It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Summer/Fall trip to Ukriane  (Read 50429 times)

Online Hammer2722

• Spouse's Country: Belarus
  • Trips: 4 - 10
Re: Summer/Fall trip to Ukriane
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2012, 08:05:58 AM »
Great post Doug. Great to see that you are approaching this in a realistic way. I think this will be a great trip for you overall if you continue exactly as you planned it. Hey, a few pics of some of the sights wont' hurt either.  :clapping:
every ship can be a minesweeper at least once...

Offline JayH

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2012, 03:29:29 PM »
I dont think 38 is too young--and I dont know how old you are,dont care either.If you pass all the hurdle--do it. Look at it this way--even if she was 50% your age now-- she will be 75% by the time you reach 100!!!!! :)

Important!!  Using computer to translate is great-- and I have found it a lot of fun.
You need to have mobile wi fi--it makes everything so much easier. If you look for "LIFE"   mobile phone store-- there will one close to you--- but a wi fi dongle and internet access--- dongle is about $35   and  300grv gets you a lot of access--so cheap to use.  This will give you net access from anywhere--all the time.Far superior than finding hotspots--- and much safer and secure.
     You can top up money for access very easily--look at website to do it--it has Eng option and is easy to use site.I also have mobile on this network--incedentally-- the sim for dongle can also be used to make phone calls and has its own ph number-- so you could get away with one-- not as convenient as having them separate.
SLAVA UKRAYINI  ! HEROYAM SLAVA!!!!
Слава Украине! Слава героям слава!Слава Україні! Слава героям!
 translated as: Glory to Ukraine! Glory to the heroes!!!  is a Ukrainian greeting slogan being used now all over Ukraine to signify support for a free independent Ukraine

Offline Jumper

« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2012, 03:44:57 PM »
She is only 38 and much to young for me for marriage, but a real pleasant person to be with.  No rude remarks, very polite, smiles a lot, and seems to be happy.  If only I can find that in women in their 40's and 50's.  LOL

you can , i'm sure of it.
At least in my experience this is a typical Ukrainian woman.
Others who find different , I  often wonder what country they visited ;)

I can see why you'd think her too young to marry.. does she
know this concern and that it's *just friends*?

Good luck on your trip!

Offline calmissile

« Reply #28 on: September 21, 2012, 06:39:58 AM »
I dont think 38 is too young--and I dont know how old you are,dont care either.If you pass all the hurdle--do it. Look at it this way--even if she was 50% your age now-- she will be 75% by the time you reach 100!!!!! :)

Important!!  Using computer to translate is great-- and I have found it a lot of fun.
You need to have mobile wi fi--it makes everything so much easier. If you look for "LIFE"   mobile phone store-- there will one close to you--- but a wi fi dongle and internet access--- dongle is about $35   and  300grv gets you a lot of access--so cheap to use.  This will give you net access from anywhere--all the time.Far superior than finding hotspots--- and much safer and secure.
     You can top up money for access very easily--look at website to do it--it has Eng option and is easy to use site.I also have mobile on this network--incedentally-- the sim for dongle can also be used to make phone calls and has its own ph number-- so you could get away with one-- not as convenient as having them separate.

Jay, I ended up getting a Kievstar phone modem for my phone.  I purchased the more expensive 'high speed' option.  The gal behind the counter was the typical merchant that appears they could care less is you are there.  Also acted annyoed that I asked any questions.  LOL.   I was told by my hosts that Kievstar is the only network that works at the dacha, so it sounded like the correct solution.  The nework connection was nearly useless.  In fact dial-up service is much faster.  I would hate to see what the 'low speed' option might have been like.  LOL
Doug (Calmissile)

Offline calmissile

« Reply #29 on: September 21, 2012, 08:17:17 AM »
It is time for the bus trip from Kiev to Cherkassy.  Val picked me up at the apartment and drove me to the central bus station.  I was surprised how far it is from Independence Square.  Along the way I would see signs indicating "Central Bus Terminal".  We finally arrived at the bus terminal.  What a shock!  I don't even remember seeing a building.  Just a parking lot with a bunch of buses parked there.  I guess it was similar to the response I had last year flying into Borispol Airport in Kiev.

At any rate Val got me on the right bus and told me it was the last stop in Cherkassy so I would not have a problem figuring out where to get off.  So pack like sardines into the minibus and off we go.  I was told by Val that it is a 2 hour ride, but in reality it is more like 3 hours.  My Galaxy 2 Tablet has GPS and I downloaded a Ukrainian map, so it was intersting to ride along and follow the trip on the Map/GPS.   For those not familiar with the Samsung Galaxy 2 tablet, I am really impressed with it.  The battery life is exceptional and since it is Android there are thousands of free or almost free applications.

About 2/3 the way to Cherkassy we stopped at a rest stop with a small market and restaurant.  I inquired of the driver where the toilet is and he pointed to a little outhouse behind the restaurant.  I had noticed a few women walking back and forth to the outhouse, but did not know if it was for men and women since I had not seen any men use it.  After waiting a few minutes, a women came out and I headed down the path.  This is one of Ukraine's finest!!  A grated steel floor in a tiny structure with a hole in the floor.  There was pee all over the floor.  Fortunately I only had to pee, as I can remember the horror of using these public restrooms last year.  Balancing myself without falling over while searching for the toilet paper is a challenge I have not yet mastered.  LOL

Val  had called my friends in Cherkassy before I left Kiev and told them of my arrival time and which stop I would arrive at.  Just as planned, when we pulled into the parking lot my friends had already recognized me on the bus and were waving.

This is probably the best place to introduce the cast of characters that will be in my reports over the next couple of weeks.

Andrew and Elena  -  My friends that live in Cherkassy I met last year via my former fiance. We stayed in touch after I left Ukraine last year, and they invited me to stay with them anytime I come to Ukraine.  Andrew is a retired Ukraine Border Patrol officer and is currently working part time for a security company.  He guards corn fields 24/7 to prevent thieves from stealing the corn to feed their farm animals.  They live in military housing on a military base south of Cherkassy called Ukrainian Border Patrol Training Center.  Apparently his retirement provides them housing but no flats are available off base.  I am told grain in very expensive to purchase for farms, hence the theft problem.  Andrew and Elena are about 40 yrs I think.

Elena is a housewife and has a part time beauty business in their flat.
Maria (19) is the oldest daughter and is in the first year of college in Cherkassy.
Dasha (13) is the younger daughter and goes to primary school (GR 1-9) about 100 yards from the flat.

Roman and Kate -
Kate is 28 and is the niece of Elena and lives in the flat with her boyfriend Roman.  They are looking to move into a flat of their own soon.  Roman is a Major (officer) at the Border Patrol Center and recently met Kate.

Julia1 - A beautiful 19 year of blond in her 3rd year at the university in Cherkassy.  Julia1 is the daughter of one of Andrew's  army buddies.  She is fluent in English.  Andrew and Elena had made arrangements for her to by my companion and translator.  It was a surprise to me.... a pleasant surprise.  She is not like most 19 year old women.  She seem to be more like 35 in her mannerisms and life experience.  She had lived in South Africa for 3 years when her father was assigned to the Ukraine embassy.  She not only knows English very well, she knows life very well.

Julia2 - 38 year old beautiful blond that is a girlfriend of Elena and lives in Donetsk.  Much more about her later.  Some photos will follow.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 08:25:36 AM by calmissile »
Doug (Calmissile)

Online Hammer2722

« Reply #30 on: September 21, 2012, 08:33:10 AM »
Great post Doug! Looking forward to reading more and the pics!!!!  :clapping:

Offline ML

« Reply #31 on: September 21, 2012, 09:02:00 AM »
OK, I count 6 females that you mentioned in your cast of characters.

How many does it take to constitute a harem?

Anyway, nice write-up Cal.   :)
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline calmissile

« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2012, 03:39:43 AM »
Trip to the dacha---
Julia1 is an interesting woman to talk to.  In order to take 3 days out of school she had to fake an illness.  She had to get a doctors notice.  In order to get it she drank vodka which reddened her throat.  Apparently, the doctors are wise to this excuse and asked her if she had drank vodka recently.  She told him no...wink wink.

I also learned that everyone that gets good grades in school through grade 11, and passes an entrance exam get a government grant for college.  The school also has a penalty for missing class.  Julia had to pay 100 grivna per day for missing class.  I assume that is to reimburse the college for loss of grant money for days missed.

I have had a very bad head cold ever since I left the USA.  Sinuses draining constantly and coughing due to mucus in throat.  Andrew said that I need to use the age old Ukrainian cure...... lots of Vodka and sweat when sleeping.  I guess it is worth a try.

As we left the bus station in Cherkassy, I noticed that Andrew was driving through a lot of back alleys and narrow streets.  Finally we ended up on a dirt street and stopped.  I had no idea why. Andrew got out and went into a residence.   A few minutes later I could hear him putting something in the trunk.  I had no idea what it was.  We then drove to the base and military housing.  We had not discussed where I would be staying.  They took me to their flat and unpacked and told me we would go to the dacha the following day.  Once we unpacked, we ended up in the kitchen and it is here I learned why we stopped in Cherkassy.  Andrew had purchased 8 liters of Vodka, apparently from a bootlegger because it was all in used plastic bottles (water bottles, etc.)

While getting settled in the flat, Julie1 came over and was introduced to me.  What a doll!  Elena announced that Julia1 would be going to the dacha with us to translate and be company for me.  I also got to meet Kate and Roman.  It's amazing how 7 of us can live and sleep in a 2 room flat, but it can be done.

The following day we stopped for groceries and off to the dacha we went.  Andrew brought 6 of the 8 liters of vodka since it is quite a distance to the closest store. Upon arrival at the dacha I noticed several improvements Andrew had made since last year.  Last year we had to hike down a hill in order to get water from the well.  Also, there was no outhouse and your bathroom tools was a shovel and t.p.  He built a nice outhouse and additionally reactivated an old well by the house and installed an electric pump.  I also noticed that the garden was expanded a great deal, probably because he now had water to irrigate it.

We had 3 days of relaxation and a wonderful time.  Julia1 was a very joy to be with.  Her English is near perfect.  She gave me an assignment.  Find her a good American man up to age 33.  LOL.
What an incredible figure these women have.  Not skinny, but beautifully developed and healthy looking.

The women prepared meals, almost entirely from the garden at the dacha.  One of the fascinating things about the dacha is a fireplace/oven/stove combination made out of brick.  Above the unit is a space for two people to sleep.  In the evening Andrew builds a fire in the fireplace and within a half hour the bedspace above it is warm and toasty.  Last year there were cans, boxes, etc piled up in front of the entrance to the bed and you had to climb over them to get up to the bed.  Fortunately, this year it had all been cleaned and it was a safe journey to the top.  As some of you might remember, last year I had to pee in the middle of the night and came crashing down to the floor spreading the boxes and junk everywhere.  This year was safe.

There was a dacha for sale next door to Andrews last year.  I failed to act on it after returning to America and it has already been sold.  Andrew showed me two other that are for sale, but I was not interested in them at the moment.  FWIW..  These are homes that were once houses in the local village and were abandoned when the village folks migrated to the cities.  Most of them have been left in serious disrepair and require a lot of work to make liveable.  Nearly all of them have electricity and a well on the property.  Even though the condition of the homes are very poor in most cases, the price is very inexpensive. The 2 that are for sale plus the one I liked that was sold went for $1500 - $3000.

Ukrainians have a passion if not an obsession for mushroom picking in the forests.  This trip was no exception.  We went out daily to pick mushrooms.

Having the interpreter with us this time allowed Andrew and Elana and I to communicate about a lot of things we could not on my earlier trip.  One interesting thing I learned is that about 20 years ago, the river was very wide and large boats would sail up and down it.  What now is a large dry valley was once the river/lake.  Andrews dacha is on the edge of a plateau and you look over the large valley.  He explained that many years ago, the bottom of his property was the river bank.  The old well at the bottom of the hill has water up to the surface.

In the house there were a lot of old spent rifle shells.  Andrew found them while digging in his garden.  He gave me one to take home.  My next large gift in the coming year might be a metal detector for Andrew.  He says that a lot of artifacts from the previous battles are to be found in the ground nearby.

I will post a number of photos.  I assume that most of them are self explanatory, and will answer questions anyone has.

Doug (Calmissile)

Offline calmissile

« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2012, 05:26:07 AM »
More photos from dacha
Doug (Calmissile)

Offline Doll

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: No Selection
« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2012, 06:43:59 AM »
As I said, I told them we could only have initial meetings during working hours weekdays.  Most everyone in any job can take time off if they really want to meet someone.  Yes, it is a burden on them, but you are the one who has traveled thousands of miles and living out of a suitcase, so you have still put more effort into it than they will.

And yes, after the weekday meetings, when the screening starts narrowing it down, then I spend weekends with those ladies.  But no weekdays . . . then no weekends either.

Don't lose sight of fact that we are the ones in short supply; not them.
Та ну щас!
They MUST meet you!Haha Like I like to say, stay where you are, boss around local ladies and save money on a suitcase.
They work! Do you know what it is? You are om vacations and they work.
They don't owe you anything.
As for short supply, then you think too good about AM.
 :crackwhip:
I am smelling control freak and super  American boy,
 Та щас!

Offline Doll

« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2012, 06:58:13 AM »
Guys, Cal is 69 years old! 38 to girl for him is crazy. 50+ is my sentense  ;D

Offline BillyB

« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2012, 07:33:22 AM »

All in all, I feel that this was a successful platonic date.  My intent was to come on vacation and enjoy the culture without any expectations of marriage.  L. is a very friendly personality.  She is so much different than my  previous experiences with older women.  She is only 38 and much to young for me for marriage, but a real pleasant person to be with.  No rude remarks, very polite, smiles a lot, and seems to be happy.  If only I can find that in women in their 40's and 50's.

Great trip report Doug but what inspired you to decide to skype and visit a woman out of your age requirements for marriage? Although you are just visiting as friends first which is excellent strategy for doing a WMVM, some of those women will be very serious and it's important that you've told them ahead of time you are just visiting as friends.

L's actions told me she's serious and wanting to be more than just friends. You have to determine if her actions are sincere. L wants to see you when you come back. It's been some weeks since your wrote about L and I don't know where you're at until the rest of story unfolds but if you haven't gone back to Kiev yet I recommend not visiting L as she may get more attatched to you unless you change your mind and consider a serious relationship with her.
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Online Hammer2722

« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2012, 07:40:11 AM »
Great pics Doug. Is the shed with the tank on top the shower shed?

Offline calmissile

« Reply #38 on: September 23, 2012, 07:44:44 AM »
Great pics Doug. Is the shed with the tank on top the shower shed?

Yes, you figured that out right away.  LOL.  They still had to heat the water on the stove before pouring it into the tank.
Doug (Calmissile)

Offline calmissile

« Reply #39 on: September 23, 2012, 07:49:31 AM »
Off to the night club Ultra--
We decided to celebrate Saturday night at the Club Ultra.  I was told by the interpreter that it is owned by a singer and performer that we were watching on television.  It is the same club that we went to last year.  Fortunately, I did not have a spill on the dance floor this time.  LOL

Andrew had to leave town for work on Friday, so left Roman and myself with all the women.  LOL

The group photo of us sitting in the booth consist of (L-R) Kate, Roman, Julia1, myself, Maria, Maria's Girlfriend

The dancing is in a separate room downstairs.  Some of the photos show local guys hitting on the two young gals in our group.

The hours of the club are 1200 Hrs to 0400 Hrs.  It was intersting to note that the crowd does not show up until about 2300 Hrs.  I asked Julie why that is the case, and she said that most people drink at home and then come out later.

This Ukraine vodka is the smoothest I have ever drank. It also seems to leave you without a hangover the next day.

The cost for the evening was about 1200 grivna. which included the cover charges, several bottles of vodka, the food, and the juices.  This is the first club I have been to where you can order a bottle of liquor instead of paying by the drink.  It was also nice to have the juices to drink between toasts.  The price of the vodka (.5 liter) is 60 grivna in the club and is about 35 grivna in the store.

At  0100 Hrs there is an erotic show performance that was quite entertaining.  The performers pull men and women out of the audience for some erotic entertainment.  Anyone coming to Cherkassy should definitely go to the club on a Friday or Saturday night.
Doug (Calmissile)

Offline ML

« Reply #40 on: September 23, 2012, 07:52:34 AM »
Та ну щас!
They MUST meet you!Haha Like I like to say, stay where you are, boss around local ladies and save money on a suitcase.
They work! Do you know what it is? You are om vacations and they work.
They don't owe you anything.
As for short supply, then you think too good about AM.
 :crackwhip:
I am smelling control freak and super  American boy,
 Та щас!

Yes Doll, they must.  And I won't stay where I am.  I will travel when I want to  and meet women whenever and where ever I want to.  Yes, I know what work is.  I do and have worked harder than most anyone else I know.  I am not a  control freak.  No one is forced to be with me at any time and no one is forced to do what I want.  I merely state my conditions.  They can state their conditions.  If the desires, possibilities and abilities overlap, then the situations will work.

And most definitely in this situation of WM interacting with FSUW, it is the desireable WM that is in short supply.

Men involved in this should stop thinking about what they should do to cater to the whims of silly women.

Treat the women will respect, care, tenderness, love, etc., but stop taking crap from the women.  Only kiss their ass when it is part of a sex interlude; not  when it is to cater to their whims.   8)
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline ML

« Reply #41 on: September 23, 2012, 08:02:15 AM »
Continued nice TR Doug.  And thanks for taking time to include the pics.  I don't know how you find the time and expertise to do this.

But I agree with what  some others have  said.  Stop contacting and spending  time with any women who do not meet your  criteria regarding age or anything else.  You waste your time and their time.

I always  told my children . . . don't start any interactions (period) with someone who you know up front would not make a desireable and compatible (in any respect) mate.  People start out with these things saying . . . oh it's nothing . . .  we are just going for pizza or whatever.  Next thing you know, some seriousness develops, a pregnancy develops, a marriage happens between two people who are not suited for each other (in any of a hundred ways), or any such scenario you can think  of, etc., etc..  It all starts with that  first silly idea of . . . oh we are just friends. 

Don't let it get started.

Offline Doll

« Reply #42 on: September 23, 2012, 08:23:22 AM »
ML, to me it doesn't smell well when the WM who is on vacations tells me I must do something during my work.
As for "short supply", as soon as you're back to the US you are no longer in short supply. RW figure it out very soon.
BTW, a question: a 69 yo man is looking for a wife. What age range could it be?
I remember I was 43, met 59 yo American and....never saw him again. Too much.
It is 6 years between my husband and I , but he always says he is too old))))
« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 08:25:50 AM by Doll »

Offline calmissile

« Reply #43 on: September 23, 2012, 08:41:05 AM »
Don't worry about the age gap.  I will let the woman decide that issue.  As long as she has all her marbles, I would prefer to take her decision about the subject.  I am leaving my options open and want more experience before making a decision.  I am not the type to lead someone on, so no need to worry about that either.
Doug (Calmissile)

Online Hammer2722

« Reply #44 on: September 23, 2012, 08:42:58 AM »
ML, to me it doesn't smell well when the WM who is on vacations tells me I must do something during my work.
As for "short supply", as soon as you're back to the US you are no longer in short supply. RW figure it out very soon.
BTW, a question: a 69 yo man is looking for a wife. What age range could it be?
I remember I was 43, met 59 yo American and....never saw him again. Too much.
It is 6 years between my husband and I , but he always says he is too old))))

Good questions all. Perhaps they are better posted in a separate thread altogether.

Offline calmissile

« Reply #45 on: September 23, 2012, 08:45:01 AM »
Doll, I would appreciate it if you would take your opinions elsewhere rather than interrupt the TR.
thanks
Doug (Calmissile)

Offline calmissile

« Reply #46 on: September 23, 2012, 08:47:12 AM »
Julia2-----
Elena and the interpreter asked what type of woman I am looking for.  I thought it a little bit strange but went ahead and described the perfect woman.

A short while later, Elena told me that one of her girlfriends in Donetsk wanted to meet me and asked if it was ok with me.  She showed me her photo and of course I said 'sure'.  It is a 14 hour train ride from Donetsk so she would not arrive until the next day.  Elena also indicated that we could get a military hotel room about 1/4 mile away if I wanted to.   She did not have to twist my arm too hard to get me to agree. LOL  The cost of the hotel in only 150 grivna per night (less than $20).

Julie2 was to arrive at 0500 hrs the next morning and Roman asked me if I wanted to go with them to pick her up. I agreed, but the next morning I was sleeping so soundly they just let me sleep and they went to pick her up.  At about 1000 hrs. the dog barked and woke me up.  With one eye open I caught the glimse of a beautiful blond walking past in the hallway.  A few seconds later, she returned and said 'good morning'.  Still groggy, I wondered if I was having a dream.

It was a great couple of days with Julia2.  We slept in the hotel, but spent the days and late into the evenings with the family.  We also went mushroom picking.  Julia2 has a personality much different than any women I have met from FSU.  She is bubbly,  happy, and fun to be with.  She is also intelligent and supports herself and her 14 year old son.

I though we were going for a short walk to pick mushrooms.  What a surprise.  We were gone 3.5 hours. The forest was full of others hunting them also.  This seems to be an obsession with Ukrainians.  The gals in other apartments seem to be out every day as well.

Once we were back home to the flat Irina had a client show up for a manicure and turned the kitchen over to Julia2.  One of the photos shows Julia2 in the kitchen and has everything under control.  I asked her if she is a good cook and she said she is #1 cook.  Watching her take over the kitchen, I can believe it!

I think we brought back about 60 lbs. of mushrooms.  It is difficult to understand how the forest can continue to produce so many mushrooms with everyone out picking them constantly.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 08:51:03 AM by calmissile »
Doug (Calmissile)

Offline calmissile

« Reply #47 on: September 23, 2012, 09:02:37 AM »
Mushroom Picking ------
Some photos of the mushroom picking expedition.  We are located in a large pine forest with very little udercover, so it is fairly easy hiking.  The soil here is very sandy and easy to cultivate plants.
Doug (Calmissile)

Offline Doll

« Reply #48 on: September 23, 2012, 09:18:19 AM »
Doll, I would appreciate it if you would take your opinions elsewhere rather than interrupt the TR.
thanks
I am not (interrupting). Actually, all the members express their opinions, me too.

Offline Doll

« Reply #49 on: September 23, 2012, 09:24:18 AM »
Cal, for your education:
1. you will never (ever) be able to make RW shut up
2.it is a public forum, I am a member of it, so untill banned I will post what and when I want.
Thanks
« Last Edit: September 23, 2012, 09:29:34 AM by Doll »

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8884
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541279
Total Topics: 20859