It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: FSU women  (Read 13669 times)

FSU women
« Reply #50 on: August 03, 2005, 06:25:04 PM »
Washington state (thank God)

North of seattle.

Offline Bruno

FSU women
« Reply #51 on: August 03, 2005, 10:01:36 PM »
Quote from: EVU
Thanks

[edit] I just realized though that I have read that ebook (different site) and been to that forum...lol

Yep, you can find these book at several place... he was make by a other marriage agency and free to distribute...

Now, the information inside are not bad but like always, each case is different... about forum, why read only English forum... why not a russian one... if language is a problem, you can use a free tool at http://www.worldlingo.com/en/websites/url_translator.html ... online translating of site...

I am sure that you can find what you wish on the internet... only you know what you wish know... so, you are the only one able to make the search... you have a lot of site with study over a country, official statistic, ... internet is a very good library... only the index of it's content is not very good :D

Offline jb

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
FSU women
« Reply #52 on: August 04, 2005, 03:26:15 AM »
I can only address a couple of points:

KenC wrote:
The best explanation I have read regarding this was that RW were forced into manly jobs during WWII and because of communism.  Because they were forced, they struggled dearly to hold on to their femininity.  After they would finish their work for the day, the RW would run home and get all dressed up in their most feminine attire with full make up and such.[/i]  Where as AW "marched" directly toward their own liberating "manhood".  It was a clear choice to pick carreers over family responsibilities.

Hummmm....  Ken, I think it's safe to say your wife was very young, maybe 10 or 11 y.o., when the Iron Curtain came down, I'm not sure she's a good example of cultural norms prior to the new Russia.  When I was there in the 1980's, during the Sov times, I never saw this phemon.  Most of the women I observed wore very simply clothes, the shoes were not stylish, and full make-up was non-existant.  Add to this, the average day for a good Soviet woman worker was not a thing most modern AW could endure.  Living in cramped quarters, 6 people to a 1 room flat was not uncommon, shared chores for the family, hand washing what few clothes they had, (which were mostly home made), and there were zero places to go to show off a nice dress, even if they had one.  Unless one wore the dress to stand in a line somewhere hoping to get a couple of kilos of fresh fruit, a new pair of illfitting shoes, or a couple of meters of cloth to make another garment of some kind for a family member in need of a new shirt.  Oddly enough, furs were available, they are very warm and extremely practical for Russian winters, my wife's first fur coat was home made, sewn by her very own fingers.  I've seen the coat and it is still quite lovely, but it was made by cutting up several old coats to salvage useable furs.

The concept of night clubs is a relatively new idea in the FSU.  There were no discos in Russia prior to 1989-90, in fact, under Soviet rule, musicians could be, and were sometimes, jailed for playing decadent western music.  It was a very repressive government until Gorby began to open things up in the late 1980's.

I think the ultra-feminine look you see nowadays with Russian women is a backlash from all those years they couldn't look sexy.  Now that they can, they'll spend their last ruble on clothes and make-up.

I'm always amused to see the spin men put on things to try to put RW into their own western perspective.  Unless you actually visited the USSR back in the old days, you just can't understand Russians at all.

Offline KenC

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: No Selection
FSU women
« Reply #53 on: August 04, 2005, 03:36:58 AM »
jb,

My ideas came from my MIL and not my wife.  "Going out" may have not included discos, but a stroll downtown to meet up with friends and make new ones.  The point was that RW fought to keep their femininity, whereas AW fought to rid themselves of theirs.

KenC
You are a den of vipers and thieves-Andrew Jackson on banks
Banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies-Thomas Jefferson

Offline jb

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
FSU women
« Reply #54 on: August 04, 2005, 03:57:45 AM »
The point was that RW fought to keep their femininity, whereas AW fought to rid themselves of theirs.

Good point, I suspect it may be true, Russian women have always tried to look nice whenever they leave the house.  However, the ultra-feminine clothes and full make-up is a bit of a stretch.  Clothing of any kind was in short supply up until 12-15 years ago, and full make-up was non-existent.  My wife tells me that if she had a single tube of lipstick, she considered herself rich.  Now she has a drawer full and still shops for more.  The same thing applies to underwear and hosery, the bras and panties that she could buy, if and when she could find them, were very basic and not very sexy, now she's like a kid in a candy store whenever we go to the mall and she see's the Victoria's Secret store.

In most regards, she's very much like any woman about these things.  WRT shoes, I often tease her by calling her "Imelda", in the years she's been here, (I just went and counted them), she has accumulated 31 pairs of shoes.  When I first met her she had maybe 3 or 4 pairs of good shoes.

« Last Edit: August 04, 2005, 04:40:00 AM by jb »

Offline ConnerVT

FSU women
« Reply #55 on: August 04, 2005, 05:24:14 AM »
Quote from: jb
In most regards, she's very much like any woman about these things. WRT shoes, I often tease her by calling her "Imelda", in the years she's been here, (I just went and counted them), she has accumulated 31 pairs of shoes. When I first met her she had maybe 3 or 4 pairs of good shoes.

I'm waiting for the day my wife changes her homepage to www.zappos.com... :shock:

Offline PeeWee

FSU women
« Reply #56 on: August 04, 2005, 08:17:29 PM »
Quote from: EVU
Washington state (thank God)

North of seattle.

Ok, thanks. We are near one another then. I am south of Seattle, near the airport.

PeeWee

Offline PeeWee

FSU women
« Reply #57 on: August 04, 2005, 08:23:27 PM »
Quote from: KenC
jb,

My ideas came from my MIL and not my wife.  "Going out" may have not included discos, but a stroll downtown to meet up with friends and make new ones.  The point was that RW fought to keep their femininity, whereas AW fought to rid themselves of theirs.

KenC

Yep, is one of the reasons that I went East. There are a few feminine AW left. I don't know where they are but they are out there.

PeeWee

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8884
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541335
Total Topics: 20861
Most Online Today: 2843