It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Coronavirus, how are you preparing for it and how it is affecting you so far?  (Read 439350 times)

Offline BC

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: 4 - 10
This reality had been brought up even in this site repeatedly. JustFacts and MIT Economics reported their extensive research detailing this very reality looming everywhere. Exactly what both Japan and Sweden had been avoiding with their respective national programs..

Here there have been around 50 suicides reported during the last couple of months but don't know if that is above or less than the norm (4000 per year).  Just read an article that suicides in Japan were down 20% for April and other articles saying it might get worse there.  No one really knows why far east countries are not getting the number of infections western countries are.   Japan never reached 1000 infections per day.  Maybe mask culture, maybe a less dangerous strain, maybe being more prudent, -nobody knows yet but something is different there.  I dunno if whatever the difference is could be even transferred to another country.

Guess it will be a discussion topic down the road when all the data is in, but yes agree stress is not good with some populations or countries faring better or worse than others.  I don't believe it's worse than the virus though.  A 90-day process to beat the bug seems to be reasonable whereas 6 months would drive most nutty.

Offline msmob

• Trips: > 10
SWEDEN The failed 'experiment'

Aim: Herd Immunity and lessor impact on economy:

Result: FAIL

1/ relatively small percentage of Stockholm residents with antibodies

2/ HIGH death rates ( more than THEN times that of neighbours Norway or Finland )

3/ Economy :  SWeden's comparatively open economy hasn’t translated into economic benefits for Swedes. The Swedish economy is contracting at a similar rate to the rest of Europe. For a country as dependent on international trade and finance as Sweden, the recession is mostly a function of the European and global economic recession.

So, WHY did all those people need to die, unnecessarily?

More stats that those in bone-head mode won't like:

a/ May 21st, it was revealed by independent modelers in Sweden that despite adopting more relaxed measures to control the coronavirus, only 7.3% of people in Stockholm had been exposed to the virus by late April. This percentage is actually lower than estimates from several of the hardest hit cities in the world, such as Wuhan, Madrid, and New York, all of which were under lockdown. Moreover, it’s estimated that between 4%-7% of Sweden’s population has been infected to date. This is not materially different from country-wide estimates for France and Spain, two nations that imposed harsh lockdowns.

b/ As of Friday, May 22nd, 3,925 people have died from Covid-19 in Sweden, a country with a population of 10 million. Neighbours Denmark, Finland and Norway - each with populations about half of Sweden’s - have recorded death tolls of 561, 306 and 235, respectively.

c/ GCB's 'stats' are meaningless: The number of confirmed cases in Sweden stood at 32,809 on May 22nd, between three and five times higher than neighboring countries. But, it’s likely the Swedish figure vastly undercounts the real number of infections given that the country’s testing rate is remarkably low compared to Western European countries and the U.S.

d/ Calculated over the entire time period of the pandemic, Sweden’s death rate has been about average among Western countries, though many times higher than its Scandinavian neighbors, and also higher than the U.S.

e/ Conspicuously, in the past week, based on a rolling seven-day average, Sweden currently has the highest per capita mortality rate in Europe, having overtaken the U.K., Italy and Belgium. In recent weeks, as deaths have decreased significantly in most other European countries, Sweden’s numbers have remained flat.

f/ The death rate is notable, because Sweden has a relatively low population density, a disproportionate number of single households, and low rates of chronic conditions known to be risk factors for severe Covid-19 illness and death.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/joshuacohen/2020/05/23/swedens-gamble-on-coronavirus-has-it-paid-off/

Offline GQBlues

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: None (yet)
Predictable.

You want to discuss Stats and Facts, I gave you known comparable numbers. You counter with colorful cut/pasted contents from an opinion article. LMAO! You aren’t even capable of composing a single coherent thought of your own to support your point. You are proving my observation valid that your mental comprehension and function is clinically deficient. Continued deterioration, if left on its own, will be progressively rapid.

The U.K. is in a mandated lockdown vs Sweden’s largely volunteered lockdown, comparable stats and factual numbers more than speaks for itself.

For now, I’ll refrain from dubbing you the worm or slinkydick, but you’re certainly making this very difficult to contain.

Btw, no comment on this ‘fact’?

http://m.dw.com/en/years-of-underfunding-catch-up-with-uk-healthcare-system/av-53266664
Fast forward to the 2:30 mark on the video.

Curious because despite present Swedish condition, icu beds and equipment are still way above demands. Conversely, despite your strict lockdown, you’re rejecting treatments to treatable patients due to serious lacking in your healthcare. What’s up with that?

:devil:
« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 08:01:53 AM by GQBlues »
Quote from: msmob
1. Because of 'man', global warming is causing desert and arid areas to suffer long, dry spell.
2. The 2018 Camp Fire and Woolsey California wildfires are forests burning because of global warming.
3. N95 mask will choke you dead after 30 min. of use.

Offline GQBlues

Here there have been around 50 suicides reported during the last couple of months but don't know if that is above or less than the norm (4000 per year).  Just read an article that suicides in Japan were down 20% for April and other articles saying it might get worse there.  No one really knows why far east countries are not getting the number of infections western countries are.   Japan never reached 1000 infections per day.  Maybe mask culture, maybe a less dangerous strain, maybe being more prudent, -nobody knows yet but something is different there.  I dunno if whatever the difference is could be even transferred to another country.

Guess it will be a discussion topic down the road when all the data is in, but yes agree stress is not good with some populations or countries faring better or worse than others.  I don't believe it's worse than the virus though.  A 90-day process to beat the bug seems to be reasonable whereas 6 months would drive most nutty.

I’m interested in Japan and So Korean situation too. My suspicion lies more in the side of the strain not being as deadly as the one that hit Europe.

There’s so much variables surrounding this pandemic that it would render any conclusion now is simply grossly premature. There will be plenty enough time in the future where all of these will make better sense.
1. Because of 'man', global warming is causing desert and arid areas to suffer long, dry spell.
2. The 2018 Camp Fire and Woolsey California wildfires are forests burning because of global warming.

Offline msmob

Predictable.

In that your misrepresentations would be busted ..?  Quite...

You want to discuss Stats and Facts, I gave you known comparable numbers. You counter with colorful cut/pasted contents from an opinion article.[/quote]

Which FACT from the 'opinion' article do you 'dispute? ' ..

The U.K. is in a mandated lockdown

Actually, NO, it's not ... It should be .. The English are running willy nilly all over England during this Bank Holiday ...Your mistake is thinking I agree with the PM's policy ..

It was implemented LATE ..they were GOING to try a Sweden - until they wised up .. too late

vs Sweden’s largely volunteered lockdown, comparable stats and factual numbers more than speaks for itself.

Indeed .. let's compare Sweden's neighbours ......OH, but you don't want to acknowledge the MASSIVE disparity in deaths in similar population make-ups .. The UK is like Belgium and Netherlands ..VERY high population density and the cities are close together... 

Trying to compare apples and oranges another FAIL on your part ..

For now, I’ll refrain from dubbing you the worm or slinkydick, but you’re certainly making this very difficult to contain.

Give it your 'best shot' .. given your 'success' in making your 'case' for unnecessary murder

Btw, no comment on this ‘fact’?

http://m.dw.com/en/years-of-underfunding-catch-up-with-uk-healthcare-system/av-53266664
Fast forward to the 2:30 mark on the video.

What do you want me to say?  I agree with you.. there has been .. you're not debating with an unthinking patriot... FAIL

Curious because despite present Swedish condition, icu beds and equipment are still way above demands. Conversely, despite your strict lockdown, you’re rejecting treatments to treatable patients due to serious lacking in your healthcare. What’s up with that?

:devil:

Please tell us all where in the UK your last statement applies.

Sweden does indeed have a great social healthcare system and old folks were not availed of it ..to remind you...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-52704836

Care home residents account for nearly half of deaths linked to Covid-19 in Sweden. Some healthcare workers believe an institutional reluctance to admit patients to hospital is costing lives

"We did not manage to protect the most vulnerable people, the most elderly, despite our best intentions," Prime Minister Stefan Löfven admitted last week.

'We were told not to send them in'
"They told us that we shouldn't send anyone to the hospital, even if they may be 65 and have many years to live. We were told not to send them in," says Latifa Löfvenberg, a nurse who worked in several care homes around Gävle, north of Stockholm, at the beginning of the pandemic.

You see, GQB... little things like FACTS  just keep on bursting your bubble

Do get back to us on the points YOU missed ..

1/ Economy as weak / slow as neighbours

2/ TEN times the death rates of Norway and Finland

3/ Swedes don't even have any more 'antibodies present' percentage than lock-down nations ..

SO.. AGAIN ... WHY did all those folks die, needlessly ...

WHY are you STILL in favour of such a policy . ?  'Herd immunity'  ?:popcorn:

Offline BC

One sad fact is we'll have reached, and passed 100,000 deaths on Memorial Day.

Offline GQBlues

In that your misrepresentations would be busted ..?  Quite...

I thought it was simple enough, yet you still couldn't comprehend. Predictable that you would easily resort to an opinion article.

Which FACT from the 'opinion' article do you 'dispute? ' ..

Facts from an *opinion article*? You can't possibly be this dense!!! Anyone can extricate bits of information to structure an intended result. With that in mind, the bits of information laid out in your opinion article is justthat, an opinion. Nothing to do with stats and facts in the overall effect of the pandemic.

Actually, NO, it's not ... It should be .. The English are running willy nilly all over England during this Bank Holiday

Then why does your government levying fine, then?

...Your mistake is thinking I agree with the PM's policy ..

Deflection #2,367! Quote where I made this statement?

It was implemented LATE ..they were GOING to try a Sweden - until they wised up .. too late

It was implemented early March, yet the spike is still in an upward trend.

Indeed .. let's compare Sweden's neighbours ......OH, but you don't want to acknowledge the MASSIVE disparity in deaths in similar population make-ups .. The UK is like Belgium and Netherlands ..VERY high population density and the cities are close together...

Yet you compare Sweden to nations with half of its population. LMAO!

Trying to compare apples and oranges another FAIL on your part ..

Mirror, mirror on the wall.

Give it your 'best shot' .. given your 'success' in making your 'case' for unnecessary murder

With you? :devil: I can do it in my sleep.

What do you want me to say?  I agree with you.. there has been .. you're not debating with an unthinking patriot... FAIL

Exactly! There's nothing you can say!! That was the point. The UK, despite its lockdown, finds itself lacking in its healthcare system, especially compared to Sweden's considering you're demonizing them for their methodology and system.

Please tell us all where in the UK your last statement applies.

I told you, Fast forward to the video at the 2:30 mark.

Sweden does indeed have a great social healthcare system and old folks were not availed of it ..to remind you...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-52704836

There it is...another opinion article.

Care home residents account for nearly half of deaths linked to Covid-19 in Sweden. Some healthcare workers believe an institutional reluctance to admit patients to hospital is costing lives

"We did not manage to protect the most vulnerable people, the most elderly, despite our best intentions," Prime Minister Stefan Löfven admitted last week.

'We were told not to send them in'
"They told us that we shouldn't send anyone to the hospital, even if they may be 65 and have many years to live. We were told not to send them in," says Latifa Löfvenberg, a nurse who worked in several care homes around Gävle, north of Stockholm, at the beginning of the pandemic.
You see, GQB... little things like FACTS  just keep on bursting your bubble

LMAO! Here's facts for you...The UK's care facilities' fatalities are well passed 8,000. See Below. 400% over its usual annual death rates. 8,000!!. Compared to Sweden's, if 50% of its total death count is what your totting, over 300%!! LMAO!

Do get back to us on the points YOU missed ..

1/ Economy as weak / slow as neighbours

2/ TEN times the death rates of Norway and Finland

3/ Swedes don't even have any more 'antibodies present' percentage than lock-down nations ..

SO.. AGAIN ... WHY did all those folks die, needlessly …

There you go again. comparing it to nations with 50% of its population, LMAO! I'd rather compared it to YOUR country. It's much more relevant because YOU are demonizing their choice as though YOU, from the UK, have any significantly better data to compare them with.

With your current lockdown program....look at the graph below - not only compared to Sweden, but ESPECIALLY compared to COMPARABLE nations.

WHY are you STILL in favour of such a policy . ?  'Herd immunity'  ?:popcorn:

Slinkydick, quote me where I said I am in favor of what Sweden is doing.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 10:31:20 AM by GQBlues »

Offline BC

I’m interested in Japan and So Korean situation too. My suspicion lies more in the side of the strain not being as deadly as the one that hit Europe.

My thoughts tend to lean in the same direction. Maybe even the difference between our east and west coast - for the time being.  All bets off when folks start travelling back and forth in numbers.

There’s so much variables surrounding this pandemic that it would render any conclusion now is simply grossly premature. There will be plenty enough time in the future where all of these will make better sense.
[/quote]

Indeed.  At this time we only have one solution that seems to be effective.

Offline BillyB

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
One sad fact is we'll have reached, and passed 100,000 deaths on Memorial Day.

That number was going to be reached no matter what. Better done on Memorial day than any other. In 10 years we lost 58,000 Americans in the Vietnam war. In a matter of a few months we lose 100K Americans to the Chinese virus. We're losing more American per day average than any war we've been in but it doesn't feel like a war. Without a vaccine or immunity, we'll have to just get used to this way of life and enjoy a shorter life since the virus reduces our life span by 12 years.
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline Gator

SWEDEN The failed 'experiment'

Aim: Herd Immunity and lessor impact on economy:

Interesting data on deaths yet you say the economy has fared no "better" than other European nations. 

What do you mean by "exposure?"   Is that positive tests?  That is not the same as the usual meaning of   "exposure" in public health terms, come into contact with an agent (pathogen, toxic substance, ...), such as drinking contaminated water.  You say the percentage is based on modeling -  that should make eyes roll.  Just make sure your data are indeed comparable with other nations - we have seen ample cases of where people have been wrong about much with this disease. 

One statistic you did not mention but does need to be considered:  what are Sweden's federal expenditures for unemployment, relief, stimulus, etc. compared with other European nations. 

Offline Gator

As I have followed the pandemic since its start,  Churchill's "end of the beginning" words now come to mind.

Today I watched an interview with the Asst Director of WHO.  He says we are still in the beginning.  He's correct.   There are billions in the world where the virus has yet to reach their shores in force.  And few of these billions have the healthcare resources of the US and Europe. 

I don't know why these other nations have so far mostly experienced smaller number of outbreaks.  Let's hope it stays that way. 

Offline BillyB

I don't know why these other nations have so far mostly experienced smaller number of outbreaks.  Let's hope it stays that way.

My guess is many nations in South America and Africa doesn't have as much business, tourism and family ties with China compared to America and Europe. But it's a matter of time. Russia, Brazil and Ecuador are experiencing big outbreaks. There's probably more nations that are experiencing outbreaks but they aren't telling. A regional leader in Ecuador said their region is overwhelmed with dead bodies but it isn't reflected in the nations total amount of deaths.

In a matter of months, 1 out of every 800 people in the nation of San Marino, 1 out of every 1250 Belgians, and 1 out of every 665 New Yorkers are dead from the virus. If they didn't take action, it would be more and at the end of the year, at least one out of every 100 citizens would be dead and some of the survivors will have organ damage that will decrease their lifespans.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 11:39:27 AM by BillyB »
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline msmob

I thought it was simple enough, yet you still couldn't comprehend. Predictable that you would easily resort to an opinion article.

Second time ... which FACT, that  ( if you paid attention ) is referenced do you 'dispute'?

There's nothing you can say!!

You just makin' noise, now .. 

The UK, despite its lockdown, finds itself lacking in its healthcare system, especially compared to Sweden's considering you're demonizing them for their methodology and system.

Also, once again... The UK, like the US, reacted FAR too late ... but you are too 'patriotic' to admit the twat you voted for is mishandling this crisis.

The UK's care facilities' fatalities are well passed 8,000. See Below. 400% over its usual annual death rates. 8,000!!. Compared to Sweden's, if 50% of its total death count is what your totting, over 300%!! LMAO!

'LMAO' ?  You are a strange person ... the UK's govt has got this SO wrong.. What part of your bone-head skull will allow this to sink in ..  You can be as rude about 'my' nations planning as you like .. They have handled this poorly and the UK death rates are FAR higher than your 'stats'

There you go again. comparing it to nations with 50% of its population, LMAO!

..and physically, joined , with a similar social healthcare system, population density ...
..  You're FAILING...

I'd rather compared it to YOUR country. It's much more relevant because YOU are demonizing their choice as though YOU, from the UK, have any significantly better data to compare them with.

Which one ... ?  I'm legally resident of Cyprus ... who locked down hard ... Ireland, another nation where I hold citizenship...

With your current lockdown program....look at the graph below - not only compared to Sweden,

Yup, Norway and Finland - DIRECTLY comparable to Sweden ... and doing the RIGHT thing

So,

1/ you can't deal with the economic aspect..Sweden is not at an advantage

2/ a FAIL on the whole reasoning for Sweden's approach ( 'herd immunity' )IT KILLED FAR MORE PEOPLE

3/ you don't WANT to compare Sweden with Norway, Finland and Denmark ( her closest neighbours ) because it BUSTS you, once more...

Offline ML

As I have followed the pandemic since its start,  Churchill's "end of the beginning" words now come to mind.

Today I watched an interview with the Asst Director of WHO.  He says we are still in the beginning.  He's correct.   There are billions in the world where the virus has yet to reach their shores in force.  And few of these billions have the healthcare resources of the US and Europe. 

My wild ass guess is that the virus will kill half the people in Africa.
Perhaps the same for Central America and parts of South America.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline Grumpy

• Spouse's Country: Moldova

That's depressing....maybe this will cheer some up. Wear your  mask, it makes interesting tan lines. :D
Good women are not cheap
Cheap women are not good
(but they can be a lot of fun)

Offline GQBlues

Second time ... which FACT, that  ( if you paid attention ) is referenced do you 'dispute'?

Denser than molasses in January. Read my response AGAIN.

You just makin' noise, now ..

I suppose this means I again proved you wrong. 

Also, once again... The UK, like the US, reacted FAR too late ... but you are too 'patriotic' to admit the twat you voted for is mishandling this crisis.

In my world my hero decided to ban incoming flights that not only WHO thought it was premature and unnecessary, but even Dr Tony Fauci thought it was uncalled for, saying the US has nothing to worry about. What a prophetic move, eh?

'LMAO' ?  You are a strange person ... the UK's govt has got this SO wrong.. What part of your bone-head skull will allow this to sink in ..  You can be as rude about 'my' nations planning as you like .. They have handled this poorly and the UK death rates are FAR higher than your 'stats'..

Then if you are ADMITTING this about your country, then what is all the bitchin' about? You cited Sweden's elderly took the brunt of the virus, complete with opinion article and supported by a pretty picture! LMAO! Slinkydick, the elderlies EVERYWHERE is taking the major hit with this virus. I even showed you UK's care facilities is actually worse. 400% worse fatality rate than a normal year.
..and physically, joined , with a similar social healthcare system, population density ... [/b] ..  You're FAILING...

Physically joined. What a concept. Okeedokee! Let's see: Germany is physically joined with Belgium, too. Switzerland is physically joined with Italy, too,  Portugal is physically joined with Spain...WTF point were you trying to make? Each pair have differing COVID conditions, slinkydick.

You want a more comparable nation per capita...LMAO! Compare Belgium to Sweden then slinkydick. Population 11 million to Sweden's 10. I'll post that graph again for your entertainment. Eat your heart out! :devil:

As for 'population density' then Belgium will be in fact the most comparable with Sweden in the region. Population wise & habitable area-wise. Belgium will be slightly 'bigger' in this regard, but it also have a slightly bigger population.

...and I'll spare you the embarrassment. While Sweden is 173,000+ square miles big, only less than 5% of it is habitable. Thus, density will certainly make this far more comparable to Belgium. Belgium is the 11,000+ square miles.

Which one ... ?  I'm legally resident of Cyprus ... who locked down hard ... Ireland, another nation where I hold citizenship...

LMAO! Move that goal post slinkydick. How many times have you posted here bragging about your silly British passport again?

Yup, Norway and Finland - DIRECTLY comparable to Sweden ... and doing the RIGHT thing

Bullsh!t! I serve BELGIUM! Belgium was 'doing the right thing', too. Belgium have the RED line in the graph.

So,

1/ you can't deal with the economic aspect..Sweden is not at an advantage

2/ a FAIL on the whole reasoning for Sweden's approach ( 'herd immunity' )IT KILLED FAR MORE PEOPLE

That is the root of your idiocy in this entire thing. Discussing Sweden's choice, as a nation, in how to deal with this pandemic for their society is their own choice. I already asked you where I said I am in favor of what Sweden is doing. If you pulled that glowing hot rod off your butt you'd feel better and may actually do wonders to your comprehension issues.

3/ you don't WANT to compare Sweden with Norway, Finland and Denmark ( her closest neighbours ) because it BUSTS you, once more...

There is NO comparison anymore that you can compare cases between Spain/Portugal, Switzerland/Italy, Germany/Belgium based on your stupid premise.

So I am comparing it to YOUR silly country because you're the one who's is screaming like a banshee in heat because I am shoving your silly nugget off the floor slinkydick.

You are NOT capable to even understand what Sweden had been trying to explain as to the reason why they chose the path they did. I don't give a rat's arse whether rightly or wrongly, but do understand 'the point' that unlike all other countries, they felt they would not have to go through any possible episodes of re-infection they fear may happen once the lockdowns in other countries  begin to unveil. They also cited, while they will likely see a rise in fatalities NOW, they believe when this pandemic is truly over - all things considered - when all causes of deaths due to the pandemic is counted, they will suffer less, at the least, equally so. Sweden had always been about relying on its public to practice their own diligence instead of having the government force it upon them.

Now get this through your slinkydick head: IT IS WHAT THEY BELIEVE. More power to them!
« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 06:47:30 PM by GQBlues »

Offline GQBlues

That's depressing....maybe this will cheer some up. Wear your  mask, it makes interesting tan lines. :D

In Socal, they call these Trikini..

Offline GQBlues

So I just got off the phone with a buddy of mine and we were talking about how zany things are with all our favorite things to do and places we frequent to being unavailable. It's a glorious day today in SoCal, too. I told him that wifey and I just got back from Sta Barbara for bike riding. SB have a lot of great trails to ride, and most of them breaks out to the beach front with all the nice restaurants and shops. Sta Barbara is in Ventura County and they are definitely far more relaxed there than LA County.

It is shocking the difference considering SB is only about an hour away from SM. I told him I'd say 98% of the people, if not more, aren't wearing masks. Being there today is like a normal weekend day. Totally unexpected for us. Wifey got even more excited when she saw our favorite restaurant is actually 'open'. Actually a whole bunch of them are open. The caveat is, going in you do have to wear a mask, but seating us outside we took it off as no one out there with us were wearing them. Social distancing is still observed though. But it doesn't matter. We were both stoked!! It seems like years since we were able to walk into a restaurant and dined inside. Much less in one of our all time favorite!! Sta. Barbara is ground central to Uni (sea urchin). This is where most of the urchins served at restaurants and sushi places in LA come from. I just LOVE these suckers!!! That and oysters.

Felt a bit down coming back home as we drove by places that are shutdown. But it was a great day. The weather was awesome and it really felt good 'eating out' again.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 06:21:25 PM by GQBlues »

Offline fathertime

talking about 100's of millions of deaths...I don't think so.   They are younger and more vital than the populations of europe and the USA. 

Fathertime !
I just happened to be browsing about the internet....

Offline Gator

Kill half the people? 

Let's talk about Africa.  Maybe half of sub-Sahara Africa will become infected before this is over.  Yet,  that is debatable because seemingly there has been enough time for the virus to have taken foot and the infection rates remain small.     How many of those will die?   So far, case fatality rates in Africa are much lower than Europe's.     

I just fear that this could change when the winter season (our summer) hits. 

BTW, over half of the population of sub-Sahara Africa is rural.  And deaths in Europe and the US mostly occur among the urban. I would not want to be a resident of a  congested city there.

Offline Gator

CFR in Europe vs. US

Speaking of case fatality rates, why is the CFR in the US about 6%, and the CFR in Western Europe's largest countries is about 13%?

We have discussed this before, and it is claimed that the European population is older.  Longevity data says the difference is only 2 years.  Is that so significant, especially given Americans tend to have underlying conditions such as obesity and diabetes? 

Could it be that the frontline healthcare system in the US is better at treating hospitalized patients?   That surely is not true given all the fanfare from Europeans about their system.  Inquiring minds want to know. 

Offline BillyB

If I were a cop, I'd arrest that girl for hoarding masks.

The people there may not fare poorly. On average they aren't nearly as fat or old as African Americans.

Offline BC

Gator,

Simply too many variables, some known, some still changing, some not yet known.

Offline msmob

News from California on Sweden .. NoCal, of course ;)

http://www.sfgate.com/news/editorspicks/article/Sweden-herd-immunity-experiment-backfires-covid-15289437.php

'The price you pay': Sweden's 'herd immunity' experiment backfires

""If you let this go or don’t try very hard or go about it in somewhat of a more restrained way rather than we have here, this is the price you pay," Rutherford said. "Maybe it didn’t hurt businesses, but you have twice the mortality rate of the United States. All those people who died were part of families and they were citizens and part of the fabric of Swedish society. And now they’re gone because of a policy that hasn’t worked out quite the way they thought it would."

Offline fathertime

Still haven't missed one moment of work due to the coronavirus.  I've got no intention of stopping until I fall ill or have my doors locked by law enforcement.  It still seems to me that the bodies haven't quite piled up the way it was said they would.  It seems that the virus is a very bad form of the flu that most otherwise healthy people can beat.  I don't see the virus being contained ever unless it dies out on it's own...perhaps it will be another endemic sickness like others the human race has dealt with through the centuries.  If this is the new way of the world, I guess I'll have to wear a mask and be a little more careful (Not my nature) and hope for the best. 

Fathertime! 
I just happened to be browsing about the internet....

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 540997
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 9
Guests: 1963
Total: 1972

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:20:42 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 09:12:54 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:02:12 PM

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 08:45:42 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 07:59:27 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 07:04:53 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 06:59:45 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 06:57:42 PM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 06:36:52 PM

Re: Twenty Years... and Counting (MarkInTx Update) by supranatural
Yesterday at 03:02:29 PM