It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Fleeced at the Border  (Read 6937 times)

Offline jone

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
Fleeced at the Border
« on: August 08, 2017, 12:40:03 PM »
Was talking with PB last night.  She is coming to the US in two weeks.  She already had a Visa from her visit to the US in 2015.  It will be good until 2018.

But when I bought her ticket last night she asked me what address I used when I entered in the destination address on the computer.  When I told her it was mine, she had a small panic attack.  Apparently, the last time she entered the US, the Customs Officials detained her. 

Per her words:  "They thought I was on my way to see a man.  They took me to a room and brought in an interpreter and had me provide my itinerary and my destination.  When I was able to explain that I was there for tourism, they let me go."

Now this is the first I have ever heard of our Customs Officers trying to determine if a woman was flying into the country solely to see a man.  If this is the case, then she was right to panic when she asked if I would give her a hotel reservation.

I was prepared to get her a hotel, anyway, if she would be uncomfortable staying with me, but she says that is not the case.  "Of course I am staying with you."  (I keep telling her I'm Tarzan and am going to throw her over my shoulder and carry her off to the jungle.  - She says, 'you can try'.)

So, I will get a motel, Best Western, and book reservations.  She will have a tourist itinerary including Disney Land and Sea World and a couple of days for lounging on the beach.  This is all to assuage her uncomfortable feelings that she is really coming, this time, to see a man.

Here are my questions:

1.  Has anyone else been stopped at the point of entry for this purpose?

2.  What happens if the Customs Team determines that she really is there to see a man?

3.  I'm thinking that because her passport already has US stamps on it, they will not be as suspicious this trip.  Is that correct?

This wrinkle adds a whole new thought process when bringing a woman over to see you in your country for the first time.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 12:58:03 PM by jone »
Kissing girls is a goodness.  It beats the hell out of card games.  - Robert Heinlein

Offline BdHvA

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: No Selection
Re: Fleeced at the Border
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2017, 01:04:08 PM »
I have heard of stories like this before.

I can only say my wife has never had a problem visiting America making numerous visits. But she has a child and is partner in a business in Kiev. She says once she had more trouble at KBP returning!
Experierence is not what happens to you. It is what you do with what happens to you. A. Huxley

Offline LAman

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2017, 01:53:16 PM »
Fleeced?? Strange word to use Jone. What was taken from her...time... her sanity?

Between your anxiety attacks and your girl's panic attacks...you match very well!! )))lol

It is highly likely your girl will be asked if she came to US to meet a man. What will she say? Tell the truth again or lie this time? Every girl coming to US is taught to never say you are coming to see a man unless on a K-1. The customs official will ask several questions to get an idea what is girl's intentions( a girl that came to see me was asked about visiting her 'boyfriend').......to possibly immigrate. My guess is if a girl says she is coming to see a man the possibility to immigrate is higher. What I don't understand is the length of time the official stamps on the passport for stay in US(up to 3 months). I have heard anywhere from 10 days to 3 months...hit and miss.

Out of curiosity, what city did your girl visit on last US trip? Good luck!!
« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 02:36:37 PM by LAman »
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift

Offline BC

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2017, 01:56:42 PM »
The agents can and often do ask some pointed questions and will dig deeper if necessary if they think that the purpose of the trip does not match the type of visa, which is usually for tourism and business.  'Oh.. why do you have copies of your resume in your bag?' or a polite 'mind if I look at your last phone chats and calls?' Nice facebook page you have.. going to meet your loveliness I see.... he outside waiting for you?'

Haven't been really hassled, but carry enough info at hand like itinerary, some bookings/reservations and tourist site info etc etc when I traveled with my wife or daughter when they had RU passports.

But yeah, they do have the power to put folks on the next flight back if they assess you're coming in for employment or they think you pose an immigration risk.

Wouldn't be paranoid though since she has a record of returning back home, a plausible, close to truth agenda should work fine.

Oh.. another question might be 'how much money do you have?'  always good to have some cash and a credit card.

http://mashable.com/2017/01/31/social-media-information-immigration/

« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 02:08:31 PM by BC »

Offline Steamer

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2017, 03:46:04 PM »
You never ever say that the girl is going to meet her boyfriend because she will never get a visa. Let your girlfriend handle this and you should quit helping. Once she gets flagged she's screwed short of a K1 so shut up. 
Life ain't nothing but a poker game
And no two hands are quite the same
But I never saw a winner that didn't bet

Offline jone

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2017, 04:50:45 PM »
Steamer, you're off your game today.  She already has her visa.  And the comments I've gotten today are VERY constructive. 

1.  Have a basic itinerary that demonstrates tourism activity.  (She is coming on a tourist visa.)

2.  Have demonstrable cash and credit card so that they won't think she is destitute. 

3.  If asked, she is visiting friends, plural, not being picked up at the airport by her one and only.

LA Man, you guessed it.  She was here in LA with a side trip up to Vegas.  The picture I put up of her on the T.R. was at Universal Studios, in Studio City.  (See, you were snoozing.  She was in your neighborhood and you missed her!)

As you can guess by my responses, she is a woman of some means and her son is not coming here on this trip.
Kissing girls is a goodness.  It beats the hell out of card games.  - Robert Heinlein

Offline BillyB

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2017, 06:03:44 PM »

Even if the lady has a tourist visa in hand, it can be terminated and she be banned from getting another one for years if found out she's using the tourist visa for anything other than what it's designed for. Border agents have to show their bosses they are doing a good job so some are looking to do a good job by catching those violating their visas. My MIL was nearly turned around at the airport because she has visited family too often. Fortunately the border agent recognized her and gave her advise. After she leaves America, wait a year before coming back otherwise she risks losing her tourist visa. Your girl and many foreigners know the system better than we do. She's right to play it safe than be sorry.

http://www.h1base.com/content/b1b2visa
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline BC

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2017, 10:23:10 PM »
Some other truthful scenarios:

"What is the purpose of your visit?"
(sparkling look in eyes, huge smile and thumbs up sign) Shopping!!

If she has a business in RU or a hobby, can look for some related convention or event in the area.

"I come here to get ideas good ideas for my store in Russia"

"When I was here last time I didn't get to see the Grand Canyon, I love hiking..  besides that I promised my son I would bring him back some more baseball cards.. Too bad he could not come with me this time.."

If she does not have any follow on flights, arriving directly at the destination airport, a copy of the bus or shuttle schedule/info or rental car booking (easily cancelled)

Offline jone

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2017, 10:57:56 PM »
BC,

Not business related activities on a tourist visa.

Offline BC

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2017, 11:40:07 PM »
Jone,
What class visa does she have?

Usually it's B1/B2 or at least that's what we got..

http://usa.immigrationvisaforms.com/visas/visitor-visa-b1-b2

« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 11:41:39 PM by BC »

Offline jone

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2017, 12:12:02 AM »
It is B1/B2.

Offline BC

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2017, 01:26:27 AM »
Jone,
should be good to go then for a little business involvement as long as it's not actual work.  Conventions, meetings, checking out some new products and business ideas, talking with distributors etc etc.  Anything that doesn't involve employment or compensation.

Offline jone

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2017, 09:05:51 AM »
Thanks, 

We have set up our mutual itinerary that she looks like a tourist, plain and simple.  If they ask if she is going to see her boyfriend, her answer will be that she is meeting up with friends.  (Which is true.)

Your assistance (and the assistance of the forum) in handling this issue has been invaluable.

Thank you to everyone who contributed.

Offline whynotme

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: No Selection
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2017, 05:22:07 PM »
They even may ask her phone or laptop to check personal info.  If they find your correspondence they may send her back plus ban for entrance US for 3 or 5 years.

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541017
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2385
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 10
Guests: 2236
Total: 2246

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 09:57:04 PM

Re: Plumber earnings by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 09:37:55 PM

Plumber earnings by ML
Yesterday at 07:49:26 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 07:23:34 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 06:28:48 PM

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by 2tallbill
Yesterday at 04:48:07 PM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Yesterday at 04:37:18 PM

If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by 2tallbill
Yesterday at 04:17:08 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 02:48:08 PM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Yesterday at 01:09:03 PM