It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Registration of Passport  (Read 5011 times)

Offline schlegs

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: 4 - 10
Registration of Passport
« on: January 27, 2005, 08:11:58 AM »
Can anyone tell me if there are new forms or rules for registration of your passport?  Last time we were "home", we went to the Militsia office and registered my passport, this is after paying at the bank across town.  I know we have 3 business days, but what are the new regulations and/or forms we might need.  Our problem is the only register two days a week for 3 hours each day!  So, we want to get it right the first time!

My father-in-law is to call and get a phone number for us, but they open at 10:00 AM (2 :00 AM here), so calling to get an answer from the horses mouth, will be difficult.

Thanks!

Jim

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: > 10
Registration of Passport
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2005, 06:04:28 PM »
Ukraine or Russia?

Ukraine abandoned the OVIR registration routine about 2 years back (unless one is staying for more than 6 months).

Not sure about Russia, however.

Maybe someone else cand jump in and clarify.

- Dan

Offline Turboguy

Registration of Passport
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2005, 06:56:15 PM »

When I was there two weeks ago it was required.   I however did not get mine registered until the last day of my stay so I was well beyond the three day limit and they did not say anything about it.

Offline schlegs

Registration of Passport
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2005, 02:45:29 AM »
Going to Russia.  Sorry about that.

Turboguy, where did you have it registered?  Hotel or OVIR?

Offline Bruce

Registration of Passport
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2005, 09:08:25 AM »
My advice to an individual who travels to Russia is to fill out the two little pieces of paper (passport control takes one and you get the other handed back to you inside your passport next to your stamped Russian visa) and when you get to your destination, staple it to the page above your visa (that way you will not lose it).  Passport control will take it on your way out.  Now, your visa must be registered within three days of your destination - be that a hotel or Ovir office.  I have always gotten mine done at a hotel.  Make sure it is registered for the length of your stay - otherwise they may be questioning where you were on such a such / days when you leave.  I had a hassle once when leaving Sochi.  Moscow and Novosibirsk never seemed to be a problem, but I always had my ducks in a row. 
"A word is dead when it is said, some say.  I say it just begins to live that day."  Emily Dickinson

Offline Stirlitz

• Commercial Member
  • Helping People Understand Each Other
  • Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: Resident
Registration of Passport
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2005, 10:09:07 PM »
If you stay at a hotel, you do not have to worry about it, you will get registered automatically, even if you do not want it for some reason.
Igor Kalinin
Ukraine Guide Interpreter

Offline Jooky

Registration of Passport
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2005, 11:55:11 PM »
Definitely best to get your migration card registered at a hotel. Do not lose this card!

I've had problems with this damn card on nearly every trip.

First trip this year I never received the card in the first place (I must have been asleep on the plane). I stayed in Russia for three weeks without registering my visa at all. This got me kicked out of a hotel in Sochi, cost me 120 bucks worth of bribes to militsia in Sochi, Novosibirsk, and Omsk airports (40 bucks each stop, though I had a bit of fun with it), and I paid a bit extra to stay at a hotel in Novosibirsk (another small bribe). Surprisingly enough, passport control did not say a word about my missing migration card and registration as I left Moscow.

Second trip I stayed at a rented apartment and friend's house so I had a local agency (GoToRussia) register my visa. That cost 40 bucks and took a hour. Because the agency was on holiday for a few days I didn't register my visa until my last day in Moscow. I didn't have any hassle with the militsia or passport control this time, but I didn't leave Moscow.

Third trip I stayed at a friend's house in Siberia. We wasted much time going to two OVIR offices at opposite ends of the city. First off the offices were only open for a few hours on certain days (like you mention in your post) so we found the offices closed on our first try. Finally when they were open, the OVIR refused to stamp my card for some inane reason. They wanted the company who issued my visa to fax them some information. OVIR reminds me of the DMV back home. After that waste of a day I went to a local hotel and had them register my card for my entire trip at the cost of 300 rubles (ten bucks). No hassles at the airport or passport control.

My conclusion: best get registered at a hotel. If you won't be staying at a hotel for your entire stay, have them register you for your entire visit to that city. If you don't stay at a hotel at all, go to a hotel and get registered anyways. If they won't register you, at the worst pay for one night at the hotel (find a cheap one) and they will. Some small hotels that are for Russians only won't have the stamp. Larger hotels will.

Enjoy your trip!

Offline schlegs

Registration of Passport
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2005, 03:37:51 AM »
This is my 4th trip to Russia, so I am quite familiar with the migration card and the hotels registering my visa.  I would use a hotel IF we were going to be staying in one.  We have no need as my wife has kept her flat and we will be staying there (our winter home away from Florida  ;) ).  

We are only trying to find if there are new forms and regulations since my last visit in Nov 2003.  I had heard rumors that there were changes.  I'm not overly concerned, as on my first visit, we didn't register in her hometown and passport control was oblivious to that fact.

Push comes to shove, we will visit one of the two hotels in Penza and "spend the night" in one of them!

25 days and counting!!!!

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541017
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2385
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 10
Guests: 2242
Total: 2252

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 09:57:04 PM

Re: Plumber earnings by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 09:37:55 PM

Plumber earnings by ML
Yesterday at 07:49:26 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 07:23:34 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 06:28:48 PM

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by 2tallbill
Yesterday at 04:48:07 PM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Yesterday at 04:37:18 PM

If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by 2tallbill
Yesterday at 04:17:08 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 02:48:08 PM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Yesterday at 01:09:03 PM