It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: More Bad News for Russia  (Read 1086910 times)

Offline sleepycat

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: 4 - 10
More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #4025 on: January 18, 2016, 06:17:38 PM »

I still firmly hold the position that it is....blah....blah....blah....

Do you also firmly hold the view that the earth is flat, or all the other planets and the sun orbits the earth?
  :popcorn:

Offline fathertime

• Trips: > 10
More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #4026 on: January 18, 2016, 07:11:01 PM »
Do you also firmly hold the view that the earth is flat, or all the other planets and the sun orbits the earth?
Thank you for the opportunity to expand on why I believe this to be true. 

I firmly hold that Russia receiving strong dollars for oil is better than them receiving weak dollars for that same oil.  Of course it would be better still (for them) if they received MORE strong dollars than they are currently.  Keep in mind, I'm talking about strong US dollars as it pertains to the dollar's strength to currency's other than the Ruble.  A strong dollar that Russia receives can then be used to buy something in Euros or Pesos, or any other weaker currency (where trading is occurring) , of which there are a lot lately!

:crackwhip:

Fathertime! 
I just happened to be browsing about the internet....

Offline BillyB

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #4027 on: January 18, 2016, 08:17:49 PM »

That's why this thread is called, "Bad News For Russia".  :rolleyes: :rolleyes: [size=78%] If you want sweet, syrupy nonsense look elsewhere. [/size] :crackwhip: :crackwhip:

I previously said I don't like what Russia is doing. I previously said I want to see Ukraine prosper and get out from under Russia's foot. How many times do I got to repeat myself to get people to understand? How many thousands of times do you guys have to put Russia down? People got the point the first time. You don't like Russia, you don't like what their doing to Ukraine, and you hope they suffer. We get it.

The forum is more of an article dump site now.  You can tell most people don't even bother reading since most articles rarely bring further discussion.  How many threads are just articles now?  I see a couple just logging in today.

I've notice a few posters speaking out against the cluster fukc of anti Russian articles. Most stay silent and leave. People need to set their personal crusades aside or take it elsewhere for the benefit of the majority here.
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline southernX

• Spouse's Country: Russia
More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #4028 on: January 18, 2016, 09:55:12 PM »
billy b I've notice a few posters speaking out against the cluster fukc of anti Russian articles. Most stay silent and leave. People need to set their personal crusades aside or take it elsewhere for the benefit of the majority here.

many are busy with life and loved ones billy , including those of us who have family in ukraine and russia

im not anti russian , just hate how the gov there is conducting itself  ::)

personally i think both forums are a bit lop sided with their input , this one at least has some balance still
SX 
Going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than standing in a garage makes you a car.

Offline AkMike

• Trips: Resident
More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #4029 on: January 19, 2016, 12:21:35 AM »
Let's review things here for a bit BillyB,
 This section of RWD is called "RWD News from the Front", Subsection /Russian Front Discussion/. This thread is called, "More Bad News for Russia".

Many don't get the chance to see the news from the east so it's put up here.  If you want to see the sweet kind loving news of Russian aggression then dig up 'Good News for Russia'.

If you don't agree with the content, Whatever!  Simply don't look at it.
 Stop grousing because it's not what you personally want to see.

Personally I  think things are going to get interesting after the ruble crosses the 80/1 mark (probably later today) and really get wild after the 100/1 mark.

Offline AkMike

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #4030 on: January 19, 2016, 01:02:37 AM »
Ouch!  That's gotta hurt bad.. :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:
International Business Times: Russian oligarchs lose $11 billion in just 10 trading days due to weak rouble and rising oil prices

http://www.kyivpost.com/article/content/business/international-business-times-russian-oligarchs-lose-11-billion-in-just-10-trading-days-due-to-weak-rouble-and-rising-oil-prices-406102.html

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #4031 on: January 19, 2016, 01:42:27 AM »
FT:
Your anger doesn't cover for your inability to comprehend what I actually wrote

First, I quote you. If you don't have the intelligence to write something and then not recognize it as your own, stop typing.

Next, I'm not angry at all. I am indignant at your ignorance in the face of your bold theories.

You really do need to travel more if you are going to write about Russia. Your ignorance is appalling.
The Mendeleyev Journal. http://mendeleyevjournal.com Member: Congress of Russian Journalists; ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.RU (Journalist-Russia); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.UA (Journalist-Ukraine); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.KZ (Journalist-Kazakhstan); ПОРТАЛ ЖУРНАЛИСТОВ (Portal of RU-UA Journalists); Просто Журналисты ("Just Journalists").

Offline JayH

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #4032 on: January 19, 2016, 01:53:45 AM »
many are busy with life and loved ones billy , including those of us who have family in ukraine and russia

im not anti russian , just hate how the gov there is conducting itself  ::)

personally i think both forums are a bit lop sided with their input , this one at least has some balance still
SX

SX-- as you know-- it is not about anyone being anti-Russian per se. Many who post here are in the same position as you-with relatives & friends on both side of the border. That is a lot more than a few commenting negatively about posts here can say.

Much as the anti -Ukrainian critics of everything Ukrainian and the pro-Rus excuse makers  don't like it-- we are now in the process of great change-really significant change is happening NOW.It seems despite the weight of material posted-- we have forum fools and trolls who still remain intent to show their ignorance.
As pointed out in other threads--many are now writing of potential outcomes

Quoting-
"First, I think what is clear is that Russia is now facing a much more difficult economic outlook than even a few months ago. The drop in oil prices over the past month, amid the Saudi-Iran schism, seems to have been the game-changer for Moscow – and survival of the regime seems to now be the name of the game (or at least there is serious concern how long Russia’s balance sheet can hold up to ensure social stability)."
http://www.russianwomendiscussion.com/index.php?topic=20479.msg422010#msg422010
SLAVA UKRAYINI  ! HEROYAM SLAVA!!!!
Слава Украине! Слава героям слава!Слава Україні! Слава героям!
 translated as: Glory to Ukraine! Glory to the heroes!!!  is a Ukrainian greeting slogan being used now all over Ukraine to signify support for a free independent Ukraine

Offline AkMike

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #4033 on: January 19, 2016, 02:38:20 AM »
I suspect that there will be some wild swings in the rubles value when it hit's 100/1.  It's only a psychological benchmark but it might be an important one for the Russian economy. It's beginning to snowball and gain momentum already.

Offline fathertime

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #4034 on: January 19, 2016, 09:37:54 AM »
FT:
First, I quote you. If you don't have the intelligence to write something and then not recognize it as your own, stop typing.

Next, I'm not angry at all. I am indignant at your ignorance in the face of your bold theories.

You really do need to travel more if you are going to write about Russia. Your ignorance is appalling.

You must becoming a real illiterate nutbag or something, given how you 'read' my earlier post, and ran with it!

You are jumping up and down responding to something I did not say...and invoking images of starving old ladies to boot...all the whiile pumping yourself off as a modern day Robin Hood. 

Yeah ironically the overall strength of the dollar DOES benefit Russia since they are receiving strong dollars for their oil...those strong dollars can purchase more goods worldwide than weak dollars would.  Your blindness (and anger) on this point remains stunning.  Now let's see how you misrepresent the point I make next!!

"Indignant"..HA, not anger...yeah right! STFU as YOU would say!

Fathertime! 

Offline mendeleyev

• RWD Advisor
More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #4035 on: January 19, 2016, 02:41:49 PM »
Again, you are writing out of ignorance. I am no Robin Hood, but I issue a challenge for you to come to Moscow for 2 weeks. Live in a local neighborhood and do a lot of walking.

Then write.

Until then, what you write about the Russian economy has less value than one kopek.
The Mendeleyev Journal. http://mendeleyevjournal.com Member: Congress of Russian Journalists; ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.RU (Journalist-Russia); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.UA (Journalist-Ukraine); ЖУРНАЛИСТЫ.KZ (Journalist-Kazakhstan); ПОРТАЛ ЖУРНАЛИСТОВ (Portal of RU-UA Journalists); Просто Журналисты ("Just Journalists").

Offline fathertime

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #4036 on: January 19, 2016, 03:13:48 PM »
Again, you are writing out of ignorance. I am no Robin Hood, but I issue a challenge for you to come to Moscow for 2 weeks. Live in a local neighborhood and do a lot of walking.

Then write.

Until then, what you write about the Russian economy has less value than one kopek.

I can go to 50 countries with rampant poverty, and don't need to entertain your challenge...many of which I've already seen plenty of. None of that changes (the isolated fact)that I wrote regarding strong dollars being better for for oil producing nations (Getting paid in dollars), than weak dollars.  Huff and puff all you need to, but you can't dance around that small point which remains correct. 

It is only your willful ignorance that enables you to continue to write the rubbish that you do, while attributing arguments to me that I did not make.

Fathertime!   

Offline LAman

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #4037 on: January 19, 2016, 03:53:46 PM »

Then write.

Mendy.....there are others here who you should be challenging also.......

What is sad about RWD is people writing here are not offering information.......only affirmation. Feels like we have here the mirror image of RT.
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift

Offline JayH

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #4038 on: January 19, 2016, 04:05:35 PM »
That is just garbage. The opportunity is there to post--why not do it.

I am guessing that you agree with the destructive censorship of the last 24 hours?

Fact is-- a couple of threads with updates -who can it hurt?

Like I said elsewhere--how many times do we have to read the same inane questions about "xyz"site?The smallest effort to search would see existing threads--aand the same people respond with the same answers everytime.
I said it before--there is much in the process right now that anyone interested in the FSU needs to be aware of--regardless .
 translated as: Glory to Ukraine! Glory to the heroes!!!  is a Ukrainian greeting slogan being used now all over Ukraine to signify support for a free independent Ukraine

Offline sleepycat

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #4039 on: January 19, 2016, 04:13:04 PM »

I can go to 50 countries with rampant poverty,

From which one of the 50 did you find your wife from?

Online krimster2

• He/Him
More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #4040 on: January 19, 2016, 05:08:16 PM »
Jay,
instead of the copy/paste political articles, many of us would probably find it more interesting if you posted things about your own PERSONAL experiences in Ukraine.

Take for example the topic of “beer", you being an Australian might have a different perspective than those of us who are American in regards to this subject.  I found that Obolon on tap was very smooth and had a nice hop flavor, definitely superior to Obolon in a bottle, and the tap version had a "premium" taste for a product whose brand would be considered to be mediocre .  I have had in the summer months beer from the “beer wagons”, which are street vendors who sell beer by the liter, but you have to bring your own container, I’ve had this both in Kyiv and Sevastopol.  In 1996, when I was enjoying a sabbatical in Kyiv (was my first trip there), after an evening at the opera I would walk over to a restaurant called “PanteGruel” have a late meal and have a few pints from the tap, I tried the Guiness on tap there and loved it and from then on stuck with that,  Guiness in a bottle never tasted even half as good as PantaGreul’s tap variety.

I never found Baltica on tap in Ukraine, Baltica #9 on tap would be interesting. 

So what of your beer experiences Jay?

Offline Gator

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #4041 on: January 19, 2016, 05:31:11 PM »

It is only your willful ignorance that enables you to continue to write the rubbish that you do, while attributing arguments to me that I did not make.

It  is rare to see a sentence with "ignorance" the subject and "enable" the verb.

Offline Изумруд

• Trips: No Selection
More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #4042 on: January 19, 2016, 05:37:53 PM »

Then write.

Mendy, don't feed trolls!  You should know that from the other site.  ;)

Offline Gator

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #4043 on: January 19, 2016, 05:53:15 PM »

I firmly hold that Russia receiving strong dollars for oil is better than them receiving weak dollars for that same oil.  Of course it would be better still (for them) if they received MORE strong dollars than they are currently.  Keep in mind, I'm talking about strong US dollars as it pertains to the dollar's strength to currency's other than the Ruble.  A strong dollar that Russia receives can then be used to buy something in Euros or Pesos, or any other weaker currency (where trading is occurring) , of which there are a lot lately!

If oil were paid in euros or pounds, how would it matter?    Any other currency?  Not too many currency exchange markets can handle the equivalent of $2.5 billion/day.   

Are you sure all of Russia's oil exports are paid for in dollars?   How about Russia's long term deals such as oil to China or gas to Ukraine?  I have no idea how those long term deals are priced and paid.   You agree that some could be bartered trades.  Do these deals account for daily fluctuations in oil prices set in the oil futures market? 

When undertaking a huge investment in a new pipeline,  long term deals for gas or oil are frequently made concurrently.  Your point would be very valid if, for example, China agreed three years ago  to buy from Russia 0.5 million bbl/day for 20 years from Russia at a fixed price of $100/bbl.  But I doubt  such contracts were done without some adjustment clauses.

Reminds me of 1986 when visiting my friend in Moscow, the Dutch agricultural attaché.  In trying to sell Dutch cheese and butter to the Soviets, the Soviets offered to pay not in currency but only in cement. 

Offline fathertime

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #4044 on: January 19, 2016, 06:56:45 PM »

If oil were paid in euros or pounds, how would it matter?    Any other currency?  Not too many currency exchange markets can handle the equivalent of $2.5 billion/day.   

At long last somebody decides to discuss the issue rather than complain about the right to bring the subject up!

If Russia were paid in another currency that was weaker worldwide it would lesson their ability to parley said currency into goods for their country.  Dollars are extremely strong worldwide right now.  The dollar is at or near all time highs in a lot of currencies right now.  The Canadian Dollar, the Thai Baht, the Brazilian Real, The Mexican Peso, The Russian Ruble,...it is also pretty high against the Euro....there are more than I can easily list. 

Russia is able to bypass its own weak currency by using the dollars it receives from oil sales.   

Are you sure all of Russia's oil exports are paid for in dollars?   How about Russia's long term deals such as oil to China or gas to Ukraine?  I have no idea how those long term deals are priced and paid.   You agree that some could be bartered trades.  Do these deals account for daily fluctuations in oil prices set in the oil futures market? 

When undertaking a huge investment in a new pipeline,  long term deals for gas or oil are frequently made concurrently.  Your point would be very valid if, for example, China agreed three years ago  to buy from Russia 0.5 million bbl/day for 20 years from Russia at a fixed price of $100/bbl.  But I doubt  such contracts were done without some adjustment clauses.

I'd say "ALL" is too strong a word...there will always be some wheeling and dealing on the side, I agree...but generally Russia receives dollars for oil.  Russia has threatened to pull away from the dollar in favor of the Yuan.  That would likely ultimately harm us (THE US) and probably won't help them much in the short term. 

With the low oil prices (and commodities), many of our larger companies have been harmed.  Blue chip companies too....CVX, Chevron (SHares down big)  KMI, Kinder Morgan (down almost 75%) AA, ALCOA,(Down 65%) COP, Conoco Phillips (Down 50%). THat is only a few. Real people, and real money being lost by somebody....I suspect they will all bounce back as well Russia...

Fathertime! 

Offline JayH

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #4045 on: January 19, 2016, 07:05:57 PM »
Ahh Gator--the answer is he does not know !

Really-- is it possible this guy is anything but a troll?

Offline msmobyone

• patriotism is the last vestige of fools, but hey
More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #4046 on: January 19, 2016, 09:45:24 PM »
Thank you for the opportunity to expand on why I believe this to be true. 

:crackwhip:

Fathertime!

My goodness FT, you have had the simplest of formula demonstrating why your assertion is nonsense - yet you persist

Please excuse the Curmudgeon in my posts ..he will be cured by being reunited with his loved one ;)

Offline fathertime

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #4047 on: January 19, 2016, 09:54:05 PM »
My goodness FT, you have had the simplest of formula demonstrating why your assertion is nonsense - yet you persist

I've explained my reasoning...YOU have not.    The strong dollar is paid to and then ued by Russia for their oil, they are then able to use that strong dollar to buy from other countries a lot more than their own Ruble would otherwise get them...should be simple, except for a few here!

Ahh Gator--the answer is he does not know !

Really-- is it possible this guy is anything but a troll?

Haha, I guess you turned off your 'ignore' switch again just as soon as I posted!   
 :ROFL:

Fathertime!

Offline msmobyone

• patriotism is the last vestige of fools, but hey
More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #4048 on: January 19, 2016, 09:54:53 PM »

None of that changes (the isolated fact)that I wrote regarding strong dollars being better for for oil producing nations (Getting paid in dollars), than weak dollars.  Huff and puff all you need to, but you can't dance around that small point which remains correct. 

..and here you are - again -  disappointing whoever taught you maths..

2014 - prior to Crimea ..rouble at approx 35 dollar - oil c.100 usd / barrel = 3500 roubles

2016 - now rouble at 79 / dollar - oil at 30 USD / Barrel  = 2370 roubles - that's FIFTY percent less ...

Be careful throwing around accusations of ignorance whilst your assertions are based on a woeful inability to understand basic sums and even repeat the folly - once it is demonstrated to you 

:deadhorse:
Please excuse the Curmudgeon in my posts ..he will be cured by being reunited with his loved one ;)

Offline fathertime

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #4049 on: January 19, 2016, 10:05:34 PM »
..and here you are - again -  disappointing whoever taught you maths..

2014 - prior to Crimea ..rouble at approx 35 dollar - oil c.100 usd / barrel = 3500 roubles

2016 - now rouble at 79 / dollar - oil at 30 USD / Barrel  = 2370 roubles - that's FIFTY percent less ...

Be careful throwing around accusations of ignorance whilst your assertions are based on a woeful inability to understand basic sums and even repeat the folly - once it is demonstrated to you 

:deadhorse:

You continue to not get it!

For the point I'm making it wouldn't matter if the Ruble was 100 to 1.  It is being BYPASSED when Russia receives dollars for oil they can convert those dollars directly to whatever currency/country they are dealing with! 

That said, I was never arguing that the declining Ruble was a positive for Russia, because not everything is abou oil/dollars...BUT since most of the world's currencies are also going down pretty fast too oil dollars do MITIGATE the negative effect for Russia since it receives a lot of dollars which it can then spend, with the ruble being out of the equation.   

Fathertime! 

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8884
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541473
Total Topics: 20864
Most Online Today: 3481
Most Online Ever: 12701