It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Transferring a college degree from another country to the US  (Read 3396 times)

Offline matthew20

• Spouse's Country: Belarus
  • Trips: 1 - 3
Transferring a college degree from another country to the US
« on: April 22, 2014, 05:16:45 PM »
I would appreciate any insight/information pertaining to transferring credits/a college degree from Belarus to the US. My fiancee is very intelligent and speaks very good English. I want her to have an opportunity at a successful and satisfying career that she deserves.

Offline ML

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: > 10
Re: Transferring a college degree from another country to the US
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2014, 05:30:14 PM »
Here are the organizations that evaluate foreign degrees.

The trick is that different ones will give different evaluations, AND importantly, individual universities and employers will only accept evaluations done by preferred (by them) organizations.

So an efficient method would be to give some thought to where she might want to go to schools in USA or seek employment; and then use the appropriate evaluation organization.

http://www.ccsf.edu/~humanres/forms/fdevinfo.pdf

I think two of the largest are as shown below; but others may have better info on this.

www.wes.org

www.ece.org
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 05:33:12 PM by ML »
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline matthew20

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2014, 05:46:00 PM »
Thanks for the reply. I'll look into the websites you sent me.

Offline BillyB

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2014, 06:06:56 PM »

Matthew, go to your local colleges and speak with an admissions counselor. I don't know about where you live but where I live there are a lot of immigrants and they counselors deal with people just like your gal and they should be able to tell you what will and will not transfer to their college from international colleges.
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Online Faux Pas

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: No Selection
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2014, 09:53:24 PM »
Credits from a FSU university without a degree likely won't get much credence but, if she has a degree or degrees, they can be evaluated and established. Check out ML's links. Different U.S. universities have different requirements as far as evaluations go.

Offline matthew20

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2014, 10:47:22 PM »
Thanks for the replies. Appreciate your insight.

Offline GQBlues

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2014, 11:20:50 PM »
I would appreciate any insight/information pertaining to transferring credits/a college degree from Belarus to the US. My fiancee is very intelligent and speaks very good English. I want her to have an opportunity at a successful and satisfying career that she deserves.

Before you waste your money researching for companies to evaluate your gal's transcript and credentials, allow me to suggest (based on our experience) to consult appropriate Universities (public/private - based on her plans) if they do this within their institution.

My wife found out that every state university in California have their own, and prefer their own, evaluation department over any service companies. The State University she attended, and graduated from, did their own evaluation prior to her admittance to the school - for free. The evaluation we paid for prior went out the window.
Quote from: msmob
1. Because of 'man', global warming is causing desert and arid areas to suffer long, dry spell.
2. The 2018 Camp Fire and Woolsey California wildfires are forests burning because of global warming.
3. N95 mask will choke you dead after 30 min. of use.

Offline Muzh

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2014, 08:14:13 AM »
Before you waste your money researching for companies to evaluate your gal's transcript and credentials, allow me to suggest (based on our experience) to consult appropriate Universities (public/private - based on her plans) if they do this within their institution.

My wife found out that every state university in California have their own, and prefer their own, evaluation department over any service companies. The State University she attended, and graduated from, did their own evaluation prior to her admittance to the school - for free. The evaluation we paid for prior went out the window.

Excellent point.

However, I should mention that in NYS she will be asked to deal with www.wes.org

To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead. Thomas Paine - The American Crisis 1776-1783

Offline matthew20

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2014, 05:14:17 PM »
Good points. Thank you.

Offline ML

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2014, 05:22:09 PM »

And to 'one up' this (with respect to not paying fees), my Ochka never had her Ukrainian diploma evaluated at all, and yet was admitted to masters program at a flagship state university in USA and will graduate at the end of this spring semester.

She started out in Intensive English Program, sat in on some math courses just to hear some more English, took the exams which the professors graded as a courtesy, and did so well she was offered admittance to masters program with full scholarship and graduate teaching assistantship.

Not the standard situation of course, so not to be counted on.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 05:23:53 PM by ML »
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Online Faux Pas

• Trips: No Selection
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2014, 06:05:10 PM »
And to 'one up' this (with respect to not paying fees), my Ochka never had her Ukrainian diploma evaluated at all, and yet was admitted to masters program at a flagship state university in USA and will graduate at the end of this spring semester.

She started out in Intensive English Program, sat in on some math courses just to hear some more English, took the exams which the professors graded as a courtesy, and did so well she was offered admittance to masters program with full scholarship and graduate teaching assistantship.

Not the standard situation of course, so not to be counted on.

Certainly you can prove it? Seems plausible any documented alien just walks on campus to listen to English and gets offered such a package without any evaluation  :rolleyes:

Offline Muzh

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2014, 07:03:50 AM »
Certainly you can prove it? Seems plausible any documented alien just walks on campus to listen to English and gets offered such a package without any evaluation  :rolleyes:

Throw in my two  :rolleyes:   :rolleyes:
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead. Thomas Paine - The American Crisis 1776-1783

Offline matthew20

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2014, 03:00:01 PM »
These are all good things to look into. Thanks for the help.

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 540997
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 1994
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 10
Guests: 1985
Total: 1995

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:20:42 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 09:12:54 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:02:12 PM

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 08:45:42 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 07:59:27 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 07:04:53 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 06:59:45 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 06:57:42 PM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 06:36:52 PM

Re: Twenty Years... and Counting (MarkInTx Update) by supranatural
Yesterday at 03:02:29 PM