It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Mink Coat  (Read 10933 times)

Offline KenInUtah

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: 1 - 3
Mink Coat
« on: April 11, 2015, 05:33:38 PM »
OK all, here is a question.  When I go to Russia in a couple weeks, my FSUW wants me to bring her Mink Coat back to the US with me so she doesn't have to pack it when she comes or...God Forbid, risk shipping it.  My question is, do I need to declare this when leaving Russia or declare it when coming in to the US as I am not buying it?

Offline jone

• Trips: > 10
Re: Mink Coat
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2015, 05:42:52 PM »
She gonna wear it up in Deer Valley with the other rich btchs?  Seriously, what does she want a Mink Coat here in the States for unless you are bringing it for her so she has it here when she moves here?

You don't need to declare anything.  It is previously purchased for personal use.  (Unless, of course, it isn't.)  To assist you, you may want to bring with you the bill of sale to confirm that it belongs to your girlfriend.
Kissing girls is a goodness.  It beats the hell out of card games.  - Robert Heinlein

Offline LAman

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2015, 06:10:08 PM »
OK all, here is a question.  When I go to Russia in a couple weeks, my FSUW wants me to bring her Mink Coat back to the US with me so she doesn't have to pack it when she comes or...God Forbid, risk shipping it.  My question is, do I need to declare this when leaving Russia or declare it when coming in to the US as I am not buying it?

Why don't you just wear it?  :o So there is no chance to question you about it!!!
« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 06:12:05 PM by LAman »
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift

Offline KenInUtah

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2015, 06:17:56 PM »
This is a serious question guys.  Please give me a serious answer

Offline jone

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2015, 06:18:53 PM »
I gave a serious answer.
Kissing girls is a goodness.  It beats the hell out of card games.  - Robert Heinlein

Offline BillyB

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2015, 06:40:51 PM »

I wouldn't declare it. You need to declare gifts and you didn't buy it as a gift. It's your fiancée's clothing. If you got room in the bags, take more of her clothing and tell them you're in the process of moving her stuff to America.
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline KenInUtah

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2015, 06:43:27 PM »
Jone, I know you did.

Billy, that is exactly what I am doing anyway, bringing some of her clothing here to save on shipping and because its safer.  I called TransAero and they told me I SHOULD declare it just to be on the safe side but that they've never heard of a duty on clothing, even Minks

Offline LAman

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2015, 06:46:50 PM »
This is a serious question guys.  Please give me a serious answer

okay then:

You may bring your personal and household belongings duty-free as long as they were in your possession or household for one year or longer.

If you are a U.S. resident returning from a foreign country with goods acquired abroad in your possession after a stay of 48-hours or more, you may be eligible for a personal duty-free exemption. If you are returning from Mexico, the 48-hour rule does not apply. The personal exemption you are eligible for depends on the country you are returning from.

For instance, if you are returning from countries other than the Caribbean countries or U.S. insular possession you are entitled to an $800 duty-free exemption and the next $1,000 worth of the goods you purchased is subject to a flat rate of 3%. If the value exceeds $1,800, the remaining duty will be determined based on duty rates in the harmonized tariff schedule, which are generally between 0-10% (except for clothing and textiles, which can be much higher, up to 25%).

Offline LAman

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2015, 06:51:40 PM »
What is to stop someone from buying and bringing 'personal' type items into US and saying I am bringing them with me, it belongs to my future wife? It is all about value($)....and the value given to an item.

Offline BillyB

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2015, 07:40:11 PM »
Billy, that is exactly what I am doing anyway, bringing some of her clothing here to save on shipping and because its safer.  I called TransAero and they told me I SHOULD declare it just to be on the safe side but that they've never heard of a duty on clothing, even Minks

Is TransAero the only airline you're flying on? For every airline you're flying on your journey back, check the baggage fees for going over the limit. Each are allowed to charge you baggage fees. It can be $100+ for the first few bags and $200 per bag for going way over the limit. My MIL bought so many goods from America to take back home that she paid $500 for taking more bags than allowed.
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline KenInUtah

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2015, 07:50:07 PM »
Only 2 bags.  No worries on weight either.  Most of her stuff that she brings will be shipped but primarily a new wardrobe here.  Shes bringing valuables and heirlooms

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2015, 10:00:15 PM »
Ken, it is the valuables and heirlooms for which you need to be concerned, not so much for a fur coat that is popular in Russia.

The good news is that unless the fur coat belonged to the wife of a former Soviet leader, or hung in an exhibit in a museum, it is personal property and she has the right to send it with you. However, the advice to have a receipt, or written statement, is very wise. Were it me, I'd have her wait in the airport until your plane has clearly left the runway. You might be surprised at the number of items that are turned back. If she is there at the airport, then her chances of retaining the item are much better than were it necessary for her to appear later and have to undergo a very lengthy paperwork process with the strong possibility of the coat eventually finding a new home on the shoulders of some inspector's wife.

Now, regarding other items of real value: My wife is an artist, and taking her own paintings out of the country even for an exhibition to another country (which she does frequently), requires paperwork from the Ministry of Culture.

Anything of artistic value, an antique (over 50 years old), or something that may have belonged to a Russian church or historical artifact of any sort is strictly prohibited to export without government permission. We need to remember than the Russian idea of "personal and private property" is often at odds with our Western understanding of the same principles. Russian law enshrines the idea that pieces of history, art, and related artifacts of culture, history or religion belong to the Russian people as a whole, and not just the individual who created or purchased the item in question.

If she has other items of concern, there are more guidelines here: http://russianreport.wordpress.com/culture-art/antiques/

The Mendeleyev Journal. http://mendeleyevjournal.com Member: Congress of Russian Journalists; ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.RU (Journalist-Russia); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.UA (Journalist-Ukraine); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.KZ (Journalist-Kazakhstan); ПОРТАЛ ЖУРНАЛИСТОВ (Portal of RU-UA Journalists); Просто Журналисты ("Just Journalists").

Offline KenInUtah

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2015, 08:27:09 AM »
Mendy, How about Silver spoons?  Can those come here even if they are over 50 years old?

Offline BillyB

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2015, 08:48:08 AM »
Mendy, How about Silver spoons?  Can those come here even if they are over 50 years old?

The link that Mendy provided pretty much answers your question. He wrote "Russian law designates that any item over 50 years old is subject to antiquities evaluation. Failure to heed applicable laws could land anyone in some serious time in a Russian prison. Art and antiques are still considered to be things which legally belong intellectually to all the Russian people, and not just the property of an individual artist or craftsman."

You can claim they are not over 50 years old if stopped. FSU inspectors have only ask me to open one bag leaving the FSU out of about a dozen times I've been there. I had a heavy metal object in the bag and they called me to their baggage sorting room to open the lock. Make sure you get TSA approved locks for your bags. I once had a lock cut by American inspectors and when it got to Uzbekistan it was missing for a few days. When I was called to pick it up, some of the gifts I brought were missing.

Offline KenInUtah

« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2015, 08:59:53 AM »
Any idea where we get the evaluation?  She also has a 100 year old Shakespeare book

Offline Lily

« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2015, 09:19:16 AM »

When I immigrated, I think I posted something about exporting some of my personal belongings that were over 50 years old. They actually stayed in our family for many decades, therefore no store receipts would be even in question.

Yes you should get a permission for the silver spoons. Same procedure is for every personal belonging that would be over 50 years old, or something that might have any cultural value (paintings, etc). Therefore, Russia asks every thing that might be of a cultural significance to be submitted for an expertise prior to its export. You can research online for the contacts of the Ministry of Culture. I still have my export release letter but it was 5 years ago, the locations and hours might have changed since then.

Da, da, Canada; Nyet, nyet, Soviet!

Offline BillyB

« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2015, 09:47:08 AM »
Any idea where we get the evaluation?  She also has a 100 year old Shakespeare book

Didn't you say your fiancée is from Moscow? Mendy put the phone number and address of the Ministry of Culture of Moscow at the end of his article. Give this info to your fiancée so she can take care of it right away before your trip in a few weeks.

Offline KenInUtah

« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2015, 12:46:47 PM »
Perfect! Thanks everyone! You guys are awesome!

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2015, 02:39:45 AM »
Give this info to your fiancée so she can take care of it right away before your trip in a few weeks.

Good idea. The process actually begins prior to submitting the items for inspection. Your lady should submit two duplicate photos for each item along with a written description. The photos must be of an exact size, so have her call first. The photos, once stamped, will be taken with you to the airport. One will be submitted with the customs form, the other stays with you in transit in case you need it for American customs--that is usually unlikely. You will purchase special export stamps at a bank. The specific bank will be directed by the inspector.

It is at the very least a very long day if lucky, or two days normally, to complete the process. It includes filling out forms, submitting the item for physical inspection along with photos, and then returning for the evaluation and stamps. It is Russian red tape and stamping forms at its finest; nothing is done in a timely fashion.

The inspectors are well educated and experienced, so be honest. If you don't know, say so, because they will know if you are fudging. They have degrees in arts and antiquities. There is also a resident cultural inspector at the international airports too, and it is not in your best interest to try and slip something by.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 02:41:27 AM by mendeleyev »
The Mendeleyev Journal. http://mendeleyevjournal.com Member: Congress of Russian Journalists; ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.RU (Journalist-Russia); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.UA (Journalist-Ukraine); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.KZ (Journalist-Kazakhstan); ПОРТАЛ ЖУРНАЛИСТОВ (Portal of RU-UA Journalists); Просто Журналисты ("Just Journalists").

Offline Slman

« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2015, 10:00:02 AM »
hahaha. Ego status of Russian ladies. It is by default there status concious.

Offline jone

« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2015, 09:40:57 AM »
Just curious if anyone ever read the Martin Cruz Smith book, Gorky Park.  Am reminded of the efforts to smuggle Barguzin Sables out of the country to break the Soviet monopoly, by this thread.  Here we are talking about exporting a fur coat.  In that book, the efforts were to get live sables out. 

While they are only related by a tangent, the book was such a good read and reflective of the past Soviet society that I would recommend it to everyone possible.  I have yet to read the book Tatiana, released in 2013 by the same author.

Offline ML

« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2015, 08:03:26 PM »
Just curious if anyone ever read the Martin Cruz Smith book, Gorky Park.  Am reminded of the efforts to smuggle Barguzin Sables out of the country to break the Soviet monopoly, by this thread.  Here we are talking about exporting a fur coat.  In that book, the efforts were to get live sables out. 

While they are only related by a tangent, the book was such a good read and reflective of the past Soviet society that I would recommend it to everyone possible. 

I saw the movie.  Pretty good as I recall.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

lordtiberius

« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2015, 08:29:34 PM »
I heard that FSU fur coats are cheap Chinese knock offs.  Any truth to that?

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2015, 10:31:59 AM »
Enjoyable book!

Offline Boethius

• Trips: No Selection
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2015, 10:46:49 PM »

It's true in general in the fur industry.
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Online Faux Pas

• Trips: No Selection
« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2015, 01:08:20 PM »

Knock offs are everywhere. I can state this though with full confidence, a knock off would never fool my wife

lordtiberius

« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2015, 03:36:44 PM »
Knock offs are everywhere. I can state this though with full confidence, a knock off would never fool my wife

Touche!!!

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541019
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2385
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 9
Guests: 2202
Total: 2211

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 06:44:55 AM

Re: Arctic Blast hit hard in most areas of USA by 2tallbill
Today at 06:36:29 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 09:57:04 PM

Re: Plumber earnings by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 09:37:55 PM

Plumber earnings by ML
Yesterday at 07:49:26 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 07:23:34 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 06:28:48 PM

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by 2tallbill
Yesterday at 04:48:07 PM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Yesterday at 04:37:18 PM

If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by 2tallbill
Yesterday at 04:17:08 PM