It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Transporting a Pet from the FSU to the USA  (Read 5285 times)

Offline Bruce

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
Transporting a Pet from the FSU to the USA
« on: January 30, 2005, 04:53:44 AM »
For those of you who are in the process of bringing a girl to the USA who would like to bring her pet(s) to the USA the following is the general information you need.  Each State has its own particular rules for animals transported from abroad.  State requirements do change.  That is why it is best to have an Accredited Veterinarian (preferably in your State) call and find out current requirements.  Not all licensed veterinarians are accredited so make sure your local veterinarian is.  Canine and feline transport from the FSU to the USA has generally been fairly easy ie. current proof of vaccination (most States just ask for rabies) plus a timely verification (generally within a month prior to transport) from your hopefully wife to be or wife's veterinarian abroad that the animal(s) is free of infectious disease.  It is of course best to have your certificate translated in the event customs does want to read it.  Also, you would have to speak with the airline(s) to find out current policies for animal transport on each particular carrier.   
"A word is dead when it is said, some say.  I say it just begins to live that day."  Emily Dickinson

Offline BC

• Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2005, 06:19:08 AM »
When we left via SVO Intl. the airline promptly sent us to the vet's office upstairs in the terminal (yes there is a vet!) Even though we had her local vet prepare a health certificate and vaccination record, it was according to him "all wrong".  Don't remember what it cost.. maybe 40 bucks, but do leave an extra half hour minimum for this before your departure flight.

See the attachment for the certificate they prepared at SVO.

Offline Bruce

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2005, 09:55:21 AM »
BC - It was good SVO had its own standards for animal transport.  Thats why it is always important to speak with the airline carrier in advance.  One has to be able to get an animal out of the FSU before you can get it into the USA.
"A word is dead when it is said, some say.  I say it just begins to live that day."  Emily Dickinson

Offline BC

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2005, 10:03:51 AM »
Bruce,

Yes, most western airlines will only allow two pets in the cabin of different races.. i.e. one small cat and one small dog. Some don't allow pets at all. You have to make sure to let them know in advance when you book your ticket otherwise you will be in for a surprise.  The operator however will probably not know much about SVO exit procedures.

Offline Bruce

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2005, 10:16:22 AM »

BC - Excellent points about SVO exit procedures.

Offline Cold Warrior

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2005, 01:41:12 PM »
Bruce,

Is it possible to bring a small parrot in the cabin. I am wary of the temp and pressure down in the hold. Also my little parrot would make a hell of a fuss if she were left alone.:)

Offline Son of Clyde

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: No Selection
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2005, 02:47:11 PM »
Bruce, I posted this very same subject on another board. I'm going to be in a situation with having to transport a small dog from Ukraine to Maryland. Any idea of the cost? My parents brought two kittens from Hawaii but my situation is a little different. They paid a fairly small amount to bring the kittens here. 

Offline BC

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2005, 03:01:09 PM »
Son of Clyde,

We paid around 15 Euro for a cat in the small size cage from Moscow to Italy. If it's a bigger cage I think it has to go in the pressurized hold (some airlines don't even allow this due to lawsuits where something nasty happend to the pet) and might cost more depending on whether you already have reached your baggage weight allowance.  Most airlines will only carry pets as cargo during certain time of the year due to cold/hot conditions on the airfields.

Best IMHO is to ask the airline directly.  You will need to know what size approved cage is needed and approx weight.

There are some specialized pet shipping services, but my guess is that it will cost a little bundle.

Offline Bruce

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2005, 04:05:34 PM »
Birds are more problematic than dogs or cats due to temperatures as you mentioned - but the key is the airline company.  Ideally, you want the dog or cat with you, but that does not seem to be an option anymore.  Like BC already said - you have to work with the airlines.   Animal transport companies make a bundle so ideally you want to at least have the pet on your aircraft.   The last time I transported a pet I had a customized crate made, got the appropriate paperwork and ok, anesthetized the animal and picked up the groggy cat when I arrived at my destination.

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541025
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 1821
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 7
Guests: 1790
Total: 1797

+-Recent Posts

Re: Four Year Wonders Got Married: Ochka and ML by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 08:17:01 PM

What to do by 2tallbill
Yesterday at 07:34:12 PM

Re: What to do by Daveman
Yesterday at 06:11:07 PM

Re: What to do by Daveman
Yesterday at 05:57:45 PM

Re: Russian music video of the week by civi68
Yesterday at 02:53:36 PM

Re: Four Year Wonders Got Married: Ochka and ML by Bee Farmer
Yesterday at 10:12:54 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 06:44:55 AM

Re: Arctic Blast hit hard in most areas of USA by 2tallbill
Yesterday at 06:36:29 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
March 28, 2024, 09:57:04 PM

Re: Plumber earnings by Trenchcoat
March 28, 2024, 09:37:55 PM