It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Valentines Day / International Woman's Day  (Read 10937 times)

Offline Bruce

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
Valentines Day / International Woman's Day
« on: February 02, 2005, 01:50:31 AM »
Do you guys celebrate both days or just one of the above holidays?  What are some of your most memorable presents?  What impressed her the most?   Any present ideas I could pocket in the memory banks for future occassions?
"A word is dead when it is said, some say.  I say it just begins to live that day."  Emily Dickinson

Offline Goombah

« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2005, 01:54:37 AM »
I've booked 15 roses to be sent on both days.  Of course, I'm still in pursuit mode - trying to impress - no K-1 yet (maybe in April when I return).

Kevin

Offline Bruce

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2005, 02:01:00 AM »
Well, at least you have the odd number down.  I am not sure February 14 has much of an impact there at all - but it can not hurt.  My wife already asked me to pick one, but I am not sure that will work in the long run.  I suspect Valentine's day will win out because she is in the USA now and when in the USA......................
"A word is dead when it is said, some say.  I say it just begins to live that day."  Emily Dickinson

Offline jb

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2005, 02:14:34 AM »
LOL,, isn't everyday "Women's Day" when you are married?

When the priest asked me to pick a date when we repeated our vows in the Church, I choose Feb 14th, not because I'm terribly romantic, but because it's a date I'm not likely to forget.  I already had a wedding date to remember from the civil marriage in Moscow, I figured having two annversary days on the calender would be too much, so being the coward that I am, I picked a date when I'd be buying flowers and a gift anyway.  

Valentine's Day is not part of the Russian tradition, but all the RWs know about it and expect their love interest to come through with a rememberance of some kind.  Failure to do so would probably be a dissappointment to most girls and younger women.

Offline BC

• Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2005, 02:55:56 AM »
Quote from: Bruce
 I am not sure February 14 has much of an impact there at all - but it can not hurt.  

I'm sure the impact would hurt this married guy if he forgot.. here or there :shock:

Been lucky so far.. We met after V Day and married before the next one.  I tend to be forgetful but my wife will usually drop a few hints before such days... She's the type that just can't wait till xmas..

Offline schlegs

• Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2005, 05:31:52 AM »
Quote from: jb
Valentine's Day is not part of the Russian tradition, but all the RWs know about it and expect their love interest to come through with a rememberance of some kind.  Failure to do so would probably be a dissappointment to most girls and younger women.

According to my wife, THAT is changing!  I already have two cards (I like humorous ones and she likes pretty) for her and a small gift.  Not sure about flowers yet.  She hates me spending money on roses that die in less than a week.

We will be in Russia for Women's Day, so I know I will be celebrating that one big time!  Gonna have to arrange to tag along with my brother-in-law so I can buy some gifts for her!
« Last Edit: February 02, 2005, 05:32:00 AM by schlegs »

Offline Vaughn

• Trips: No Selection
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2005, 01:43:50 PM »
Bruce asked:
What are some of your most memorable presents?  What impressed her the most?  

I had another list member suggest I get my woman a fur coat, and to check eBay. At first I was hesitant to pick up anything used, but there are a few Canadian dealers who offer excellent pre-owned raccoon coats, and yes, in smaller sizes. I selected a gorgeous thigh-length raccoon fur, and used BuyItNow at $169 and stowed it into my luggage on my second visit, right before 8 March. When we boarded the train, I told her in Russian, "I bought you a coat" - and used the word "pahl-TOH", which is an ordinary winter coat. She appeared apprehensive, but when I pulled out the raccoon, she shrieked "You buy me SHOO-bah, you find SHOO-bah!" I could not thank that list member enough for the suggestion - it was a hit with Elvira. She even wore it to travel home last Christmas. FSU women, and I generalize here, seem to LOVE furs, and for many they're out of reach. A Canadian fur is fairly exotic to them as well, and Elvira hopped off that train just beaming, and showing off a little.

Here is just one such listing (to which I have no connection) as an example only. In bidding or buying on eBay, I always suggest you check the seller's feedback record carefully, this Chicagoan's score is at 100%:

<http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=63862&item=5362318707&rd=1

Offline Marc Dayton

• Commercial Member
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2005, 04:50:19 PM »
Hold on to that raccoon coat and put it in the can!!!!!!!!!! or back on e-bay.

True story for you. One winter a man gave me a raccoon hat.  I had it on one day in my Tver office the interputers starting laffing at me. So I asked and was told only pepole that  are poor would were that cheep pice of crap. No affence to you, I just hope you still have it so you can put it back on e-bay ?

So I gave the hat away, but to someone who would never go to Russia, my big brother he likes anything.

Offline Vaughn

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2005, 04:10:09 PM »
Marc wrote:
So I asked and was told only pepole that  are poor would were that cheep pice of crap.

Marc, we're not inclined to resell the coat, but should we lean that way in the future, we'll give you first crack at it, OK?

One winter a man gave me a raccoon hat.

I don't know, Marc, maybe it WAS a cheep pice of crap.

I had it on one day in my Tver office the interputers starting laffing at me.

Good rule of thumb: never wear a raccoon hat INSIDE an office. Then again, maybe the populace in Tver is more sophisticated than in my wife's town. Taste and styles are regional.

Was this the hat he gave you to wear?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=30085&item=3876344419&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Offline Marc Dayton

• Commercial Member
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2005, 04:31:23 PM »
No Affence ment, Just sheriring a story with you,  Would not want the coat so peace brother and all that good stuff. I hope you never jump on her if she brings it up?

Offline Marc Dayton

• Commercial Member
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2005, 04:45:23 PM »
E-bay man

P.S. funney on the hat with ebay, but I would like to know if I spit in your oat meal or something.

Just an FYI about the hat it was 100% russian style, but looked like any other winter hat to me.

Yes I was a poor man wearing a poor mans hat so kick me down to mud and pin the tail on my ? for telling other men to stay as far away from hats and coats like this one.

Offline Vaughn

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2005, 04:54:44 PM »
Marc,

It's not really of any importance. I was suggesting a gift that thrilled my wife (and her friends), that's all, and I surely don't expect every Tom, Dick and Harry to go running out to bid on one. My reply to you was pure tongue-in-cheek...

Regards,  Vaughn

Offline Bruce

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2005, 08:13:49 AM »
Well, March 8 is coming soon!

Offline Bruce

« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2005, 02:00:06 AM »
Well, today is March 8 - it is not yet too late for you guys to act!!!

Offline jb

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2005, 02:49:13 AM »
I didn't forget.

There were flowers, champaigne, about 14 pounds of chocolate, and some fine jewelery as the finishing touch.

Who knows, maybe I'll even get lucky tonight. :cool::cool:

Offline Bruce

« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2005, 05:11:33 AM »
JB - you go all out.  I am actually getting my girl 7 red roses (thats our number), take out from Subway (my girl just loves the subway ham and provolone) as well as some nice diamond stud earrings.  It is my first March 8 in the USA as a married couple so I wanted to make it a good one!  We could not celebrate Valentine's day because my wife actually went to my mother to take care of her for a week when she was sick.  Now, tell me how many American girls would fly to their mother-in-laws and cook and clean for her and her miserable miser of a husband for a week?  In my book she deserves a great present for March 8 - but that is why I married her!!!

Offline Bruno

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2005, 06:59:08 AM »
Guys... i think that several people don't understand the meaning of the Woman Day...

Of course, it is a special day for your woman / wife... but it is for all women... children give flower to mother, husband to wife, boss to woman worker ...

St Valentin is about love between a woman and man... Woman day is about respect of man for all women, not only these you love...

Send a little word to all ladies you know... because it is the day of all the women

For these who are already married with wife home, make a phone call to your mother-in-laws and wish her a happy woman day... next time you visit the family of your wife, you will be welcome like a king ;)

Offline jb

« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2005, 07:37:42 AM »
Bruno,

If that's the case, then everyday is "Woman's Day" here in Texas.  If you don't treat them nice they are apt to beat the snot out of you.

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8884
Latest: Eugeneecott
New This Month: 0
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541279
Total Topics: 20859
Most Online Today: 2190
Most Online Ever: 12701