It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Retirement in Ukraine  (Read 32230 times)

Offline calmissile

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 4 - 10
Retirement in Ukraine
« on: December 08, 2011, 11:46:14 AM »
I am starting this thread to hear from Americans and others that have migrated to Ukraine for retirement.  Would like to get opinions from those actually living in Ukraine as to the monthly costs, relative enjoyment of life while living there and the downsides, if any.

Would also hope to hear from some folks that might be living outside the big cities.  Also, those with large gardens to supplement their food sources.
Doug (Calmissile)

Offline Ade

• Spouse's Country: Russia
Re: Retirement in Ukraine
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2011, 12:07:55 PM »
I am starting this thread to hear from Americans and others that have migrated to Ukraine for retirement.  Would like to get opinions from those actually living in Ukraine as to the monthly costs, relative enjoyment of life while living there and the downsides, if any.

Would also hope to hear from some folks that might be living outside the big cities.  Also, those with large gardens to supplement their food sources.

I've neither lived in Ukraine nor have I any intention of retiring there but I have to ask, what is it you think you'll gain by moving there compared to where you live now?

Offline calmissile

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2011, 12:19:40 PM »
Ade,

1.  A quieter, more simple life.  Out of the hustle and bustle of the big city.
2.  Much more friendly people, and closer ties to neighbors.
3.  A new adventure in a different country/culture.
4.  Closer ties to my wifes family.
5.  Enjoyment of raising ones own food on the farm.
6.  No economic worries.

It also does not necessarily mean permanent retirement either.  We have homes in both the US and Ukraine, so it isn't a situation that has to be permanent.  We could, and in fact might just live in Ukraine to enjoy the summers on the Sea of Azov.

What I really want to find out is how people like living in Ukraine that have (had) other options and chose Ukraine to live in.  I did not find it anything like some of the negative comments I have heard.  I guess it all depends on what you want.
Doug (Calmissile)

Offline Eduard

• Commercial Member Restricted
  • Family is where it's at!
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2011, 12:31:57 PM »
interesting topic, Doug!
realrussianmatch.com

Offline ghost of moon goddess

• Empty cans make the most noise :)
  • Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: No Selection
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2011, 12:35:41 PM »
Expat Exchange Living in Ukraine forum:

http://www.expatexchange.com/ukraine/liveinukraine.html
If you want to keep your expressions convergent, never allow them a single degree of freedom.

Offline Ade

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2011, 12:51:50 PM »
Expat Exchange Living in Ukraine forum:

http://www.expatexchange.com/ukraine/liveinukraine.html

There's a nice comment here; http://www.expatexchange.com/expat/index.cfm?frmid=316&tpcid=3353716

If you don't speak some Russian or Ukrainian and are not rich, you are screwed!  I ended up taking Russian for six months. Otherwise I would have remained an outsider and completely alienated!!  Virtually no one speaks English. It makes Poland look like an advanced society a hundred years ahead of Ukraine!!

;D

Offline ghost of moon goddess

• Empty cans make the most noise :)
  • Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: No Selection
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2011, 01:14:46 PM »
Also try this one:
http://www.expatua.com/forum/index.php

Ade, Ukraine is co-hosting the EURO 2012, hopefully Ukrainians will have improved their spoken English by that time
If you want to keep your expressions convergent, never allow them a single degree of freedom.

Offline acctBill

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2011, 01:31:39 PM »
Doug how well do you speak Ukrainian or Russian?  If you're thinking of moving there, learn at least one of the languages now.   I've lived in countries in Europe where I don't speak the language and it is difficult to get around and do everyday tasks without a common language.  Few people in Ukraine will speak English now or 10-15 years from now. 

Other than getting to know your inlaws better I don't find any of your reasons good enough to move to a more backward and corrupt country.  Leading a simpler and cheaper lifestyle in the US is far easy than getting up and moving your family to Ukraine.

Offline Muzh

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2011, 01:33:20 PM »
Also try this one:
http://www.expatua.com/forum/index.php

Ade, Ukraine is co-hosting the EURO 2012, hopefully Ukrainians will have improved their spoken English by that time

True. And then you wake up.  ;)
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead. Thomas Paine - The American Crisis 1776-1783

Offline calmissile

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2011, 01:35:23 PM »
The comments about no one speaking english is a little misleading.  While most Ukrainians do not speak English, you can generally find some one that does if you need to.  My 13 year old step-daughter (to be) has been taking english classes in Ukraine public schools for some time.  I think it is a generational thing.

My experience in several cities has shown that you can find someone that speaks english by looking for younger people for assistance.  While it is true that it would be much better to learn the language, it's not quite as dismal as some would suggest.

I think it would be accurate to say that walking into most stores you will not find clerks that speak english however I did run into a few.
Doug (Calmissile)

Offline calmissile

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2011, 01:50:22 PM »
I suspect that my Ukrainian wife and daughter will be teaching me Russian while we live in the US.  Since they both speak English I doubt it would be a big problem if we decide to move to our current home in Ukraine.

The last month I was there I was surprised at how well you can communicate with merchants without knowing the language.   Having been there, done that I am not worried about the language issue.

As far a backward country, etc., you would need to live there to make an assessment of whether you would be happy or not.  I have already concluded that I would not like to live in Kiev or any of the major cities.   Living on our farm however, is a totally different world.  Also have the nice warm Sea of Azov and nice beaches to enjoy the summers.  It doesn't seem to be any more corrupt than the US.  It's just not hidden as it is here.

The last month I was there we did not witness a single incident of corruption or pay any bribes.  I suspect that this is more prevelant in the large cities and probably those in the business sector.
Doug (Calmissile)

Offline Muzh

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2011, 01:55:26 PM »
The comments about no one speaking english is a little misleading.  While most Ukrainians do not speak English, you can generally find some one that does if you need to.  My 13 year old step-daughter (to be) has been taking english classes in Ukraine public schools for some time.  I think it is a generational thing.

My experience in several cities has shown that you can find someone that speaks english by looking for younger people for assistance.  While it is true that it would be much better to learn the language, it's not quite as dismal as some would suggest.

I think it would be accurate to say that walking into most stores you will not find clerks that speak english however I did run into a few.

Oh boy.

Doug, at the stores you will seldom find a person who knows English or is willing to talk to you in English. I'm referring to the young ones. They'll probably think you are a dirty old man going after them. The old babushkas, on the other hand, will smile at you and will try to "communicate" with them for you to buy something. For you to start having a conversation in English with a young person you need to have something in common. Guys will most probably make fun of you.

Case in point. I was at a cafe using their wifi and playing with my laptop while I had lunch. At a table in front of me sat a deyv (pretty too) with her laptop and to my right were 3 or 4 goons with a rented laptop laughing up a storm. I had an unocked 3G adapter for my laptop which I bought here but hadn't had a chance to investigate the purchase/usage of such. The young chick look like she was doing some research on her laptop and was totally inmersed. Me being shameless asked her, Девушка, вы понимаете по-английски? I got the expected look (of derision) but I insisted by showing her the 3G for my laptop. She did come over because she was curious so we started talking. Bottom line is that she was not sure if the regular SIM card would do the work. I also found out from her that the goons next to us were your typical Fat Yuris laughing at the next victim. (I had my suspicions) I mean, she didn't say it that way, she did mention marraige agency and was visibly upset.

Point is, I had something in common with this girl and she helped me out. ONLY after she was convinced that I was not coming on to her.

Learn Russian.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead. Thomas Paine - The American Crisis 1776-1783

Offline calmissile

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2011, 01:58:49 PM »
Another comment, I have numerous American friends that have retired in Baja, Mexico and their accounts of a backward country seems consitent with what I have witnessed in Ukraine.  The corruption and bribes, etc. exists in a lot of countries.  You can either accept it, or you don't need to live there!

Doug (Calmissile)

Offline calmissile

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2011, 02:16:44 PM »
Muzh,

How long has it been since you spent any significant time in Ukraine?  I am wondering if times have changed or if I just had different experiences.  Your comments about some chicks thinking you are coming on to them was true in some cases but not often.  In most cases they were happy to assist.  The guys there are truly a different animal and I agree, not friendly at all.

Hopefully the current younger generation will be in the positions to assist foreigners as most of them seem to be taking English classes in public schools.
Doug (Calmissile)

Offline artisan5308

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2011, 02:22:17 PM »
Doug,

Although I haven't lived in the Ukraine, I traveled extensively while there and lived in a 30,000 population village about an hour outside of Donetsk for about a month at a time on four different occasions. This place has the demographic you seem to be looking for. It's an agricultural community, yet at the same time some modern features. You can get any electronic devices, appliances, furniture etc.....Here's the rub: Unless you plan on being dependent on your own resources for food, don't expect to pay a lot less for basics such as meat and dairy. Although vegetables are plentiful, don't expect a lot of variety or quality for that matter. You'll spend a lot of money for not a lot of car, but public trans is really decent. Electronics are prohibitively expensive, usually a third or more higher in cost. That being said, Ukrainians got hard scrabble living down to a science and can stretch a hryvna pretty far.
Property in this village can be had for under twenty grand all day and it's a pretty nice village overall. As for the people, they are pretty decent and nice. Not a lot of smiling though. Men can seem aggressive,, even towards woman, which can be startling to observe. I found that if you don't speak russian or ukrainian (mostly in the west), relying on your wife is convenient. Ukranians will tell you however "Vodka makes all communication possible"...lol
It aint what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure that just aint so.......Mark Twain

Offline acctBill

« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2011, 02:58:52 PM »
Doug why do you think so many FSU citizens left the FSU and live in Europe and the US?  Life is hard in the FSU and gets far harder as you get older.  Life is far easier in the west.  Tell a group of American based FSU citizens, about the same age as yourself, that you're thinking of moving to Ukraine for a decade or so.  Ask them if they think it is a good idea.  I'd really be surprised if any of them can give you a good reason to do it, other than being closer to the inlaws.   

Offline artisan5308

« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2011, 03:39:30 PM »
I noticed and commented to my fiance that there seemed to be a lack of "visible" elderly people. You can go to any town in the US or Canada and see half a dozen older folks hanging out in the local coffee shop. Not so in the Ukraine. Not sure if they just stay home for lack of personal transportation, infirmity, or if they die at earlier ages. My fiances parents are in their seventies and both work full days on the family farm and are very healthy folks. Even when I traveled in the cities, Kiev, Yalta, any part of Crimea, all younger people pretty much.
It aint what you don't know that gets you in trouble. It's what you know for sure that just aint so.......Mark Twain

Offline XMan

« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2011, 04:03:15 PM »
I've had similar thoughts regarding retiring there, or living there for periods of time. 
My language ability is still frustratingly limited.  During my visits I ONLY selected women working in stores to communicate with when I had questions about purchasing something.  They were far, far less surly, and far more willing to try to help.  None of them thought I was hitting on them.  Of course, since I spoke some Russian they then assumed I was fluent, even after telling them my ability was limited.   :)

I don't think one can get by more than a few weeks without knowing more of the language.  However, some of the apps and electronic translators can be quite helpful.

It was, by the way, made more complex by the fact that I was in far western Ukraine, where Ukrainian is primarily spoken rather than Russian. 

I would never own a car there.  Way to expensive and they get beaten to death on the horrible roads.  I did largely like the people I met.  But I found the smaller cities and towns more pleasant than places like Kiev and Kharkov, which are too expensive anyway.

Offline tfcrew

• North Texas... Married 21 years
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2011, 05:08:53 PM »

6.  No economic worries.

Puzzled #1 there because Redlands Ca [where you live?] is relatively small ...[68,747]
"No economic worries"?
How is that certain?

~There is no one more blind than those who refuse to see and none more deaf as those who will not listen~
~Think about the intelligence of the average person and then realize that half of the people are even more stupid than that~

Offline calmissile

« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2011, 07:47:15 PM »
tfcrew,

I am not sure I undestand your question.

What I meant was out of the big city like L.A. which is close by to Redlands.  For all practical purposes the concrete jungle of L.A. has extended out to the 'Inland Empire' where I live.
Also, where we have a home is in Primorsk, Ukraine.  Probably less than 5,000.

The no economic worries relates to what is happening in the US.  Higher taxes, mounting debt, future uncertain, etc.  If you own your own home in Ukraine you can live on very modest income (US Social Security, etc.)  Retirement income on top of that is gravy.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 08:55:40 PM by calmissile »
Doug (Calmissile)

Offline calmissile

« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2011, 08:53:20 PM »
Leading a simpler and cheaper lifestyle in the US is far easy than getting up and moving your family to Ukraine.

Doug why do you think so many FSU citizens left the FSU and live in Europe and the US?  Life is hard in the FSU and gets far harder as you get older.  Life is far easier in the west.  Tell a group of American based FSU citizens, about the same age as yourself, that you're thinking of moving to Ukraine for a decade or so.  Ask them if they think it is a good idea.  I'd really be surprised if any of them can give you a good reason to do it, other than being closer to the inlaws.

Bill,

Somehow we ended up on different wavelengths here.   It is NOT cheaper to live in the US than Ukraine.  As I indicated earlier, we already have a home there and will be keeping it when we live in the US.  If you live in rural Ukraine you will probably only spend$100/month at the grocery store because you eat off the farm.  Also, the neighbors share with each other so your diet is pretty well balanced.  For the most part we buy bread, mayo, spices, fish, and a few other items from the grocery store.  This is normal rural living in Ukraine.  The homes are already paid for, so there is no mortgage.  You also need to pay for electricity which is very cheap compared to the US.   I don't recall the natural gas bill, but it can't be too great if a Ukriane pensioner can afford to pay it.  As you probably already know, public transportation is very inexpensive so it really isn't necessary to have a car although we probably would.  Taxi's are also very inexpensive (compared to Kiev) so that's an option for trips under an hour.  We did very well in town with the motor scooter I bought on my last trip and we used it to go all over the place.

As far as asking a local Ukrianian here if they would move back.... I would suspect that if they could take their American $$$ and move back many might choose to do so.    Something you apparently do not understand about American retirees, is that we have been moving to all parts of the world for many years in order to live a better life on a limited income.  Many, many Americans have retired in Baja, Mexico for that very reason.  Many people ask them the same question "How could you possibly want to live in such a backward, corrupt, country.  Apparently they don't mind, because they have been doing it for many years and continue to do so.

The rising costs in America are continuing to drive retirees to other counties.  It's a matter of what lifestyle, weather and social life you want.
Doug (Calmissile)

Offline calmissile

« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2011, 09:37:49 PM »
artisan5308,

I noticed and commented to my fiance that there seemed to be a lack of "visible" elderly people. You can go to any town in the US or Canada and see half a dozen older folks hanging out in the local coffee shop. Not so in the Ukraine. Not sure if they just stay home for lack of personal transportation, infirmity, or if they die at earlier ages. My fiances parents are in their seventies and both work full days on the family farm and are very healthy folks. Even when I traveled in the cities, Kiev, Yalta, any part of Crimea, all younger people pretty much.

Yes, that is true there are relatively few in town.  For the most part they are where you suggest, they are working their land and tending their crops.  One of our next door neighbors in probably in her 80's and has commercial bee hives, two goats, geese, chickens and about 3-4 acres planted with crops.  I have never seen her in town.  I think she sends one of her kids or grandkids to town when necessary.  Every single day and well into the evening you can see her out tending her garden or the bees.  She also has a nice personality and doesn't complain about working hard.

The neigbors on the other side are maybe in their 70's and the lady is tending their garden much of the day and I think her husband has some type of regular job in town.

While you don't see them sitting in coffe shops chatting, they do seem to have their special places to congregate.  In the photo attached, the older guy on the motorscooter is at exactly the same spot every day, all day long chatting with his cronies.  To some extent, I think people are generally too busy with life to sit around talking very much.  Many of the younger folks are coming or going to school and some are just shopping.  A couple of photos of the market my fiance has a stall in.

The blond in the pink is my fiance with my step-son (to be).
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 09:40:52 PM by calmissile »
Doug (Calmissile)

Offline ML

« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2011, 09:42:21 PM »

3.  A new adventure in a different country/culture.
4.  Closer ties to my wife's family.
5.  Enjoyment of raising ones own food on the farm.
6.  No economic worries.

1. You can do this in any country.
2. Questionable.
3. Quite true.
4. Sure.  But what about your family here in states?
5. You can do this in any country.
6. You can't be serious!!!!

And about corruption mentioned by you and another person here . . . do a google and you will find that Ukraine will be near the top  of the list of corrupt countries.  USA will be near the bottom.  I do business in both countries; any comparison is like night and day.

It is great when we find a soul mate; but best try to remain objective and not look at this through rose colored glasses.   :)

And, officially you cannot receive SS check while living in Ukraine.  I know this sounds not believable, but check it out.  You can try to get around it by having your SS check deposited to bank in USA, but some have been caught up in a messy way with this.  Another option is you can go to US Embassy in Kyiv to sign for your SS check each month.  This can get a little tedious.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline calmissile

« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2011, 10:02:15 PM »
but best try to remain objective and not look at this through rose colored glasses.

ML,

How long have you lived in Ukraine, or even visited?   

Doug (Calmissile)

Offline Misha

« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2011, 10:11:54 PM »
If you live in rural Ukraine you will probably only spend$100/month at the grocery store because you eat off the farm.

Wouldn't it be less risky to buy/rent a small farm with a few acres somewhere in the United States? You could grow and can your food, you could keep a few goats, you could pretty much do all that you intend on doing in Ukraine with better guarantees when it comes to health care...

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 540999
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 11
Guests: 1909
Total: 1920

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 07:00:25 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Brillynt
Today at 06:16:36 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:20:42 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 09:12:54 PM

Yesterday at 09:02:12 PM

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 08:45:42 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 07:59:27 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 07:04:53 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 06:59:45 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 06:57:42 PM