It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Where are all the old timers? Its time to check in.  (Read 18322 times)

Offline GregfromGa

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: > 10
Where are all the old timers? Its time to check in.
« on: August 30, 2018, 04:04:26 AM »
I haven't been here in a while. I'm guessing the advice given here is still free.

Offline ML

Re: Where are all the old timers? Its time to check in.
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2018, 07:14:34 AM »
I haven't been here in a while. I'm guessing the advice given here is still free.

No . . . you must send me money via PayPal if you want the good stuff.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline BillyB

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2018, 08:33:42 AM »

Some guys check in. Others have checked out. We lost Groovlstk a few months ago to cancer.

http://www.russianwomendiscussion.com/index.php?topic=22849.0
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline Jumper

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2018, 05:31:57 PM »
Hi Greg,

I'm still around as time permits.

Offline tfcrew

• North Texas... Married 21 years
  • Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2018, 12:21:56 PM »

OLD?

~There is no one more blind than those who refuse to see and none more deaf as those who will not listen~
~Think about the intelligence of the average person and then realize that half of the people are even more stupid than that~

Offline BC

• Spouse's Country: Russia
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2018, 01:22:14 PM »
Coming up on 16.  Will stick around maybe till Nov to poke a stick in some folks eyes ;)

Offline HiTech

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2018, 02:50:48 PM »
Coming up our our 10th anniversary. I still check in every-once in a while.
Deans 3rd birthday this August 5.  Alyona made the cake. All is edible.
HiTech
If you like aviation check out http://www.flyaceshigh.com

Offline GregfromGa

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2018, 04:51:14 PM »
What about Gator?  We went out to a nice Cuban dinner once in Tampa about 10 years ago. I hated hearing that about Groovistk passing. Such a terrible disease. I've lost 2 close friends the past two years to it. Its hard to believe I was here about 15 years ago. My how things change. I'm still so good looking and of course my kids are growing up way way too fast. Maya is 11 now and Nicholas is 8. Maya looks and acts like her mother and of course Nicholas is wrestling and playing football and being all boy. Looking back I honestly don't know what I could've done differently. I harbor few regrets because of my kids. I wish I could come here and tell you all is smooth. It varies. Like John Denver said "some days are diamonds and some days are stone. Ive watched a sweet innocent girl from a village become a miserable soul exactly like her mother the last 8 years. I honestly cant say I recommend this endeavor. Sure it works out sometimes according to statistics. I'm still friends with a doctor I almost went to see in Saransk back in 2001. She's divorced now. No way in hell would I pull that trigger because thats exactly what it would be.

Offline ML

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2018, 06:37:21 PM »
I've watched a sweet innocent girl from a village become a miserable soul exactly like her mother the last 8 years.

WOW . . . sorry to hear that !!
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline CaptB

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2018, 09:18:56 PM »
Hey Greg,

Capt B here. I don't believe its a woman from Russia, Ukraine or here....in the states thats really the issue. I went to Russia my first time with a friend. He zeroed in on one women in particular......from the get go. Everyone in the LTP office said there were a few other women who who really like him......and I think that he would be interested in them....also........BUT..... he felt he had to remain loyal to the first gal that he met. I told him, one day, that compared to me....he was at a disadvantage. What do mean....he replied. You have never been married before....I said. An old friend of mine...JB...a member of this forum years ago said...."this venture is not for everyone.....this is the master-class.....your "BA degree" was being married....then divorced....at least one. I believe it is true....to a degree. The friend I went with on my first trip to Russia.....is now divorced. It was no surprise to me. I saw nits and pieces of her "unpleasant side"...even when we were in Russia...before they married. He is now gun-shy about trying again. It is unfortunate. He is a really great guy.

I dated a few women in Russia for an extended period of time. Eventually I broke this off....when I decided they were not right for me....as marriage material. You see....I actually learned from the mistakes of my first marriage. Some folks never do. I think my fiend has...I wish he would give it another shot. Yes dating/marrying someone from another country can be more difficult. You have all of the regular +/- issues of a regular relationship......then add language and cultural differences to the mix. I walked away from a stunningly beautiful women in Tver, Russia...because I realized she was not into me....to the same degree I was into her. She was not interested in learning English....even when I paid for lessons...and gave her a cassette course. It was hard to walk away....but I knew it was the right thing to do. There were a few others....with similar issues.

The day I met my wife....it was different. I arrived at her local airport at about midnight.....and her standing with a card with my name on it....in that goofy little leather hat. About a 20 minute drive to my apartment....with no lulls in conversation. We stayed-up all night talking. in less than 24 hours I knew.....this girl was different. She really cared about her family, friends....and others.....and still does. Fifteen years of marriage later....and things are still very good. I had it a little easier than many folks here.....she was an English teacher for 15 years when we met. That mostly (not completely) eliminated one of the two hurdles to this endeavor (language barrier).

JayH made a comment in another thread about watching out for antiquated (paraphrase) "advice". I believe some good advice is timeless. Yes...its different today......different problems.....different technology....the cultures have changed......yada yada yada....... Some things will never change. You still have to decide if the person you are interested in....is as interested in....YOU.  It is wise to get to know her relatives and friends....to see how .....THEY REGARD HER. If she will only meet you somewhere other than her hometown....they may be a hidden reason. The "10 commandments
of FSU dating are still relevant.....but still broken.....then the guy blames everybody and/or everyone.....for why things went South. Common sense never goes out of date.

19 years ago computers were common. No one was writing real (paper) letters anymore.....or using envelopes and stamps. I was told bt the RWG forum that I was crazy to write....then mail.....old-fashioned letters. But I wrote 16 brief....two short paragraph letters. I did this about 6 or 7 weeks before my trip. I received 14 replies......about 8 or nine handwritten.......the rest by e-mail. One had been matched....but they had not yet removed her profile. The 16th RW had been away for part of the summer for an internship.....just finishing law school. She called the office about 3 days before my departure. I bet a lot of guys here will say such a thing will not work...THESE DAYS. I will not tell you why it would still work...that is for you to figure out. Hint: "everyone else is doing the "same" thing"

Yes I ......agree......many things are "different"....today. But some things will always be relevant.

Oh............Hey greg.......glad to see you are still kicking. A few of us geezers are still here.......but slowly thinning. I only visit here occasionally now.
JB is still alive......but has not been here for years.

Marc  (Capt B)

"A Yooper in Moscovia"

Offline JayH

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2018, 11:45:51 PM »

The day I met my wife....it was different. I arrived at her local airport at about midnight.....and her standing with a card with my name on it....in that goofy little leather hat. About a 20 minute drive to my apartment....with no lulls in conversation. We stayed-up all night talking. in less than 24 hours I knew.....this girl was different. She really cared about her family, friends....and others.....and still does. Fifteen years of marriage later....and things are still very good. I had it a little easier than many folks here.....she was an English teacher for 15 years when we met. That mostly (not completely) eliminated one of the two hurdles to this endeavor (language barrier).

JayH made a comment in another thread about watching out for antiquated (paraphrase) "advice". I believe some good advice is timeless. Yes...its different today......different problems.....different technology....the cultures have changed......yada yada yada....... Some things will never change. You still have to decide if the person you are interested in....is as interested in....YOU.  It is wise to get to know her relatives and friends....to see how .....THEY REGARD HER. If she will only meet you somewhere other than her hometown....they may be a hidden reason. The "10 commandments
of FSU dating are still relevant.....but still broken.....then the guy blames everybody and/or everyone.....for why things went South. Common sense never goes out of date.

Marc  (Capt B)

Marc --  love your post.
My comments were not about relationships per se -I agree that experience is timeless.
The part I was referencing in that comment was on specifics  eg huge huge difference in communication from even 5 years ago -- but dramatic fro 10 . The easy immediate access to the internet is near enough universal -- that changed a lot of things . One frequent poster repeatedly proffered advice about one city that has seen substantial change -- and despite the flaw being pointed out numerous times ( not by me) he kept doing it !
Probably the biggest difference is in the web sites and how to make contacts etc
You get my point  !
Now --please note -this is not directed at you personally  in any way ! Guys who were there in the decade after to collapse of the USSR  and the various following economic crisis had it easy -- girls did need to escape  and try and find a better life so the economic issue was much greater than it is today --it is what gave rise to the whole MOB industry.

I particularly enjoyed reading this !

The day I met my wife....it was different. I arrived at her local airport at about midnight.....and her standing with a card with my name on it....in that goofy little leather hat. About a 20 minute drive to my apartment....with no lulls in conversation. We stayed-up all night talking. in less than 24 hours I knew.....this girl was different. She really cared about her family, friends....and others.....and still does. Fifteen years of marriage later....and things are still very good. I had it a little easier than many folks here.....she was an English teacher for 15 years when we met. That mostly (not completely) eliminated one of the two hurdles to this endeavor (language barrier)

That is a lovely meeting!

I look back at my first meeting with my current lady over 3 years  ago  !  I had been on a long trip where I had finally made the break with my long term( much longer than many marriages !!) Ukrainian ex and finalised many loose ends -- with both my head and heart now being in unison - I was ready to move on .
During the 2 months I caught up with many old friends and made some new ones . Met quite a few girls but was not ready for serious.
On my way back to Kyiv I was staying in a city that is easy drive to the airport on my last day. So- I get online -first profile I look at -is from that city - so I say Hi. As it happened - she was in Kyiv ! Cutting a long story short -- we arrange to meet the next day at the airport ( which is on her way home).
So -- come leaving day - I am in terminal doing all the organising   needed  -- I look up to see this most exquisite creature walking towards me with a wonderful smile  -- I was blown away ! I half thought she would not show up -- but her photos did not do her justice--  far more beautiful and way better  looking in real life .
We talked non stop with lot's of laughing and smiling to the point where I HAD to go to catch my flight.
I could not arrange my next trip fast enough !!

SLAVA UKRAYINI  ! HEROYAM SLAVA!!!!
Слава Украине! Слава героям слава!Слава Україні! Слава героям!
 translated as: Glory to Ukraine! Glory to the heroes!!!  is a Ukrainian greeting slogan being used now all over Ukraine to signify support for a free independent Ukraine

Offline GQBlues

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2018, 09:26:58 AM »
...Yes I ......agree......many things are "different"....today. But some things will always be relevant....

That pretty much sums it up for me, too. Considering all the tools/components available today that weren't available even a few years ago (skype, social media, availability of home computers, whatsapp, etc..), I'd say the fish barrel today is likely far more stocked and much more accessible than it ever was.

Bottom line is, this had always and largely depended on the fisherman. Just as it had always been since time immemorial. The ease/difficulty in dating, here or anywhere, had always been about 'you'. It doesn't matter whether it was back in the ice age, '50s or the 22nd century. I never understood why a lot of these men make simple things unnecessarily complicated.

BTW - next time you see jb, give him my regards. He'll probably remember me as 'Matt3' / Bodine from RWG.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 09:44:56 AM by GQBlues »
Quote from: msmob
1. Because of 'man', global warming is causing desert and arid areas to suffer long, dry spell.
2. The 2018 Camp Fire and Woolsey California wildfires are forests burning because of global warming.
3. N95 mask will choke you dead after 30 min. of use.

Offline CaptB

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2018, 12:49:02 PM »
GQ,

I remember you as....."Bodine" on RWG. Time flies. JB & wife "I" are still alive and well........I think they even have a few grand kids n/'/ow.

Capt B
"A Yooper in Moscovia"

Offline GQBlues

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2018, 01:00:57 PM »
GQ,

I remember you as....."Bodine" on RWG. Time flies. JB & wife "I" are still alive and well........I think they even have a few grand kids n/'/ow.

Capt B

Awesome. Let jb know his advice to me when I was still in the 'search mode' is as golden then as it is today. Best advice ever given to me. Despite the fact I am still happily married with my wife, I had come to know the wisdom of his words.
Quote from: msmob
1. Because of 'man', global warming is causing desert and arid areas to suffer long, dry spell.
2. The 2018 Camp Fire and Woolsey California wildfires are forests burning because of global warming.
3. N95 mask will choke you dead after 30 min. of use.

Offline Stirlitz

• Commercial Member
  • Helping People Understand Each Other
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2018, 04:52:41 PM »

Old timers you mean cars from the 1950s? :D

Igor Kalinin
Ukraine Guide Interpreter

Offline TwoBitBandit

« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2018, 04:30:16 AM »
Believe it or not, I'm still out here somewhere.
I can't believe it's been eight years since I wrote this trip report:
http://www.russianwomendiscussion.com/index.php?topic=11863.0

Time flies!
It's still the fourth-most viewed trip report on this forum.

I'm keeping a low profile about what I'm doing in life for my own reasons.  I'm trying not to attract undue attention to myself.  But I'm fine.  I still read the threads here once in awhile.  It sure seems like there is a lot more about politics than about relationships and Russian women.  Good to see a lot of the names I recognize are still active.

Offline BdHvA

• Trips: No Selection
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2018, 06:56:30 PM »

Cool!  ;)

Can you post an image of a Freddy Flintstone type vehicle in your collection?

Experierence is not what happens to you. It is what you do with what happens to you. A. Huxley

Offline Lee08

• Natasha and I in Toronto, Canada
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2018, 04:43:43 PM »
I have not been on here for a long time, just happened to see it in my bookmarks looking for something else.

We're coming up on our 10 year anniversary also. :clapping:

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2018, 01:00:25 PM »
Here off and on. I like being here and the members, it is just the schedule and some security concerns due to leaving Russia and migrating to Ukraine. Too many dead or missing journalists who don't sing the Kremlin's tune.

A handful of increasingly serious threats, detained temporarily when returning to Moscow from Amsterdam in 2015 over the MH17 debacle, and the requirement to register as a "foreign agent" because I work in non-Russian media were the last straws.

Speaking of old cars......found in the mountains above Sochi.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2018, 01:04:49 PM by mendeleyev »
The Mendeleyev Journal. http://mendeleyevjournal.com Member: Congress of Russian Journalists; ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.RU (Journalist-Russia); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.UA (Journalist-Ukraine); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.KZ (Journalist-Kazakhstan); ПОРТАЛ ЖУРНАЛИСТОВ (Portal of RU-UA Journalists); Просто Журналисты ("Just Journalists").

Offline rlaudiajr

• Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2018, 08:53:04 PM »
Wow great posts from all. I thought I was the only one left who originally wrote postal letters! I remember meeting some of the guys and wives on this site for breakfast in Miami mid 2000's. Can't remember the names. Best wishes to all old timers

Offline Muckraker

« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2018, 04:51:33 AM »
Muckraker checking in. Haven’t been reading the board lately, but life with Oxana just gets better and better. Decided to move away from America, did some traveling and now in Vladivostok. Will stay for a year or so and then settle in London. Fourth child due in  June. Yeah I know but what the hell. Other kids are doing great, ages 12, 10 and 8 right now. Had to bring the damn dog around the world with us too.  We will be celebrating our fifteenth wedding anniversary in January. Oxana I mean, not the damn dog.

I will post my GoFundMe details as a sticky.

Regards,

Muck

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #21 on: November 10, 2018, 06:30:07 AM »
A premature congratulations on your fifteenth Muckraker! Quite a family you got there!

Offline Jumper

« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2018, 09:37:57 PM »
Muckraker checking in. Haven’t been reading the board lately, but life with Oxana just gets better and better. Decided to move away from America, did some traveling and now in Vladivostok. Will stay for a year or so and then settle in London. Fourth child due in  June. Yeah I know but what the hell. Other kids are doing great, ages 12, 10 and 8 right now. Had to bring the damn dog around the world with us too.  We will be celebrating our fifteenth wedding anniversary in January. Oxana I mean, not the damn dog.

I will post my GoFundMe details as a sticky.

Regards,

Muck

Hey Muck,
Congrats on the expanding family,  and it's really nice to hear an update from you.

Offline rkn777

« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2018, 05:29:41 PM »

Nice to see you Stirliz!  I'm still around. Moved to Las Vegas a few years back.  All going well here.

Had an infamous time in Vinnitsa, , but now happily married to a Chinese woman.

Offline Lily

« Reply #24 on: December 27, 2018, 07:05:44 AM »
One more here. Full steam ahead in sports!

Skating in the US often. Soon going to Miami for a skate with my US friends!

Da, da, Canada; Nyet, nyet, Soviet!

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541004
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 11
Guests: 1876
Total: 1887

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 11:16:08 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by ML
Today at 10:31:43 AM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 09:47:10 AM

What to do by 2tallbill
Today at 09:37:41 AM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by 2tallbill
Today at 09:18:17 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 07:00:25 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Brillynt
Today at 06:16:36 AM

Yesterday at 09:20:42 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 09:12:54 PM

Yesterday at 09:02:12 PM