It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Best programs for learning Russian  (Read 3717 times)

Offline cameraguymn

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 4 - 10
Best programs for learning Russian
« on: February 25, 2021, 05:37:10 PM »
Rosetta Stone? Babel?

What's your experience?

Offline ML

• Trips: > 10
Re: Best programs for learning Russian
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2021, 06:11:07 PM »
My suggestion for learning  Russian is the same as what I do when I feel like exercising.

I simply sit down and relax until the feeling goes away.

Don't waste your time and  money learning any language unless you plan to move there permanently.

Use your spare time to earn more money . . . you are going to need money much more than a tiny knowledge of Russian.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline Boethius

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: No Selection
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2021, 06:12:12 PM »
Almost no one here speaks Russian.

Just read the reviews.  That's likely the best way to learn about the programs.
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline rwd123

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2021, 07:48:46 PM »
It has been a while since I looked, but -

For speaking and comprehension I found Pimsleur to be an excellent resource, at least at the beginning/intermediate stage. If you hunt around the web you may find MP3 files, otherwise it's not too expensive to purchase. I do recommend this as it helps to obtain conversational skills.

For reading and comprehension Duolingo is fantastic (and free). There's a small spoken component but you have to reach further levels.

Local classes (no idea for you) and online tutoring (italki.com , verbalplanet.com , etc.) are other options. You could try a language exchange buddy (mylanguageexchange.com , etc.) but I've never really done that before. There are video lessons on YouTube but I don't really like them. Once you got a base check out summer schools abroad. Some universities offer 4-6 week courses.

I completely disagree with ML but you can make up your own mind.

(I have never used Rosetta Stone or Babel)

Offline cameraguymn

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2021, 09:31:31 PM »
Thank you! I was going to sign up for Babel but I thought I'd ask the collective wisdom here first.

For speaking and comprehension I found Pimsleur to be an excellent resource, at least at the beginning/intermediate stage. If you hunt around the web you may find MP3 files, otherwise it's not too expensive to purchase. I do recommend this as it helps to obtain conversational skills.

For reading and comprehension Duolingo is fantastic (and free). There's a small spoken component but you have to reach further levels.

Local classes (no idea for you) and online tutoring (italki.com , verbalplanet.com , etc.) are other options. You could try a language exchange buddy (mylanguageexchange.com , etc.) but I've never really done that before. There are video lessons on YouTube but I don't really like them. Once you got a base check out summer schools abroad. Some universities offer 4-6 week courses.

Offline Patagonie

• >25 travels
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2021, 11:49:59 PM »

+1If men rather than spending tons of money and tons of time on online relationships (most of this leading to nothing) were learning Russian they would have a tremendous advantage.
They prefer to aim for an "immediate" advantage rather than to aim for a middle-term strategy.
Additionally, they can significantly help their career and travel. 

Online tutoring is probably the way to go, especially because you can use the jet lag to your advantage. Italki and Red Kalinka. I have dropped the last one for a while because he has become significantly more expansive than Italki. I also prefer Italki because I can choose my teacher. You also have Busuu.
Russian for free can help also.
There are also language exchange buddy sites, but you should wait, IMHO, to have a B1 level before entering it. Because sending hundreds of Hi and how are you will not help you if you are a very beginner. 

Additionally learning the language gives you tons of opportunity to approach FSU women to your advantage because it also means that they are interested in your language and country (is it for genuine intentions 100% ? that's another story)

By the way, I will put a link to a nice guy in my topic for you RWD, it helps for learning Russian.

"Je glissais through the paper wall, an angel in the hand, s taboy. I lay on the floor, surgi des chants de Maldoror, je mix l'intégrale de mes nuits de crystal, i belong to the festival.

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2021, 12:36:16 PM »
ML has a point in my view, the Russian language won't probably land you a girl unless in specific circumstances. Most girls interested in moving abroad will likely know a fair amount of English. Learning a bit of Russian is however good for feeling more confident and aware in surroundings out in the FSU I think. That and feeling more at home in the culture. Will probably get back to it soon but I think it's better as a spare time activity where you can't do much else productive with the time but not so tired as you can't take it in. I think at least a small amount is fun to learn anyway :)
"If you make your own bread, then and only then, are you a free man unchained and alive living in pooty tang paradise, or say no and live in Incel island with all the others." - Krimster

Offline Shadow

• Spouse's Country: Russia
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2021, 01:41:10 PM »
I have found a pretty good program though it takes long time and quite a lot of money. As MrsShadow an me have the agreement both of us speak our native language to the children I have been able to pick up a lot of Russian, though rarely speaking.
Takes a couple of years until the little Shadows started to talk though...
No it is not a dog. Its really how I look.  ;)

Offline tfcrew

• North Texas... Married 21 years
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2021, 08:04:50 AM »
My wife told me when we were first together that she would teach me Russian...
After 20 years I barely have the fluency of a 2 year old
~There is no one more blind than those who refuse to see and none more deaf as those who will not listen~
~Think about the intelligence of the average person and then realize that half of the people are even more stupid than that~

Offline ML

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2021, 08:23:44 AM »
My wife has zero interest in teaching me Russian or Ukrainian.

I will never be interacting with her family or friends that do not know at least basic English; many are fluent.

One close family member in Ukraine has two young children.  She has two law degrees.  In last couple of years she went back to school to obtain certificate as English teacher.  She did this to help with her children learning English; and now has gotten a job teaching English part time at her children's school.

At one time a few years back, there was a proposal in Ukrainian Rada to make English a second official language.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2021, 08:34:04 AM by ML »
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline cameraguymn

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2021, 01:08:18 PM »
My laziness thanks you for all the positive affirmation that I should waste my brain cells on learning Russian. Keep it coming fellas.

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2021, 02:50:01 PM »
My laziness thanks you for all the positive affirmation that I should waste my brain cells on learning Russian. Keep it coming fellas.

Lol, it varies, as a whole it's not necessarily the most essential thing. I was briefly on this forum just a bit over a decade ago. At the time guys were getting stung on all sorts of scams, relationships not working out and hence trying to verify the girl by sending flowers - funny times. Anyway, there was this one guy who had bothered to learn to speak Russian well. I recall he said he went into a Supermarket and chatted to the checkout girl in Russian. Anyway they ended up dating and ended up in a happy LTR etc with her. So he was a very emphatic believer in spending the time to learn the language.

I think in his case it meant he avoided the girls that are after something from a western man. He was not doubt an attractive proposition for a checkout girl as they earn next to nothing out there. Odds are though that she was a more down to earth girl than the ones you often see all dolled up at the airport waiting for their western man date to walk through arrivals.
"If you make your own bread, then and only then, are you a free man unchained and alive living in pooty tang paradise, or say no and live in Incel island with all the others." - Krimster

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 540997
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 9
Guests: 1956
Total: 1965

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:20:42 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 09:12:54 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:02:12 PM

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 08:45:42 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 07:59:27 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 07:04:53 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 06:59:45 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 06:57:42 PM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 06:36:52 PM

Re: Twenty Years... and Counting (MarkInTx Update) by supranatural
Yesterday at 03:02:29 PM