It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Poll

How do you identify yourself racially?

White, non Hispanic
49 (84.5%)
White, Hispanic
1 (1.7%)
Hispanic
0 (0%)
African American
3 (5.2%)
Asian and Pacific Islander
5 (8.6%)

Total Members Voted: 58

Author Topic: Racial landscape  (Read 22677 times)

Offline LTCOLBIEGARD

Re: Racial landscape
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2007, 04:17:02 PM »
AS far as drinkers go, Most Fsu women that I have had experience hate drinkers as a spouse !!! But, don't most American Women too?? Didn't say they didn't do it. But, alot of FSu women and particuarlay Ukraine women, feel that a drunk women is a  woman that doesn't repsect herself or her man. They all have expressed that they can get a drunk at home.

Everytime I go to the Ukraine people ask me about blacks. And actually I was being kind compared to the comments they have made. For the most part they don't understand, don't want to be around them , and actually dislike them. My statement about <" they dislike them worst than our south,  "  is a big understatement.

I have actuallly had very intelligent and what would otherwise seem as non racists  FSu people tell me  to call them names and to treat them bad if I felt like it.

Again this is not my idea, it is what was expressed to me. ANd I am not saying that a black guy can't go find the love of his life there either. I am just saying that FSu women and men can be really really racist towards black !! 

Just like there is alot of hatred  of "Russians" by Ukraines, even though alot of Urkaines are "russians."  Just observations of comments.

Offline TW1970

« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2008, 11:00:25 AM »
One thing that's interesting is that you don't see a lot of black men doing this. Does anybody know of any that are pursuing Russian women? I'm curious to what kind of reaction they would get from RW. 

Well, i am one of those guys. ;) Actually, i am a mix (Black father white mother). I am new in this whole process but I am planning to visit Ukraine this summer.

Offline BC

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2008, 01:53:18 PM »
Welcome TW!

Care to leave a brief post in the intro section?

IMPOV - In my point of view it's sorta like this:

My wife took one look at Obama and said she doesn't like him at all.

I will vote for him (and I'm white).

Yeah it's probably an uphill battle but do join the rest of us in that 'uphill battle'.

Cheers!

Offline 55North

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2008, 04:12:51 PM »
The first friend that my ex from Kyiv introduced me to is now in the US with her black Canadian doctor, met through EM.  My ex has never really got over that, and when I was last with her, in Kyiv, was still pointing out blacks on the street.  She clearly had some problems interacting with Britain's multi-ethnicity when here.

My fiancee from the North Caucasus has not been tested yet (living in a mixed community), but given her music taste, and her sons' social activities in Florida, she's clearly not going to have much problem in the UK.

Strange that the country girl is cooler about this than the big city gal.  But then, given the profound ethnic and religious mix of the Caucasus, maybe not so strange.

Offline ScottinCrimea

« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2008, 04:50:21 PM »
My gut impression is that you won't have much difficulty finding women to date or spend an evening with, but it will be much more difficult finding one who is willing to buck years of bias and the attitudes of friends and family in order to have a serious relationship.  Unfortunately, a man of color will have to have attributes above and beyond the average Caucasian to overcome the cultural attitudes, such as the income of the black Canadian doctor mentioned.  Of course you can find women for whom this will not be an issue who is willing to go against the opinions of friends and family or whose friends and family have no issue with this as well, but, unfair as it is, the current reality is that the search will be more difficult.

I don't see the prejudice in the FSU as anywhere near the level of what it was (and in some places still is) in the Southern US, more of an indifference than an outright hatred, so you don't need to worry about lynchings, just some stares and polite dismissals.

Offline TW1970

« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2008, 05:32:57 PM »
Welcome TW!

Care to leave a brief post in the intro section?
Yeah it's probably an uphill battle but do join the rest of us in that 'uphill battle'.

Cheers!

Thanks BC! I'll post a brief intro soon.

Offline TW1970

« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2008, 05:47:37 PM »
My gut impression is that you won't have much difficulty finding women to date or spend an evening with, but it will be much more difficult finding one who is willing to buck years of bias and the attitudes of friends and family in order to have a serious relationship.  Unfortunately, a man of color will have to have attributes above and beyond the average Caucasian to overcome the cultural attitudes, such as the income of the black Canadian doctor mentioned. 

Thanks for the insight and advice! Based on what I've read, I am not considering Russia (only Ukraine), for now. I am anticipating it will not be a walk in the park, but I am willing to give it my best effort. As far as my attributes, I'll explain them more in the intro section but to be succinct here, I am 37, have a Master's degree, work for the USA government, speak 3 languages and have lived in several countries.[/quote]

Offline ScottinCrimea

« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2008, 08:46:32 PM »
Based on what you have posted, I think you have a pretty good shot.  Stick with those who have an open mind, like you do, and you have every chance of finding a winner.

i just spoke to my wife about this.  Her first question was about how dark your skin was.  I guess if you're of the complexion of an Azerbaijani or Georgian than it's less of a problem.  Now I'm just quoting a Ukrainian woman here, so don't take offense.  Also, looking at your initial credentials, she commented that an adult woman would not be so influenced by the opinions of family and friends and would focus on the positive qualities of a man, no matter the race. It sounds like you have a good shot, and I guarantee that the rewards are worth whatever additional effort it may require.

Offline TW1970

« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2008, 06:43:39 AM »
i just spoke to my wife about this.  Her first question was about how dark your skin was.  I guess if you're of the complexion of an Azerbaijani or Georgian than it's less of a problem.  Now I'm just quoting a Ukrainian woman here, so don't take offense. 

Thanks for the input ScottinCrimea. Since your wife asked about my skin complexion, I posted a pic on my profile. I do not think I'd be mistaken for an African but I'm probably much darker than an Azerbaijani or Georgian.

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541008
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 11
Guests: 1882
Total: 1893

+-Recent Posts

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 01:09:03 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:51:13 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:33:48 PM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:24:44 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 11:16:08 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by ML
Today at 10:31:43 AM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 09:47:10 AM

What to do by 2tallbill
Today at 09:37:41 AM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by 2tallbill
Today at 09:18:17 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 07:00:25 AM