It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Are certain areas of the USA seen as more desirable?  (Read 20786 times)

Offline facetrock

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: 4 - 10
Re: Are certain areas of the USA seen as more desirable?
« Reply #50 on: March 29, 2013, 04:08:10 AM »
Well...My town has 15 thousand people... Better find myself a village girl.

Offline GoodOlBoy

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #51 on: March 29, 2013, 05:08:02 AM »
I know this question was directed at the Russian ladies here on RWD, but I feel it would be remiss on my part not to post my direct experiences with divorced RW (all ages) actually living here in Sunny Isles Beach.

Any Newbie reading this thread may want to pay special attention to what I am saying here. There are literally hundreds (yes hundreds) of RW living here with Marina and I.

They come from all over the GoodOl' USA. Oklahoma, New Mexico, Montana, Kansas, South Dakota, etc. etc. They come to the table with pretty much the same story. They tried marriage in the "village", but it just didn't work for them.

For the most part, I really believe that these women were sincere and wanted to start a new life and make things work. They just couldn't handle the isolation.

Let me make this clear, I have heard these same stories for many years from these Russian ladies.
I have also heard similar stories from several Russian ladies that I met in Las Vegas ( I was working security there for a while on the strip).

After reading this, I know people will post that these RW were nothing but GC girls and if they really had "Big Love" for their men they would have stayed.... Blah, Blah, Blah.

Or, I married one and we live in a log cabin in the wilderness and we are doing just fine and dandy.... Blah, Blah, Blah.

It is no skin off my nose if you pay any attention to what I am trying to say here or not.

I will finish this post with something said many years ago to me when I started this adventure: "Don't marry a stranger".

GOB
« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 05:11:27 AM by GoodOlBoy »
“For God and country, Geronimo, Geronimo, Geronimo......... Geronimo E.K.I.A.”

Offline Boethius

• Trips: No Selection
« Reply #52 on: March 29, 2013, 05:11:27 AM »
Couples are always strangers until they live together. :)

Put me in the category of "big love",  GOB. ;)   But, I do think "big love" is rare.
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Online Faux Pas

« Reply #53 on: March 29, 2013, 07:45:01 AM »
I know this question was directed at the Russian ladies here on RWD, but I feel it would be remiss on my part not to post my direct experiences with divorced RW (all ages) actually living here in Sunny Isles Beach.

Any Newbie reading this thread may want to pay special attention to what I am saying here. There are literally hundreds (yes hundreds) of RW living here with Marina and I.

They come from all over the GoodOl' USA. Oklahoma, New Mexico, Montana, Kansas, South Dakota, etc. etc. They come to the table with pretty much the same story. They tried marriage in the "village", but it just didn't work for them.

For the most part, I really believe that these women were sincere and wanted to start a new life and make things work. They just couldn't handle the isolation.

Let me make this clear, I have heard these same stories for many years from these Russian ladies.
I have also heard similar stories from several Russian ladies that I met in Las Vegas ( I was working security there for a while on the strip).

After reading this, I know people will post that these RW were nothing but GC girls and if they really had "Big Love" for their men they would have stayed.... Blah, Blah, Blah.

Or, I married one and we live in a log cabin in the wilderness and we are doing just fine and dandy.... Blah, Blah, Blah.

It is no skin off my nose if you pay any attention to what I am trying to say here or not.

I will finish this post with something said many years ago to me when I started this adventure: "Don't marry a stranger".

GOB

GOB
Should your fortunes change, do you have any idea that your wife wouldn't follow you back to the hills in Virginia?

Offline matthew20

• Spouse's Country: Belarus
  • Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #54 on: April 01, 2013, 05:53:58 PM »
I still don't understand why this topic is so important. Are RW coming over to have a happy life with their partner or live in a big expensive city? If you have a car or train nearby, you can always travel to the city and enjoy the activities. I enjoy the city (Chicago) and my smaller town (70,000) people the same. Each has different opportunities. Don't forget Chicago has the highest murder rate in the country. I'd feel safer having my woman living in a safer community when I'm off to work rather then wandering around through dangerous areas. Just my opinion. If your partner loves you unconditionally, this won't be a concern.

Offline Boethius

« Reply #55 on: April 01, 2013, 06:06:34 PM »
But there are other issues to consider, Matthew.  You will be at work all day, your lady will be home, and isolated, without fluent language skills, without friends, without a driver's licence, etc.  So, while it is all well and nice to say living in the suburbs shouldn't matter, until she is acclimatized, it does.

I chose an apartment in an area where everything was within walking distance.  The grocery store was two blocks away.  One of the best bakeries in my city was about 10 blocks away (for a Ukrainian, no big deal to walk there and back, it's normal).  Coffee shops, clothing stores, a barber, etc. were all within walking distance of our apartment.  That made life a lot easier, because my husband had independence from Day 1. 
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline BillyB

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
« Reply #56 on: April 01, 2013, 06:28:55 PM »
Are RW coming over to have a happy life with their partner or live in a big expensive city?

You alone can't give your partner a 100% happy life. Your partner alone can't give you a happy life either. There are other factors involved in having a happy life. Where you live can be a factor. More for some than others.
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline GoodOlBoy

« Reply #57 on: April 01, 2013, 07:45:47 PM »
GOB
Should your fortunes change, do you have any idea that your wife wouldn't follow you back to the hills in Virginia?
Hey FP.
Sorry, I missed your post!
I won't try to answer this one without asking Marina first.
I'll ask her tomorrow morning.

GOB
“For God and country, Geronimo, Geronimo, Geronimo......... Geronimo E.K.I.A.”

Offline Misha

« Reply #58 on: April 01, 2013, 07:59:30 PM »
I enjoy the city (Chicago) and my smaller town (70,000) people the same. Each has different opportunities.

I live in a small city (less than 100,000 people). My wife does not really complain about our city. She sees the advantages: much easier for her to drive here, everything is relatively close, not traffic jams, rush hours, etc... Yes, we like shopping in bigger cities, but we travel often enough that we can buy what we want on trips to bigger cities.

Offline lonedrake

« Reply #59 on: April 01, 2013, 09:11:33 PM »

This is definitely an obstacle I worry about. All I can do is be honest about where I live. I know some girls have stopped talking to me simply because of where I live(at least thats what they say) I do look for women that say things in their profile like "prefer to live in cottage in the country" or "Cabin in the mountains" Girls that prefer "loft in the city" are not my type.(or I am not their type)

Offline YoungBuck

« Reply #60 on: April 01, 2013, 09:34:25 PM »
I have lived in small suburbs on the east coast, dusty frontier towns, and big metropolis of los Angeles. The pictures I have of the indoor, outdoor, cultural,  sightseeing activities of LA I have been part of really went over well.  One thing she lamented was the lack of snow,  but I sent her a map of the mountains , pictures  of those with snow capped tops and myself hiking through them and that settled her. I understand the allure of snow fall,  but frankly,  it's fun for a few days then it becomes a hazard. los Angeles is the only US city where you can ski at the mountains and sun bathe at the beach all in the same day.

I don't doubt it has an impact while married since I feel that it has an impact during the search phase.

Offline calmissile

« Reply #61 on: April 01, 2013, 10:07:28 PM »
I have to agree that the L.A. area is desireable for a lot of people.  I don't particularly like the big city (Lived in Redondo Beach), but out in the Inland Empire we are close enough to Big Bear in the mountains (skiing), Palm Springs in the desert, and L.A. proper (and the beaches) to be within an hour of all of it.  Furthermore, the price of housing is a lot less and you can get a lot more house for the money.
The smog has also decreased in recent years.

I lived in Washington, Oregon, Montana, North Dakota, South Dakota, and Missouri.  Once landing in California this was home.
Doug (Calmissile)

Offline Brillynt

« Reply #62 on: April 01, 2013, 10:45:22 PM »
Once landing in California this was home.

I hope California does not do a Cyprus to get out of debt.  :rolleyes:  Personally, I do not see how a rationale financially smart person lives in California with the level of taxation and cost of living. Just my opinion.

Offline LAman

« Reply #63 on: April 01, 2013, 11:12:27 PM »
I hope California does not do a Cyprus to get out of debt.  :rolleyes:  Personally, I do not see how a rationale financially smart person lives in California with the level of taxation and cost of living. Just my opinion.

Apparently there are ~30 million  irrational financially smart people living in California. Could it just maybe be the weather??? I dunno....life is just terrible here I guess....
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift

Offline calmissile

« Reply #64 on: April 02, 2013, 12:32:53 AM »

It's a good point.  Perhaps someone with no home might select a different location based upon current taxation and a very liberal electorate.

The weather and living conditions are a tradeoff vs. cost.  As long as our 'Great Society' and 'welfare state' continues, things may get worse rather than better.  Sooner or later the welfare state will collapse.  There simply will not be enough givers (workers) to pay for the takers (welfare and entitlement programs).  For those of us that have already made our investment in our homes and businesses, all we can hope is that we can hunker down until the collapse occurs.  The rest of the nation is not in much better shape, so why move now and not be able to replace what you left behind?

The weather is beautiful and the lifestyle is wonderful.  If you can afford it, it's a great place to live.
Doug (Calmissile)

Offline ML

« Reply #65 on: April 02, 2013, 09:51:20 AM »
I lived in . . .  North Dakota . . .

That qualified for extra 'hardship duty' pay, didn't it?
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline GQBlues

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #66 on: April 02, 2013, 10:00:02 AM »

The upper scale salaries are relatively adjusted, Brillynt. Comparatively, they won't get the same rate of pay elsewhere than they do working in California for the same position.

I don't mind the taxes myself as long as it meets the intended.
Quote from: msmob
1. Because of 'man', global warming is causing desert and arid areas to suffer long, dry spell.
2. The 2018 Camp Fire and Woolsey California wildfires are forests burning because of global warming.
3. N95 mask will choke you dead after 30 min. of use.

Offline Rational_Julia

« Reply #67 on: April 14, 2013, 09:52:01 AM »
My husband and I are stuck in Florida for at least 6 more years until his son from previous marriage is able to leave the state. But if it were my choice I would love to live near mountains, in a middle-sized city 500K in population. My husband wants to move to Arkansas and I still don't know to which terms we will come. But I adore mountains and want to see them in the window very often.

Offline ML

« Reply #68 on: April 14, 2013, 10:01:47 AM »
'Usually' it's not too possible to pick where you want to live in USA.

First and foremost comes the job opportunity and possibility of professional growth.

We have long-term unemployed people here; and I  find it hard
to feel sorry for them when they refuse to move to where there are
jobs.

Myself and others, have moved several times to several states to advance our careers.

Others remain in their home state or move to their preferred state, and then want government handouts when they can't make a go of it.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Online Hammer2722

• Spouse's Country: Belarus
« Reply #69 on: April 14, 2013, 10:21:52 AM »
My husband and I are stuck in Florida for at least 6 more years until his son from previous marriage is able to leave the state. But if it were my choice I would love to live near mountains, in a middle-sized city 500K in population. My husband wants to move to Arkansas and I still don't know to which terms we will come. But I adore mountains and want to see them in the window very often.

Check out the Pacific Northwest- Mountains everywhere!!!
every ship can be a minesweeper at least once...

Offline Slingerland

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #70 on: April 14, 2013, 01:31:03 PM »
But if it were my choice I would love to live near mountains, in a middle-sized city 500K in population. My husband wants to move to Arkansas and I still don't know to which terms we will come. But I adore mountains and want to see them in the window very often.
I live in Little Rock, AR and if I were young and relocating, I would go to the northwest corner of the state (Oklahoma/Missouri/Arkansas borders).  The economy is much more vibrant, more growth and job opportunities, and only an hour's drive to places like Eureka Springs or across Missouri.  There is also a more accepted immigrant culture and a larger FSU community.
And the Ozark Mountains are beautiful...

Offline KenInUtah

« Reply #71 on: January 29, 2015, 07:11:46 PM »
Even though this is an old post, I wanted to reply.  I've lived all over the US (Chicago, Detroit, St. Louis, San Fran, Tucson, El Paso, Dallas, Cinci, Indy, Boston and Salt Lake).  Some cities are better than others in every respect.

I finally settled on SLC for low crime, great activities, diverse ethnic culture (big Russian community), pro-military, conservative values, strong sense of family, exceptionally clean city, the BEST public transportation in US, low cost of living, 2nd lowest unemployment in US.

The first question is always about the Mormons, even from my FSUW.  The Mormons are not pushy at all, if you didn't know this was ground zero, you probably wouldn't know they existed. 

Everywhere is different as I've experienced, Chicago and Detroit high crime, NY and Boston, way too liberal, The Midwest is nice but boring, Texas was great, I liked it there but missed the seasons.  Choices are different for everyone, I just found my paradise because it has all the benefits of a mega-city but not the problems.

Offline Muzh

« Reply #72 on: January 29, 2015, 07:42:04 PM »
Yeah, I hear that you can have more than one Russian or Ukrainian babe in SLC.

Heh, heh, heh
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead. Thomas Paine - The American Crisis 1776-1783

Offline KenInUtah

« Reply #73 on: January 29, 2015, 07:55:06 PM »
Smart Ass!  That was funny!

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8884
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541272
Total Topics: 20859