It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: The extent of Western ignorance about Russia  (Read 5401 times)

Offline Larry1

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: 4 - 10
The extent of Western ignorance about Russia
« on: April 27, 2016, 05:05:22 PM »
I was watching Jeopardy tonight. The category was which country owned certain islands. Alex Trebek said, "October Revolution Island". I had no idea precisely where October Revolution Island was located but pretty obviously it was in Russia. There was complete silence from the three Jeopardy contestants  and after awhile one of them buzzed in and answered China.

I wouldn't have been surprised if high school students didn't know the answer, or even university students (except students who majored in Russian language or Russian history). But these were Jeopardy contestants, who go through a challenging test of general knowledge (I know it's challenging because I took it). Perhaps Western ignorance about Russia is even deeper than I previously thought.

I realize that the vast majority of Westerners are fairly ignorant about Russia and the other republics that made up the soviet union. But this shocked me coming from Jeopardy contestants. I should point out that this wasn't the dumbed down Celebrity Jeopardy.

Offline The Natural

• Spouse's Country: Russia
Re: The extent of Western ignorance about Russia
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2016, 06:09:05 PM »
The most blatant example of western ignorance about Russia that I can think of is the idea that they would lay Down and take it from the Empire and not defend and protect their own couintry.

Offline GuppyCaptain

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2016, 06:30:15 PM »
Uh boy.....here we go  :rolleyes:

Offline ML

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2016, 06:39:26 PM »
The most blatant example of western ignorance about Russia that I can think of is the idea that they would lay Down and take it from the Empire and not defend and protect their own country.

Yes, the Empire currently is engaged in military operations against Russia inside the borders of Russia.  This is common knowledge.

And it is well known that our current Commander in Chief is anxious to engage in further military actions against Russia inside Russia.

I know it personally because I get postcards from several of the combatants who say they are inside Russia as tourists.  Rather than wear their military uniforms, they are wearing Hawaiian shirts and wearing Nike sneakers.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline Shadow

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2016, 02:34:45 AM »
The most blatant example of western ignorance about Russia that I can think of is the idea that they would lay Down and take it from the Empire and not defend and protect their own couintry.
The Norsk Empire at it again? I thought that they had enough after raiding Europe 1200 years ago.
No it is not a dog. Its really how I look.  ;)

Online Faux Pas

• Trips: No Selection
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2016, 05:21:12 AM »

The Norsk Empire at it again? I thought that they had enough after raiding Europe 1200 years ago.
Uh boy.....here we go  :rolleyes:

Yes, the Empire currently is engaged in military operations against Russia inside the borders of Russia.  This is common knowledge.

And it is well known that our current Commander in Chief is anxious to engage in further military actions against Russia inside Russia.

I know it personally because I get postcards from several of the combatants who say they are inside Russia as tourists.  Rather than wear their military uniforms, they are wearing Hawaiian shirts and wearing Nike sneakers.

One post in a new thread and already off topic. This has to be the record or tied the record. Good going guys!

Online Faux Pas

• Trips: No Selection
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2016, 05:26:46 AM »
I was watching Jeopardy tonight. The category was which country owned certain islands. Alex Trebek said, "October Revolution Island". I had no idea precisely where October Revolution Island was located but pretty obviously it was in Russia. There was complete silence from the three Jeopardy contestants  and after awhile one of them buzzed in and answered China.

I wouldn't have been surprised if high school students didn't know the answer, or even university students (except students who majored in Russian language or Russian history). But these were Jeopardy contestants, who go through a challenging test of general knowledge (I know it's challenging because I took it). Perhaps Western ignorance about Russia is even deeper than I previously thought.

I realize that the vast majority of Westerners are fairly ignorant about Russia and the other republics that made up the soviet union. But this shocked me coming from Jeopardy contestants. I should point out that this wasn't the dumbed down Celebrity Jeopardy.

I would have answered that question correctly too I suspect. Russia would have been my first guess for obvious reasons.

Larry, I am no longer amazed at the profound ignorance of many supposed educated intellectual Americans ignorance of Russia and the Soviet Union particularly. It was amusing the first couple of years after the wife and I married, then a bit of a bother and now, often downright annoying. That's the educated ones. Some of the less than educated folks can display some pretty grotesque ignorance

Offline Larry1

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2016, 02:39:16 PM »
I would have answered that question correctly too I suspect. Russia would have been my first guess for obvious reasons.

Larry, I am no longer amazed at the profound ignorance of many supposed educated intellectual Americans ignorance of Russia and the Soviet Union particularly. It was amusing the first couple of years after the wife and I married, then a bit of a bother and now, often downright annoying. That's the educated ones. Some of the less than educated folks can display some pretty grotesque ignorance

About the latter group, the less educated ones, one of my fsuw girlfriends had been here on a J1 visa. she was a waitress. A customer heard her accent and asked her where she was from. When she answered Russia he said that's a little country.

Offline JayH

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2016, 03:20:50 PM »
One post in a new thread and already off topic. This has to be the record or tied the record. Good going guys!
Referencing the OP-
Having occasionally watched a few quiz shows--the now generation is generally not knowledgeable about events pre-dating their birth-or formative years.
Anything from political to sporting questions can be a mystery to them.It is particularly obvious when multiple choice type answers are provided( eg3-4 options ) that should lead one close to a correct answer .
All in all--the ignorance is not confined to Russian or Soviet history.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2016, 03:37:39 PM by AnonMod »
SLAVA UKRAYINI  ! HEROYAM SLAVA!!!!
Слава Украине! Слава героям слава!Слава Україні! Слава героям!
 translated as: Glory to Ukraine! Glory to the heroes!!!  is a Ukrainian greeting slogan being used now all over Ukraine to signify support for a free independent Ukraine

Offline ML

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2016, 03:22:21 PM »
About the latter group, the less educated ones, one of my fsuw girlfriends had been here on a J1 visa. she was a waitress. A customer heard her accent and asked her where she was from. When she answered Russia he said that's a little country.

Big in physical size; but comes to mind what James Michener said about Mexico.  A second rate country, filled with 3rd rate people.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline Anotherkiwi

• Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2016, 06:59:44 PM »
Referencing the OP-
Having occasionally watched a few quiz shows--the now generation is generally not knowledgeable about events pre-dating their birth-or formative years.
Anything from political to sporting questions can be a mystery to them.It is particularly obvious when multiple choice type answers are provided( eg3-4 options ) that should lead one close to a correct answer.
All in all--the ignorance is not confined to Russian or Soviet history.

Agreed.  Just look at some of the guesses at what should be fairly straightforward answers on "Who Wants to be a Millionaire."   :cluebat:

Offline Larry1

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2016, 07:09:49 PM »
Agreed.  Just look at some of the guesses at what should be fairly straightforward answers on "Who Wants to be a Millionaire."   :cluebat:

8 fine examples of this from another gameshow:

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541017
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2383
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 11
Guests: 2372
Total: 2383

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 09:57:04 PM

Re: Plumber earnings by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 09:37:55 PM

Plumber earnings by ML
Yesterday at 07:49:26 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 07:23:34 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 06:28:48 PM

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by 2tallbill
Yesterday at 04:48:07 PM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Yesterday at 04:37:18 PM

If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by 2tallbill
Yesterday at 04:17:08 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 02:48:08 PM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Yesterday at 01:09:03 PM