It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Belarus - transiting - but arriving from RUSSIA - by plane  (Read 19036 times)

Offline msmob

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
Belarus - transiting - but arriving from RUSSIA - by plane
« on: August 31, 2017, 08:28:17 AM »
Spent this afternoon trying to get a straight answer to a Q

I am flying with Belavia from Russia to the United Kingdom

Can one fly with Belavia ( National Airline of BY = Belarus ) from Moscow to the UK- via Minsk ?  As a normal transit passenger - this is a no brainier - but I am treated as a DOMESTIC passenger on the flight from Russia to Belarus..

The telephone number listed for the Visa officers at the Airport - no answer

Didn't bother emailing as I needed a prompt response - so rang Belavia in Minsk

She told me I could 'transit' - even thought I will arrive as a domestic passenger ( flights from RU-BY are considered domestic - no passport control ) I am on a ticket with an onward destitution - with the same airline.

So, it looks like I won't 'leave' Russia until I leave Belarus at the BY passport control .....  as they have a customs and immigration agreement

Anyone else done this, recently ?

« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 08:42:13 AM by msmob »

Online Hammer2722

• Spouse's Country: Belarus
  • Trips: 4 - 10
Re: Belarus - transiting - but arriving from RUSSIA - by plane
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2017, 09:03:34 AM »
If I remember right, my girl who is from Minsk stated that now you can stay up to 5 days there without a visa. Not sure if there were any other limitations. Perhaps others can clarify this.
every ship can be a minesweeper at least once...

Offline Nightwish

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2017, 09:07:41 AM »
If I remember right, my girl who is from Minsk stated that now you can stay up to 5 days there without a visa. Not sure if there were any other limitations. Perhaps others can clarify this.

correct, 5 days without visa if you arrive by plane to Minsk (no other way of transportation)

Multitasking means screwing up several things at once.

Offline BillyB

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2017, 09:49:08 AM »
- but I am treated as a DOMESTIC passenger on the flight from Russia to Belarus..

The airport you're landing in may not be considered an international airport. International airports wouldn't require people to have visas if they're just stopping for a layover and not leaving the airport. Domestic airports different story. Sounds like Hammer and Nightwish both agree you can be in Belarus 5 days without a visa. If for some reason they put you in jail because you violated the law, just send us a message. You know we'll take care of you. I'll send you a box of slippery soap ;)
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline msmob

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2017, 10:13:10 AM »
Thanks guys

I am WELL aware than arriving from an international destination means a 5 day visa ! ))

However, I am arriving on what is considered a DOMESTIC flight as Belarus and Russia share the migration system ... My landing card/ migration slip that is handed back when I leave Russia states Russian Federation AND Republic of Belarus

So, I will not go through passport control on entering Belarus - only go through on LEAVING ... ))

Transiting normally means you don't GO through passport control )) 

« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 10:36:42 AM by msmob »

Offline Nightwish

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2017, 10:17:28 AM »
well then your f*cked and will get detained and sent to Gulag and spend the rest of our days digging for coal and eating rotten potato..

you will be missed moby  :-\

Offline msmob

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2017, 10:48:06 AM »
well then your f*cked and will get detained and sent to Gulag and spend the rest of our days digging for coal and eating rotten potato..

I'm wondering if I'll serve hard labour in BY or RU ? :)

Offline BillyB

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2017, 11:03:56 AM »

Doesn't matter where you serve prison time, you drop the slippery soap and bend over to pick it up, you will get something hard.

Once I was in Moscow's SVO international airport. Across on the other side of the runway was the SVO's domestic airport. Short drive away. My visa was dated for the next day. Passport control wouldn't let me out of the international airport until past midnight so I had to stay in the international side for hours. Hope you don't get stuck in Belarus! A little drama isn't going to kill you.
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline LAman

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2017, 11:23:39 AM »
You guys are funny.....like throwing darts at a board, no one gave any correct answers( a normal thing here). Moby, you would have got your info if you only went to a place where 'experienced' people are.....living in that 'specific area' of needed info. I always mentioned here that Trip Advisor gives excellent info( travel forums). Your saving grace is you have both flights on Belavia which you can transfer legally BUT do not make wrong turn when transferring in airport and mistakenly enter into Belarus. If you do you'll be detained and possibly miss connecting flight. I did once and talked my way back in.....with a single exit stamp.

Just so you guys know, the 5 day visa free allowance is any intl flight ( other than from Russia) and only flying into Minsk( can't drive into Belarus).

Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift

Offline mhr7

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2017, 11:37:13 AM »
Thanks guys

I am WELL aware than arriving from an international destination means a 5 day visa ! ))

However, I am arriving on what is considered a DOMESTIC flight as Belarus and Russia share the migration system ... My landing card/ migration slip that is handed back when I leave Russia states Russian Federation AND Republic of Belarus

So, I will not go through passport control on entering Belarus - only go through on LEAVING ... ))

Transiting normally means you don't GO through passport control ))

Because it's a domestic flight your landing card/migration slip won't be taken when you leave Russia. They will be taken in Minsk when you go through passport control to board your flight to London and serve as evidence that you were transiting from Russia. You'll have no problems, I've been through it a few times.
"After your death, you will be what you were before your birth." - Schopenhauer

Offline jone

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2017, 01:09:24 PM »
You guys are funny.....like throwing darts at a board, no one gave any correct answers( a normal thing here). Moby, you would have got your info if you only went to a place where 'experienced' people are.....living in that 'specific area' of needed info. I always mentioned here that Trip Advisor gives excellent info( travel forums). Your saving grace is you have both flights on Belavia which you can transfer legally BUT do not make wrong turn when transferring in airport and mistakenly enter into Belarus. If you do you'll be detained and possibly miss connecting flight. I did once and talked my way back in.....with a single exit stamp.

Just so you guys know, the 5 day visa free allowance is any intl flight ( other than from Russia) and only flying into Minsk( can't drive into Belarus).

Can't tell you how many times I've used Trip Advisor.  It is a valuable tool in a traveler's tool chest.
Kissing girls is a goodness.  It beats the hell out of card games.  - Robert Heinlein

Offline BillyB

« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2017, 01:55:54 PM »
BUT do not make wrong turn when transferring in airport and mistakenly enter into Belarus. If you do you'll be detained

There you have it Moby. Make one mistake and you could be somebody's bitch for the next 5 years.

Offline LAman

« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2017, 02:07:49 PM »
Because it's a domestic flight your landing card/migration slip won't be taken when you leave Russia. They will be taken in Minsk when you go through passport control to board your flight to London and serve as evidence that you were transiting from Russia. You'll have no problems, I've been through it a few times.

Not sure if rules changed mhr7, flights leaving Russia to Minsk are are from international area and vise-versa on return. My passport was stamped in Russia and card taken. I am not sure if it was a mistake or not because I have heard it both ways. Most definitely I will not get a migration card in Belarus when I fly back to Russia.... Should be no immigration there for me.

Offline mhr7

« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2017, 02:57:05 PM »

Not sure if rules changed mhr7, flights leaving Russia to Minsk are are from international area and vise-versa on return. My passport was stamped in Russia and card taken. I am not sure if it was a mistake or not because I have heard it both ways. Most definitely I will not get a migration card in Belarus when I fly back to Russia.... Should be no immigration there for me.

The last time I did it the flight left from the domestic area so there was no passport control to go through. If it is an international flight I imagine passport control in Minsk would just look at the date of the Russian stamp and the boarding pass stub from the Moscow flight. I'm sure they have seen this many, many times. When I flew back to Russia through Minsk I was given an immigration card there as the return flight to Moscow was also considered domestic.

Edit - If it's an int'l flight then you can just go straight to the transit area.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 09:16:06 PM by mhr7 »

Offline msmob

« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2017, 04:03:36 PM »
Moby, you would have got your info if you only went to a place where 'experienced' people are.....living in that 'specific area' of needed info. I always mentioned here that Trip Advisor gives excellent info( travel forums).

Conflicting info there, too - hence I asked on here .......

Offline JayH

« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2017, 05:16:39 PM »

You know someone? You can arrange? ;D
SLAVA UKRAYINI  ! HEROYAM SLAVA!!!!
Слава Украине! Слава героям слава!Слава Україні! Слава героям!
 translated as: Glory to Ukraine! Glory to the heroes!!!  is a Ukrainian greeting slogan being used now all over Ukraine to signify support for a free independent Ukraine

Offline JayH

« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2017, 05:19:51 PM »

If anyone has read Trenchcoat here they will lock him up with you ! Now-- that would be exceptionally hard labour!! ;D
SLAVA UKRAYINI  ! HEROYAM SLAVA!!!!
Слава Украине! Слава героям слава!Слава Україні! Слава героям!
 translated as: Glory to Ukraine! Glory to the heroes!!!  is a Ukrainian greeting slogan being used now all over Ukraine to signify support for a free independent Ukraine

Offline msmob

« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2017, 03:28:37 PM »
If anyone has read Trenchcoat here they will lock him up with you ! Now-- that would be exceptionally hard labour!! ;D

But I wouldn't be short of advice on questions he'd just asked and WHAT a sense of humour ...

Back on topic :

Well, now.... I have just 'left' Russia - I was directed to a taped off "Flights to Belarus" section in Sector B at DME..My migration card has been removed from my grasp and I'm heading into the 'unknown' )) 
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 03:32:51 PM by msmob »

Offline mhr7

« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2017, 04:34:16 PM »
Well, now.... I have just 'left' Russia - I was directed to a taped off "Flights to Belarus" section in Sector B at DME..My migration card has been removed from my grasp and I'm heading into the 'unknown' ))

Guess they changed protocol. Last time I did it I flew Aeroflot out of SVO.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 04:39:24 PM by mhr7 »

Offline LAman

« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2017, 01:23:18 AM »

Card removed, haha, let's see if you get out of free zone and walk around arrivals.....I mean departure area and run around with your head cut off!! Hint for you....remember  letter 'B'....... Very important. Too bad I don't know any officials or else I would have them detain you a week, so this forum can have a relax moment, there couple others I wish would happen too.....but THATS a fantasy.

Offline msmob

« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2017, 04:04:41 AM »

Card removed, haha, let's see if you get out of free zone and walk around arrivals.....I mean departure area and run around with your head cut off!! Hint for you....remember  letter 'B'....... Very important. Too bad I don't know any officials or else I would have them detain you a week, so this forum can have a relax moment, there couple others I wish would happen too.....but THATS a fantasy.

Well now,  LAmam, 'sorry to disappoint', but for those interested ...

Minsk Intl' is a bit of a misnomer as there is no hub-like transit zone..you enter the terminal through the baggage zone and you are able in arrivals and could take a taxi to the centre !

I had to cleect my boarding card at check-in...Sochi could not issue all three and was asked,. 'Where's is your luggage?'...I explained that it was checked through to be collected at Manchester in the UK..She checked..'Ah yes, all is OK '  and was presented with my boarding card and instructions as to which gate..

Went through security and at passport control chose the queue where I noted smiles on passengers' faces..

My turn..

The guy was young and the first question asked was, 'Where's your migration card?'. )

I pointed out that I had just arrived with Belavia ex DME and had proffered my boarding cards ftlrom Sochi and Moscow and my RU exit stamp with that days stamp...

There followed much checking of my passport...more than I have ever encountered and lots of typing, before and smile and 'Have a good flight'.

Conclusion: Noone was right...that includes LAman... The Russians and Belarusians can't seem to agree on the procedure )

There were folks on my fly to the UK who arrived from other RU airports who had exactly the same experience and stated, 'not doing THAT again'...

I would..I liked the Belavia staff..food..v.iify, though..stale sandwiches from DME to MSQ... everyone.commented on that!

Offline mhr7

« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2017, 10:46:17 AM »
Minsk Intl' is a bit of a misnomer as there is no hub-like transit zone..you enter the terminal through the baggage zone and you are able in arrivals and could take a taxi to the centre !

So sounds like you left DME from the int'l terminal but arrived as a domestic flight. If you had arrived as an int'l fight you would have been directed to the transit zone.

Offline Boethius

• Trips: No Selection
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2017, 12:05:44 PM »

Have to say, as someone with family who were in gulags, and others in jail for political crimes, I don't find such posts "humorous". 
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline Nightwish

« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2017, 12:53:45 PM »

Have to say, as someone with family who were in gulags, and others in jail for political crimes, I don't find such posts "humorous".

ok, noted...
not that I care if you find it humorous or not, but it's noted.
201x the decade everyone gets offended by everything...all the time. I find that very offensive

Offline BillyB

« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2017, 02:32:01 PM »

One time in Moscow, I couldn't get through passport control because I wasn't supposed to enter into the country until the next day. My flight was supposed to leave before midnight so they told me I couldn't go through passport control until midnight.

When I was at Communist passport control I noticed a lot of passport border agents smoking under a sign that said "no smoking". Young man in the booth looks at my passport and me numerous times. He finally said "YOU have a problem". I said "What do you mean?" He said "YOU have a very big problem" I hate people who don't get to the meat of the problem and maintain the drama.

He calls Aeroflot security over to detain me until I'm legal to get through passport control. They told me they can get me through if the right persons are working the gates for $100. I see they make things easy for terrorists to buy their way to their destination. I waited for hours and getting frustrated and they remained rude everytime I'd ask how much longer. One reason I won't fly Aeroflot anymore.

Come to find out, there is a government office at the airport that can issue visas for $50 which Aeroflop failed to disclose. Hot looking middle aged woman working there in a Communist inspired outfit asked me why I came into the country with a visa not valid as if I wanted to cause myself aggravation. After waiting there for a long time, she finally agreed to issue me a visa. If I had more time, I'd ask her out on a date. I paid the money and the process to print a visa took a long time. When  I was legal to get through passport control, I was running through the airport to get there. When there, forgot which pocket my documents were in. I was then surrounded by 6 police officers who were wanting to see my documents. I had four pockets in my pants and two on my shirt. I was sweating from running and I began to pull out a wad of cash from one pocket. They all turned their heads away. I said "wrong pocket". I pull out some papers and money from another pocket and they all turn their heads away quickly. Bunch of people in line at passport control watching this and I think the police know they have a reputation for collecting bribes. They turned their heads away about 5 times until my last pocket had the documents they wanted to see. I got through passport control but I missed the flight. Had to sleep in the airport hugging my luggage to prevent theft until the next flight left for Novosibirsk half a day later.

After getting to the SVO's terminal for domestic flights, I noticed a guy 7 seats away sleeping and a couple of cops start poking him hard with their batons to wake him up. They later escort him away.

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541004
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 11
Guests: 1880
Total: 1891

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 11:16:08 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by ML
Today at 10:31:43 AM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 09:47:10 AM

What to do by 2tallbill
Today at 09:37:41 AM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by 2tallbill
Today at 09:18:17 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 07:00:25 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Brillynt
Today at 06:16:36 AM

Yesterday at 09:20:42 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 09:12:54 PM

Yesterday at 09:02:12 PM