It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: What have you done to help the people of Ukraine? 🇺🇦  (Read 6741 times)

Offline John Gaunt

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: > 10
Re: What have you done to help the people of Ukraine? 🇺🇦
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2022, 11:46:27 AM »
Question for those with some knowledge.

I have other family members stuck in their Dacha just outside Kyiv.
Intermittent contact as no electricity. Gas supplies still available. There was fighting  in the area very recently. Today’s been quiet.

I need to get them to the western border. Can’t get back into Kyiv to catch a train( even if they could no guarantee of getting on one) there’s no transport and it’s a good 30km away at least.

So how to head west?
Does anyone know of road evacs happening. I am uncertain if any intercity buses are available.

It’s a tough one. I could probably get to Lviv but heading to Kyiv is probably not an option.

Offline BC

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2022, 12:54:38 PM »
If train Kyiv to Lviv is not possible the only other alternative would be by road.

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2022, 01:32:19 PM »
I would say they need to get the hell out of there tight away JG, on foot if needs be walking very fast away from Kyiv. The Russians are killing people indiscriminately and remorselessly. Getting supplies (drink, food, blankets, money) and heading out on foot away from Kyiv is likely best option I would have thought. Kyiv looks like it will be surrounded in a matter of hours most likely so going into Kyiv and potentially getting stuck in their is likely to be a bad option.

Many journalists have said they have hitched a ride by flagging down or asking passing cars, vans, etc. So could try that. I would basically do whatever it takes to get away from Kyiv if I were them. The Russians are going to be concentrating very heavily on Kyiv so they won't be bothered about going any further into central Ukraine for a while. That gives them the opportunity to get away from it all without going very far. After they have made their way far enough away from Russian forces you could go and pick them up. From the map most of central and western Ukraine are free from Russian forces, not a lot is there for them to be concerned about so they'll likely leave it to last if they find they need to do that at all. That's my advice anyway.

Map below, roughly the current state of affairs.
"If you make your own bread, then and only then, are you a free man unchained and alive living in pooty tang paradise, or say no and live in Incel island with all the others." - Krimster

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2022, 01:36:55 PM »
Trench has been fixing up his house to get boarders.  I wonder if he will open up his home to any Ukrainian refugees.  I doubt they will mind if it's not finished yet.

I would love to but health and safety laws pretty much prohibit it. There's a fair amount of mess around and work still needs doing. While it's not far away from being finished in theory as it is its still not near enough in terms of functionality for family living/multiple persons. It would be like asking someone to live on a building site while work goes on around them and people awkwardly stumble over stuff.
"If you make your own bread, then and only then, are you a free man unchained and alive living in pooty tang paradise, or say no and live in Incel island with all the others." - Krimster

Offline Bee Farmer

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2022, 02:23:05 PM »
I would love to but health and safety laws pretty much prohibit it. There's a fair amount of mess around and work still needs doing. While it's not far away from being finished in theory as it is its still not near enough in terms of functionality for family living/multiple persons. It would be like asking someone to live on a building site while work goes on around them and people awkwardly stumble over stuff.

I assume you have running water and indoor bathroom.

So let me see if I can get this straight...

Option 1
Stay in an apartment building that Russians keep shooting missiles and bombs at.
If they go outside, the Russians shoot them.
Heat/water/electric may not work.

Option 2
Stay in an overcrowded metro tunnel.  Showers are probably non-existent.  No place to cook food.  Who knows how far away bathrooms are.

Option 3
Stay in a house that is being remodeled.  You have running water, a toilet, and you can take a shower.  You don't have to worry about bombs or being shot if you go outside.  You can cook and eat a hot meal.

I don't know about anyone else, but Option 3 sounds a lot better than Option 1 or Option 2.  And if the Grandpa staying with you is a handyman, he might even pitch in and help with the remodel job.

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2022, 02:48:55 PM »
I assume you have running water and indoor bathroom.

So let me see if I can get this straight...

Option 1
Stay in an apartment building that Russians keep shooting missiles and bombs at.
If they go outside, the Russians shoot them.
Heat/water/electric may not work.

Option 2
Stay in an overcrowded metro tunnel.  Showers are probably non-existent.  No place to cook food.  Who knows how far away bathrooms are.

Option 3
Stay in a house that is being remodeled.  You have running water, a toilet, and you can take a shower.  You don't have to worry about bombs or being shot if you go outside.  You can cook and eat a hot meal.

I don't know about anyone else, but Option 3 sounds a lot better than Option 1 or Option 2.  And if the Grandpa staying with you is a handyman, he might even pitch in and help with the remodel job.

I have no bathroom, I'm relocating that downstairs in the small single storey extension I built. I have a bath but it is not fitted in place, plumbed in, etc. I have an en-suite toilet and a small cabinet fridge with a microwave stuck on top that is with me in a bedroom. The other bedrooms are done but no beds just full of building materials and a bit of junk. Hence it's habitable for short stays while I do the work but not longer. So it's both unsuitable for long term stayers at the moment and more than one person. I could in theory of course be personally liable if anything happened to someone.

Think also there is something about them having to have family in the country to be allowed in, something like that.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2022, 03:07:50 PM by Trenchcoat »

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2022, 04:35:39 PM »
Question for those with some knowledge.

I have other family members stuck in their Dacha just outside Kyiv.
Intermittent contact as no electricity. Gas supplies still available. There was fighting  in the area very recently. Today’s been quiet.

I need to get them to the western border. Can’t get back into Kyiv to catch a train( even if they could no guarantee of getting on one) there’s no transport and it’s a good 30km away at least.

So how to head west?
Does anyone know of road evacs happening. I am uncertain if any intercity buses are available.

It’s a tough one. I could probably get to Lviv but heading to Kyiv is probably not an option.

So yeah just to paraphrase what I said above I reckon they would be better off making their way away from Kiev on foot, or cycles if they have them going southwards from Kyiv while there is still time. Now there is a town called 'Fastiv' just a fair bit south, southwest they could try to get to. Odds are that would be fine for you to meet up with them there as likely far enough away from Kyiv and small enough for the Russians not to care to venture there. Agree to show up outside the church/cathedral there at noon say from Wednesday onwards to say Saturday. That should give them plenty of time to get there and a meeting place if they aren't able to contact you, go with that I would.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2022, 04:45:48 PM by Trenchcoat »

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2022, 05:37:47 AM »
Ok guys here's another charity to consider donating to, the Daily Mail have launched their Mail Force - Ukraine Appeal, to help those affected by the war. The Daily Mail is a big British Newspaper that has a lot of clout in spearheading successful charity campaigns:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-10580683/Heres-help-Donate-Mail-Force-Ukraine-Appeal.html

Now I've chipped in a couple of quid already today. My £1 donation to DEC actually doubled to £2 as the government match your donation there. So that brings me to a grand total of £4 donated so far, small I know but if everyone chips in a bit it all helps and adds up. Hopefully not much of that money will be siphoned off in charity directors pay and all of that. I can only hope it gets to where it is needed and but a few bottles of mineral water or whatever.

Things are a bit tight at the moment as costs of finishing of house but that's the realities of life I guess. With a bit of luck I'll be able to stump forward some more donations when money is a bit freer.

The UK has taken in 300 Ukrainian refugee families so far that may not sound to be a lot but we've taken in a lot of people from Hong Kong, illegals from Syria direction and a lot of Polish, etc have come here over the years so if it weren't for all of that I reckon we would be able to open our doors to all Ukrainians I would wager. As it is we're really tight on space here in the UK so we're really restricted by it I think.

Anyway guys, hope the extra info helps, keep coming forward with stuff on this topic, it all helps I'm sure.

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2022, 05:22:52 AM »
Of course it's not all unpaid volunteer work needed to help Ukrainians out, there are also paid ways of helping Ukrainians to. Here is a job advert to help Ukrainians flee the country:

http://www.2oceansvibe.com/2022/03/09/sa-man-making-big-cash-evacuating-families-out-of-ukraine/

They're paying handsomely for it, £30k for someone with the right experience and who is willing. A risky venture but chances of earning good money quicky!

Offline Chelseaboy

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2022, 09:54:29 AM »
Morrisons Supermarkets have tied up with the British Red Cross,where you can round up your shooping bill with the extra going to the Ukraine fund.

You will have noticed it's the Red Cross who are busing people out from their shattered cities.
Just saying it like it is.

Online 2tallbill

• Living the dream
« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2022, 12:29:57 PM »

Now I've chipped in a couple of quid already today. My £1 donation to DEC actually doubled to £2 as the government match your donation there. So that brings me to a grand total of £4 donated so far, small I know but if everyone chips in a bit it all helps and adds up. Hopefully not much of that money will be siphoned off in charity directors pay and all of that. I can only hope it gets to where it is needed and but a few bottles of mineral water or whatever.

" US Congressional leaders reached a bipartisan deal early Wednesday
providing $13.6 billion to help Ukraine and European allies."

http://www.newsmax.com/politics/russia-ukraine-war-spending/2022/03/09/id/1060331/

FSUW are not for entry level daters
FSUW don't do vague
FSUW like a man of action. Be a man of action 
If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane.
There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up
Just kiss the girl, don't ask her first. Tolerate NO excuses!

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2022, 12:57:40 PM »
Morrisons Supermarkets have tied up with the British Red Cross,where you can round up your shooping bill with the extra going to the Ukraine fund.

You will have noticed it's the Red Cross who are busing people out from their shattered cities.

That sounds like a good one CB, means many people can donate a few coppers to help out the cause :)

Not a Morrisons near me but one on the way to Wales so might well pop in there and buy a drink or something and let them round it off.

Offline Chelseaboy

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: 1 - 3
« Reply #37 on: March 14, 2022, 10:02:37 AM »
That sounds like a good one CB, means many people can donate a few coppers to help out the cause :)

Not a Morrisons near me but one on the way to Wales so might well pop in there and buy a drink or something and let them round it off.

My mistake,i shop at both Supermarkets,it's actually Tesco's that are supporting the Red Cross in Ukraine.

My shopping bill with Tesco's today was £6-46 and i was given the option to round it up to £7 to support the Ukraine Red Cross fund,so i clicked yes.
Just saying it like it is.

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2022, 01:10:51 PM »

My mistake,i shop at both Supermarkets,it's actually Tesco's that are supporting the Red Cross in Ukraine.

My shopping bill with Tesco's today was £6-46 and i was given the option to round it up to £7 to support the Ukraine Red Cross fund,so i clicked yes.

Ah, you caught me just in time CB :) Was going to pop in Morrisons tommorow but can change it and go in Tesco's tonight instead, plenty of them around.

Well the British Government's 'Homes for Ukraine' scheme website has opened today. I've just been on there and 'registered an interest' in taking in a Ukrainian refugee. My home is not ready yet as I noted earlier in the thread but the first phase of the scheme is on those with family members, etc. So it's likely to be a while yet and I'm not committed to anything but just to keep updated and see as and when if I'm in a position to move forward on it.

The government are offering £350 a month for up to a year for taking in a refugee. You don't get any more money beyond taking in one refugee so for me that will mean just one refugee in the small single room I've got. Rent of course can't be charged on top, that's free so in effect the government contribution helps to cover rent. That sounds fair to me as they will likely be extra electricity, gas & water used so it sounds reasonable. Just how the Ukrainian refugee is classed in terms of whether they are classed as a renter in terms of HMO status, Rent a room allowance, etc who knows. My guess is that the £350 a month the government are saying they are giving as a thank you may be classed separate as a gift perhaps. Again whether that £350 a month ends up being calculated as being subject to income tax who knows so some questions still outstanding on the Ukraine Homes Scheme I think. The Ukrainian refugee also has to fill out a visa application as standard of course unless they wish to chance it on an inflatable lol. Anyway the link is here is anyone else in the UK is interested in this scheme:

http://homesforukraine.campaign.gov.uk/

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2022, 03:05:35 PM »
Turns out I was one of the first 43,000 that signed up within five hours of the 'Homes for Ukraine' website going live :)

http://news.sky.com/story/ukraine-war-how-uks-refugees-scheme-will-work-how-many-ukrainians-will-come-and-how-you-can-help-12566137

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
« Reply #40 on: March 24, 2022, 05:18:12 AM »
Well finally was able to buy my UK & Ukrainian Desktop Table Flag a couple of days ago :) Fortunately I kept track of the situation as they are now sold out again after just two days! A good indication of the high level of support there is for the plight of Ukraine in the UK I think.

Offline John Gaunt

« Reply #41 on: March 24, 2022, 03:46:09 PM »
Turns out I was one of the first 43,000 that signed up within five hours of the 'Homes for Ukraine' website going live :)

http://news.sky.com/story/ukraine-war-how-uks-refugees-scheme-will-work-how-many-ukrainians-will-come-and-how-you-can-help-12566137
You must have been salivating at the thought of £350 squids in your pocket. Or did you think you’d get to take in a ‘hottie’ and get your leg over for free?

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
« Reply #42 on: March 25, 2022, 04:35:15 PM »
You must have been salivating at the thought of £350 squids in your pocket. Or did you think you’d get to take in a ‘hottie’ and get your leg over for free?

Both actually :D

How did you get in Ukraine Gaunty, were you able to rescue the relatives out there near Kyiv?

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8884
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541463
Total Topics: 20864
Most Online Today: 3254
Most Online Ever: 12701