It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Going Postal II  (Read 7431 times)

Offline philb

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: > 10
Going Postal II
« on: April 04, 2005, 04:18:42 PM »
A couple of years ago I had the experience of the US postal Service losing my Passport and visa en route to my house from the Ukrainian Embassy.  It disappeared for 2 weeks only to mysteriously reappear out of no where.  My dealings with the USPS at that time were quite Orwellian in nature.

Well, my multiple entry visa recently expired and I sent my application and passport in via the required USPS express mail route.  The parcel made it to a post office in San Francisco in less than 24 hours, but no further.  Due to my previous experience, I called the 1-800 express mail number and was given the number of the post office in SF.  I called them only to be told that this item was not scheduled to be delivered until the 29th. When I pointed out that the 29th was yesterday I was initially argued with and finally got the response of "Oh, I guess I lost a day".  This all-star clerk then told me that even though the system did not reflect it, the parcel had "probably" been delivered.  When I asked if this could be verified I was told "no".  End of conversation.

The following day I again called the Express Mail number and was told that a parcel was not considered lost until it had been missing 7 days and besides "it couldn't be tracked because it's location scan showed it as being located in a post office".  When I told them that the San Francisco post office did not know for sure where it was,  the response was "well, the computer says that is where it is".

Well today I called the Ukrainian Consulate in SF.  They were actually quite helpful and verified the receipt of my application.  The gentleman who assisted me laughed good naturedly and told me that this sort of thing happens quite frequently with the USPS.  Now, I can only hope the return trip goes better.

By the way, the USPS computer still shows the parcel as being at the SF post office.

Offline ConnerVT

Going Postal II
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2005, 12:20:31 AM »
You are crazy to trust your passport with the USPS.  And after poking your eye out once, you put the pencil in your other eye?  ;)

I have only used FedEx for sending my papers to the Russian Embassy in NY.  Much better package tracking, and certainly a much better track record.

Offline philb

Going Postal II
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2005, 01:46:45 AM »
Actually I am not a masochist.  The Ukrainian Consulate specifies USPS Express Mail.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2005, 01:47:00 AM by philb »

Offline Bruno

Going Postal II
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2005, 02:39:00 AM »
Quote from: philb
Actually I am not a masochist.  The Ukrainian Consulate specifies USPS Express Mail.
Maybe you need update your data :

"IMPORTANT INFORMATION

Be advised that the Consular Office of the Embassy of Ukraine does NOT offer 1 (one) business day visa processing. We offer 9 (nine) business day visa processing and rush processing for 3 (three) days.
The Consular Office of the Embassy of Ukraine is now accepting mail delivered by FedEx and Express Mail (United States Postal Service) couriers only .
For a return service, please provide the Consular office with Express Mail (United States Postal Service) envelopes only.
Due to too many falsified account numbers or Federal Express air bill no credit card account numbers or federal account numbers will be accepted, only prepaid pre addressed air bills.
http://www.ukraineinfo.us/consular/visas.html

Both FedEx and USPS are possible for send and only USPS for receive...

Offline Son of Clyde

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: No Selection
Going Postal II
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2005, 08:33:37 AM »
I've had nothing but good luck with the USPS. As a matter of fact they like me so much they give me my mail and the mail for other people living nearby who share the same numeric address as mine. The streets do not always match but the house number does. Sometimes since my street is the last on their route they will save all my mail for a few days and send me three days worth of mail in the middle of the week. Are the stamp prices going up this year? I think the postal people earn every penny they receive. Not.

Offline philb

Going Postal II
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2005, 03:16:32 PM »
Quote from: Bruno
Maybe you need update your data :

"IMPORTANT INFORMATION

Be advised that the Consular Office of the Embassy of Ukraine does NOT offer 1 (one) business day visa processing. We offer 9 (nine) business day visa processing and rush processing for 3 (three) days.
The Consular Office of the Embassy of Ukraine is now accepting mail delivered by FedEx and Express Mail (United States Postal Service) couriers only .
For a return service, please provide the Consular office with Express Mail (United States Postal Service) envelopes only.
Due to too many falsified account numbers or Federal Express air bill no credit card account numbers or federal account numbers will be accepted, only prepaid pre addressed air bills.
http://www.ukraineinfo.us/consular/visas.html

Both FedEx and USPS are possible for send and only USPS for receive...
[/quote]

Well, Bruno those are the rules for the Ukrainian Consulate in Washington DC.  Each consulate (SF, Washington, NY and Chicago) appears to have different rules.  I had to deal with Consulate in San Francisco.  The web site is less than clear and when I called and asked I was specifically told USPS Express Mail only.  So you might want to be careful with your advice, that is unless you have some personal experience in applying for a Ukrainian Visa in the US.

Besides it appears I still need to deal with the USPS on the return from Washington
« Last Edit: April 05, 2005, 03:20:00 PM by philb »

Offline AkMike

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: Resident
Going Postal II
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2005, 03:52:36 PM »
USPS lost my passport and visa both directions for a total of 2 weeks. I had to re-do my plane tickets and that cost me a bundle.. Never again. It's Fed-Ex for anything important. They even completely lost the MSO, (manufacturers statement of origion) for a commercial trailer I bought. I couldn't use the trailer until I got a second MSO so I could title and license it.

Offline wxman

Going Postal II
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2005, 05:06:42 PM »
This is from the Chicago consulate. It is different from the others. I can send via Fed ex, or express mail, but am not required to have it sent back express mail. Apparently I can have it sent back with regular postage. Yea, like I'm going to do that. Also, the visa form I must use it in pdf form, but it is the colored form, not the newer pdf forms. I've read on other forums that there have been petitions to the new government from employees at that consulate, to have Yushencho remove the consulate general there.

If you apply by mail, you should enclose a completely-addressed and stamped return envelope or prepaid airbill for USA delivery only, bearing your account number and showing your company as both the shipper and the recipient. We do not accept airbills marked "Bill Recipient", or "Bill Third Party", or "Bill Credit Card", or C.O.D.

For applicants' convenience, documents may be submitted to the Consulate General by mail (FedEx, Express Mail, Priority Mail only), messenger or courier services.

If you fail to follow the above-mentioned requirements, your visa application will not be processed.

If the travel document is to be sent back, a prepaid, self-addressed return envelope or a courier service's air bill is required from the submitter. When there is no enclosed prepaid, self-addressed return envelope or a courier service's air bill, the travel document can upon its owner or other submitter notarized request, be kept at the Consulate General without charge for personal pickup or may be mailed to a designated address by regular mail.
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting that vote." – Benjamin Franklin -

Offline Bruno

Going Postal II
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2005, 09:53:48 PM »
Quote from: philb
Well, Bruno those are the rules for the Ukrainian Consulate in Washington DC.  Each consulate (SF, Washington, NY and Chicago) appears to have different rules.  I had to deal with Consulate in San Francisco.  The web site is less than clear and when I called and asked I was specifically told USPS Express Mail only.  So you might want to be careful with your advice, that is unless you have some personal experience in applying for a Ukrainian Visa in the US.

Besides it appears I still need to deal with the USPS on the return from Washington
Well, i have no experience in US... for ukrainian visa... but i have check the site of San Francisco... it is around the same that for Chicago

[align=justify]If you apply by mail, you should enclose a completely-addressed and stamped return envelope or prepaid airbill for USA delivery only, bearing your account number and showing your company as both the shipper and the recipient. We do not accept airbills marked "Bill Recipient", or "Bill Third Party", or "Bill Credit Card", or C.O.D. [/align]

[align=justify]For applicants' convenience, documents may be submitted to the Consulate General by mail, messenger or courier services.[/align]

[align=justify]If the travel document is to be sent back, a prepaid, self-addressed return envelope or a courier service's air bill is required from the submitter. When there is no enclosed prepaid, self-addressed return envelope or a courier service's air bill, the travel document can upon its owner or other submitter notarized request, be kept at the Consulate General without charge for personal pickup or may be mailed to a designated address by regular mail.[/align]
[align=justify]http://www.ukrainesf.com/consular/english/visas/how.html[/align]
For the return, it seem that air bill, a FedEx service is possible... but maybe i need to post the same diclaimer that the consulate site when i post :

The information on this web-site is provided as a public service, but we cannot guarantee that the information is current or accurate. Readers should verify the information before acting on it. Last modified 11 Feb 2005... :D:D:D:P
« Last Edit: April 05, 2005, 09:54:00 PM by Bruno »

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8884
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541463
Total Topics: 20864
Most Online Today: 3302