It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Apartment in Russia  (Read 14063 times)

Offline fathertime

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: > 10
Re: Apartment in Russia
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2015, 06:21:37 PM »
Hi guys!

I'm new here but have an interesting question.  My Russian fiancee is coming here to the US to marry me but is only going to rent her apartment in Moscow, not sell it.  Why?  We won't be going there to live ever!  Is it some sort of safety net or is it a Red Flag?

Well Ken, I think it is entirely reasonable for her to keep her apartment in Moscow...no red flag.

Another thing, I'd see the apartment as a very good thing...I know nothing of your relationship except that it might be a little 'newish' (I base that on the question you asked) If that is the case, then her having a place to go in Moscow is a VERY good thing if you need to unload her, if the marriage goes south  You would want her to exit the country post haste and having a place for her to go, and her own income will help you rid yourself of her, IF it ever came to that.

Good luck,

Fathertime!   
I just happened to be browsing about the internet....

Offline Gator

• Spouse's Country: Russia
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2015, 06:28:56 PM »

... her having a place to go in Moscow is a VERY good thing if you need to unload her, if the marriage goes south  You would want her to exit the country post haste and having a place for her to go, and her own income will help you rid yourself of her, IF it ever came to that.

Yes Ken - "Best Wishes" for your marriage from your chummy pals at RWD.

Offline fathertime

« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2015, 06:35:35 PM »
Yes Ken - "Best Wishes" for your marriage from your chummy pals at RWD.

I don't know Ken, and see no reason to 'act' chummy, at the expense of giving him a good reason why it isn't bad that his lady has an apartment as backup, as it can work for his good as well as hers...in the case of marriage not working out....which is pretty common.

Fathertime!   
I just happened to be browsing about the internet....

Offline cc3

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2015, 06:41:58 PM »
My fiancee fled from moskalis invading Luhansk. She owns an apartment there. It's probably occupied by Chechen mercenaries or Rostov cossacks now.

Hope your lady sells before counterattacking Ukrainians invade Moskva.

:zap:

Offline Hammer2722

• Spouse's Country: Belarus
  • Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2015, 07:25:38 PM »
I was just asking if this was normal.  I get the reason why.  Relax.  I didn't come here to be judged, I just had a question.  In the big scheme of things, your opinion means nothing.  I just wanted to ask something.

:applaud:
every ship can be a minesweeper at least once...

Offline jone

« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2015, 09:00:03 PM »

Ah, the savior to the rescue.

This dude is asking if it is a red flag for this women to sell off her assets and move across the world to be with this guy while this dude hasn't mentioned what he is doing for her.  He can walk away without any monetary damage while she could be financially destroyed.

What I don't understand is why this isn't common sense for her to want to keep the apartment.

I can see why the above response would be considered a little flippant.  A man bringing a future wife here to the United States cannot get out from under the financial obligations inherent to such a move.  He does NOT walk away without financial damages.  Average fee to bring her over, based on my participation on the forums for the past couple of years is around $15,000.

Keep in mind that there are many visa responsibilities as well as the actual costs involved with bringing her here. 

But your assertion that it is common sense to keep the apartment is appropriate.  That, in my opinion, is NOT a red flag.  I would automatically recommend to anyone coming over to keep their apartment.  Disposing of assets prior to spending time in marital bliss is like Billy Bob Thornton eating up the Pre-nup in the movie Intolerable Cruelty.  While it might seem a great gesture, it leaves parties exposed.
Kissing girls is a goodness.  It beats the hell out of card games.  - Robert Heinlein

Offline LiveFromUkraine

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2015, 10:05:41 PM »
I can see why the above response would be considered a little flippant.  A man bringing a future wife here to the United States cannot get out from under the financial obligations inherent to such a move.  He does NOT walk away without financial damages.  Average fee to bring her over, based on my participation on the forums for the past couple of years is around $15,000.

Keep in mind that there are many visa responsibilities as well as the actual costs involved with bringing her here. 

But your assertion that it is common sense to keep the apartment is appropriate.  That, in my opinion, is NOT a red flag.  I would automatically recommend to anyone coming over to keep their apartment.  Disposing of assets prior to spending time in marital bliss is like Billy Bob Thornton eating up the Pre-nup in the movie Intolerable Cruelty.  While it might seem a great gesture, it leaves parties exposed.

The above response was more towards Hammer's silly post than Ken. Rereading it I can see how it can come across as flippant.   Still, it is truth and it's easy to see her side of things if he would stop thinking about himself and put himself into her shoes for a minute. 

Walking away from 15k isn't financial destruction and I wouldn't really consider that damage unless it wasn't affordable in the first place.. She, on the other hand, would be walking away from a career, support network and assets.   I don't think Ken really understands how dependent she will be on him. If he can't even figure out why she would want to keep her flat, how the hell will he be able to help her with that transition?

Not that selling her flat is the real question here...  Him still looking for red flags is the real take away and others here seems to want to coddle him instead of telling him the truth.  Next we will be telling others they should marry people that don't speak the same language because it possibly could work out.  ;)
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 10:41:07 PM by LiveFromUkraine »

Online 2tallbill

• Living the dream
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2015, 01:12:30 AM »
Geez guys, it is a question.  Has anyone had this situation.  I cannot be sure about everything in life

It's her apartment, she's a landowner and like many she wants to
keep it. Renting it out will give her some income of her own.

Moving away from all her family and friends to a new country with a
new language and culture is a giant leap of faith.

Don't worry about the apartment. Make sure you have removed any
photo of any woman who is not your mother, daughter or one of you
sisters from you computer. Get ready for her to arrive you will be busy
for quite some time.

Udachi!

Bill
FSUW are not for entry level daters
FSUW don't do vague
FSUW like a man of action. Be a man of action 
If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane.
There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up
Just kiss the girl, don't ask her first. Tolerate NO excuses!

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2015, 02:12:42 AM »
Ken, (if you are still around), there is a load of experience and good help available here, but guys have seen everything from heart warming success stories to gut wrenching train wrecks. Thus, over time you will be challenged from time to time, and although you may not always feel receptive, the heart breaks are for those who refuse to learn from those with experience.

It is a renters market just about anywhere in Russia now, but over time that will change.

As LFU wrote, she is giving up more than you realize. Her job, home, family, language, culture, and daily way of life will soon be turned upside down. Massive adjustments are on the way in a new culture and country. And, if she were to ever return, the stigma of having abandoned Russia and then having to return will follow her in everything from job hunting to relationships with neighbors, family and friends.

Her keeping an apartment is a small tiny, winy speck on the windshield when considering the changes coming to her life--and yours.

The Mendeleyev Journal. http://mendeleyevjournal.com Member: Congress of Russian Journalists; ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.RU (Journalist-Russia); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.UA (Journalist-Ukraine); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.KZ (Journalist-Kazakhstan); ПОРТАЛ ЖУРНАЛИСТОВ (Portal of RU-UA Journalists); Просто Журналисты ("Just Journalists").

Offline The Natural

« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2015, 04:43:38 AM »
Agree With those that say this is no red flag. My wife has an Apartment in Crimea and rents it out to a Young couple. Gets a little cash for it too. I see no problems With that, only positives.

Offline Shadow

« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2015, 07:19:13 AM »
Apart from it being a safety for her, it can serve as an additional pension for her parents if you do not need the money. Right now some extra cash is pretty much welcome.

No it is not a dog. Its really how I look.  ;)

Offline jone

« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2015, 07:38:47 AM »
Of course, then, there's Calmissile's wife's apartment in Yalta.  I might have had a different opinion on whether to keep that apartment.
Kissing girls is a goodness.  It beats the hell out of card games.  - Robert Heinlein

Offline Shadow

« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2015, 07:56:13 AM »
Of course, then, there's Calmissile's wife's apartment in Yalta.  I might have had a different opinion on whether to keep that apartment.
I would certainly keep it. Apart from that it will be well worth the long run, right now you can rent it to the CIA or FSB.

Offline jone

« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2015, 08:27:45 AM »
I would certainly keep it. Apart from that it will be well worth the long run, right now you can rent it to the CIA or FSB.

Make sure you buy lots of Rubles as an investment too, Shadow.  I hear those are going to be worth quite a bit over the next couple of years.  Sure am glad you're not my investment counselor.

Offline The Natural

« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2015, 08:36:05 AM »
Make sure you buy lots of Rubles as an investment too, Shadow.  I hear those are going to be worth quite a bit over the next couple of years.  Sure am glad you're not my investment counselor.

The Next couple of years is an eternity when it comes to currencies. If you have roubles, at least you get interests on it in Russian banks. That's more than here in the west. So what if the rouble has decreased a lot. So did Our NOK, the Euro is on the way Down... a race to the bottom some say. Anyway, we live in interesting times as Our Chinese friends says.

Offline jone

« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2015, 08:56:00 AM »
Take one more note on that apartment in Yalta:

The apartment is owned by a Ukrainian national who lives in the United States.  It is owned in an area that was instantly depressed by the death of the tourist industry over the past year.  Couple with that the idea that properties that are 'undefended' are being seized by the local government and new 'businessmen' operating in Yalta.  Such reminds me of the local Soviets coming in to occupy a city and that all property now belongs to the 'people'.

No, I wouldn't want to be a Ukrainian owning property in Yalta.

Offline Shadow

« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2015, 08:58:02 AM »
If your investment counselor advises you to sell low and buy high it is time you have him replaced.
If you sold an apartment in Yalta one year ago you would be feeling good. If you still have it, now is not the time to sell.

Melodramatic doom scenarios rarely occur, in 5 years the geopolitical situation can be completely different, including the property values in Yalta.

Offline jone

« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2015, 09:21:07 AM »
If your investment counselor advises you to sell low and buy high it is time you have him replaced.
If you sold an apartment in Yalta one year ago you would be feeling good. If you still have it, now is not the time to sell.

Melodramatic doom scenarios rarely occur, in 5 years the geopolitical situation can be completely different, including the property values in Yalta.

Maybe we could invite Calmissile here to give us an update on what his wife is doing.  In a way, I believe, they are trying to ride out the storm.  But it is for him to share or not share, not me.

Offline Wayne

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #43 on: January 28, 2015, 10:50:14 AM »
Russia does not have property tax as we have here. If she has a close family member or friend who can collect the rent, check on the property, make sure the utilities are paid, etc, then it could be a little income for her. As most have indicated, she probably won't get a job in USA for a while.

If there is a lease, it would be a good idea to list the rent in US dollars if someone would agree to that. Russia has a flat income tax rate, which I think is 13%. Most people do not have to file any tax return. The tax is taken by the bank when you get a payment. If the rent money is taxed in Russia, then it would not go against your US tax.Remember, people don't use checking accounts in Russia; everything is paid in cash. Your future wife would not have a tax liability to USA until she has her green card.

Offline ML

« Reply #44 on: January 28, 2015, 11:58:03 AM »
Your future wife would not have a tax liability to USA until she has her green card.

Not necessarily  true.

USC husband and non-USC wife can file joint tax return even before green card received.

This will generally lead to lower overall taxes owed to Fed as compared to married filing single or single.

However, if you go the joint tax return route . . . all income earned by either anywhere in world is subject to USA taxation.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline calmissile

« Reply #45 on: January 28, 2015, 01:45:05 PM »
Not necessarily  true.

USC husband and non-USC wife can file joint tax return even before green card received.

This will generally lead to lower overall taxes owed to Fed as compared to married filing single or single.

However, if you go the joint tax return route . . . all income earned by either anywhere in world is subject to USA taxation.

My  understanding also.
Doug (Calmissile)

Offline Anotherkiwi

• Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #46 on: January 28, 2015, 05:19:54 PM »

Does the USA not have a double-taxation exemption agreement with any other countries?  It would appear from this article in "Time" magazine (which I realise is a couple of years old) that yours is the only country in the world with these draconian rules.

http://world.time.com/2013/01/31/mister-taxman-why-some-americans-working-abroad-are-ditching-their-citizenships/

Offline Boethius

• Trips: No Selection
« Reply #47 on: January 28, 2015, 05:27:00 PM »
Treaties are not double taxation exemptions, although they do tend to eliminate double tax.

The US is a signatory to numerous taxation treaties.

After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline Anotherkiwi

• Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #48 on: January 28, 2015, 05:33:10 PM »
Treaties are not double taxation exemptions, although they do tend to eliminate double tax.

The US is a signatory to numerous taxation treaties.

I realise that, but do those treaties preclude double taxation of their citizens living overseas?  Ours do.

Offline Boethius

• Trips: No Selection
« Reply #49 on: January 28, 2015, 05:34:53 PM »
All tax treaties are based on similar (OECD) models.
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 540997
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 1994
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 10
Guests: 1982
Total: 1992

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:20:42 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 09:12:54 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:02:12 PM

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 08:45:42 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 07:59:27 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 07:04:53 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 06:59:45 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 06:57:42 PM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 06:36:52 PM

Re: Twenty Years... and Counting (MarkInTx Update) by supranatural
Yesterday at 03:02:29 PM