It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Нижний Новгород, Россия.  (Read 4902 times)

Offline rwoo1983

Нижний Новгород, Россия.
« on: February 28, 2010, 08:05:19 PM »
I am planning on visiting Nizhny Novogrod in December. I'm pretty excited about this! Does anybody here been there before?

Skyscrapercity.com has a nice photo thread dedicated to this beautiful Russian city. Check it out:
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1035453
Deep down, I've been called into greatness. If not, who?

Offline Vaughn

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: No Selection
Re: Нижний Новгород, Россия.
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2010, 08:17:26 PM »
It is a great city - at least in August...

Spent a few days outside of town in a dacha - from where we made our way by car into the
Kremlin area. Strolled down Bolshaya Pokrovskaya where in warm weather, the sidewalks are
lined with vendors - who expect you to haggle, and we did...

The staircase from the Kremlin down to the riverfront is not to be missed. Incredibly wide.

Very overlooked destination among members of this arena. Ladies everywhere, too.

Offline Mars

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2010, 10:03:49 AM »
Yes, I've always wondered why this city is not visited more.  It is the 3rd largest city in Russia (I think), yet we hear much more about people visiting other Russian cities which are smaller . . . but virtually nothing about this city.

Anyone know why?  Ugly women, military town full of guys, radiation dangers; or what??
Mars man looking for Venus woman.

Offline UTRO

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2010, 01:13:35 PM »
I agree with Vaughn.
NN is indeed a beautiful city and isn't at all off the beaten path. Wish I could spell it, let alone pronounce it! I was there in April 08'.
Very cool Kremlin with a neat quirky little cafe built out of a prison cell section. The embankment above the Oka River is breathtaking, as are the sunsets. Bolshaya Pokrovskaya is a very trendy pedestrian street with a cool Soviet Pub that you must visit :)
However, one of the first places I visited was McDonalds.... Svetlana insisted :( lol :) Why won't they build a McD's in her city of 600,000?!?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 01:15:55 PM by UTRO »

Offline ulughbek

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2010, 09:02:04 PM »
Lufthansa flies direct from Frankfurt.  Women are not ugly.  Radiation levels manageable.

Offline rwoo1983

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2010, 09:13:57 PM »
What is the cheapest time to fly? If so, what airline offers the best deal?
Deep down, I've been called into greatness. If not, who?

Offline ulughbek

« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2010, 03:21:37 PM »
Newark NJ - Frankfurt - Nizhny was $1050 last August.  Fares fluctuate up and down a lot.  You just have to keep scanning for the best deals.  Aeroflot through Moscow would probably be a little cheaper than that, but not worth the hassle, at least in my opinion.  It would also be cheaper outside of summer, but again maybe not by enough to be worth it.  It was pretty cool there even in August.

Offline Markus

• Opted-Out
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2010, 06:25:52 AM »
What is the cheapest time to fly? If so, what airline offers the best deal?

I found a flight to Nizhniy Novgorod, RU for $1292 on www.farecompare.com, but that is from where I live. Go on this site and just start plugging in dates and check the fares.
I've found that March/April/Sept/Oct seem to be lower demand months for flights to Europe. Fly when kids are in school. On this site are the following comments:

Generally, the cheapest day of the week is Wednesday. After Wednesday, the cheapest days to book departures/arrivals are Tuesday and Saturday. Airlines often file cheaper airfares that are only good on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Saturdays.

In reference to the size of NN, Vaughn and I had this discussion the other day and verified that Ekaterinburg is the 3rd largest city in Russia, but NN was very close in size. Ekaterinburg is
is another city that's not traveled to very often.

« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 06:28:29 AM by Markus »

Offline boaterguy

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2010, 06:57:51 AM »
I found a flight to Nizhniy Novgorod, RU for $1292 on www.farecompare.com, but that is from where I live. Go on this site and just start plugging in dates and check the fares.
I've found that March/April/Sept/Oct seem to be lower demand months for flights to Europe. Fly when kids are in school. On this site are the following comments:

Generally, the cheapest day of the week is Wednesday. After Wednesday, the cheapest days to book departures/arrivals are Tuesday and Saturday. Airlines often file cheaper airfares that are only good on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Saturdays.

In reference to the size of NN, Vaughn and I had this discussion the other day and verified that Ekaterinburg is the 3rd largest city in Russia, but NN was very close in size. Ekaterinburg is
is another city that's not traveled to very often.

Hate to bust ya'lls bubble but Novosibirsk is the 3rd largest city in Russia! :D

Offline Markus

• Opted-Out
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2010, 07:33:50 AM »
Hate to bust ya'lls bubble but Novosibirsk is the 3rd largest city in Russia! :D

Busted. Can I blame it on Vaughn? Now I'm going to have to tell my wife her city (Ekaterinburg) isn't the 3rd largest city. And she's going to ask me how I know and
then that's when I blame boaterguy.

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 540999
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 11
Guests: 1947
Total: 1958

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 07:00:25 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Brillynt
Today at 06:16:36 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:20:42 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 09:12:54 PM

Yesterday at 09:02:12 PM

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 08:45:42 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 07:59:27 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 07:04:53 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 06:59:45 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 06:57:42 PM