldn't be a deal breaking issue.

As ML said most people adapt to a new culture and environment.
Some experience various degrees of culture shock, some dont notice much at all.

My wife was fairly western culture mentality regardless, so not only loved it here,but adapted quickly and certainly relaxed to  more casual attire
I seldom wear a suit,as my work nor circumstances require it or would make it even remotely practical.
  That said, I never wore one dating my wife, and never gave her any reason to think I ever would unless it was a particular circumstance to call for it. (Specific restuarant, ceremony  or event)

She does like when I dress a bit sharper,but ive somehow managed set the bar so low that a nice (slim) fitting pair of jeans and shirt fit that bill.
 :ROFL:

I know it's nothing to be proud of, but it's just relaying information. Our relationship has little to do with either of our nationalities or cultures,   they they may have affected who we are as individuals.

Your mileage may vary,in fact it is likely to!

:)

« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 12:04:34 PM by Jumper »

Offline Boethius

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2019, 12:11:06 PM »
Well as many have said home is knickers bra and slippers.

In normal families, no. Women have house dresses/yoga pants. Men typically wear sweatpants and t-shirts.

After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline Lily

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2019, 12:38:50 PM »

Oh yes we do take pride in our looks that would include clothing.  :)

At the same time, we pay attention to what is appropriate to wear for a particular occasion, and are paying attention to the surroundings.

I think that your Russian lady will soon notice how do people around her tend to dress, and will pick up a good idea of what would be appropriate. Even then I think she would chose something on the higher end ;)
Da, da, Canada; Nyet, nyet, Soviet!

Offline DCcowboy

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2019, 01:12:29 PM »
Thank you for your perspective. So many unknowns here, I am really out of my eliminate. Especially thank our Ladies for posting.

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2019, 01:32:56 PM »
She will care how you look so don't be shocked if she tells you what colour of shirts compliment your features, what style of shoes you might choose, etc. I learned long ago that she is happy choosing much of my wardrobe, and that is because she cares about how I am perceived. I appreciate her good taste and frankly, she has made me up my game in the wardrobe department. I value her insight.

As Bo says, dress or housecoat inside. She would probably wear heels to take out the garbage but we'll never know because one of my rules is that the man takes out the garbage. She was tempted to circumvent that rule in times past but I am adamant about that one. She might gather it up and let me know that it is ready, but as I told her when we first started....a real man hauls the garbage.

The Mendeleyev Journal. http://mendeleyevjournal.com Member: Congress of Russian Journalists; ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.RU (Journalist-Russia); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.UA (Journalist-Ukraine); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.KZ (Journalist-Kazakhstan); ПОРТАЛ ЖУРНАЛИСТОВ (Portal of RU-UA Journalists); Просто Журналисты ("Just Journalists").

Offline DCcowboy

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2019, 03:03:36 PM »
She will care how you look so don't be shocked if she tells you what colour of shirts compliment your features, what style of shoes you might choose, etc. I learned long ago that she is happy choosing much of my wardrobe, and that is because she cares about how I am perceived. I appreciate her good taste and frankly, she has made me up my game in the wardrobe department. I value her insight.
I will be looking forward to this....... But she already told me she likes my style, semi dressed up.

Offline Nightwish

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2019, 03:18:44 PM »
 ;D
You know nothing about women?
I don't doubt she already likes it, but she will make it 2-3 steps better, (been there done that :p )
I will be looking forward to this....... But she already told me she likes my style, semi dressed up.
Multitasking means screwing up several things at once.

Offline Jamesukjames

« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2019, 03:49:03 PM »
One of the best parts of dating fsu is watching your lady strut through London turning the heads of men and women fortunately they do not adapt and still have the shortest dresses and smartest heels after several years.  If you end up living with her you kitchen is going to get an ergonomic makeover as is your wardrobe and your bedroom bedlinen and curtains.  So might as well wait.  Most fsu have good taste.  if I was you id complement and support her dress sense why import a Ferrari and turn her into a Chevrolet

Offline Boethius

« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2019, 04:43:25 PM »
Most fsu have good taste. 
In my experience living there, and visiting often, I disagree. Their style tends to be ostentatious, a sort of Louis XIV meets the Ottoman Empire.  Our daughter, in her mid teens, loved going to the Russian store, as there she would see seventy year olds in fishnet stockings and four inch heels, and  women with huge fur hats and garish makeup. I’m not saying all FSUW are like this, but it’s the norm rather than the exception.

« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 04:45:53 PM by Boethius »

Offline DCcowboy

« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2019, 06:09:41 PM »
Just to clear things up I love the way she dresses. She has sent my dozens of photos. And I have only seen her in a knee high dress once most of the time she is in mid calf dresses or pants, and can't see her ever wearing fish net or anything close. Like I said she is very classy. I want her to keep dressing the way she dresses. Very elegant style even in causal.

Offline DaveNY

« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2019, 06:39:27 PM »
One of the best parts of dating fsu is watching your lady strut through London turning the heads of men and women fortunately they do not adapt and still have the shortest dresses and smartest heels after several years.  If you end up living with her you kitchen is going to get an ergonomic makeover as is your wardrobe and your bedroom bedlinen and curtains.  So might as well wait.  Most fsu have good taste.  if I was you id complement and support her dress sense why import a Ferrari and turn her into a Chevrolet

This is something some men who have never lived with a woman don't seem to understand. When you get married you're lifestyle will change. Your wife is going to want to redo your home because now she lives there too.

Look for your bedroom to be redone. Your bed will be thrown out. Closet redone. More dressers. New paint. Then your living room, kitchen, etc. It will cost money and time. This will happen if you marry a FSUW or a Chinese woman or even your local woman down the street.

If you don't understand this you shouldn't be looking for a woman in the FSU or even in your own town.

Offline DCcowboy

« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2019, 07:09:22 PM »
I am not sure how the discussion changed to trying to educate me on what it is like to live with a woman. But believe me I understand.  :cluebat:

What you'all are talking about is minor!! I did three full house remodels for my first wife. BTW That is the danger of being a general contractor. She had me moving walls like they were Legos. Changing and adding window as if it was as easy as drawing it on paper. So you want to talk about expensive, the first remodel cost me 70k usd$ in materials alone and that was on the lower end of the three. I understand this part very clearly. If I get away with just buying furniture and decorating and painting. I would be a very happy man. That is nothing to me. Easy-peasy. I understand some men are a little intimidated about removing walls, but not me.

What I was asking about and maybe was not clear. Is about if when Russian Ladies come to US or other, do they maintain the same fashion. Because she dresses like a runway model. Inclusive of furs, jewelery, silk, etc. She is a very classy Lady. But maybe instead of remodeling a house my money will be going to make sure she is well taken care of, which of course I wouldn't dream of anything less.

The two Ladies that responded cleared up my question.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 08:44:13 PM by DCcowboy »

Offline ML

« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2019, 08:15:56 PM »
This is something some men who have never lived with a woman don't seem to understand. When you get married you're lifestyle will change. Your wife is going to want to redo your home because now she lives there too.

Look for your bedroom to be redone. Your bed will be thrown out. Closet redone. More dressers. New paint. Then your living room, kitchen, etc. It will cost money and time. This will happen if you marry a FSUW or a Chinese woman or even your local woman down the street.

If you don't understand this you shouldn't be looking for a woman in the FSU or even in your own town.

Dave, your statement is too general and all encompassing.

Just one example - - - my Ukrainian wife.
She has not wanted to change anything in our house.
Our only purchases have been for computers and bigger TV which would have happened even if I were living alone, and a set of China that she fell in love with at an auction.

The only substantial change was to install a huge garden.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline southernX

« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2019, 11:01:51 PM »
well after 9 years +  my wife has become somewhat relaxed about dressing up to the max , she will still do this for formal occasions and where a dress code is required , she always maintains her hair , nails  , skin complextion and figure diligently .

at home she will wear  casual clothes , in daytime , or housecoat in evening after a shower ...

ar work i always wear proffesionl attire , but at home im very practical wearing older comfy clothes

what she  did struggle with was me going from working in my shed , wearing working clobber , that may not be too clean or new , but practicla for the job at hand and then suddenly needing to visist the local hardware place [bunnings ] to quickly grab  a required piece of timber or saw blade , irrigation part etc
when this occurred she was quite surprised i did not go and shower , re dress , go to hardware ,then come back to home and re change back into work gear ......

when overseas , in ukraine or russia  she was even more concerned i was dressed well than at home ...new watch ,  haircut , new everythign was required , even though not needed .this was part of her care for me , but also i was a reflection on her and her choice of foreign husband ....others there on metor et would always stare you out as aforeigner and appraise you as to dress style , quality , and price etc

so it has developed over time , as mendy correctly points out , you do raise your own level up to theirs in some ways  , but they also compromise on some of their prior standards ..
over time you dont even notice it , you just know what works for you both as acouple

SX
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 11:03:46 PM by southernX »
Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.

Offline DaveNY

« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2019, 11:23:44 PM »
Dave, your statement is too general and all encompassing.

Just one example - - - my Ukrainian wife.
She has not wanted to change anything in our house.
Our only purchases have been for computers and bigger TV which would have happened even if I were living alone, and a set of China that she fell in love with at an auction.

The only substantial change was to install a huge garden.

Not even get rid of your bed and redo the bedroom? Your wife is definitely the exception. You should keep her.

Offline The Natural

« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2019, 05:50:57 AM »
My experience after my wife being with me for 6-7 years is that she dress pretty much like everyone else around here, which means casual in everyday life and nice for special occasions. I don't see any difference between local women and women from eastern Europe around here. I always feel most comfortable wearing a bathrobe in the evenings when just staying home. She took after that and also does it. Every evening :-)

There were no big demands in changing the house. Except for bedroom and playroom and toys/bed, etc. for our little son. She is very careful to care for his needs and putting aside her own needs most of the time. Of course every normal parent anywhere on earth loves for and cares for their children, but Russians might very well take that an extra step.

Offline GenMish

« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2019, 06:12:42 AM »
I am not sure how the discussion changed to trying to educate me on what it is like to live with a woman. But believe me I understand.  :cluebat:

What you'all are talking about is minor!! I did three full house remodels for my first wife. BTW That is the danger of being a general contractor. She had me moving walls like they were Legos. Changing and adding window as if it was as easy as drawing it on paper. So you want to talk about expensive, the first remodel cost me 70k usd$ in materials alone and that was on the lower end of the three. I understand this part very clearly. If I get away with just buying furniture and decorating and painting. I would be a very happy man. That is nothing to me. Easy-peasy. I understand some men are a little intimidated about removing walls, but not me.

What I was asking about and maybe was not clear. Is about if when Russian Ladies come to US or other, do they maintain the same fashion. Because she dresses like a runway model. Inclusive of furs, jewelery, silk, etc. She is a very classy Lady. But maybe instead of remodeling a house my money will be going to make sure she is well taken care of, which of course I wouldn't dream of anything less.

The two Ladies that responded cleared up my question.

Well DC, sorry to tell you
If she has lots of high end clothing and jewelry, you very likely are remodeling at least the bathrooms and closets. The good news is, you probably wont have to hire a designer, she will draw up the plans. Before all that, she might remodel you. Mine did, and I looked like a million bucks. I have no question that her caring for my wardrobe led to greater success for me

Don't ask me why? Mine grew up in a Stalin era apartment, and all of a sudden , no matter how nice your house is, it is going to change. But it is part of the fun to have projects together

also on the other thread you mentioned meeting in Belgium. Consider Andalusia instead. My inlaws loved it there, that was our place to see them, beaches are nice around Nerja but most Russians seem to stay in the Alicante area(its not nicer, just cheaper)

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541007
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 11
Guests: 1891
Total: 1902

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:51:13 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:33:48 PM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:24:44 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 11:16:08 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by ML
Today at 10:31:43 AM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 09:47:10 AM

What to do by 2tallbill
Today at 09:37:41 AM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by 2tallbill
Today at 09:18:17 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 07:00:25 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Brillynt
Today at 06:16:36 AM