It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: K-1 went to cr@p and he wants to send her packing is there any way she can stay?  (Read 24928 times)

Offline 2tallbill

• Living the dream
  • Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10

she should be glad to return to all that she sacrificed.

PS: Her actions don't match her words, so I wouldn't rush to make a judgement without hearing both side of this situation, regardless of how honest you think she is.

She never said any words on the forum. I summarized what I saw
as her situation.

FSUW are not for entry level daters
FSUW don't do vague
FSUW like a man of action. Be a man of action 
If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane.
There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up
Just kiss the girl, don't ask her first. Tolerate NO excuses!

Offline Misha

She entered into the K-1 in good faith and fully intended to marry
him and be happy ever after. She left a good job, her apartment,
her barely an adult son, friends and her entire life and family to
build a future with this man and it has fallen apart.

I can understand the job part, but her apartment as well as her son, her friends and her family should all still be there  :-X

Offline LAman

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: 4 - 10
A friend of mine (a woman) met a man in her home city. They spent
quite a bit of time getting to know each other
. They filed for a K-1
blah, blah, blah and she is now here in the USA on that visa.

Just curious, what is meant by quite a bit of time together? On only one trip? Days??
The more time spent with someone......the better you know them....but only if your eyes are
wide open!!!!
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift

Offline Jooky

She never said any words on the forum. I summarized what I saw
as her situation.

I meant her words to you.

I know your intentions are good, but sorry, the story you present here doesn't fit. You say she gave up a lot back home to be with this man. This is a rough time for her. It would make sense that she'd want to go back home where she will have the support of her friends and family... unless her primary motivation was a better life in the US.

Offline ECOCKS

• To those who deserve it, good luck.
  • Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: Resident

I know your intentions are good, but sorry, the story you present here doesn't fit. You say she gave up a lot back home to be with this man. This is a rough time for her. It would make sense that she'd want to go back home where she will have the support of her friends and family... unless her primary motivation was a better life in the US.

+1
Pick and choose carefully among the advice offered and consider the source carefully. PM, Skype or email if you care to chat or discuss

Offline Muzh

Let this be a shining example to all the FSUW who are contemplating marrying a man from the US.

Run Natasha Run
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead. Thomas Paine - The American Crisis 1776-1783

Offline OlgaH

• Trips: No Selection

+1

+2

Offline Steamer

Could this simply be a matter of adjustment disputes for both of them?
Life ain't nothing but a poker game
And no two hands are quite the same
But I never saw a winner that didn't bet

Offline ECOCKS

Could this simply be a matter of adjustment disputes for both of them?

Actually, it sounds to me like the K1 process did exactly what it was supposed to do, provide a "getting to know you" period in an attempt to avoid becoming more deeply involved in an unhappy relationship through legal and financial entanglements.

Now the woman can return to her home country and continue searching for a loving relationship with her soulmate. At least she has seen a new country, learned about the US paperwork and, hopefully, grown a little wiser in her search for love, happiness and self-fulfillment.

Congratulations mam, you should be happy it turned out this way since the alternative would have meant unhappiness and anguish. Keep looking for love!
Pick and choose carefully among the advice offered and consider the source carefully. PM, Skype or email if you care to chat or discuss

Offline GQBlues

• Trips: None (yet)
Actually, it sounds to me like the K1 process did exactly what it was supposed to do, provide a "getting to know you" period in an attempt to avoid becoming more deeply involved in an unhappy relationship through legal and financial entanglements.

Well, not exactly ECOCKS. That's not the intention of the 90-day period.

But the bottom line is, marriage didn't take place then really this means there's only one thing legally left to do. Either party have the right not to go through what they 'intended' on doing so they both need to do the right thing and just start over, if desired.
Quote from: msmob
1. Because of 'man', global warming is causing desert and arid areas to suffer long, dry spell.
2. The 2018 Camp Fire and Woolsey California wildfires are forests burning because of global warming.
3. N95 mask will choke you dead after 30 min. of use.

Offline GoodOlBoy

......the alternative would have meant unhappiness and anguish. Keep looking for love!

GOB agrees wholeheartedly!

It figures that if she has a "barely" adult son (18?), then she is probably in her late 30's.

She is still a young lady by most USA standards (except for a few members here that would consider her babuska material  :rolleyes2: ) , willing to relocate and relatively "unattached".

Maybe a good catch for some lucky guy.

GOB
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011, 12:12:43 PM by GoodOlBoy »
“For God and country, Geronimo, Geronimo, Geronimo......... Geronimo E.K.I.A.”

Offline BC

GOB agrees wholeheartedly!

It figures that if she has a "barely" adult son (18?), then she is probably in her late 30's.

She is still a relatively young lady by most USA standards (except for a few members here that would consider her babuska material  :rolleyes2: ) and relatively "unattached".

Maybe a good catch for some lucky guy.

GOB

Then why no K2?

In any case would be interesting to know who is supporting this woman financially... was she simply dropped on the next corner?

Of course the honorable thing to do is make sure she has a ticket home and enough funds for a few months to establish herself again.

My mother told me 'if you take something, put it back where it came from unless it's your worn underwear'.

Offline ECOCKS

Hmmm, well I think they put that 90 day period there for a reason. They could have required marriage prior to entering the United States or in a shorter period of time. So, TO ME, the period is to be sure each party knows what they are getting into, where they are moving to, the peculiarities of a new cultural environment and so on. 

Offline GoodOlBoy

Then why no K2?

Just a "guess".
Her Son is an adult, "barely" or not.
He may have decided that "the land of milk and honey" wasn't for him. ;)
Heck, GOB went into the Corps right after his 17th birthday (parents signature).

GOB
“For God and country, Geronimo, Geronimo, Geronimo......... Geronimo E.K.I.A.”

Offline BC

Hmmm, well I think they put that 90 day period there for a reason. They could have required marriage prior to entering the United States or in a shorter period of time. So, TO ME, the period is to be sure each party knows what they are getting into, where they are moving to, the peculiarities of a new cultural environment and so on.

As I understand it the 90 day window IS TO GET MARRIED and not to test the waters..... as in an already committed relationship vs the fabled 'trial or test period'

Misuse leads to abuse.....

Offline ECOCKS

You have your opinion, I (and others) have mine.

Offline BC

Heck, GOB went into the Corps right after his 17th birthday (parents signature).

GOB

Ooh-rah!

You guys used to chase skunks through the gullies at Redstone Arsenal.....  The other's (N,AF,A) bought beer, lawn chairs and watched the show.. LOL

Luckily we did not live in the same hut as the Corps.

Offline Boethius

You have your opinion, I (and others) have mine.

I think the K-1 visa was modeled on the Canadian fiance visa (which has since been abolished), and the initial reason for introducing it was to allow the fiance a little time to adjust to America.  If a fiance found he/she could not adjust to the U.S. and living without family, he/she could return.  This was due to experiences with the K-3. 

Initially, there was no requirement a K-1 applicant marry his/her American sponsor, likely because this was set up assuming the parties knew one another.  The requirement to marry one's sponsor was added to avoid fraud.

Ninety days is not much time to get to know someone.

After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Online Faux Pas

Included in the K-1 packet is an affidavit "Intent to Marry". The 90 days is only a deadline for that intended marriage and not IMHO and trial period. Of course anyone is free to see it as they see fit. I do not think the 90 days is defined anywhere other than the deadline to be married or returned

Offline BC

I think the K-1 visa was modeled on the Canadian fiance visa (which has since been abolished), and the initial reason for introducing it was to allow the fiance a little time to adjust to America.  If a fiance found he/she could not adjust to the U.S. and living without family, he/she could return.  This was due to experiences with the K-3. 

Initially, there was no requirement a K-1 applicant marry his/her American sponsor, likely because this was set up assuming the parties knew one another.  The requirement to marry one's sponsor was added to avoid fraud.

Ninety days is not much time to get to know someone.

IIRC and I certainly could be wrong, the K process is an offshoot of the War Brides Act, maybe a liberalization thereof to allow marriage in the US which the USC's family could attend.  Previously think it only allowed an easy immigration path for GI's already married overseas.

The provisions of the War Brides Act were extended and amended by the Alien Fiancées and Fiancés Act of 1946 and the Soldier Brides Acts of 1946 and 1947.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_Brides_Act

SUMMARY

The G.I. fiancée act was devised to expedite the entrance of foreign-born fiancées of members of the U.S Armed Forces that served in WWII. They were allowed to enter as a nonimmigrant temporary visitor for three months on a passport visa, but were required to provide proof of a valid marriage within that time frame. If they were not married with in the three months, then they had to leave or else face deportation. Prospective U.S. citizen spouses had to provide a bond to the Commissioner of Immigration to cover the alien’s deportation fees should the need arise. With sufficient proof of a valid marriage the bond was cancelled, other wise the money was forfeited and the alien was deported.

http://library.uwb.edu/guides/USimmigration/1946_alien_fiancees_and_fiances_act.html

Offline ECOCKS

Included in the K-1 packet is an affidavit "Intent to Marry". The 90 days is only a deadline for that intended marriage and not IMHO and trial period. Of course anyone is free to see it as they see fit. I do not think the 90 days is defined anywhere other than the deadline to be married or returned

Ok, I'll back oars a bit and concede overstatement.

Actually, it sounds to me like the K1 process did exactly what it was supposed to do [from the woman's perspective, IMO], provide a "getting to know you" period in an attempt to avoid becoming more deeply involved in an unhappy relationship[/lifestyle] through [cultural,] legal and financial entanglements.

Yes, FP is 100% correct that, in theory, the relationship should be established beyond doubt to the CO's in the originating country. Still, the law could have required marriage before entry or in a shorter (or even longer) period of time. Simply, from what is said, the couple in question fell apart prior to the event. Isn't this a relief?

In fact, since we're going to approach this from a legalistic angle (rather than the rescue fair damsel in distress perspective) it is required that she return to her home country and continue her search for...well, whatever she was searching for.

While I most emphatically do not regard the 90 days as a "trial period" for the citizen spouse, it is handy for those spouses who have never been to the country which will be their new home and have only had their fiance's descriptions as to what they will encounter in terms of lifestyle and "culture".

Get married on your first day ashore in the new world or use it to get to know your intended and your new environment better, to each their own.

Offline Boethius

Thanks, BC.

Ah, I understand what you're saying now, Ed.  I agree with you, de facto, the K-1 is indeed used as a "getting to know you" period, even if that is not its intent.
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline BC

Yes, FP is 100% correct that, in theory, the relationship should be established beyond doubt to the CO's in the originating country. Still, the law could have required marriage before entry or in a shorter (or even longer) period of time.

Isn't that the challenge Canadian citizens now face? IIRC something like a 1 year period?

I think the K-1 visa was modeled on the Canadian fiance visa (which has since been abolished).....

Maybe Boethius can illuminate the reasons Canada abolished their version of the K1..

Online Faux Pas

While I most emphatically do not regard the 90 days as a "trial period" for the citizen spouse, it is handy for those spouses who have never been to the country which will be their new home and have only had their fiance's descriptions as to what they will encounter in terms of lifestyle and "culture".

Get married on your first day ashore in the new world or use it to get to know your intended and your new environment better, to each their own.

Me  either and I don't "think", although I do not know for certain that it wasn't intended as a trial "get to know each other period". This is just my opinion on having been through one K-1. There was no reference anywhere to my recollection of a trial period. The K-1 works under the assumption that you will be married.

I'm not saving any pity for this damsel in distress. It's the effin she got for the effin she gave. She is as much at fault as the loser that invited her over. But let's not skim over the fact that there are many both men and women in this pursuit that are willing to gamble much more than they should and sometimes, they lose.

Offline BillyB

What can she do ?
What options does she have?
What can be done to help her?

I dated a tourist visa RW who overstayed her visa and got permanent legal status after she got an immigration attorney and claimed her husband in Russia is physically abusive.
I dated another tourist visa RW who overstayed her visa but applied for and received an extension. She later applied for legal status and got it.
I dated another tourist visa RW who applied for asylum and got it since she was from one of the smaller FSU nations with a radical government.
I dated a RW who did a k-1 with a RM living here in the states married him and they divorced before the standard 2 years are required to stay married for her to get legal status. She got legal status anyway and never claimed abuse.

The RW in question may apply for a U visa which she can get if she is mentally abused and she doesn't have to have been married to an American and her abuser doesn't even have to be a citizen or of legal status.
http://www.immigrantjustice.org/federal-rules-offer-protection-immigrant-victims-violence

Considering she will have hardship if she returns home to nothing since she doesn't have a home and job, I'm sure some immigration attorney can help her. There are always ways of getting around things. The RW will be eligible for social programs at taxpayers expense. I just hope you're helping a person who's worth it.

Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8884
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541387
Total Topics: 20862
Most Online Today: 3932
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 10
Guests: 2814
Total: 2824

+-Recent Posts

Re: The Struggle For Ukraine by krimster2
Today at 07:36:35 AM

Re: Navigating the longest story ever told by Stirlitz
Today at 02:18:56 AM

Re: The Struggle For Ukraine - Senate just passed the Bill! by Stirlitz
Today at 02:12:24 AM

Re: The Struggle For Ukraine - Senate just passed the Bill! by Trenchcoat
Today at 01:56:55 AM

Re: The Struggle For Ukraine - Senate just passed the Bill! by krimster2
Yesterday at 07:07:31 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 11:31:49 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Manny
Yesterday at 11:07:15 AM

Re: international travel by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:50:04 AM

Re: international travel by 2tallbill
Yesterday at 08:20:37 AM

Re: Trippin........... by 2tallbill
Yesterday at 08:06:00 AM