It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Travel Insurance  (Read 5055 times)

Offline msmob

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
Travel Insurance
« on: March 22, 2017, 03:21:19 AM »
SC adores Thailand when the Black Sea Coast is not suitable for sunbathing

I have a annual trip policy for health cover when abroad - but I am clueless about buying GOOD insurance for a non UK / non UK resident national - we aren't married, yet.

She has a policy with her bank - but the level of cover doesn't seem as good as mine and I couldn't find one that covered her when she extended her stay by another 15 days .. 'cover only valid before travel' ?

Where we rented am apartment - her neighbours - a family of 4 - Grandma, Ma, Pa and 4 yr old kid - have just endured a tragedy. Dad fell off the back of a Tuk Tuk ... a pickup converted into a Taxi - and has been in a coma for 2 weeks. It is costing 12, 000 USD / day in Intensive care - that's cheap,  compared to the US/ UK - apparently and his initial brain op cost 70K USD.

Grandma and sprog are back in Siberia and Ma was informed that there was no chance of recovery and the Doctors advised her to agree to turn off the kit keeping him alive.

Getting hubbies body back will cost another 5k USD

Luckily, as I understand it - hubby's firm is footing the bill, up to 220K USD. Otherwise Ma would have trouble leaving

I'm asking if anyone knows of a firm that will cover someone already abroad ?

Offline GQBlues

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: None (yet)
Re: Travel Insurance
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2017, 09:28:17 AM »
What I have used for our in-laws was Allianz. I do not know if this is applicable to your particular need, but maybe this link can help you get started.

http://www.travelinsurance.com/?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Travel%20Insurance%20Exact&utm_term=travel%20insurance%20international&utm_content=Travel%20Insurance%20Keywords
Quote from: msmob
1. Because of 'man', global warming is causing desert and arid areas to suffer long, dry spell.
2. The 2018 Camp Fire and Woolsey California wildfires are forests burning because of global warming.
3. N95 mask will choke you dead after 30 min. of use.

Offline msmob

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2017, 11:18:19 AM »
That's kind of you GQBlues !

Sadly, when one tries to complete the form - I hit the problem that the trip had already commenced - I cannot go back to the true date.

Offline GQBlues

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2017, 11:25:28 AM »
moby-

I hope I'm not putting you on any wild goose chase, but I tried to enter hypothetical scenarios to at least get some direction, and what it gave me was a prompt that said, based on your entered information, this *link* will better serve your needs.

The link is: http://www.worldnomads.com/

I hope this serves you better.
1. Because of 'man', global warming is causing desert and arid areas to suffer long, dry spell.
2. The 2018 Camp Fire and Woolsey California wildfires are forests burning because of global warming.

Offline msmob

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2017, 02:27:09 PM »
Again, Thanks GQBlues

It allows cover from tomorrow - 23rd. But all these policies talk of commencing of trip and when I call them .. they say - your trip has started - we cannot cover ..Will write and ask !

Offline msmob

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2017, 02:43:36 PM »
Update: World Nomads are based in Sydney, Australia - so just spoke to Marney and then CAN cover her - but as she is already there there period of cover would not start for three days

That's cool as her policy covers until the 25th

Thank you, GQBlues.

Offline GQBlues

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2017, 02:58:42 PM »
Solid, man!

Offline Anotherkiwi

• Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2017, 05:48:07 PM »
Where we rented am apartment - her neighbours - a family of 4 - Grandma, Ma, Pa and 4 yr old kid - have just endured a tragedy. Dad fell off the back of a Tuk Tuk ... a pickup converted into a Taxi

No, it's not - a Tuk Tuk is more like a three-wheeled golf cart with a motorcycle engine.  It's only a couple of metres long.  There are various versions all around the world.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auto_rickshaw

- and has been in a coma for 2 weeks. It is costing 12, 000 USD / day in Intensive care - that's cheap,  compared to the US/ UK - apparently and his initial brain op cost 70K USD.

Grandma and sprog are back in Siberia and Ma was informed that there was no chance of recovery and the Doctors advised her to agree to turn off the kit keeping him alive.

Getting hubbies body back will cost another 5k USD

Luckily, as I understand it - hubby's firm is footing the bill, up to 220K USD. Otherwise Ma would have trouble leaving.

On those figures, his medical bills are already over the $220,000 limit.  It's a heart-rending story which shows the real value of having adequate travel insurance - despite the opinions of several members here who consider it a waste of time.  Again - you're insuring against the chance of catastrophe, not just against the possibility of theft or loss of personal items or luggage.

Offline msmob

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2017, 10:11:28 PM »
No, it's not - a Tuk Tuk is more like a three-wheeled golf cart with a motorcycle engine.  It's only a couple of metres long.  There are various versions all around the world.

Sighs... have you BEEN to Pattaya, Thailand, AK ... ?  ;)

For THAT is what they are called, there.. the TukTuk has got an upgrade..

On those figures, his medical bills are already over the $220,000 limit.  It's a heart-rending story which shows the real value of having adequate travel insurance - despite the opinions of several members here who consider it a waste of time.  Again - you're insuring against the chance of catastrophe, not just against the possibility of theft or loss of personal items or luggage.

Quite..

Offline Anotherkiwi

• Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2017, 04:21:42 PM »
Sighs... have you BEEN to Pattaya, Thailand, AK ... ?  ;)

For THAT is what they are called, there.. the TukTuk has got an upgrade..

I've never seen one like that in Thailand, but then I haven't been to Pattaya.  However, one of my work colleagues was there last week, and tells me that he didn't see any like the one in your photo.  Then again, I suppose it doesn't really matter, so long as people get the general idea of the type of vehicle we're discussing.

Offline GQBlues

Offline southernX

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2017, 05:15:02 PM »
 in thailand both are called tuk tuk ,

http://www.google.com.au/search?q=tuk+tuk+photos+thailand&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-AU:IE-SearchBox&ie=&oe=&gfe_rd=cr&ei=ePvaWLOcKOnDXtuPkKgM&gws_rd=ssl#spf=1

the 3 wheeled version is most common, however the converted ute/tray back into a taxi/tuk tuk is also very common in phuket / ko samui ,bangkok etc

same as gqs , pics above , it is a very generic term ime there

SX
Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.

Offline msmob

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2017, 07:41:02 PM »
However, one of my work colleagues was there last week, and tells me that he didn't see any like the one in your photo. 

I have seen  3 old -style Tuk tuks - in three trips.( run by hotels)

You cannot take a photo of a Pattya street without the sort I refer to being in shot - also referred to as Bhat Buses.
SC and I use them regularly  - a trip is 20 Bhat per person, per journey

Not the best photo - but here we are on one, which another following:

They are blue in Pattaya

and red in Bangkok

AK, your mate needs to visit an optician

Offline Dell

• Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2017, 03:40:14 AM »
msmob, you were traveling in my neck of the woods. I hope you two enjoy Thailand.

Offline msmob

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2017, 04:28:11 AM »
msmob, you were traveling in my neck of the woods. I hope you two enjoy Thailand.

Dell, Thailand is interesting but the drivers are a little crazy !

SC, my partner has been 4 times - me twice.   

Offline Dell

• Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2017, 05:36:12 AM »
The drivers are absolutely crazy!  :P

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 540997
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 10
Guests: 1970
Total: 1980

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:20:42 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 09:12:54 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:02:12 PM

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 08:45:42 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 07:59:27 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 07:04:53 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 06:59:45 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 06:57:42 PM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 06:36:52 PM

Re: Twenty Years... and Counting (MarkInTx Update) by supranatural
Yesterday at 03:02:29 PM