It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Dutch Court seizes assets re Yukos shareholders claim  (Read 1309 times)

Offline msmob

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
Dutch Court seizes assets re Yukos shareholders claim
« on: May 19, 2020, 03:26:08 AM »
http://meduza.io/en/news/2020/05/18/dutch-court-seizes-local-rights-to-stolichnaya-and-moskovskaya-vodkas-to-repay-russia-s-debt-to-former-yukos-shareholders

Dutch court seizes local rights to ‘Stolichnaya’ and ‘Moskovskaya’ vodkas to repay Russia’s debt to former Yukos shareholders

I wonder what Dutch firm ( that has done nothing wrong )will suffer for this action ... ?

Offline Shadow

Re: Dutch Court seizes assets re Yukos shareholders claim
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2020, 08:07:11 AM »
Both brands were already pretty hard to find, only some specialty stores carried it. And those who want the original can still cross the border to Germany (though carefully currently) to buy them half price.
No it is not a dog. Its really how I look.  ;)

Offline Boethius

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: No Selection
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2020, 09:41:17 AM »
I disagree with this decision.  A bunch of oligarch thugs who eliminated their competition, and refused to pay taxes, had their assets taken back by the Russian state.  In my view, that's just.  Courts should be applying the clean hands doctrine, although I know it doesn't apply in civil law jurisdictions.

This post was composed without the aid of google.
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline msmob

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2020, 11:34:19 AM »
Boethius,

I doubt that MK acquired his wealth in the Yukos group by being angelic .

The charges and evidence were found to be politicised in a Arbitration Court that the Kremlin had agreed to be bound by and then ..when they lost.. made any confiscation of assets to be 'rewarded' with a counter seizure in Russia .. for which there is no legal merit .. just the reaction of petulance

Offline Boethius

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: No Selection
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2020, 12:36:02 PM »
The Russian government did not ratify the treaty under which the arbitration proceeded.  Furthermore, the intention of the treaty at issue is to protect international investors, not domestic shareholders.  For these thugs to use Western courts is a travesty of justice.

After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline Shadow

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2020, 01:14:04 PM »
The Russian government did not ratify the treaty under which the arbitration proceeded.  Furthermore, the intention of the treaty at issue is to protect international investors, not domestic shareholders.  For these thugs to use Western courts is a travesty of justice.

Note that they used the Dutch court system, as there *may* be some bias at work.  While in general the Dutch courts are reliable and impartial. in cases like this where it seems very much a 50/50 decision, the personal prefernc of the judges might play a role.
No it is not a dog. Its really how I look.  ;)

Offline msmob

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2020, 10:40:45 PM »

Hmm,

Let's deal with some of the cases, one at a time .. Are you saying the ECHR had no 'right' to rule on the cases brought before it, despite the RF losing an appeal against the award made to the Shareholders who were successful in being allowed to bring a case?   

"Russia failed to strike a "fair balance" in its treatment of Yukos Oil Company."   The award was 'only' 1.87 Billion Euro - not the c.38 Billion sought ( plus the RF was instructed to pay costs of 300,000 Euro)

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8884
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541277
Total Topics: 20859
Most Online Today: 2190
Most Online Ever: 12701