It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Transnistria: The Last Soviet State  (Read 6782 times)

Offline jone

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
Transnistria: The Last Soviet State
« on: March 29, 2014, 10:24:23 AM »
Those of you reading through the travelogues and MOB sites will often come across women from Moldova.  What you don't read is the ongoing state of affairs of this small country and the breakaway "autonomous" state called Transistria, which exists within Moldova's geographic outline.

Transistria has recently garnered notoriety because of the attention it is getting as an excuse for Russia to invade Ukraine.  Russia wants the ability to repatriate this forgotten landlocked area into the greater Russian society.  I will defer from making any political comments.

If you happen to be shopping for a woman from Moldova, you should note the dramatic difference between, say, Tiraspol and, say, Kishinev (Chisinau) which lie only 80 km or 50 miles apart.  Tiraspol is inside Transistria and Kishinev is one of the largest cities and capital of Moldova.  But to travel from one to the other, you must travel through checkpoints with armed guards, tanks and machine guns.

Here is a quick look at the map which shows the juxtaposition of Transistria within Moldova.

Those of you who are unfamiliar with it, take a good look.  I have the feeling we will be hearing more about it very soon.

Following is a good article from AtlasObscura which gives a thoughtful look at the small area.

http://www.atlasobscura.com/places/transnistria

Kissing girls is a goodness.  It beats the hell out of card games.  - Robert Heinlein

Offline LAman

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: 4 - 10
Re: Transnistria: The Last Soviet State
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2014, 05:44:03 PM »
Those of you reading through the travelogues and MOB sites will often come across women from Moldova.  What you don't read is the ongoing state of affairs of this small country and the breakaway "autonomous" state called Transistria, which exists within Moldova's geographic outline.

Transistria has recently garnered notoriety because of the attention it is getting as an excuse for Russia to invade Ukraine.  Russia wants the ability to repatriate this forgotten landlocked area into the greater Russian society.  I will defer from making any political comments.

If you happen to be shopping for a woman from Moldova, you should note the dramatic difference between, say, Tiraspol and, say, Kishinev (Chisinau) which lie only 80 km or 50 miles apart.  Tiraspol is inside Transistria and Kishinev is one of the largest cities and capital of Moldova.  But to travel from one to the other, you must travel through checkpoints with armed guards, tanks and machine guns.

Here is a quick look at the map which shows the juxtaposition of Transistria within Moldova.

Those of you who are unfamiliar with it, take a good look.  I have the feeling we will be hearing more about it very soon.

Following is a good article from AtlasObscura which gives a thoughtful look at the small area.

http://www.atlasobscura.com/places/transnistria

Jone, are you turning into a talking head???
Have you ever been to Moldova??
Dramatic difference??? No difference between those cities you mention other than one is much bigger than the other....is that what you were inferring?? Yes, there is a check point, a very small one at Transnistria border but....... tanks.....armed guards....machine guns.... :ROFL:

Lets get real....most Moldovians are much closer to Romania. There is some kind of relationship between guards on both sides ( moldova & transnistria) because I mentioned my friend's military relative in Moldova I was treated easier. I no longer will go through transnistria area for it is much easier to go through another border town further south that is out of transnistria area. I will admit, the wait can be much longer going through transistria border( tying to get bribe).
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift

Offline steveboy

• Commercial Member Restricted
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2014, 10:30:56 AM »
Jone, are you turning into a talking head???
Have you ever been to Moldova??
Dramatic difference??? No difference between those cities you mention other than one is much bigger than the other....is that what you were inferring?? Yes, there is a check point, a very small one at Transnistria border but....... tanks.....armed guards....machine guns.... :ROFL:

Lets get real....most Moldovians are much closer to Romania. There is some kind of relationship between guards on both sides ( moldova & transnistria) because I mentioned my friend's military relative in Moldova I was treated easier. I no longer will go through transnistria area for it is much easier to go through another border town further south that is out of transnistria area. I will admit, the wait can be much longer going through transistria border( tying to get bribe).

I think the man who started this thread is totally clueless with the situation in Transnistria!! I lived in bender for 12 months DO NOT LISTEN TO ANY BULLSHIT PROPAGANDA about the place! The people there are great! I traveled in and out of the republic every other day to Moldova. Why oh why do people who know nothing about a situation write such nonsense! Please do not make it sound like a prison camp!! fools!!

Offline Gordon Styer

• Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2014, 05:00:07 AM »
Transistria sounds like an amazing place... :D

lordtiberius

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2014, 08:14:46 AM »
Steveboy loves the place.  I won't be going there for security reasons.

Offline fathertime

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2014, 11:27:54 AM »
I think the man who started this thread is totally clueless with the situation in Transnistria!! I lived in bender for 12 months DO NOT LISTEN TO ANY BULLSHIT PROPAGANDA about the place! The people there are great! I traveled in and out of the republic every other day to Moldova. Why oh why do people who know nothing about a situation write such nonsense! Please do not make it sound like a prison camp!! fools!!

I agree, the original poster thought he was getting 'ahead of the story' and acted as if the place was going to be invaded.  Of course none of that has happened. 

Fathertime!   

I just happened to be browsing about the internet....

Offline Boethius

• Trips: No Selection
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2014, 01:34:06 PM »
He'd be "behind the story" if that was his thinking. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/14th_Army_involvement_in_Transnistria

But, I suspect it was not his thinking. 
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline jone

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2014, 03:24:29 PM »
The purpose for starting this thread was to give guys considering women from the FSU a quick heads up that this is a flash point. 

Last week Moldova requested that Russia remove all military equipment from the country.   It is an oft repeated request by Moldova.   Here is an interesting article that appeared today:

http://en.itar-tass.com/world/744538

In it, the leader of Transnistria is claiming that Ukraine is creating tensions on the border by building a moat as well as planning future armed confrontations.    Frankly, I think Ukraine has enough on its plate.

So, for all of you contributors who think I have some ulterior motive in posting this thread, perhaps what I was really doing was raising tensions on this forum so as to increase readership.   :rolleyes:   :popcorn: 

Kissing girls is a goodness.  It beats the hell out of card games.  - Robert Heinlein

lordtiberius

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2014, 06:06:52 PM »
I never thought 2 years into this there would be a war.  If I had known I would have went to Puerto Rico

Offline Anotherkiwi

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2014, 06:07:44 PM »
I never thought 2 years into this there would be a war.  If I had known I would have went to Puerto Rico

Why?  You've found a wife, haven't you?

lordtiberius

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2014, 06:12:38 PM »
Yeah I have and I could very well loose them all and there's nothing I can do about it.  Slavophilia, there are Slavs in Croatia, Slovakia, Macedonia, no war . . . I am sick of war.  Soldier to soldier, that is one thing but seeing civilians die and they always suffer . . .

Offline Shadow

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2014, 02:48:58 AM »
Yeah I have and I could very well loose them all and there's nothing I can do about it.  Slavophilia, there are Slavs in Croatia, Slovakia, Macedonia, no war . . . I am sick of war.  Soldier to soldier, that is one thing but seeing civilians die and they always suffer . . .
Perhaps you should have thought of that 6 months ago.
No it is not a dog. Its really how I look.  ;)

Offline jone

« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2014, 06:07:08 PM »
The Last Soviet State mobilized it's armed forces today.  Apparently re-stating that Ukraine is about to attack.   :-\

One has to wonder if this is more just saber rattling or if Russia's armed forces in this country have either the target of the rest of Moldova or simply would enjoy a cruise to Odessa. 

Offline tfcrew

• North Texas... Married 21 years
  • Spouse's Country: Ukraine
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2014, 11:31:05 AM »
I Goggle mapped that area for awhile and yeah, the eastern border is weird.
It seems to me that the River Nistru would have been the logical/natural border line to Ukraine.
Instead there is all of that ridiculous platted boundary :rolleyes: 
~There is no one more blind than those who refuse to see and none more deaf as those who will not listen~
~Think about the intelligence of the average person and then realize that half of the people are even more stupid than that~

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2014, 01:32:10 AM »
Nice topic, Jone.

I've been there twice, along with Mrs. M a few years back. It is not a place that I'd feel safe for long--not because of an invasion by Ukraine, but from the current government.

As for those who laugh about an invasion, Russian troops have been there for a very long time.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 01:34:10 AM by mendeleyev »
The Mendeleyev Journal. http://mendeleyevjournal.com Member: Congress of Russian Journalists; ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.RU (Journalist-Russia); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.UA (Journalist-Ukraine); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.KZ (Journalist-Kazakhstan); ПОРТАЛ ЖУРНАЛИСТОВ (Portal of RU-UA Journalists); Просто Журналисты ("Just Journalists").

lordtiberius

« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2014, 03:48:04 AM »
Gangster paradise?

Offline steveboy

• Commercial Member Restricted
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2014, 02:42:54 PM »
Gangster paradise?

You have been listening and watching to much propaganda. Transnistria is mostly populated by an older generation, they want NO part of the European Union! They are Russian speaking and mostly Russian people. Most have family all over Russia. These people have a right to live as they please ? They also have a right to speak the language they want, and live a life style they have become accustomed to. Why should anything be forced upon them?
Its funny how each week hundreds on Moldovan's cross the border to do their shopping in one of the many Sheriff Supermarkets, because they cannot afford the prices in Moldova. That is amongst many other things they cannot afford in Moldova.

"Gangsters paradise" you are so so so so far off the mark it is unreal! I could promise you one thing 100% you are safer walking about Bender or Tiraspol at night than 95% of any US city:)

Offline calmissile

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2014, 05:54:51 PM »

"Gangsters paradise" you are so so so so far off the mark it is unreal! I could promise you one thing 100% you are safer walking about Bender or Tiraspol at night than 95% of any US city:)

What an asinine statement.  How many years did you spend in the US to form this opinion?  Sounds like you listen to too much propaganda!
Doug (Calmissile)

Offline Anotherkiwi

« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2014, 02:37:43 AM »
What an asinine statement.  How many years did you spend in the US to form this opinion?  Sounds like you listen to too much propaganda!

I dunno, Doug - I felt safer walking around the streets of Kazan and St Petersburg late at night than I did in central London or Los Angeles (or even Auckland, for that matter)!

Offline Gordon Styer

« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2014, 01:55:17 AM »
I'd like to go and visit Transnistria ... must be amazing to see! It's like the Soviet Union was. So if anyone wants to step back in history this is the place to go!!!!

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541017
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2385
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 10
Guests: 2248
Total: 2258

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 09:57:04 PM

Re: Plumber earnings by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 09:37:55 PM

Plumber earnings by ML
Yesterday at 07:49:26 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 07:23:34 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 06:28:48 PM

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by 2tallbill
Yesterday at 04:48:07 PM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Yesterday at 04:37:18 PM

If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by 2tallbill
Yesterday at 04:17:08 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 02:48:08 PM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Yesterday at 01:09:03 PM