It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: hotel refunds  (Read 24641 times)

Offline Daveman

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: > 10
Re: hotel refunds
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2010, 04:21:45 PM »
A lot of this doesn't add up... where did you find/meet her?
The duty of a true patriot is to protect his country from its government. -- Thomas Paine

Offline kievstar

« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2010, 04:30:39 PM »
She did not pay for an apartment in Kiev if she lives in Dnepro.  I doubt she left her two children alone and traveled and paid for apartment.  She is taking you for a ride.  Your gut feeling is she is a scammer go with it.  I agree.

I am going to give you some advice.  Sign up for one of Jack's tours and learn how this process works.  Tour is a great way for a man to get his feet wet. 

You did the right thing to discuss this on the board. 

Offline Rubicon

• Banned Member
  • Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2010, 04:47:06 PM »
at most send her $55.00 which would be deposit for one day.  either that or send her nothing.  you told her you would make the arrangements and she decided to do it for you.  that smells very fishy.  be done with her.

Offline SMS60

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: No Selection
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2010, 04:54:23 PM »
What an amazing women. For 6 months she was planning for him to cancel 8 days before he was to arrive to. Remarkable. I want to take her to Vegas.

I think she feels scorned and wants revenge.
Quote from: Simoni on Today at 09:06:15 AM
But my understanding is that "Anything Goes" does not really mean "anything" if that "anything" violates the TOS.

Offline groovlstk

• Spouse's Country: Russia
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2010, 05:12:13 PM »
I'm flabbergasted at some of the situations I read about here. The people who wrote episodes for Macgyver wouldn't have even dreamed of putting him in such an impossible situation.  :cluebat:

To the OP: you spent 6 months Skyping with this woman 4-5 times per week and you don't even know her basic schedule of work and caring for her children?

If she's a scammer and waited 6 months to work her way up to the asking-for-money part, she sure is a shy one. ;D

FWIW, I've been to Dnepr more times than I care to recall, and even on a Westerner's salary -- a Westerner who is already used to living in a big city, btw -- it would be a challenging place to live.

Offline 10bdub

« Reply #30 on: August 17, 2010, 05:35:27 PM »
yes, i agree with you.

Offline GQBlues

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2010, 05:46:17 PM »
The OP said he told her he'll be paying for the apartment when he arrived in Kiev. She lives in Dnep and the meeting point is in Kiev. Did he reserved the place himself, or did the woman? They're both relatively a distance away from Kiev.

The OP, in essence, arranged to meet a woman in Kiev WITHOUT any pre-arranged place to stay in if in fact she was kept from having to pay for any type of reservation.

*so humor me...*

Maybe if we can't get the woman's side of the story, the OP can gracefully scan us a paid plane ticket to Kiev, either a paper ticket or an online receipt/e-ticket as presumably he already have one being one week away from departure (Which I'm sure he had to cancel since he can't make the trip because of his allergy attack).

What do you folks think?
Quote from: msmob
1. Because of 'man', global warming is causing desert and arid areas to suffer long, dry spell.
2. The 2018 Camp Fire and Woolsey California wildfires are forests burning because of global warming.
3. N95 mask will choke you dead after 30 min. of use.

Offline Daveman

« Reply #32 on: August 17, 2010, 08:47:14 PM »

What do you folks think?

Same thought as before.. this just doesn't add up...  ;D
The duty of a true patriot is to protect his country from its government. -- Thomas Paine

Online Faux Pas

« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2010, 08:51:51 PM »

What do you folks think?

Unchanged. Dude is being had. Although after 6 months of communique one might think they would have communicated much more clearly than this, yanno?

Offline daveyj

« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2010, 09:16:13 PM »
Scam. 

If the owner wanted nonrefundable payment they would have asked for it up front and no way she paid the $600 for the apartment.

But I'm not saying that she was planning on scamming you from the beginning.  Probably she is upset that you cancelled at the last minute, and figures she'll extract some cash from you. 
Before you give any credibility to any criticism or advice you receive here, read the poster's prior 20 posts and consider accordingly.

Offline facetrock

• Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2010, 09:23:28 PM »
  If it would have been me I would have sent her 30 bucks to go buy a cam. I really doubted she paid for the flat since she lives in Dnep and the flat was in Kiev.
   Did she tell you before you were supposed to arrive that she would pay for the flat or just reserve it? There were some red flags there and you knew it before hand but pressed on anyway. When things dont add up bad things happen.

Offline GQBlues

« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2010, 09:42:42 PM »
I only hope this woman didn't involve her father in arranging for their accommodation in Kiev relying solely on his word that he'll pay for the place once he touched ground. If this is true, then as a mother of 2, will she feel compelled to somehow reimburse her father for whatever the damage this cost? Or stick him with the loss?

6 months of correspondence at 4-5 times per week and hours each time seem like a whole lot of talk-time to me just to dispose of her like a used rag, worst, label her a scammer. Being oh-so-close to a planned arrival time - which HE cancelled - and not have any type of accommodation set (had no idea monies had to be placed to insure accommodation in a location that is a distance away for both of them? Gimme a break!) is just too hard for me to believe. If he isn't paying until he arrived, and if he didn't know anything about monies being placed to reserve a place - how did he know there'll be a place waiting for him/them when he/they get to Kiev a week away from his supposed departure?

Then in the same thread inquires about the possibility of going to Kiev on a language teaching mode and asked for some info and contacts. Callous at best.

This one is as a big as a rock it'll cast shadows before making impact.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 09:44:16 PM by GQBlues »
1. Because of 'man', global warming is causing desert and arid areas to suffer long, dry spell.
2. The 2018 Camp Fire and Woolsey California wildfires are forests burning because of global warming.

Offline Boethius

« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2010, 10:11:29 PM »
GQ, my husband said this is a scam.  He said she was cutting her losses.  He also said Western Union is no longer in Ukraine, though they use an agent - a small Ukrainian bank that is currently under investigation for fraud.

Her father is 2 hours out of Kiev.  That's almost halfway to Dnepropetrovsk, could be in Belarus, in Southern Ukraine, or in Russia.
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline ECOCKS

• To those who deserve it, good luck.
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2010, 10:23:27 PM »
My gut feel, based on what we know, is that she was playing him.

I don't even see a wildcard on the 6 months of conversations. Some "scams" involve milking the cow patiently with several cuts rather than just going for the big throat slashing. He needed a quick decision and told us basic facts and answered a couple of questions. We gave him the feedback we could come up with and he had to gauge the advice against his feelings and impressions.

Too many things just don't seem right in this. The distances, the money, timing, no cam, funny "work" hours, so on and so on. So, he made some mistakes, maybe he's a bit naive. He'd been once and that apparently didn't work out either.

Could I be wrong? Sure. However, those of us that are cautious risk losing some opportunities in order to lower the risk of getting taken. He says he didn't ask her to do the apartment and that she refuses to accept a reschedule.

He's not the first guy to get here after a couple of hard knocks from bad judgment calls and learning how this process works.

He's a great case study either way in why the Commandments are so important to be understood regarding communications and money.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 11:48:50 PM by ECOCKS »
Pick and choose carefully among the advice offered and consider the source carefully. PM, Skype or email if you care to chat or discuss

Offline Gylden

« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2010, 11:36:45 PM »
Scorned woman (making up the story about the money spent), not necessarily a scammer, but just the same not worth further pursuit. Time to move on.

IMO

Offline BC

« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2010, 11:54:36 PM »
Under the conditions described, wouldn't there be an effort to reschedule?  Airline tickets, visa?, now the apartment...

I know a sinus infection can be a real pain, but flying actually helps get the 'gunk' out.

Offline GQBlues

« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2010, 11:57:12 PM »
"Hold her steady....steady...der' she goes..." I'm holding steady on this one...

One week prior to departure: no tix, no place to stay (hotel? Apartment? Yah mean he didn't know? One week before departure? Really? You kiddin' me, right?), oh-where-oh-where will I stay? so ask the man in those blue suede shoes... technically 6 months planning (really?)...

He: Flake, make that a double!
She: Scammer? nope..Scorned: maybe. Likely mightily pi**ed off, too! Why the heck not. Someone had to pay the bills but only one is left on the table.

Steady boys....
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 12:01:48 AM by GQBlues »

Offline GQBlues

« Reply #42 on: August 18, 2010, 12:00:28 AM »
He also said Western Union is no longer in Ukraine (...)

You are so, so close Boethius. She very likely knows that though I doubt he does...  

here is an update.  I have spent the last hour talking with this lady.  ***She continues to ask me to send her money through Western Union.***  I have told her many times I will not go through Western Union.

;)
« Last Edit: August 18, 2010, 12:23:08 AM by GQBlues »

Offline Gylden

« Reply #43 on: August 18, 2010, 12:06:42 AM »
Under the conditions described, wouldn't there be an effort to reschedule?  Airline tickets, visa?, now the apartment...

I know a sinus infection can be a real pain, but flying actually helps get the 'gunk' out.

I had much the same thoughts. Earlier in my life I had plenty of sinus infections and while they are a PITA never slowed me down for anything.

Offline BC

« Reply #44 on: August 18, 2010, 01:58:29 AM »
I had much the same thoughts. Earlier in my life I had plenty of sinus infections and while they are a PITA never slowed me down for anything.

They can make you miserable, but the negative (relative) air pressure and fast changes during takeoff and landing helped dislodge the mucous plug.  This happened a couple times with me, enough to catch the trend.  Were business trips, but you gotta do whatcha gotta do and a trip to FSU is one of those.  A good RW would probably understand, especially if forewarned.  She might even appreciate the visit even more and show off her nursing skills.

As a health professional, would think the OP has access to the best of meds.. enough to at least make the trip tolerable.  Even salt water helps a lot.

I'm not a rocket scientist, but from the info at hand some things aren't adding up quite right.

Offline GQBlues

« Reply #45 on: August 18, 2010, 07:51:03 AM »
Salt water is great! Especially if the water is lukewarm. But if you want to go in style, Omnaris is only 11 bucks and darn effective. 11 bucks and none of this would have happened.

Offline kievstar

« Reply #46 on: August 18, 2010, 08:07:24 AM »
Western Union still works in Ukraine we did one yesterday as we had to pay a vendor.  I checked with accounting and it went through and vendor got money.  We use a shaky logistic company out of Donetsk and they like payment via Western Union.  

Offline groovlstk

« Reply #47 on: August 18, 2010, 08:34:28 AM »
6 months of correspondence at 4-5 times per week and hours each time seem like a whole lot of talk-time to me just to dispose of her like a used rag, worst, label her a scammer.

This bothers me too, and unfortunately for the OP and most posters here the only real issue is whether or not she's scamming him.

Being oh-so-close to a planned arrival time - which HE cancelled - and not have any type of accommodation set (had no idea monies had to be placed to insure accommodation in a location that is a distance away for both of them? Gimme a break!) is just too hard for me to believe. If he isn't paying until he arrived, and if he didn't know anything about monies being placed to reserve a place - how did he know there'll be a place waiting for him/them when he/they get to Kiev a week away from his supposed departure?

Then in the same thread inquires about the possibility of going to Kiev on a language teaching mode and asked for some info and contacts. Callous at best.

This one is as a big as a rock it'll cast shadows before making impact.

On another board there is an infamous thread containing photos and names of keyboard romeos who discover they have cancer the day before their trip, or learn that dear grandma passed while waiting in the departure lounge. The OP's last-minute cancellation is far from uncommon and any woman who has spent a little time in the "international dating" arena knows that at this point the relationship is dead -- if there was even one to begin with.

It's funny how when guys travel on WMVMs there are inevitably women who are no-shows or who cancel just before the proposed meeting, the immediate assumption is that they were scammers or had local BFs or were meeting other Westerners who were arriving that weekend. Maybe they all just had sinus infections.

Offline Boethius

« Reply #48 on: August 18, 2010, 09:11:56 AM »
Western Union still works in Ukraine we did one yesterday as we had to pay a vendor.  I checked with accounting and it went through and vendor got money.  We use a shaky logistic company out of Donetsk and they like payment via Western Union. 

Read what I posted.  WU uses a Ukrainian agent that is currently under investigation.
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline OlgaH

« Reply #49 on: August 18, 2010, 10:21:07 AM »
Scorned woman (making up the story about the money spent), not necessarily a scammer, but just the same not worth further pursuit. Time to move on.

IMO

Gylden
I agree.  Some people just try to take advantage of situation.

My friend had to take sometimes more than a week off work. She had fewer, headache, facial and ear pressure, bad breath and cough, the colored nasal discharge sometimes dripping spontaneously also not a pretty sight either.   

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541002
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 11
Guests: 1863
Total: 1874

+-Recent Posts

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 09:47:10 AM

What to do by 2tallbill
Today at 09:37:41 AM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by 2tallbill
Today at 09:18:17 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 07:00:25 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Brillynt
Today at 06:16:36 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:20:42 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 09:12:54 PM

Yesterday at 09:02:12 PM

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 08:45:42 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 07:59:27 PM