It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: I am a Russian woman. I am happy to answer all your questions  (Read 32773 times)

Offline Anotherkiwi

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: 1 - 3
Re: I am a Russian woman. I am happy to answer all your questions
« Reply #75 on: January 12, 2015, 11:22:37 PM »
 :welcome: Falcon61!

I'm obviously not a Russian woman, but...whatever you are thinking dreaming about, stop it right now!

I am very early in a relationship with a wonderful woman from khabarovsk vtoroy  Russia.

Also when you meet the woman and her family for the first time, is it customary to buy the family members gift.

I am in love with a wonderful woman named Irina from Khabarovsk Russia.
She wants me to move to Russia, marry her and live there.
She says I could become a Russian citizen after living there for three years.
Nothing has been decided yet.
I work as a medical lab technician. How likely would it be to find a job in that field in Khabarovsk.
Also what kind of salary could I expect over there?
I would rather she bring her daughters and come live in the USA.
But I am  willing to give it consideration providing I can get a job.
Any advice?

You might well be in lust, but you haven't met so you can't possibly be in love.  The one advantage of moving to Russia to live is that it would be far cheaper for you than bringing a woman and two (or more?) children to your country.  However, think this through with your BIG head, please!

You're a lab technician, so your work is technical.  How much training did you have?  Three or four years at university, then (presumably) a fairly lengthy period of practical laboratory work to get to the level you're at now?  Now think about starting that all over again, in a language that I guess you don't speak and with an alphabet that, for many people, takes a lot of getting used to.  How long do you seriously think it would take to get to the same level in Russia as you're at now?  Five years?  Ten?

On the positive side, Khabarovsk is a big city, so I imagine that there would be opportunities in your field.  However, you would have to assume that any vacancies would be offered to Russian citizens long before you could get a foot in the door.  Another assumption would be that Irina works, but does she earn enough to support you as well as her own family?  Do you have enough savings to potentially support a family of four (or more) people for several years without work if she lost her job?  I don't know what she earns, but salaries in Russia are tiny compared with the West, and you would have to factor this in as well.  Cost of living is also well below where you are now, but that is already changing for the "ordinary people" with the sanctions that Russia has imposed on itself.

You've stated that you would rather bring Irina and her daughters to the USA.  Do you think that you earn enough, and have enough spare cash, to do so?  Most posters from the USA seem to think that a minimum annual salary of $75,000 is what's needed, plus your own home (most Russians don't have mortgages, so that may need some explaining if you have one), and at least an extra $20,000 in relocation costs (much more if three or more people are coming).  From what you've written I'm guessing (again) that she speaks English - how fluent is she?  Depending on ages, you will have English lessons (possibly only for the children), school and university tuition costs in the future, plus buying an extra car (or two), plus new furniture, linen, home appliances...the list never ends.  :'(  Those numbers may seem extreme, and plenty of people have done it for less, but it would surely pay to over-estimate what's needed, rather than to run out of money six months after she arrives.

I don't want to knock your enthusiasm, but a dose of reality may be better now than when she's about to arrive at the airport.  The first thing you have to do is go to meet her - there are direct flights from Seoul, Beijing and Tokyo to Khabarovsk, so you only need one flight change from the West Coast of the USA.  Work out the best time to visit - it's the middle of winter now, so she may suggest that you wait a couple of months.  How much vacation time do you have?  That's also a factor, because you will need to visit regularly to keep the romance going.

Plenty for you to think about - just don't get your hopes up amongst the stars just yet!

Whatever you decide, I wish you the best of luck.

Offline cc3

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #76 on: January 13, 2015, 01:03:47 AM »
Falcon61, I live in the FSU and am here to tell you that Anotherkiwi's words are words of extreme wisdom. The romance of your situation will be smothered by the poor gray reality of life in the FSU for an unsuspecting, inexperienced (in the ways of the FSU and its people), and naive American.

Offline southernX

• Trips: > 10
« Reply #77 on: January 13, 2015, 11:25:27 PM »
falcon 61
i would aslo support another kiwis views , you should do some deep thinking & research on this ,

your best possibilitys for all of you are in your home country , go , meet the lady and make plans from there if it has potential

SX
Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.

Offline Falcon61

« Reply #78 on: January 29, 2015, 03:03:55 PM »
Here is an update.
Irina and I are getting along extremely well.
It has been decided that she will move to the USA to live with me.
Then after I retire in about 12 years, we will have the option of going to live in Russia for a while.
Who knows what we will decide in 12 years.
New question. Irina will send me an invitation to visit her in Khabarovsk.
What kind of expenses can I expect in order to visit her.
I know plane tickets are not cheap.
Is there a fee associated with the issuing of an invitation?
I know there will be passport fees, visa fees, etc.
What can I expect?

Offline BillyB

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #79 on: January 29, 2015, 04:34:33 PM »
Is there a fee associated with the issuing of an invitation?

Most companies issuing the visa will give you the invitation. Read Travisa.com or GotoRussia.com for info. You must register your visa within a few days when in Russia and the hotel you're staying at can do that for you. They may charge you a fee. If you stay at your lady's place, you can go to a hotel or police station to register. Bring money.
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline Anotherkiwi

« Reply #80 on: January 29, 2015, 05:25:14 PM »
Here is an update.
Irina and I are getting along extremely well.

I'm pleased that things are going so well - really, I am.

Quote from: Falcon61
It has been decided that she will move to the USA to live with me.

You still haven't met.  Please DON'T put the cart before the horse, or count your chickens before they've hatched (or any other similar metaphor).  From what you've written, I'm guessing that she is around 20 years (+/- 5?) younger than you - this is another VERY good reason not to jump into these waters without thinking things through extremely seriously.  I'm not trying to be a total merchant of doom and gloom here, but many of us have been through a similar experience - everything is absolutely wonderful until you meet, then it turns to custard in two minutes flat.  Of course it may remain wonderful, but you won't know until you get there and meet her in person.

The other thing which you must take into account (and it's HUGE) is the relationship you will have with her daughters.  If they decide that they don't like you (for whatever reason), your relationship with their mother is over - simple as that.  No Russian woman will EVER put a possible romantic relationship ahead of her children, especially if they're old enough to know their own minds.

Then after I retire in about 12 years, we will have the option of going to live in Russia for a while.
Who knows what we will decide in 12 years.

At this stage, you have no idea what the situation will be in 12 weeks, let alone 12 months or 12 years.  What will happen to the children at that stage?  How old will they be, and will they be able to cope on their own in the USA?  Or is the intention to uproot them, once again, and cart them back to Russia?

New question. Irina will send me an invitation to visit her in Khabarovsk.
What kind of expenses can I expect in order to visit her.
I know plane tickets are not cheap.

A basic search shows that Lexington to Khabarovsk return (via Chicago) is just over $1,800 US if you go in March, which doesn't seem particularly expensive given the potential costs that you may incur.  You can probably find something cheaper without too much digging.  Allow $100 a day for accommodation, plus whatever you think reasonable for food and drink - maybe another $50-100.  Remember that, even though it's Irina's home town, you will almost certainly be expected to pay for EVERYTHING.

Most importantly, as BillyB wrote, take money (as in actual folding cash).  You may well find that your American credit/debit cards don't work because of the sanctions, or get swallowed by a bankomat (ATM) as happened to me.  If that happens, and youcard gets cancelled, make arrangements with Visa or MasterCard to send money to you through Western Union - it's slightly cumbersome, but it does work.  They have toll-free numbers within Russia.  Arranging for a temporary credit card to be sent to you is a complete waste of time - no Russian bank will honour it (as I found to my dismay).

I know there will be passport fees, visa fees, etc.
What can I expect?

Do you not already have a passport?  Or did it expire some years ago?  You're over 50 - if you have never been out of the USA, the Russian Far East doesn't seem the best place to get your touristic feet wet.

Anyway, good luck - but please think things through analytically, rather than just through your heart.

Offline Falcon61

« Reply #81 on: January 29, 2015, 07:52:59 PM »
This is to answer some of Another kiwis questions.
Irina is 43 not 20. I am 53.
Her daughters are 15 and 7.
I do have some concerns about the 15 year old. Teenagers are hard to deal with in any country.
My passport expired many years ago.
I have lived eight years in foreign countries. But have never been to Russia.
I did not meet Irina through any of the bride websites.
We met on a site called Hi5. Basically a social website.
We have been talking daily for nearly two months now.
Everything has progressed fairly slowly and we are really learning a lot about each other.
I have seen many of your 20 somethings online. Usually using fill in the blank letter templates.
Irina is not like that. I feel that she is very sincere. I suspected her at first. But over time I have come to love and respect her.
No we have not met yet. I hope to meet her this summer.
I told her early on that I would not make the trip unless I felt that we would have a very good chance of having a successful relationship. There are no guarantees. It is a lot of money to invest in basically a blind date.
But I feel we have a good chance at succeeding.
She speaks English but her girls don't.
So the real challenge is that I have to learn Russian.
Which in itself looks like a very difficult endeavor.
Wish me luck

Offline AC

• Banned Member
  • Spouse's Country: No Selection
« Reply #82 on: January 29, 2015, 08:42:19 PM »
I do have some concerns about the 15 year old. Teenagers are hard to deal with in any country.
Everything has progressed fairly slowly and we are really learning a lot about each other.
I have seen many of your 20 somethings online. Usually using fill in the blank letter templates.
Irina is not like that. I feel that she is very sincere. I suspected her at first. But over time I have come to love and respect her.
I told her early on that I would not make the trip unless I felt that we would have a very good chance of having a successful relationship. There are no guarantees. It is a lot of money to invest in basically a blind date.
Wish me luck

Good luck Falcon.   

Offline Bruce lee

• Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #83 on: January 29, 2015, 11:56:38 PM »
Wish me luck
A few notes about Khabarovsk been there in both summer and winter – summer is pretty hot + plenty of mosquitos (some may be used to this, but me being a Brit was not), air con will almost certainly be your friend – while in the winter not the coldest place I’ve visited there, it’s still really harsh!

From your description it looks like your lady is on the up, however anything can go wrong in the early stages, while you may not be comfortable with it I would recommend a back-up or at least an idea of where a back-up can be located - Khabarovsk has a nice city centre but not enough to keep a tourist active for any more than a few days. Worth noting, in the 6 days over  those 2 seasons I was there I can’t recall seeing any Western bride seekers that were obvious – there were probably some but it’s unlikely to be a hot bed of MOB activity.

Just one slightly negative – waiting another 6 months to visit is a bit much, if you have been lucky to have located a good one its rarely advisable to leave it to long – be aware there will be other guys in this search willing and capable of moving much quicker!

Good luck anyway
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 12:32:00 AM by Bruce lee »

Offline Anotherkiwi

« Reply #84 on: January 31, 2015, 03:58:27 AM »

Thank you for being so open.

No, you misread me.  I wrote "20 (+/- 5?) years younger than you," not that she was 20.  A ten year gap, while still reasonably substantial, is much easier to deal with.

This is where I came unstuck in my guessing - at 28, she was MUCH older than the average first-time mother in Russia.  To have another child at 36 would be even rarer.

We all know that.  However, if your relationship with her mother continues, she will pick up English ten times quicker than you will learn Russian.

Well, that's much more experience of foreign living than most on this site, so I'm sure that you will have seen all sorts of things in those years.  That still won't necessarily prepare you for Russia, which I found was seriously different from anywhere else I had ever been.

That was one question that I didn't actually ask.  :D

Slow is good, so long as it's not too slow.  Whatever your feelings, you haven't met so you can't be in love.  You will need that component if the relationship is to progress to marriage (unless you're happy to be a mule, which I'm sure you're not).

That's the sort of thinking which the experienced ones here want to read - good!  :thumbsup:

But how good is that English?  If it's 9 or 10/10 you don't have a worry.  As it drops below that level the potential for miscommunication gets exponentially bigger.  Even a woman who thinks her level is 6 or 7 is probably over-estimating her ability by 20 or 30%.  At least you're talking to Irina regularly, so I assume (again!) that her level is pretty high.  Again, as I wrote above, the girls will pick up English way quicker than you can hope to learn Russian.

If you seriously see them as your future family, learn the basics of the language, but no more until you have the paperwork underway for a K-1 visa.  Don't bother going too deeply into it, however, because they will all need to speak English once they get to the USA (I'm talking social inter-actions here - work, school, etc - rather than being xenophobic about the culture).  Of course they will continue to speak Russian at home, which is where you would probably feel the worth of upgrading your language skills.

Wish me luck

Already did.  Enjoy your trip, whatever the outcome (unless you're mugged or something, of course!  :'().

Offline Pushkin7

« Reply #85 on: February 08, 2015, 10:27:14 AM »
Thank you for your kind offering.  I have questions regarding parental rights in the Russian Federation when a child was born in a foreign country, particularly rights and obligations of the father.  Perhaps you can provide links (even Russian sites).  Thanks

Offline Lily

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #86 on: February 08, 2015, 12:14:40 PM »
Pushkin, for a foreign born child, the citizenship of both parents would matter. In the parental rights, father and mother have equal rights.

Re rights of a parent who lives apart from his/her child":

http://www.zakonrf.info/sk/66/
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 12:23:58 PM by Lily »
Da, da, Canada; Nyet, nyet, Soviet!

Offline Olga-Interpreter

• Commercial Member
  • Trips: No Selection
« Reply #87 on: May 29, 2015, 01:20:13 PM »
Здравствуйте, Елена! Если Вы еще не нашли своего мужчину, зарегистрируйтесь на сайт знакомств  http://www.beautifulbrides.eu/?language=ru

www.beautifulbrides.eu

Возможно, эта информация Вам будет полезна. Спасибо
www.olgalapinska.com interpreter from Dnepropetrovsk

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541017
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2385
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 11
Guests: 2240
Total: 2251

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 09:57:04 PM

Re: Plumber earnings by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 09:37:55 PM

Plumber earnings by ML
Yesterday at 07:49:26 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 07:23:34 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 06:28:48 PM

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by 2tallbill
Yesterday at 04:48:07 PM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Yesterday at 04:37:18 PM

If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by 2tallbill
Yesterday at 04:17:08 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 02:48:08 PM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Yesterday at 01:09:03 PM