It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Trip report from a yacht  (Read 27767 times)

Offline msmobyone

• patriotism is the last vestige of fools, but hey
  • Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
Trip report from a yacht
« on: July 11, 2015, 08:52:05 AM »
From what I understand, member Tiger Paws may have done this long before us...

I like racing Lasers - which at 56 some might say is a mug's game, but I still give the young 'uns a run for their money in a good breeze :)

..that's me on the left - just about to unlap myself - as I've be swimming too many times - this race was subsequently abandoned as all competitors were horizontal ..

It has been my dream to sail with a loved one and one of my favourite places in the Turkish Riviera..scenic and full of history.

I persuaded S.C - who had never sailed before - to come and I had some work to do in Istanbul, and then flew out a couple of days early to Dalaman - southern Turkey - to meet the owner of the yacht I'd chartered and find a place to stay after the week on the yacht.

I rented a car and found a hotel on booking.com -Hotel Berlin in Fethiye. It was midway between the airport and the yacht's marina and it was cheap. 30usd / night

I arrived in the dark and called SC from the balcony. I showed her the canal that ran in front of the hotel and was surprised to see that the whoosing noise I'd heard in the night was the sea  :thumbsup: ..What a find ..

Breakfast was included and I showed her the situ of the hotel and I booked it for some of the days after our stay on the boat. 45 / usd/ night for a sea view room.. more later.

I went off to find the yacht marina - an hour's drive - and took the yacht out with the German lady owner - to learn the ropes - literally.

I paid the charter fee and damage deposit and returned to the hotel.

SC was flying from Sochi to Dalaman via Istanbul and the car hire firm agreed to meet us at the airport and transfer us to the Yacht. I will recommend the firm in a later post.

The driver - one of the owners kindly stopped to take our photo together by a scenic spot - and he had a cigarette.

http://carousel.dropbox.com/photos/cc/bDNyCNPe04tp008

Eventually, we arrived at the marina and SC saw the other yachts and my heart sank ... ours at 28ft was one of the smallest and she was looking at all the 15m yachts and getting grand ideas  ;)

We loaded our cases onto the yacht and it was baking hot. Madam wanted to swim - so I found a little creek, not far from the marina and in she dived off the rear bathing platform... squealing with delight as a Loggerback Turtle swam past....craning it's neck to get a good view- before diving

The Marina is at the end of a 2km long inlet and we had anchored under a large hill and it was sheltered. I wondered at the wisdom of risking a passage around the headland to the next port - but thought it was better to let SC understand the procedures for upping anchor and then head back to the Marina.

A 41 foot yacht with 4 guys on board - flying a UK and Scots flag had moored nearby and was interested in my crew - who was cooing every time she spotted a Turtle. We flew a German flag and they were clearly confused as we were speaking Russian.

They left after an hour and SC seemed keen to try a passage - so I suggested the nearby Greek island - only 4 km away.

We had to motor into the wind and were treated by the arrival of two Dolphins - which is incredibly good luck.

We were able to unfurl the front sail  - Genoa - and sailed without motor on a easy reach across to the island in a strong breeze . SC LOVED it and I was relieved ... a natural.

I have a sailing friend in Cyprus and he had advised the best place to moor up - as the  harbour charge 59 euros a night  :D

We furled the sail and anchored in a beautiful little harbour - next to the  UK 41 footer. I had no idea they had the same destination in mind.

While SC swam - I observed if the anchor was holding and we dropped the inflatable over the side and I rowed SC ashore.

We drew out some Euro - this was 7 days before the currency controls kicked in and walked around the main port - looking for a good restaurant.

We found a place with a Ukrainian waitress - this is an island of 500 people - who lives with her Greek boyfriend  :D  SC tried fresh fish and Kalamari - Squid...loved it all.

We walked back to the yacht  - over the hill - and although it was dark - I knew it was NOT where I had left it  ....

We rowed out to the spot and hailed the UK yacht - as I spotted our yacht's mast on the other side.

They were shocked to find I wasn't German / Russian and informed us that a mini tornado had hit and two yachts had broken free - one of which was ours - so they 'rescued' it and claimed salvage rights  :D

Having realised they were joking, we re-moored  - this time using two anchors - fore and aft and promised to ply the rescuers with grog - alcohol next morning  - Thank GOODNESS they had decided to stay on board.

This was the scene next morning - all calm

I rowed ashore a and went to the local store and was 'told off' by the Policeman and Harbour master for not reporting in  - which I had - but they weren't there... I was 'forgiven' - as I retain some Greek from my days in Cyprus and this was a hit ... I promised that we would visit the island, again and headed back to the yacht and to pay my dues to our saviours.

They set sail for destinations unknown and I set about taking shots of SC -as we are thinking of selling bikinis online and I had brought 10 samples and it seemed a good idea to take photos in a good setting - without an audience

This concludes day 1 and starts day 2 of our experience

« Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 09:15:46 AM by msmobyone »
Please excuse the Curmudgeon in my posts ..he will be cured by being reunited with his loved one ;)

Offline ML

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
Re: Trip report from a yacht
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2015, 10:43:15 AM »
I think showing nipples is a little too obscene for this website.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline tfcrew

• North Texas... Married 21 years
  • Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2015, 11:32:03 AM »

A sailboat.

Now this is a yacht...
~There is no one more blind than those who refuse to see and none more deaf as those who will not listen~
~Think about the intelligence of the average person and then realize that half of the people are even more stupid than that~

Offline msmobyone

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2015, 09:41:00 PM »
A sailboat.

Now this is a yacht...

NAW, That's a gin palace that can't get to places we went and has an 'iron topsail'  ;D

We used 8 litres.. a gallon and a half.. of diesel in a week...
« Last Edit: July 11, 2015, 09:42:51 PM by msmobyone »
Please excuse the Curmudgeon in my posts ..he will be cured by being reunited with his loved one ;)

Offline msmobyone

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2015, 08:39:33 PM »
Morning of Day 2 - CONT

SC enjoys sunbathing and swimming and the yacht moving interferes with these plans  :chuckle:

I have to make passages that includes coves to anchor up and cool off

The trip to our next stop depends on the wind and it seems light, so I decide to go back to the Turkish mainland and the port of Kas - sounds like cash - in Turkey. We get our internet from the masts on the Taurus mountains that tower above the town and it is only 8 km away.

Reluctantly, we leave the Greek island and head off - under two sails..

photo taken of our saviours - before we head off ..note the Greek courtesy flag .. one flies the registration flag at the back and the nation you visit on the right [ starboard] side - looking to the front

http://carousel.dropbox.com/photos/cc/KUSsefU18u3tzJi

I see a flower floating in the water .. it is from a wedding we saw the night before ... somehow the Bride has lost part of her bouquet. I retrieve it and SC claims it is 'good luck' ..

The main harbour is beautiful

http://carousel.dropbox.com/photos/cc/kbX0v2L5e3L6ulF

There is nowhere to anchor off the small uninhabited islands, so SC decides to hang off the bathing platform ladder - as we are only making 2 knots... I allow the following inflatable to 'hang back' a further few metres - in case she loses her grip.

While I am filming this idyllic setting, Madam decides to use the sea as a natural mouthwash..she tells me it is very good for the teeth  :chuckle:

We make the passage across the channel - watched by a Greek coastal patrol naval vessel - that performs some exciting turns and manoeuvres - while they have diesel left in the tanks, perhaps   :chuckle:

We are too early to go into the port - it will be difficult to swim there, so we find a bay and anchor up. Within minutes we see many Turtles and while SC swims I try to make videos but they dive the moment I see one that is close  :GRRRR:

video link .

http://carousel.dropbox.com/photos/cc/2GIVwjge7AyZEal

We munch on the most delicious water melon  - bought on the Greek island - that we have ever tasted and the afternoon slips by.

I try to stay out of the sun and entertain myself by responding to emails and posts on forums and this is one of my fav photos of the trip...

I try to take some photos using the lucky flower ..

http://carousel.dropbox.com/photos/cc/IkjWzBvGh6mq68d

As the evening closes, we head for the port. I have a guide to places  - in German and know I must moor up stern first and SC is dreading the 'ropes time' ... as this is when Mark is not 'spockoinie' ... calm  :-[..

I motor in - all the fenders - rubber protectors are out - and look in vain for an empty slot... the end of the harbour is approaching .. I am thinking. how will I turn in here and where to sleep, when I see a Scots flag amongst the masts

Sure enough,  it is our heroes and there is a space along side... They have seen us arrive and fall over themselves to throw SC ropes and help us moor up, safely.  I managed to reverse in first time... looking like a pro... the engine torque pulls the boats off a straight line and it takes some space / speed to get the helm to respond ..

One of our helpers is a local, Mr Smiley - Ishmael - who offers his biz card and welcomes us to his restaurant- telling us he will bring fruit and bread in the morning and 'sort out the harbour dues' ..I instantly like him and cannot see many yachties would get past his winning smile.

We have to use the Scots yacht to get ashore and SC 'walks the plank' in her bare feet - with aplomb .. She is a natural on the boat.

The meal is great - Mr Smiley brings us a Turkish Shiraz and it is super.

After the meal, we join our heroes for a night cap - Mongolian Vodka. It turns out that SC was a secretary for an Oligarch that one of the investment bankers knows... small world :o

The next day, I hope to meet up with a prospective client and do some biz so we make our excuses at midnight and jump down into our little yacht and bed.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 08:41:23 PM by msmobyone »

Online 2tallbill

• Living the dream
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2015, 09:02:31 PM »
Thanks for sharing!

FSUW are not for entry level daters
FSUW don't do vague
FSUW like a man of action. Be a man of action 
If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane.
There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up
Just kiss the girl, don't ask her first. Tolerate NO excuses!

Offline calmissile

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2015, 09:18:31 PM »
Thanks for sharing.  Great photos and videos.
Doug (Calmissile)

Offline BillyB

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2015, 09:52:56 PM »
we are only making 2 knots...

That's a pretty good speed considering your fiancée was the only one pushing the boat! Need more speed? Get more women.
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline msmobyone

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2015, 09:42:47 AM »
Morning of day 3

I awoke to hear Russian being spoken and on poking my head out of the door saw we were now the filling in a sandwich. We had seen the Russians near the Greek island - but they did not go there - perhaps no Schengen visas.

As we flew a German flag, I suspect they though se were also German - so when I said 'Dobri utro' - they smiled.

Mr Smiley arrived with fresh bread and fruit - as promised. When he departed on his moped - the Russians offered us their bread and departed - Mr.Smiley zoomed back and wondered if they were going to pay their harbour dues, but they were already on their way  ;D

I went with him to top up my internet - an interesting bike ride - and we also departed - having taken photos of the English books about our intended destination.

We left - having checked the wind would be fair and not too strong and reporting our intended destination to the Scots yacht... just as a matter of precaution.

We set off under motor and SC manned the tiller as I hoisted the mainsail - it was VERY hard - kept getting stuck in the track and I unfurled the Genoa.

We were under way - not exactly bombing along - and SC bathed - hanging on to the ladder.

We saw the Russians  - who had stopped off in a cove - they were heading the same way as us, but were cheating - also using the engine.

The destination was Kekova - a place to the east - with a fiord like lagoon, castle and a sunken Byzantine city.

SC really enjoyed hanging on to the ladder and surfing and I had - again - let the following inflatable hand back - in case she had to let go - the wind was light and we were on a broad reach - wind not quite directly behind and the autohelm was deployed.

This was a 20 mile plus passage and we were making good time.

http://carousel.dropbox.com/photos/cc/ZIZsaCzaOfr2XUP

As we approached 11.30 the prevailing wind picked up - we were now running before the wind - which isn't easy as the sails like to swap sides.

In the next video you can see a headland and as we approached it the wind REALLY blew up and in a within 2 minutes SC was having problems climbing the ladder and the autohelm couldn't cope in the swell.

http://carousel.dropbox.com/photos/cc/peKloUGi7Xr6W8j

I pulled her aboard and we surfed  - goose wing  - sail either side for 2 hours - zooming along ... I was looking for the gap to enter the 'fiord' / lagoon and we were chasing a catamaran that was twice our size and keeping up.

SC was aware I was enjoying myself and wasn't worried - a truly great crew... considering it was her first time.

I spotted the cat disappearing and we shortly after saw the gap and flew through . I expected the wind to drop and it did, but we needed to find shelter from the wind and headed into the wind - zig-zagging up wind to get to the head of the 'fiord'

http://carousel.dropbox.com/photos/cc/Tmdvwb0qor0R4nV

First the genoa refused to furl - reduce in size    - fixed - then the mainsail refused to come down - to allow me to take in a reef - reduce the power.

SC remained calm as we approached cliffs and tacked -changed direction in their slight lee... less wind.

We arrived at the head of the 'inland sea' and anchored - with the main still hoisted and I pulled it down with much effort.

SC had been scared - and I was not pleased about the state of maintenance of the mainsail - not being able to reduce it's size was  plain dangerous - but I had spilled the wind and we were never going to capsize.

The wind was still gusty and it was only mid afternoon - SC swam and I planned our trip ashore - as it was a 300m row.

By early evening the wind had subsided and we tried to motor the yacht closer and were waved closer by one of the two shack restaurants - who assured us that there was sufficient water to moor up on a jetty - as so it was.

There was no mains electric or water and the spot was idyllic  - our evening meal was cooked over a charcoal grill and with a beer, Turkish coffee, Lamb shish salad and sea bass came to 12 Pounds - 18 bucks  :clapping:

http://carousel.dropbox.com/photos/cc/wLPoFjYDIrYXOsv

We motored back to our anchorage and slept.

Offline Larry1

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2015, 10:03:59 AM »
Morning of Day 2 - CONT

SC enjoys sunbathing and swimming and the yacht moving interferes with these plans  :chuckle:

... this is one of my fav photos of the trip...

SC has a beautiful suntan.

Offline Anotherkiwi

• Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2015, 05:47:10 PM »
Morning of Day 2 - CONT

I try to stay out of the sun and entertain myself by responding to emails and posts on forums and this is one of my fav photos of the trip...

I thought you guys all like your steaks medium rare!  That one's definitely overcooked.  :devil:

Offline jone

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2015, 05:59:31 PM »
Wonder where the little doggie is.  Hope he didn't wind up as shark bait.
Kissing girls is a goodness.  It beats the hell out of card games.  - Robert Heinlein

Offline pitbull

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2015, 06:06:53 PM »
I thought you guys all like your steaks medium rare!  That one's definitely overcooked.  >:D

Beautiful woman - waaay too much suntan. Does she know about skin cancer?

Be the person that your dog thinks you are

Offline BillyB

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2015, 09:05:31 PM »
Beautiful woman - waaay too much suntan. Does she know about skin cancer?

That suntan was dark. I had a friend who's uncle played at least 8 hrs of volleyball in the Californian sun and got skin cancer. It covered so much of his skin that the doctors couldn't do anything about it and he passed away in his 40's. Msmobyone, your girl likes the sun so get her the best lotion that offers the most protection.
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline ML

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2015, 09:27:48 PM »
How to explain the attraction someone has to another who is going to run up hundreds of thousands of dollars of medical bills for themselves and fellow taxpayers in the home country?
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline msmobyone

« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2015, 08:34:11 AM »
 :deadhorse:

This is a FSU woman with Russian / Uzbek lineage ... she absolutely loves the sun and no amount of telling her will change her mind ... she is way closer to fifty than 40, doesn't eat meat [keep it clean] smoke and drinks v.little alcohol.

I know of the dangers of skin cancer - having lived in hot places and had a scare.... STILL she doesn't listen....

Our little dog stayed in Sochi - as I didn't want him falling overboard

Really, I do appreciate your concern.

Madam wanted me to share the photo with her hand on the tiller - being mischievous - but now thinks her 'popa' is too big  :wallbash:

« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 08:39:19 AM by msmobyone »

Offline jone

« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2015, 08:57:23 AM »
We will be taking our two little dogs with us to live in St. Petersburg this summer.  Should be interesting.  They did great in Mykolaiv.
Kissing girls is a goodness.  It beats the hell out of card games.  - Robert Heinlein

Offline jone

« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2015, 09:38:13 AM »
Moby,

Great sailing stories.  Love to hear them.  Take a small can of WD-40 with you next time you sail.  While the fix is temporary, it does help us old guys with halyards.  I spray it right on the track.  Dunno what to tell you about the auto furling of the Genoa. 

I have never sailed Lasers but used to race Butterflies and C-Scows growing up.  When I moved to California, I crewed on a Cal 40 and had leisure access to a Yankee 30.  Unfortunately, out here, I've only owned stink pots.

Offline Boethius

• Trips: No Selection
« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2015, 08:04:02 AM »
Thanks for sharing, moby.

If Sveta doesn't have a tan in the photo with her holding her dog, her tan is not particularly deep for her colouring.

After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline msmobyone

« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2015, 01:32:24 AM »
Thanks for the comments.

Jone- sure the lack of wd-40 on board was a crime - rectified after this 'scare'  - I borrowed some from a another Scot on a yacht  ;D

Boethius  - SC's tan is probably cancelled out by the flash effect in the photo you mention - she does not dye her hair - it is bleached by the sun ..no-one believes this - even my Mum doubted it ...

Today, I went with her for a swim and left her happily doing her Lizard on a rock impersonation .. the dog and I can't stand staying out in direct sun ..I like Sochi's tree-lined streets 

Offline msmobyone

« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2015, 02:01:25 AM »
I never finished the story as we went back to Russia together and as I am not   permitted to reside full time in Russia,  I'm in the UK for a few weeks.

Started looking through the photos and remembered to finish the story...

Day 4 After the exhausting passage of the day before, we awoke - looked at each other and resolved to take it easy. The sunrise was spectacular.

The water was crystal clear and I went snorkelling.. you'll note I wear a t-shirt..it isn't cold- I'm just afraid of the sun...unlike S.C.

We were too lazy to even row ashore and have a cooked breakfast and S.C made us a salad. It had been our attention to walk to an ancient sunken Byzantine city, but we were just too tired and didn't have suitable shoes for walking over stones over a long distance ..We really missed out

In late afternoon the strong wind returned and I persuaded S.C that we could sail under the front sail, only - Genoa, and we  flew down the 'fiord's' warm waters. WE were heading for a little village with a large fort.

The wind was really strong - but as it was behind us - it was exhilarating.

The Genoa furled easily - thank goodness and I wondered how we would have a quiet night on the fixed jetties I saw jutting out from the restaurants. I had been warned that there would be a rush of waving arms to suggest we should moor up on the jetty of a particular restaurant, but only one family bothered  - so they got our biz for the night.They caught our mooring lines as SC was masterful on the helm.

The jetties were sheltered from the swell created by the wind and it was peaceful when moored up.

Our yacht is the smallest one - look for the smallest mast - in the middle of the image

Dinner was Squid and salad, washed down by a beer.

You'll note S.C is wearing my sweater.. it was the one night when is was 'cool' when the sun went down, in 2 weeks.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 02:50:59 AM by msmobyone »

Offline BdHvA

• Trips: No Selection
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2015, 04:04:50 AM »

I like racing Lasers - which at 56 some might say is a mug's game, but I still give the young 'uns a run for their money in a good breeze :)

..that's me on the left - just about to unlap myself - as I've be swimming too many times - this race was subsequently abandoned as all competitors were horizontal ..

Moby is on a Laser, now an Olympic class (used as Olympic equipment) The boat out of balance before is I believe a Solo, designed again I believe by Uffa Fox.
Experierence is not what happens to you. It is what you do with what happens to you. A. Huxley

Offline msmobyone

« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2015, 05:14:23 AM »
Moby is on a Laser, now an Olympic class (used as Olympic equipment) The boat out of balance before is I believe a Solo, designed again I believe by Uffa Fox.

Jack Holt

[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Holt_(dinghy_designer)[/url

designer of many of the UK's most popular sailing dinghies

stronger coffee necessary  ;)

Offline BillyB

« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2015, 08:39:08 AM »
The water was crystal clear and I went snorkelling.. you'll note I wear a t-shirt..it isn't cold- I'm just afraid of the sun...unlike S.C.

I wore a t-shirt too when swimming in Hawaii. Like you I told my wife I don't want to get burned by the sun but between me and you and the rest of the guys here, the real reason we do it to cover up our bulging bellies. ;D

Offline msmobyone

« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2015, 11:39:08 PM »

I wore a t-shirt too when swimming in Hawaii. Like you I told my wife I don't want to get burned by the sun but between me and you and the rest of the guys here, the real reason we do it to cover up our bulging bellies. ;D

Speak for yourself..a bulging belly in a wet t-shirt doesn't bear thinking about  :D

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 540997
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2004
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 10
Guests: 1994
Total: 2004

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:20:42 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 09:12:54 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:02:12 PM

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 08:45:42 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 07:59:27 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 07:04:53 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 06:59:45 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 06:57:42 PM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 06:36:52 PM

Re: Twenty Years... and Counting (MarkInTx Update) by supranatural
Yesterday at 03:02:29 PM