It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: The Struggle For Ukraine  (Read 297939 times)

Offline Admin

• Administrator
  • Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: > 10
The Struggle For Ukraine
« Reply #825 on: March 02, 2022, 10:16:41 AM »

Funny. I hope that made you feel much better. As is always the case, certain caustic post are allowed to remain depending on who posts.
More likely, the most frequent violators of forum guidelines have posts removed more frequently. They, predictably, complain about uneven moderation.

Offline GQBlues

• Trips: None (yet)
The Struggle For Ukraine
« Reply #826 on: March 02, 2022, 10:18:04 AM »
Was watching a lot of reports from the BBC channel yesterday. Mostly regurgitated snippets of videos that's been played over and over again. Half the telecast shows the current plight of the refugees of this war. From Poland to Slovakia to Hungary and even Moldova. With the exception of the latter, I've been to each of those locale.

I am elated to see these nations open their borders widely for these arriving folks, Ukrainians and foreigners alike.

It wasn't too long ago when we witnessed the very same plight of refugees from Syria when that war broke out. Again, many nations opened their borders to welcome these folks.

I am however taken aback when the north African refugees, mostly from Libya, when we invaded and bombed that nation back to stone age, took flight to cross the sea that divide their war torn nation hope to reach Europe and many, if not most, fell to their death in the high seas, or gunned down by paid militants, or stopped at their departure points. Predictably, those moments weren't televised on western media, including the day/night bombing unto oblivion of Libya.

Joe Biden was asked yesterday at the SOTU shindig if he thinks Zelensky should leave Ukraine, to which he responded 'that's Zelensky's decision''. Sleepy Joe is hardly ever right in many of his decisions, but I would agree with him on this one. It is Zelensky's decision. The decision to stay and fight. I watch him everyday, along with the Klitschko brothers, saying the same thing.

One can only marvel at their collective bravery. You just know by watching them what is in their hearts. Misguided as it may be. People used to always say FSU folks are pragmatic folks. I myself laid witness to this at times.

Just not all the time. In the end, IMHO, UKraine matters more than any one, two even 3 persons. But that's just me.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2022, 10:25:01 AM by GQBlues »
Quote from: msmob
1. Because of 'man', global warming is causing desert and arid areas to suffer long, dry spell.
2. The 2018 Camp Fire and Woolsey California wildfires are forests burning because of global warming.
3. N95 mask will choke you dead after 30 min. of use.

Offline GQBlues

The Struggle For Ukraine
« Reply #827 on: March 02, 2022, 10:23:12 AM »
More likely, the most frequent violators of forum guidelines have posts removed more frequently. They, predictably, complain about uneven moderation.

Dan, I wasn't complaining. I simply noted what was evident.
1. Because of 'man', global warming is causing desert and arid areas to suffer long, dry spell.
2. The 2018 Camp Fire and Woolsey California wildfires are forests burning because of global warming.

Offline Admin

• Administrator
The Struggle For Ukraine
« Reply #828 on: March 02, 2022, 10:23:22 AM »
This isn't difficult, AJ.

The core intent of this whole crap is Russian wanting to install a pro-Russian political body over the current one. In a way, just like what happened in 2014. Different method, same objective.

I know this seems so wacky, but given some thoughts, the USA, along with its allies, did exactly that in Libya at far bloodier than what we've seen in Ukraine so far. Heck, we gangbanged Libya (US, Europe, Canada, et al for its oil). The US attempted doing that in Cuba, did it in Iraq, Afghanistan. Succeeded doing exactly that in many So. American nations, etc...Europeans had done exactly that in Africa, Asia, Europe, etc...

Hell, we (US & NATO) bombed Serbia's civilian proper for 75 straight days because we want NATO to take hold in the region, and oust Milosevic at the same time, remember that?

Isn't it funny how certain similar things are perceived differently?

Again, if Zelensky's priority is with the people of Ukraine, make their safe passage out of Kyiv the very top condition in the negotiations, or his ousting in return to Russian army retreating back to Russia. I mean, the Shah left, so this isn't unprecedented. If he exiles himself, along with other politicians deemed anti-Russian, but Ukraine and all of its people can return back in peace, is his 'presidency' really that much more important than Ukraine itself?

Of course, his other option is dying fighting for whatever cause he feels, along with untold number of innocent Ukrainians, and maybe even Ukraine itself.

Just like what the 'west' did in Libya and Qadafi.
Red Text = Appeal to hypocrisy. A tactic used to distract from the central issue. Totally irrelevant in addressing the CURRENT SITUATION.

Blue text = Failure to understand the ideologies in play.

Offline Admin

• Administrator
The Struggle For Ukraine
« Reply #829 on: March 02, 2022, 10:23:46 AM »

Dan, I wasn't complaining. I simply noted what was evident.
As was I.

Offline GQBlues

The Struggle For Ukraine
« Reply #830 on: March 02, 2022, 10:28:04 AM »
Red Text = Appeal to hypocrisy. A tactic used to distract from the central issue. Totally irrelevant in addressing the CURRENT SITUATION.

I don't agree. You have the hypocrisy issue in reverse.

Blue text = Failure to understand the ideologies in play.

What's more ideal than NOT implicating the innocent lives that are at stake in this war? IMHO, this was LARGELY avoidable.

Offline GQBlues

The Struggle For Ukraine
« Reply #831 on: March 02, 2022, 10:28:50 AM »

Offline Admin

• Administrator
The Struggle For Ukraine
« Reply #832 on: March 02, 2022, 10:37:19 AM »

I don't agree. You have the hypocrisy issue in reverse.

What's more ideal than NOT implicating the innocent lives that are at stake in this war? IMHO, this was LARGELY avoidable.

Milosevic has absolutely NOTHING to do with what is happening in Ukraine RIGHT NOW. Libya has absolutely NOTHING to do with what is happening in Ukraine RIGHT NOW. Cuba has absolutely NOTHING to do with what is happening in Ukraine RIGHT NOW.

No, I do not have the "hypocrisy issue in reverse." Apparently you don't recognize your own appeal to hypocrisy to use as a bolster for your argument.

Offline Admin

• Administrator
The Struggle For Ukraine
« Reply #833 on: March 02, 2022, 10:42:55 AM »

I'm elated you agree.
Don't confuse confirmation with agreement.

Offline GQBlues

The Struggle For Ukraine
« Reply #834 on: March 02, 2022, 10:43:52 AM »
Milosevic has absolutely NOTHING to do with what is happening in Ukraine RIGHT NOW. Libya has absolutely NOTHING to do with what is happening in Ukraine RIGHT NOW. Cuba has absolutely NOTHING to do with what is happening in Ukraine RIGHT NOW.

No, I do not have the "hypocrisy issue in reverse." Apparently you don't recognize your own appeal to hypocrisy to use as a bolster for your argument.

Like I said, I disagree with you. The same historical events repeating itself with the same motives, ambitions and cause. I am in fact deeply saddened the current war is happening in Ukraine, as I did when it happened in Libya, Syria, Iraq et al. History repeating itself, and calling it out, is NOT being hypocritical simply because the perpetrators changed side.

Barbarism and evil isn't simply classified on who is pulling the trigger.

Offline GQBlues

The Struggle For Ukraine
« Reply #835 on: March 02, 2022, 10:44:51 AM »
Don't confuse confirmation with agreement.

Then that's simply another one we can agree to disagree on. That's life.

Offline Admin

• Administrator
The Struggle For Ukraine
« Reply #836 on: March 02, 2022, 10:50:11 AM »

Like I said, I disagree with you. The same historical events repeating itself with the same motives, ambitions and cause. I am in fact deeply saddened the current war is happening in Ukraine, as I did when it happened in Libya, Syria, Iraq et al. History repeating itself, and calling it out, is NOT being hypocritical simply because the perpetrators changed side.

Barbarism and evil isn't simply classified on who is pulling the trigger.
Not true. You presented a one-dimensional perspective of past events involving US/West powers that you perceive as evil and present them alongside the current situation in Ukraine. One has nothing to do with the other. Especially when your one-dimensional perspective FAILS to present the CURRENT aggressor and their past events.

Offline GQBlues

The Struggle For Ukraine
« Reply #837 on: March 02, 2022, 11:06:30 AM »
Not true. You presented a one-dimensional perspective of past events involving US/West powers that you perceive as evil and present them alongside the current situation in Ukraine. One has nothing to do with the other. Especially when your one-dimensional perspective FAILS to present the CURRENT aggressor and their past events.

What you seem to dismiss is, whether intentionally or otherwise, the underlying point that I make that 'the politics of war is wrong' regardless on who is behind the trigger. Evil is evil.

It is always the innocent lives in any region or country in these hostilities, whether currently or 10-100 years ago, is and always will be the victims in any of these geo-political BS.

BTW, I did not 'failed' to cite the current aggressor's historical past. I cited Georgia, Chechnya, and if you dig deeper, Cuba, Afghanistan, the Prague spring, etc...the 'west, US, Russia are all one and the same idiots playing goofballs in a sandlot.

« Last Edit: March 02, 2022, 11:10:04 AM by GQBlues »

Offline Admin

• Administrator
The Struggle For Ukraine
« Reply #838 on: March 02, 2022, 11:48:05 AM »

BTW, I did not 'failed' to cite the current aggressor's historical past. I cited Georgia, Chechnya, and if you dig deeper, Cuba, Afghanistan, the Prague spring, etc...the 'west, US, Russia are all one and the same idiots playing goofballs in a sandlot.
As I wrote earlier, you fail to recognize the ideologies in play.

Offline GQBlues

The Struggle For Ukraine
« Reply #839 on: March 02, 2022, 12:16:51 PM »
As I wrote earlier, you fail to recognize the ideologies in play.

I believe Dan, it is you who sees the global geopolitical landscape in a one dimensional lens. I refuse to look at things in a biased selective lens, is all.

Offline fathertime

The Struggle For Ukraine
« Reply #840 on: March 02, 2022, 01:18:20 PM »

I think it all ties in.    The west, more specifically the US has made grabs in the past, more delicately because it often a large block of nations that all chime in.  That was also incorrect to do, nevertheless it is done and now history.  Meanwhile another large power (Russia) is in the midst of brutally doing something not much different.  It will be more brutal perhaps.  It seems if they don't take some large action, they would have another nation sanctioning them at every step of the way, as all the other European nations are.   While the events that are taking place and will be taking place are going to be abhorrent, it is the way the world works nowadays.  Cherry picking which events to condemn and take action on is typical. 

As far as the current situation, It seems Ukraine is going to be more tied to Russia than they would have liked.  It is as much a defensive move as it is offensive.   I think Ukraine would have eventually leaned more and more west, and at some point, when something else was going on, they would have been one of those nations that was sanctioning this or that.  Russia wasn't going to let that happen.   We didn't let it happen in Cuba and were close to nuclear war over it.  That is the way I see it.   

Fathertime! 
I just happened to be browsing about the internet....

Offline Boethius

• Trips: No Selection
The Struggle For Ukraine
« Reply #841 on: March 02, 2022, 01:28:29 PM »
Were Russia democratic, rather than authoritarian, Ukraine would have leaned more to Russia.  Even as late as 2020, Russia was Ukraine's third largest trading partner.  Over 5 million Ukrainian citizens live in Russia.  There are familial ties in both countries going back centuries. 
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline Patagonie

• >25 travels
  • Spouse's Country: Ukraine
The Struggle For Ukraine
« Reply #842 on: March 02, 2022, 01:35:43 PM »
The Russian Federation had scheduled to publish an announcement in the prevision of the victory Saturday. 
And quickly removed it. But some people noticed it.
Here is the summary of the text, among some other information gathered for this 7th day of the war. 

"Je glissais through the paper wall, an angel in the hand, s taboy. I lay on the floor, surgi des chants de Maldoror, je mix l'intégrale de mes nuits de crystal, i belong to the festival.

Offline Admin

• Administrator
The Struggle For Ukraine
« Reply #843 on: March 02, 2022, 01:43:09 PM »
I think it all ties in.    The west, more specifically the US has made grabs in the past, more delicately because it often a large block of nations that all chime in.  That was also incorrect to do, nevertheless it is done and now history.  Meanwhile another large power (Russia) is in the midst of brutally doing something not much different.  It will be more brutal perhaps.  It seems if they don't take some large action, they would have another nation sanctioning them at every step of the way, as all the other European nations are.   While the events that are taking place and will be taking place are going to be abhorrent, it is the way the world works nowadays.  Cherry picking which events to condemn and take action on is typical. 

As far as the current situation, It seems Ukraine is going to be more tied to Russia than they would have liked.  It is as much a defensive move as it is offensive.   I think Ukraine would have eventually leaned more and more west, and at some point, when something else was going on, they would have been one of those nations that was sanctioning this or that.  Russia wasn't going to let that happen.   We didn't let it happen in Cuba and were close to nuclear war over it.  That is the way I see it.   

Fathertime!
Cuba/Russia and Ukraine/US is a false analogy. Whitewashing bold-faced military aggression as "a defensive move" is intellectually dishonest. Explaining an unprovoked assault on a neighboring sovereign nation and its citizenry due to some perceived possible future event such as voting on sanctions is ridiculous.

Offline Admin

• Administrator
The Struggle For Ukraine
« Reply #844 on: March 02, 2022, 01:46:28 PM »

1. I believe Dan, it is you who sees the global geopolitical landscape in a one dimensional lens.
2. I refuse to look at things in a biased selective lens, is all.
1. Believe what you will. The logical inconsistencies in your argument are clear.

2. And yet, you do.

Offline Chelseaboy

• Trips: 1 - 3
The Struggle For Ukraine
« Reply #845 on: March 02, 2022, 01:53:19 PM »

Well said.
Just saying it like it is.

Offline fathertime

The Struggle For Ukraine
« Reply #846 on: March 02, 2022, 02:00:20 PM »
Cuba/Russia and Ukraine/US is a false analogy. 

We could also add in a dozen other aggressive moves that caused death and destruction, often spearheaded by the US.  I think Russia will see their move as similar.   If they do see it that way, I'll have to agree with them.  That is not sanction it, but I do see how they will be able to justify it. 

Fathertime!   
Explaining an unprovoked assault on a neighboring sovereign nation and its citizenry due to some perceived possible future event such as voting on sanctions is ridiculous.

We (The US) sometimes preemptively strike sovereign nations due to a perceived threat.   Russia perceives a threat at some point down the road.    Sanctions can be a form of financial war and that type of war can also cause suffering and or death.  Russia is at a severe disadvantage, so they are going to use what they do have which is seemingly a strong military.   

Fathertime!   

Offline GQBlues

The Struggle For Ukraine
« Reply #847 on: March 02, 2022, 02:09:36 PM »
1. Believe what you will. The logical inconsistencies in your argument are clear.

2. And yet, you do.

You're entitled to an opinion as well as I do. Touche. I stand behind mine, the fallacy is yours.

Offline Jumper1

The Struggle For Ukraine
« Reply #848 on: March 02, 2022, 02:11:46 PM »
FT.
Pray tell explain the future where a nuclear super power that is globally positioned economically and with tons of natural resources, had its citizens in ant eal.threat of change to.thier lives or livelihoods in the foreseeable future from a west leaning Ukraine?

Invading over a  possibility and directly effecting Ukrainian citizens loves and livelihoods is justifiable or not?

Despite all the *noise* this is the crux.

Offline fathertime

The Struggle For Ukraine
« Reply #849 on: March 02, 2022, 02:21:00 PM »
FT.
Pray tell explain the future where a nuclear super power that is globally positioned economically and with tons of natural resources, had its citizens in ant eal.threat of change to.thier lives or livelihoods in the foreseeable future from a west leaning Ukraine?
I have to agree that Russia WAS positioned and about to score big on their resources, and the pipeline was going to help.  I suspect in addition to the issues we do know, there is probably more that we don't know.  Russia was willing to lay it all on the line.  They probably expected a lot of these sanctions.   Even shipping carriers won't deliver or pick up their goods, airspace restricted, assets confiscated abroad.   Another country potentially aligning against them must have been unpalatable.   From what I perceive as their view, I can see why they are taking steps.   US also accomplished one of it's goals to prevent the pipeline from being completed.     

Fathertime!   

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8884
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541425
Total Topics: 20862
Most Online Today: 2422
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 7
Guests: 2278
Total: 2285

+-Recent Posts

Re: Russian/Ukranian women - views on sex before marriage? by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 11:54:55 PM

Re: Hard work -- How can I explain this to my Russian wife? by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 11:43:10 PM

Re: Teenage Sex- RW and their sons by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 11:11:53 PM

Re: international travel by krimster2
Yesterday at 08:36:08 PM

Re: Teenage Sex- RW and their sons by ML
Yesterday at 07:31:53 PM

Re: Russian/Ukranian women - views on sex before marriage? by ML
Yesterday at 07:21:37 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by 2tallbill
Yesterday at 06:56:07 PM

international travel by 2tallbill
Yesterday at 06:52:39 PM

Hard work -- How can I explain this to my Russian wife? by 2tallbill
Yesterday at 06:45:25 PM

Re: Hard work -- How can I explain this to my Russian wife? by krimster2
Yesterday at 06:37:55 PM