It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: New guy in need of direction  (Read 39489 times)

Offline The Natural

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: 4 - 10
Re: New guy in need of direction
« Reply #175 on: April 22, 2011, 10:58:07 AM »
Roy I would imagine the bartender might've had you shot in the Soviet days. Actually I like coke for a mixer myself but, for bourbon or rum. Vodka around these parts is usually mixed with a citrus juice which I don't care for with alcohol. Since my first trip to Russia all my vodka is straight. People here tend to look at me a bit funny.  Somehow tequlia is acceptable straight, go figure :D

Oh, I can't stand mixing alcohol with citrus. Besides, mixing Stoli with Coke makes a statement that Russia and USA can get along just fine, hehe. Even though I mix the vodka, I can still notice the smoothness of Stolichnaya that other vodkas don't have. Prefer to stay away from Smirnoff because they probably use fluoridated water in it.

Sorry "The Natural", I didn't mean to imply that you were not a classy guy. I was just under the impression that karsk had some sort of a traditional place in Norwegian culture.
Vodka and coke does sound funny to Americans.
 :P

Yes, it's traditional but not so much anymore because people can afford the real stuff even though the price tag would astonish the American, not to mention the Russian man. Many a family man kept his home distillery into the 80's but then it just wasn't worth the trouble after that I suppose.

Vodka and Coke may sound strange to  Americans, but then again , I'm a funny guy  :D

Offline GoodOlBoy

• Trips: > 10
« Reply #176 on: April 22, 2011, 11:01:13 AM »
Upon reviewing my threads a little before re-posting, I remembered something. You people are the biggest bunch of arrogant losers I have ever had the misfortune of coming in contact with in my entire life,...

Dam@, GOB didn't even get a chance to post a few insults opinions in this thread. 8)
Make sure to come back real soon wussy Fabio so I can hurl a few your way!! :evil:

GOB
“For God and country, Geronimo, Geronimo, Geronimo......... Geronimo E.K.I.A.”

Online Faux Pas

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: No Selection
« Reply #177 on: April 22, 2011, 03:21:36 PM »
Oh, I can't stand mixing alcohol with citrus. Besides, mixing Stoli with Coke makes a statement that Russia and USA can get along just fine, hehe. Even though I mix the vodka, I can still notice the smoothness of Stolichnaya that other vodkas don't have. Prefer to stay away from Smirnoff because they probably use fluoridated water in it.

Yes, it's traditional but not so much anymore because people can afford the real stuff even though the price tag would astonish the American, not to mention the Russian man. Many a family man kept his home distillery into the 80's but then it just wasn't worth the trouble after that I suppose.

Vodka and Coke may sound strange to  Americans, but then again , I'm a funny guy  :D

I like it cold and straight. A couple of shots with our borscht has become the norm in our household. That is when we are out of the MIL's "recipie" (samagon). I like Stoli too although it's not my favorite. Thats probably Absolute although I have found  an American one made from soybeans called "3". It is supposedly distilled times where the usual premium vodka is distilled twice and the rot gut once. Most of the Russians I drink with in Russia seem to prefer Russian Standard or the local vodka. Russian Standard is quite good and after bringing some back a time or too I actually found it locally. It was IIRC about 4 bucks a 1.5 liter in Russia and about 30 in the U.S.

Offline Gator

Vodka
« Reply #178 on: April 22, 2011, 04:27:00 PM »
Personally, I am not fond of vodka as it has little taste.   Nevertheless, I have tried some of the smaller companies, and I found Ice and Russkaya to have a decent taste, better than Stoli or Standard.

Even these fine vodkas are well short of mescal.  I am still recovering from the Guadalajara Tequila Train. 

Offline erudite

• Kharkiv is a great city!
« Reply #179 on: April 22, 2011, 04:39:32 PM »
The last time I went to Kharkiv, I took several bottles of Tito's Hand Made Vodka and Dripping Springs Vodka. Both are made in "boutique" distilleries here in Texas.  All I can say is that my Ukraine male friends are very keen on them and even rated them better than the best Vodka they can get there.  To me that says a great deal because I know they would tell me the truth and not placate me.  So when I go back, I will take Tito's since it was the most favorite.
Truth and Honesty are good companions to keep

Offline The Natural

« Reply #180 on: April 22, 2011, 04:40:02 PM »
I like Stoli too although it's not my favorite. Thats probably Absolute although I have found  an American one made from soybeans called "3".

Please stay away from anything containing soy Faux. It's toxic and mess up your hormone system. Best to stick to Stoli or Absolut or perhaps Vikingfjord vodka  :)

Offline Muzh

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
« Reply #181 on: April 25, 2011, 07:25:54 AM »
The last time I went to Kharkiv, I took several bottles of Tito's Hand Made Vodka and Dripping Springs Vodka. Both are made in "boutique" distilleries here in Texas.  All I can say is that my Ukraine male friends are very keen on them and even rated them better than the best Vodka they can get there.  To me that says a great deal because I know they would tell me the truth and not placate me.  So when I go back, I will take Tito's since it was the most favorite.

They were just being polite so they could have some more free vodka.  :ROFL:
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead. Thomas Paine - The American Crisis 1776-1783

Offline Kineo

• Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #182 on: April 25, 2011, 01:45:33 PM »
Have any of you tried Cold River Vodka. It is made from potatoes. Personally my favorite. I maybe bais though. It is distilled locally.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 02:48:03 PM by Kineo »

Offline fabiodriven

« Reply #183 on: April 18, 2014, 07:41:53 PM »
Hello lovely Russian bride forum people! I reviewed this thread somewhat to get back up to speed, but I couldn't sit and read the whole thing. Kuna, you're still an asshole.

Here we are 3 years later and so many things have happened. I met my Russian friend in April of 2011 in Germany, where she and some of her family were visiting friends. We had a great time, but it was brief. I was there for only 3 or 4 days and she would only spend a few hours of her time with me here and there. She wouldn't get too close which is fine as we barely knew each other. Upon leaving Germany and returning home, I didn't get the feeling like I would be marrying this person. I did have a great trip though and would love to do it again. Over the last 3 years I've had one knockout American girlfriend (of Russian decent) who was around for about a year and a half. Nobody serious other than her though. My truly Russian friend though, we are still in touch. Not long after returning home she had gotten in touch with me to profess her love for me, which caught me a bit off guard as we hadn't even kissed when we were together. I was really left with very few options as we didn't get close enough while together physically to really know anything about love, so I had to kind of let her down. We stayed friends though, and here we are both single again. She wants to come to America for a visit in late June or early July. I think that is a great idea, but now the questions. I'm guessing these topics have been covered so if anyone can point me in the right direction I'd be grateful.

She's telling me that she's better off saying she's coming to visit another woman or a couple, as opposed to coming to see a single man. Supposedly they'll deny her visa if she's coming to see me? I have pictures of when we were together and years of archived Facebook correspondence. I reminded her of that but she insists it's better that I get my sister to say she's coming to see her or something. Would anyone on here happen to know the best way to go about this? Thanks in advance people.

Offline BC

« Reply #184 on: April 19, 2014, 05:28:44 AM »
fabio,

It all comes down to the visa requirements that are basically as follows:

1. She has enough documentation to overcome any doubt that her intentions are to immigrate, for example has a stable employment history (tax returns, letter from employer granting vacation time etc), property and close family ties.

2. That she has her own funds to support her trip, for example bank statements, pay slips, credit card statements, etc.

3. That the purpose of her visit is the same as the visa she is applying for  Tourist, Student, etc.

In my experience after applying for several US visas for my wife and daughter, 90% of the decision lies with how the visa application questions are answered and documents supplied at the interview.  The folks at the consulate are quite good at what they do.  They are required to look at every candidate as a possible immigrant and it's the applicants job to overcome that doubt.

Someone that shows up and says their dream is to visit NYC during the time their employer provides vacation time, has a decent itinerary, evidence of saved cash to support the trip up front and good ties to their homeland will rarely be disapproved even if they happen to be a smoking hot FSUW.

A smoking hot FSUW without well documented, stable employment that shows up and says they want to visit a friend of the opposite sex who will provide lodging and cover travel expenses is almost certain to be refused a visa.

Simple as that.

Offline ML

« Reply #185 on: April 19, 2014, 09:32:22 AM »
BC is pretty much right on.

I would re-emphasize his point.

If she mentions a male friend in USA . . . her chances of getting visa drop dramatically.  Yeah, yeah I know some have mentioned the man and still got the visa.  But think probabilities.

Also, not a bad idea to 'play down her looks.'
i.e. Submit a 'somewhat ugly passport photo' and show up for interview dressed 'dowdy.'

The better looking the gal, the more the interviewing officer knows she will attract a lot of men in USA and increase the chance of a visa overstay.

And now  a new aspect that BC didn't mention:

How are interviewing officers being instructed to view visa requests from Russian citizens?

And one extra feature:  Apparently western countries will not now process visa requests for persons holding Russian passports who reside in Crimea.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline BillyB

« Reply #186 on: April 19, 2014, 11:22:34 AM »
She's telling me that she's better off saying she's coming to visit another woman or a couple, as opposed to coming to see a single man.

I'm not so sure that is true. It doesn't mean she's lying, just that she may not know what she's talking about. A foreign woman can violate her visa visiting friends just as easy as she could with visiting a man.

What is your role in this Fabio? Help her find a women or couple she can claim she'll be staying with and/or helping her with money? If you're willing to help her with her stay here, she should pay for the cost of the visa. Although she professes love, keep it at the friendship level for now.
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline BC

« Reply #187 on: April 19, 2014, 11:43:03 AM »

Also, not a bad idea to 'play down her looks.'
i.e. Submit a 'somewhat ugly passport photo' and show up for interview dressed 'dowdy.'

The better looking the gal, the more the interviewing officer knows she will attract a lot of men in USA and increase the chance of a visa overstay.

I told my wife and daughter here in Italy the same 'dress normal'..  But that might backfire in RU where most of the women I know would be dressed to the hilt for the occasion regardless of financial status, much less accept an 'ugly' visa / passport photo. LOL

Offline fabiodriven

« Reply #188 on: April 21, 2014, 05:29:04 PM »
Alright, so basically her best bet is to say she's always wanted to go to Boston (near where I live) and show her itinerary? I would assume they would want hotel bookings and such, of which she will not have as she is going to stay with me while she is here. I don't know, I'll figure out how to make this work somehow.

As to the comment about staying friends, yes, that is my plan for now. You can't skip the initial steps and just fall head over heals. Well, not all the time I guess. Haha, you never know though. I actually had written her recently telling her the same thing, to just come here and enjoy herself.

Monetarily, I've not given her a dime aside from a meal or two while we were in Germany. I met her on a free site, we communicate through Facebook, and she got to Germany herself and put herself up. It's not been asked of me to finance her trip here nor will it I'm fairly certain. She does work and I cannot see her asking me to do that. I would obviously be paying for a lot while she is here, which I would be happy to do. Everything is on me as far as I'm concerned.

Basically, we're both looking for all of the information that we can find to make this happen. Knowledge is power. I've not seen my friend in some time and I'd like to see her again and show her the states. I think that would be a good time whether or not we found love.

Thanks a lot for the replies and any knowledge is well received and much appreciated.

Offline BillyB

« Reply #189 on: April 21, 2014, 07:17:19 PM »
Alright, so basically her best bet is to say she's always wanted to go to Boston (near where I live) and show her itinerary? I would assume they would want hotel bookings and such,

An interviewer for a tourist visa doesn't require an applicant to have plane tickets and hotel reservations in hand. The consulate actually recommends those applying for visas not to spend any money towards a trip until a visa is approved since there are no guarantees.

Your lady has been to Germany. Bringing that stamped visa and proof she was there is a big plus at the interview. The fact she came home without violating the visa is even a bigger plus. She can tell the interviewer she will pay for her accommodations and airfare when she comes to America. She won't be lying because you won't be charging her a dime. :D

There's no guarantee she will be granted a tourist visa but it won't break the bank if she's denied. Tell her to go for it and if she's successful, you will take care of her in America. If she's denied, you can make a decision to meet her in her country or somewhere in the middle.
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline Chicagoguy

« Reply #190 on: April 21, 2014, 07:25:14 PM »
I tried to have a few worthwhile women come here but there was a time when U.S. Visas were very, very difficult to get for women.
Now when my wife's daughter goes to get a 1 time visa to come here they give her a 3 year one without her even asking.
When my wife did arrive here she had some problems adjusting because everything was so strange for her. God bless her now 5 years down the road.

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541009
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 11
Guests: 1864
Total: 1875

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 02:48:08 PM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 01:09:03 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:51:13 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:33:48 PM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:24:44 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 11:16:08 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by ML
Today at 10:31:43 AM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 09:47:10 AM

What to do by 2tallbill
Today at 09:37:41 AM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by 2tallbill
Today at 09:18:17 AM