It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: My new life in the Republic of Georgia  (Read 302370 times)

Offline Maxx2

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: 4 - 10
Re: My new life in the Republic of Georgia
« Reply #1075 on: September 30, 2019, 09:01:37 PM »

A month ago Michael and I visited a land developer. An Englishman named Arthur. He had a lot he was showing us here. And he had 20,000 square meters sitting on a mountaintop he wanted to turn into a resort. What our involvement in this was Arthur wanted us develop a website to attract investors. Financial compensation never came up in conversation.

After an interesting day of getting the tour, I came away thinking, "What is this going to do for me?" Arthur had that glad-hander salesman personality that triggered my spidey senses. So walked away and left it to Michael.

Two days ago Michael tells me he tried to get an understanding with Arthur about pay. Arthur told him, "I'd rather work with the American (me) than an Indian." Michael tells him, "I hope you are kidding. I am an American. A Native American."  The arrogance of some people!

« Last Edit: October 01, 2019, 05:45:44 AM by Maxx2 »

Offline ML

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #1076 on: September 30, 2019, 09:03:24 PM »

I was a working gold refiner for 34 years. Knowing how to work around hot stuff is second nature to me. The only hot stuff I have trouble with, is female.  >:(

Was yours the type of business where people brought you old gold watches, rings, unwanted jewelry, etc.?
Any gold teeth that you had to wonder how such was obtained ??

Coins probably had too much value as coins to be melted down; right ??

After you melted down and refined, who were your major buyers?  Jewelry stores or industrial or ??
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #1077 on: September 30, 2019, 09:21:11 PM »
Was yours the type of business where people brought you old gold watches, rings, unwanted jewelry, etc.?
Any gold teeth that you had to wonder how such was obtained ??

Coins probably had too much value as coins to be melted down; right ??

After you melted down and refined, who were your major buyers?  Jewelry stores or industrial or ??

I worked mostly with jewelry manufactures. But also with jewelry stores and pawn shops. In the 80s I worked on a lot of circuit scrap but when I went on my own in 1990 I decided it was too much work for too little gold. Plus it created a lot of waste such as cyanide solution used to strip the gold off the boards, connectors etc.

Gold teeth is known in the business as "dead gold." If you get a good amount of gold teeth from a jeweler, you can bet he got it from the town undertaker.

Coins unless damaged could be sold to pawn shops or jewelry stores for over their melt value.

24 karat gold (99.95%) was usually sold to jewelry manufactures. However after NAFTA etc all the jewelry manufactures pretty much went out of business. The last 7 years I was in business (1990-2014) I sold my gold to a refiner who had connections to the few jewelry manufactures left. Gold was sold to them in a karated form, 10K, 14K, 18K etc yellow and white.

I also processed platinum and silver too.

Some gold I refined in 1981

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #1078 on: September 30, 2019, 09:45:15 PM »

A month ago Michael and I visited a land developer. An Englishman named Arthur.  he had 20,000 square meters sitting on a mountaintop he wanted to turn into a resort.

This is definitely NOT a winter resort. It is covered with 2 meters or more of snow and there are a number of shear drop offs.

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #1079 on: September 30, 2019, 11:08:10 PM »

This business is going to take some time in getting going. If it does at all. Well at least I have something to keep me occupied.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2019, 12:34:30 AM by Maxx2 »

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #1080 on: October 01, 2019, 05:31:44 AM »

Offline BC

• Spouse's Country: Russia
« Reply #1081 on: October 01, 2019, 07:11:03 AM »
That looks very tasty Maxx!  Compliments to y'all!

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #1082 on: October 01, 2019, 08:07:54 AM »
That looks very tasty Maxx!  Compliments to y'all!

It was BC and thank you!

Tomorrow or the next day we are going to tackle the rice. Two types. White steamed rice with cilantro and a Mexican fried rice. I have a rice maker that will work like a dream for the white rice.

Michael's aunt's fried rice is legendary in southwest Texas. Interesting how Mexican fried rice is made. It is cooked in lard with spices until it turns into that nice yellow color.

One thing that stood out today was how much time food prep took. We will definitely need a food processor of some sort. Once you have everything prepared the assembly is easy.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2019, 08:09:27 AM by Maxx2 »

Offline ML

« Reply #1083 on: October 01, 2019, 08:18:45 AM »
A wet towel perhaps, but . . .

Back 30 years or so, a friend of mine used to say:

Let's go to the Mexican place.  We can get sick as a dog for less than $5 each.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #1084 on: October 01, 2019, 08:21:49 AM »
A wet towel perhaps, but . . .

Back 30 years or so, a friend of mine used to say:

Let's go to the Mexican place.  We can get sick as a dog for less than $5 each.

That is up there with the Chinese serving cat for dinner.

Offline GQBlues

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #1085 on: October 01, 2019, 10:51:56 AM »

It was BC and thank you!

Tomorrow or the next day we are going to tackle the rice. Two types. White steamed rice with cilantro and a Mexican fried rice. I have a rice maker that will work like a dream for the white rice.

Michael's aunt's fried rice is legendary in southwest Texas. Interesting how Mexican fried rice is made. It is cooked in lard with spices until it turns into that nice yellow color.

One thing that stood out today was how much time food prep took. We will definitely need a food processor of some sort. Once you have everything prepared the assembly is easy.

In many circles, they usually just sprinkle a dash of turmeric when cooking rice. Either long grain or Basmati. Mexican rice is a bit more on the 'orange' hue instead of 'yellow', but that's likely because of the chili powder they sprinkle it with.

Have fun, maxx.
Quote from: msmob
1. Because of 'man', global warming is causing desert and arid areas to suffer long, dry spell.
2. The 2018 Camp Fire and Woolsey California wildfires are forests burning because of global warming.
3. N95 mask will choke you dead after 30 min. of use.

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #1086 on: October 01, 2019, 10:14:39 PM »

Mexican Rice:

Pour about half an inch of oil in medium size pot, heat until hot.

Then pour 2 cups of rice and stir until brown on high heat

While browning add 2 cubes of chicken bouillon or 1 can of chicken broth

Premix these items all in a bowl
4 cups of water
cumin to taste
garlic salt to taste
(1 each) 8oz can of tomato sauce

Then add to rice - mix and cover and simmer on low for 20 minutes

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #1087 on: October 01, 2019, 10:58:36 PM »

Our Pico de Gallo   

We need to get a food processor to get smaller pieces and to ease the process of food preparation.

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #1088 on: October 02, 2019, 01:46:22 AM »

Guacamole

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #1089 on: October 04, 2019, 01:44:38 AM »

I haven't seen or heard from Michael in 3 days. I'm thinking I will have do this on my own, or perhaps in competition? 

Tortillas

Flour Tortillas:

Ingredients
* 3 3/4 cups unbleached all purpose flour
* 3 tablespoons lard or shortening
* 1 to 1.5 teaspoons salt
* 1 1/3 cup warm water
* 2 teaspoons of Baking Powder - if lard is not available.

Instructions:

* Add the salt to the flour and mix well.  Use your fingers to crumble the lard into the flour mixture.  Add 1 cup warm water and stir as much as you can with a spoon, then dump onto a flat surface and knead into a cohesive ball.  Let rest for at least 30 minutes.
* Tear into golfball sized chunks, rolling between your hands to shape them into smooth balls.
* Use a rolling pin to roll them out approximately 5-6 inches in diameter.
* Heat a comal/griddle to medium high temperature and add a tortilla.
* Cook each side for 45-60 seconds or until light brown spots form.
* As one tortilla cooks, roll out the next to expedite the process.

Notes:

If the tortillas are springing back and not holding their shape as you roll them out, then let the dough (or dough balls) rest for a little longer.

It can take a few tries to get the heat of the stove right.  If you're quickly getting black spots then your temp is too high.  If it's taking too long to get brown spots then your temp is too low.

NOTE: Flour Tortillas - Made Approximately: 14 tortillas
1/2 - 3/4 kg flour
Oil - 3 tablespoons
Baking Powder - 2 teaspoons
Salt - 1 - 1. 1/2 teaspoon

Corn Tortillas:

Ingredients
* 2 cups masa harina
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1.5 cups warm water

Instructions:

* Add 2 cups masa harina and 1/2 teaspoon salt to a mixing bowl.  Add 1 cup of the warm water and stir until the water is absorbed.  Add the rest of the water incrementally until the flour melds into a dough.  Use your hands to knead the dough into a cohesive ball.  If the dough is sticking to your hands, add a bit of masa harina to dry it out.
* Separate the dough into golf ball sized chunks, this will make tortillas approximately 4 inches across.
* Flatten the dough balls using a tortilla press or a flat bottomed pan. Be sure to line each side of the dough ball with plastic or ziploc pieces.
* Heat a skillet or comal to medium-high heat.  (Lately I use a tad over medium heat and this will have brown spots forming in about 60 seconds.)
* Add a tortilla and flip after 10 seconds. Then cook each side for 1-2 minutes or until light brown spots are forming.
* Continue cooking the rest of the tortillas.
* Serve immediately or store in an airtight container in the fridge.
Notes:
Sometimes it can take some fiddling to get the heat right on the stove. If the tortillas are getting singed black spots quickly, then dial down the heat. Ideally each side takes about 1-2 minutes before brown spots start forming.

If you don't want to do the 'quick flip' method, then you can simply cook each side of the tortilla for 1-2 minutes, or until brown spots are forming.

Offline Maxx2

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #1091 on: October 04, 2019, 02:03:13 AM »

Focus on:

1. Tomato Sauce.
2. Making tortillas, wheat and corn
3. Picadilo - ground Beef dish.
4. Chopped up tomatoes
5. Chopped up lettuce
6. Shredded cheddar cheese
7. Fresh long red and green peppers
8. Pickled jalapeños
9. Pico de Gallo
10. Guacamole
11. Salsa
12. Red sauce, mild and hot
13. Corn Chips

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #1092 on: October 08, 2019, 09:40:21 PM »

Unlike apples, avocados do not produce a great deal of ethelyne while on the tree.  Also unlike apples, avocados do not ripen until harvested.  Methlycylopropene can delay avocado ripening, but only by about two weeks.   Removing ethelyne in storage has been tried with Haas avocados, and the maximum length of time they can be kept under ripened is 9 weeks.  However, this can lead to blackened fruit when it does ripen.  It "skips" the ripe stage to turn black.  I've had this occur when I purchase avocados at Costco - most will ripen, but one will be black, or a couple won't ripen at all.  They will look ripe on the outside, will even turn black, but the fruit inside is unripe.   I've even had cases where none of the avocados ripen.  I suppose I could return them, but can't really be bothered to do so for $9.  It is not comparable to apples.

This is what a ripe avocado look like after being frozen for a week. Looks good but the flavor had been flattened.

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #1093 on: October 08, 2019, 09:55:24 PM »

Flour, lard and water

1.5 Kilos of flour, 6 tablespoons of lard and water which made 35 tortillas.

A golf ball size of doe being rolled out.

Cutting the circle with a stainless steel cake ring. This is the 6 inch size.

Ready to be fried on a hot pan. I forgot to take a photo of the frying and finished product. It took 1 hour to make 35 tortillas. Very low cost to make and tasted excellent.

The browning of the rice, cooking the tomato red sauce and the hamburger picodila. The dark brown in the rice is the chicken bullion cubes dissolving. We found out the tomatoes are best with the skins left on. It tastes better and it has a richer brighter color.

The finished Spanish rice. Tasted good!

Offline Maxx2

The Tex-Mex food was a hit!
« Reply #1094 on: October 08, 2019, 10:10:34 PM »

We had a taco party at my gym Monday night. About 20 people were there. We ran out of tortillas so people made taco salads. We learned 3 things. 

1) Not one Georgian or one Russian had ever tasted Mexican food before.

2) EVERYONE loved it! They raved over it! Everyone went back for seconds and thirds.

3) A small restaurant in a good part of town can be rented for about $500-$600 a month. This would be in areas where there would be a good amount of tourist foot traffic. In a lesser out of the way place about $300 a month. The key though is the delivery services they have here. Delivery is done by motor scooter, Glovo, Wolt and Menu.ge Delivery charge is 3 GEL ($1.01) and the customer pays it when the food is delivered.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2019, 10:12:57 PM by Maxx2 »

Offline BillyB

« Reply #1095 on: October 08, 2019, 10:58:57 PM »

That’s good news! Now we need to pick a name for your restaurant that’s original and rings well with customers. I’m leaning towards the name McMaxx’s with the symbol of not one, but TWO sets of Golden Arches on top of your restaurant representing the two “m”s in your name. I’ll charge you a small fee with a friends and family discount amounting to $1000 for my idea and you’ll own the rights to it.
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #1096 on: October 09, 2019, 12:50:46 AM »
Billy, you are a funny guy!  :ROFL:

There is restaurant in the downtown area with a Golden Arches. Only is is inverted and looks like a yellow 'W'. It is the exact same symbol as Mc D's except it is upside down.

Offline Maxx2

What a drama
« Reply #1097 on: October 09, 2019, 03:43:50 AM »

As I said Michael has been out of work for 3 years. His savings are nearly exhausted. And his wife left him a few months ago. He tells me today there was more to the problem of his being out of work. He and his wife had wanted a child. She was unable to conceive. So they traveled to a clinic in Turkey where it was found that her fallopian tubes had collapsed. All this came together and she left because she didn't see a solution. Money is needed to fix the problem. He has been walking, walking, walking around Batumi and online at the public library looking for work. But that so far fits Einstein's definition of insanity. He also told me his brother's wife, his American sister-in-law, has been in communication with his Azerbaijani wife. But that is not going well as there is a communication (language) problem. I told him I had a similar problem with Sonya who is also from Azerbaijan. Sonya was my recent drama a few months ago.

I told him about my Russian friend Alex. Alex is married to a Georgian woman. They had the same problem as Michael and his wife, she couldn't conceive. What they did was use a clinic in Tbilisi and did in vitro fertilization. Now they have two beautiful boys, age 4. I told Michael what he needs to do is put his head down and get working on this business. Get some photos of the parties we are throwing and some photos with Alex, Yulia and sons. Then have his sister-in-law send them to his wife and tell her Michael is really trying to make something of his self. Then see what happens.

At the party at the gym 2 days ago Michael stayed only at the beginning. Then he left to suffer his grief alone. I didn't see him or hear from him at all yesterday. I didn't try and contact him. Today we talked on the phone and chatted on Skype. I don't know if he will be able to pull himself together. Believe me, I am not going to dig into my pocket to help him. What ever I spend will strictly be for business.

Offline BC

• Spouse's Country: Russia
« Reply #1098 on: October 09, 2019, 04:07:20 AM »
Maxx,

Suggest not to go into other folks intimate personal issues without explicit permission to publish it on the 'net.  This is an open part of the board, thus easily googleable.  Even if names are partial, photos are not and can be used to identify someone. ;)

Offline fathertime

« Reply #1099 on: October 09, 2019, 05:22:37 AM »
Hey Maxxx,
The business sounds really good.  If you haven’t already I’d suggest you really pin your ears back and jump into it four square.  It is  one of the first times you appear to be content with something. Doing this may shave weight and add in every other aspect of your life. 

Regarding your buddy.  I realize your buddy hasn’t  asked you for money but if you and him put more time in together and you decide he is a worthwhile individual I’d consider helping him out if you had the means  there may be no better use of money    Just a thought   
Fathertime!   
I just happened to be browsing about the internet....

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 540998
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 10
Guests: 1971
Total: 1981

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Brillynt
Today at 06:16:36 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:20:42 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 09:12:54 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:02:12 PM

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 08:45:42 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 07:59:27 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 07:04:53 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 06:59:45 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 06:57:42 PM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 06:36:52 PM