It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Orthodox man  (Read 6729 times)

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
  • Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: Resident
Re: Orthodox man
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2015, 10:38:33 AM »
The Assumption is a Biblical concept. Perhaps you should reacquaint yourself with Genesis 5, Hebrews 11, and 2 Kings 2. As to Mary, while Scripture does not record an assumption event, Revelations 11-12 does record her in Heaven. Also, you had better believe in the Assumption, as someday every believer will be "taken up." 1 Cor. 15 and 1 Thes. 4.

As to praying to saints, we also pray only to God. However, just as you may have asked someone else to pray for your, Orthodox Christians do not “pray to” Mary. We do ask her, and other saints to pray with us on our behalf. If you do not believe in the prayers of Saints perhaps reading Rev. 5, Rev 8, might be of interest.

Orthodoxy does not have "preachers" as such, but no I did not contradict anyone. There is a great deal of misunderstanding, and often we use theological terms very differently from fundamentalists and evangelicals.

While Scripture contains only scant information on Joseph, history does record that he was much older and was a widower with children; 2 daughters (Matt 13), and 4 sons (Matt. 12, Luke 8, and Mark 3). Historic accounts indicate that the siblings of Jesus were older.

As I do not think this thread needs to turn into an argument on theology, and rarely does one convince the other in such discussions, you can always PM me instead.

The Mendeleyev Journal. http://mendeleyevjournal.com Member: Congress of Russian Journalists; ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.RU (Journalist-Russia); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.UA (Journalist-Ukraine); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.KZ (Journalist-Kazakhstan); ПОРТАЛ ЖУРНАЛИСТОВ (Portal of RU-UA Journalists); Просто Журналисты ("Just Journalists").

Offline tfcrew

• North Texas... Married 21 years
  • Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2015, 12:23:57 PM »
.. believe in the Assumption resurrection as someday every believer will be "taken up." 1 Cor. 15 and 1 Thes. 4.

rarely does one convince the other in such discussions
You mean :deadhorse: ............................yeah

From a Catholic link..
There is no Scriptural record of Joseph being a widower however both Eastern Orthodox tradition as well as the Eastern Catholic tradition tell us that he was.

http://www.askacatholic.com/_WebPostings/Answers/2008_04APR/2008AprWasStJosephAWidowerBefore.cfm

What is tradition based on?

From scripture...
Colossians 2:8 Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit, after the tradition of men, after the rudiments of the world, and not after Christ.

~There is no one more blind than those who refuse to see and none more deaf as those who will not listen~
~Think about the intelligence of the average person and then realize that half of the people are even more stupid than that~

Offline tfcrew

• North Texas... Married 21 years
  • Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2015, 02:53:07 PM »
  Joseph, the earthly father had other children. There is no record of Mary giving birth to others however.
Matthew Ch 1
24 Then Joseph being raised from sleep did as the angel of the Lord had bidden him, and took unto him his wife:
25 And knew her not till she had brought forth her firstborn son: and he called his name Jesus.

It says Mary's 'firstborn' so there must have been a second born. There's your record if you will see it.
Also that Joseph 'knew her not' until after Jesus was born.
Seems simple to me.

Matthew 2
13 And when they were departed, the angel of the Lord appeared to Joseph in a dream, saying, Arise, and take the young child and his mother, and flee into Egypt.....

Note what it doesn't say...it doesn't say take all your family to Egypt.

Finally, Mary was probably barely 16 when Jesus was born. Think a youngster like that could inherit a family?...and all go emigrate unnoticed into Egypt?
~There is no one more blind than those who refuse to see and none more deaf as those who will not listen~
~Think about the intelligence of the average person and then realize that half of the people are even more stupid than that~

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
  • Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2015, 12:54:37 AM »
I answered you on Tradition via PM. Based on passages such as 2 Thes chapters 2 and 5, I'll go with tradition every time.  :D
The Mendeleyev Journal. http://mendeleyevjournal.com Member: Congress of Russian Journalists; ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.RU (Journalist-Russia); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.UA (Journalist-Ukraine); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.KZ (Journalist-Kazakhstan); ПОРТАЛ ЖУРНАЛИСТОВ (Portal of RU-UA Journalists); Просто Журналисты ("Just Journalists").

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8884
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541284
Total Topics: 20859
Most Online Today: 2190
Most Online Ever: 12701