It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Coronavirus, how are you preparing for it and how it is affecting you so far?  (Read 456100 times)

Offline fathertime

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: > 10
Coronavirus, how are you preparing for it and how it is affecting you so far?
« Reply #1200 on: March 23, 2020, 04:40:55 PM »

I can just imagine certain US citizens refusing to comply because of their 'rights '....

A lot don't believe the virus is that serious, or that god will protect them, or the government is out to grab power.   While the roads are much quieter than normal, there is still a lot of people out and about.  In no way is this an effective quarantine in my opinion.    I think the calculation has been made that the lives lost are an unfortunate yet acceptable price to keep our way of life as close to normal as  possible....rather than make the type of sacrifice that CHina did. 

Fathertime!   
I just happened to be browsing about the internet....

Offline jone

• Spouse's Country: Russia
« Reply #1201 on: March 23, 2020, 04:41:24 PM »
Left my car in Northern California as I have a residence up there.  Thought I might pick up a beater car for down South, here in Los Angeles.   So I go to Craigslist.    OMG!

I have never seen so many cars for sale at ridiculous prices.  Everyone is either trying to get out from under payments or simply needs the extra cash.   I saw at least four cars today that had:  Must sell today at any reasonable price.   Make an offer!  Cannot wait until tomorrow.

I narrowed it down to four, ranging from $2500 to $6400.   Will take a look this evening.  Were I to wait another week, I think sellers would be even more frantic.
Kissing girls is a goodness.  It beats the hell out of card games.  - Robert Heinlein

Offline BillyB

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
« Reply #1202 on: March 23, 2020, 05:05:05 PM »
Trump just finished addressing the nation. He brought up a good point that if he shut down the economy to fight the virus, the "cure" may cause more problems with depression and increased death. His strategy is to fight the virus without a complete shutdown with the goal of losing the least amount of lives and keeping our economy strong.
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Online krimster2

• He/Him
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #1203 on: March 23, 2020, 05:06:33 PM »
do all you rednecks realize how vulnerable your house’s roof is to a simple
little incendiary device thrown on it?

I do!!!!!

and I bet if your roof was on fire, ya'll would all come runnin out, now wouldn't ya?

hahahahaha......

honestly, don't know which group I feel more sorry for...
the hoards of geezers who are gonna die off
or the younger survivors, who lived part of their life in the tranquil, prosperous BC period
and the last part in the AD period, and they usually die from the virus or from some other disease by the time they're 40...
and the GDP of the country they're living in, is only 1/4 of what it once was....
« Last Edit: March 23, 2020, 05:14:07 PM by krimster2 »

Offline jone

« Reply #1204 on: March 23, 2020, 05:10:56 PM »
do all you rednecks realize how vulnerable your house’s roof is to a simple
little incendiary device thrown on it?

I do!!!!!

and I bet if your roof was on fire, ya'll would all come runnin out, now wouldn't ya?

hahahahaha......

Nah.  My roof would never catch on fire.  I have wood shingles.
Kissing girls is a goodness.  It beats the hell out of card games.  - Robert Heinlein

Offline BC

• Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #1205 on: March 23, 2020, 05:20:02 PM »

Were this six weeks down the road, I believe they would have tested me.  Instead, I have self quarantined and go out only for groceries.   

That is not self-quarantine.

Offline jone

« Reply #1206 on: March 23, 2020, 05:23:56 PM »
That is not self-quarantine.
Compared to everyone else I know?   It is by my book.

Online krimster2

• He/Him
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #1207 on: March 23, 2020, 05:30:35 PM »
i have major freakin bunker madness ALREADY....
binged on old 60s/70s TV shows....

tonight I am going to have a premium experience
when it is dark
I am going to slip out the back door
and sneak low through the back yard and garden and into the woods behind my house

my attire...
black socks and nike running shoes
black gym shorts

and head mounted night vision
I have made a lot of hacks to a really cheap night vision device
that was surprisingly similar to the Star-Light Scope I used around 40 years ago in the Army
the star-light was much larger, but the image quality very similar between them
and this device cost less than one tenth of one percent of what the Army's cost

my hacks involve stabilizing and balancing the image tube so its usable while running
with this device I should be able to run through a forest at night at full speed while hardly making a sound

Offline BillyB

« Reply #1208 on: March 23, 2020, 06:03:37 PM »

Washington State governor just issued a Stay at Home order and all non essential businesses to be shut down. Working in construction, I may be able to still work but some jobsites like a community pool I'm working on may be shut down by the city that owns the project. Other private projects may shut down simply because the inspectors may not work.
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline msmob

« Reply #1209 on: March 23, 2020, 06:11:27 PM »
Left my car in Northern California as I have a residence up there.  Thought I might pick up a beater car for down South, here in Los Angeles.   So I go to Craigslist.    OMG!

I have never seen so many cars for sale at ridiculous prices.  Everyone is either trying to get out from under payments or simply needs the extra cash.   I saw at least four cars today that had:  Must sell today at any reasonable price.   Make an offer!  Cannot wait until tomorrow.

I narrowed it down to four, ranging from $2500 to $6400.   Will take a look this evening.  Were I to wait another week, I think sellers would be even more frantic.

Now we are locked down in the UK, it will be interesting to see which policy is going to 'flatten the curve'...

Those hoping to grab a bargain and those understanding that staying at home saves lives....

Not for the first time, 'Trampu' has chosen US citizens the wrong path...

Expect to see a change of heart when hospital cases go through the roof..

#wearelearningnothingfromtheexperienceofothers

Offline GQBlues

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #1210 on: March 23, 2020, 06:33:12 PM »
The Democrats sidetracked the CareAct because they want to insert things like  :devil: *Wind and Solar Tax Credit* in the bill?

Quote from: msmob
1. Because of 'man', global warming is causing desert and arid areas to suffer long, dry spell.
2. The 2018 Camp Fire and Woolsey California wildfires are forests burning because of global warming.
3. N95 mask will choke you dead after 30 min. of use.

Offline msmob

« Reply #1211 on: March 23, 2020, 06:51:28 PM »
Washington State governor just issued a Stay at Home order and all non essential businesses to be shut down. Working in construction, I may be able to still work but some jobsites like a community pool I'm working on may be shut down by the city that owns the project. Other private projects may shut down simply because the inspectors may not work.

Unless you are building a hospital, what construction project is so 'vital' ?

Offline Hammer2722

• Spouse's Country: Belarus
« Reply #1212 on: March 23, 2020, 07:04:59 PM »
Agreed, I work for DOD and have been told my job is essential! We will also be going to 12 hr shifts to work 3 days and 4 hours of tele-work. Wifey was not happy with this news...
every ship can be a minesweeper at least once...

Offline Gator

« Reply #1213 on: March 23, 2020, 07:43:24 PM »
The Democrats sidetracked the CareAct because they want to insert things like  :devil: *Wind and Solar Tax Credit* in the bill?

I am upset by the political antics surrounding the Congressional economic stimulus bill.   The concern about stimulating the economy and helping laid-off workers has been hijacked by proposals to advance climate change initiatives and other progressive ideas. 

The Republicans of course balked.  I imagine Republicans are not innocent and  had earmarked a couple of their favorite ideas too. 

The particular Representatives and Senators supporting these out-of-context ideas holding up the bill should be identified and shamed.  And for sure be challenged in November.  Maybe some of the districts that elected them are cheering. 

Offline BillyB

« Reply #1214 on: March 23, 2020, 07:50:44 PM »

Plenty of construction is vital. Washington State will probably model their Stay at Home order after California's which allow hardware stores to remain open and construction work to continue. Article below shows Chicago allowing construction to continue. Second article has NY listing construction along with food markets as essential businesses that can remain open. These are decisions all made by Democrats, not Trump. If you call to fix a gas leak, water leak, or sewer clog, do you think us construction workers can repair them from our homes through a computer? Would you prefer to let us construction workers stay safe at home while your gas leak?

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/commercial-real-estate/coronavirus-wont-stop-chicagos-construction-industry

http://ny.curbed.com/2020/3/20/21187022/coronavirus-new-york-shutdown-shelter-in-place

Article below shows one major reason the virus behavior is extremely dangerous and why it will be back. Iceland, which says it’s tested a higher proportion of inhabitants than any other country, found that about half those who tested positive have no symptoms of Covid-19. Scary.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/wuhan-still-finding-symptom-free-virus-cases-caixin-reports/ar-BB11zo87?ocid=spartanntp

Hong Kong who did a great job limiting the damage of the first outbreak is now battling a second outbreak. Singapore and China are also showing signs of a second outbreak. Lessons learned from the first outbreak should keep loss of lives down during future outbreaks

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/hong-kong-appeared-to-have-the-coronavirus-under-control-then-it-let-its-guard-down/ar-BB11z2Ld?ocid=spartanntp

I am upset by the political antics surrounding the Congressional economic stimulus bill.   The concern about stimulating the economy and helping laid-off workers has been hijacked by proposals to advance climate change initiatives and other progressive ideas. 

There's a lot of money in that bill and some politicians see an opportunity to allot some of it to programs that will make their base cheer. Got to get those babies aborted and shave the whales. Today Trump spoke and said all the money in that bill needs to solve issues caused by the virus. Of course it's the Congress that will have the final say in the bill. Trump can't delay and is forced to sign it immediately after Congress hands it over to him.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2020, 08:29:13 PM by BillyB »

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #1215 on: March 23, 2020, 07:57:50 PM »
Plenty of construction is vital.

They are still building the high rise apartment buildings here in Batumi.

Offline BillyB

« Reply #1216 on: March 23, 2020, 08:22:24 PM »

There was a funny moment during today's virus briefing. Start at the 2:15 mark and finish at the 2:40 mark. Dr. Blix said she had a fever and watch what Trump does.

Offline GQBlues

« Reply #1217 on: March 23, 2020, 08:24:38 PM »
I know folks like fathertime doesnt think much of American resiliency nor exceptionalism. He has more faith with his Chinese chums. I strongly differ (surprise!). That’s likely because I’m an unashamed and proud Patriot 1-AA hahah!

It is during times like this that Americans rise to the occasion. I love how our private industries are mobilizing to do their share to help any way they can. The McGuyvers in us always seem to appear. Just like the creation of the 45-minute test kits by Celpheid; the self-swab test kit; and of course those ingenious band of doctors of the university of Minnesota who invented a $150.00 ventilator prototype that’s waiting for FDA approval. Ugly as it may be, it not only works but if approved, won’t take too much to produce.

The Ventilator Deluxe

Americans flattening the curve one day at a time! Bring it on baby!
« Last Edit: March 23, 2020, 08:34:41 PM by GQBlues »
1. Because of 'man', global warming is causing desert and arid areas to suffer long, dry spell.
2. The 2018 Camp Fire and Woolsey California wildfires are forests burning because of global warming.

Offline jone

« Reply #1218 on: March 23, 2020, 08:43:27 PM »
I know folks like fathertime doesnt think much of American resiliency nor exceptionalism. He has more faith with his Chinese chums. I strongly differ (surprise!). That’s likely because I’m an unashamed and proud Patriot 1-AA hahah!

It is during times like this that Americans rise to the occasion. I love how our private industries are mobilizing to do their share to help any way they can. The McGuyvers in us always seem to appear. Just like the creation of the 45-minute test kits by Celpheid; the self-swab test kit; and of course those ingenious band of doctors of the university of Minnesota who invented a $150.00 ventilator prototype that’s waiting for FDA approval. Ugly as it may be, it not only works but if approved, won’t take too much to produce.

The Ventilator Deluxe

Americans flattening the curve one day at a time! Bring it on baby!

+1 Buddy

Offline GQBlues

« Reply #1219 on: March 23, 2020, 08:53:55 PM »
This current battle we are all in the midst of should give all of us a cause to pause. We are in this fight together. #AloneTogether

So I share this link to all of you as a reminder sometimes a little bit of humor can go a long way.

Fight On People!
« Last Edit: March 23, 2020, 08:56:00 PM by GQBlues »

Offline fathertime

« Reply #1220 on: March 23, 2020, 09:02:07 PM »
Plenty of construction is vital. Washington State will probably model their Stay at Home order after California's which allow hardware stores to remain open and construction work to continue. 
In my opinion if we are under a real quarantine even most hardware stores and construction should stop.   Sure things like gas leaks got to be handled, but many if not most aren't taking the quarantine as seriously as perhaps they should.   I had dozens of people come by again today, and most were for non essential type things.  Not one mask was worn by the adventurers.   One guy brought his 3 young kids along.  At the supply center I use not one warehouse worker had a mask on and they were all smoking together in a tight circle during break.  Until bodies start piling up, the 'social contract' quarantine will not be taken seriously my many.

Fathertime! 

Offline fathertime

« Reply #1221 on: March 23, 2020, 09:06:11 PM »
China did a much better job of quarantining their  people.  They made the sacrifice.  Resiliency and exceptionalism are merely words, and the actions currently aren't demonstrating anything all that exceptional or resiliency unless it is defined by who can build the most exceptional fortress of toilet paper. 

Fathertime!   

Offline fathertime

« Reply #1222 on: March 23, 2020, 09:11:52 PM »
Compared to everyone else I know?   It is by my book.
It really isn't but yeah compared to others in the LA area it is probably better than most. 

Fathertime! 

Offline fathertime

« Reply #1223 on: March 23, 2020, 09:15:27 PM »
Trump just finished addressing the nation. He brought up a good point that if he shut down the economy to fight the virus, the "cure" may cause more problems with depression and increased death. His strategy is to fight the virus without a complete shutdown with the goal of losing the least amount of lives and keeping our economy strong.

Well now that Trump has laid out his objectives we shall see how it is implemented.  It sounds like he wants to open up the country in a few weeks.  From my view, we won't have made the necessary sacrifice so by opening up we will pay dearly in terms of deaths but I think he has already calculated that in and has determined that it is the best option. 

Fathertime! 

Offline fathertime

« Reply #1224 on: March 23, 2020, 09:44:37 PM »
The country of Colombia in South America can show the US what a real quarantine looks like.  Their leadership isn't afraid to do what it takes and sacrifice for the benefit of all.   I'll be curious to see how effective the quarantine is.  We in the states don't know real sacrifice, nor are we willing to accept it....for now. 

Colombia to hold 19-day quarantine to fight coronavirus

Colombia will enter a nationwide quarantine from Tuesday night, President Ivan Duque said late on Friday, the most drastic measure implemented so far by the South American country as it seeks to prevent the spread of the fast-moving coronavirus.....

.....Government sources said they will include movement exceptions for medical personnel, security forces and workers at pharmacies and supermarkets.....

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-colombia-quarantin/colombia-to-hold-19-day-quarantine-to-fight-coronavirus-idUSKBN218068   

Fathertime! 

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8884
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541437
Total Topics: 20863
Most Online Today: 2062
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 9
Guests: 2001
Total: 2010

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 05:23:57 PM

Re: international travel by krimster2
Yesterday at 04:41:40 PM

international travel by 2tallbill
Yesterday at 04:20:06 PM

Re: Does it ever feel strange to visit a place where you were with a previous girl? by 2tallbill
Yesterday at 04:05:32 PM

Re: international travel by krimster2
Yesterday at 04:05:13 PM

International travel by 2tallbill
Yesterday at 02:39:39 PM

Re: Does it ever feel strange to visit a place where you were with a previous girl? by ML
Yesterday at 02:16:29 PM

Does it ever feel strange to visit a place where you were with a previous girl? by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 11:21:59 AM

Re: Russian/Ukranian women - views on sex before marriage? by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 08:13:26 AM

Re: The Struggle For Ukraine by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 08:03:37 AM