It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Need expert advice... moving to Ukraine?  (Read 7938 times)

Offline BillyB

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: > 10
Re: Need expert advice... moving to Ukraine?
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2018, 07:44:13 PM »
I'm a gamer. I really enjoy multiplayer

A few FSU women told me they are looking for a man, not a boy. Playing too many video games may be hazardous to your love life. Just something to think about.
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Online krimster2

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: Resident
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2018, 07:58:11 PM »
“Krimster- Thanks for the response. So why not just take cash out of the ATM? Why would I want to bring that much cash in person? On all my previous trips, credit card, and atm worked just fine.”

Rules for Ukraine
#1, just because something works most of the time, doesn’t mean it works all of the time
#2, money in your hand and your back turned...the hairs would stand on the back of my head
#3, the more you use your card, the more likely it is to be misused
#4, freedom of travel, the wind may blow you to some place without an ATM
#5, fees, I spent a LOT of money, ATM/FOREX fees on that would be a substantial amount
#6 cash limits, sometimes I needed more, sometimes much more

“So let me get this straight: cafe, dinner, then apartment. Is apartment and dinner on the same date?”

sometimes yes,
sometimes on next date
I had a 3 date rule, if there was no action by the third date, then there was not going to be any action, so time to move on... tomorrow is a new day with a new opportunity...

“How long do Ukrainians usually go before calling each other boyfriend/ girlfriend? I don't want them thinking I'm the the just for sex, but if it happens, it happens.”

no, YOU don’t want to be thinking about sex
you want THEM to be thinking about sex
all the women there have a “fantasy”
you have to make them think YOU are the fantasy
then just respond to them when they respond

it’s backwards from America
sex and then friend zone in Ukraine and not the other way round

“To everyone: my understanding is that it's best to meet women after work or on their day off...”

absolute best time, is spring right after cold winter
the public mood is transformed by the weather
you can meet someone anytime, anywhere, and after a cup of coffee, agree to meet later at anytime and anywhere, it does help to know some good spots for dinner, entertainment, etc.
I don’t believe in moderation, so if it was a woman I was interested in, then after handful of initial local dates, I would take her somewhere outside of whatever city we were in, my favorite, which I would no longer recommend was Istanbul, it would be good to travel together, more intimate than her being in her home turf, going back to her apartment after each visit
if she’s “in to you” then she will go along with whatever you suggest, as long as it can work with her schedule, all the women I met were willing to change their schedules to be with me, if not, I would’ve moved on...

don't go after ONE fish
go after ALL the fish

if you don't catch one
on you first or even second cast
then try again until you do
but don't keep trying over and over
on the same fish
that's American thinking
and you're in Ukraine now
schools of fish everywhere

« Last Edit: September 01, 2018, 08:05:56 PM by krimster2 »

Offline rwd123

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2018, 04:09:51 AM »
Practical advice to get started:

1. Buy USD (or Euros) < 10,000 and don't declare it.
2. Get Uber and local accounts like Yandex Taxi set up on your phone. Gett was recommended to me in Russia.
3. Buy a local SIM at the airport, best to have dual SIM slot phone.
4. Buy UAH (or local currency) at the airport, I'd suggest minimum 500-1000 USD worth.
5. Bring your ATM/credit cards but don't rely on them.
6. Learn at least a little Russian. It goes a long way.

Krimster - times have changed. A Westerner in his 40s hitting on girls in the street in Kyiv and Odessa screams of sex tourist. Most girls will not be interested even in conversation. Ukraine is not what it used to be, it has really turned for the worst in the last 5-10 years (if not longer).

How do men dress when they go out? Blazer? Collar shirt? Any specific style?

Most locals wear t-shirts and jeans so it's not hard to look good. Get well fitted clothes, good shoes, winter jacket does not need to be fancy.

Why would you go in December? In fact question for everyone here! besides freezing to death, and the women possibly being less interested in meeting, what would be the reason to NOT go in the winter? Unless the chance of meeting someone is completely gone, then maybe I shouldn't wait until March?

Winter is good. Girls in the summer are on holiday or spend time outside; in winter it's too cold so venues are far more crowded - much better time for night life. But again - many girls are not interested in foreigners because of the prevalence of sex tourists or will fleece you for free drinks.

For someone who has traveled to Ukraine previously you're asking some pretty basic questions (almost naive). I would have thought you would have known this type of info without having to ask for it.

Offline civi68

• Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2018, 04:47:13 AM »
I went in January and encountered no problems. People are out walking daily no matter what. I didn't have any problems with the cold except in Moscow in January at -15 below. I recommend you go to Sierra Trading post, sign up for their email coupons, and buy some good winter clothes, particularly some of the good winter jackets (not the ski jackets everyone seems to wear anymore). Buy an extra goose down packable jacket for the really cold days. They are the warmest but rip easily. Wear a sherpa lined fleece jacket, long underwear, insulated hiking boots, and winter jacket and you should be good to go.
   As to where I am going, I haven't decided yet. You should have luck in any city. I visited Kherson, Odessa, and Dnepropetrovsk. It is just my preference but I usually avoid Kiev and Odessa due to too many tourists and the women acting in response to that. I don't want to be around a lot of Americans/Europeans there for the same reason as me. Most cities have a 100,000+ people so that is enough for anyone.
    I also can't emphasize enough how learning some of the language helped me to communicate and get through the language barrier. I recommend The New Penguin Russian course and Essential Russian Grammar books. Spend an hour a day on one chapter a week.

Online krimster2

« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2018, 05:33:02 AM »
ah yes, sex tourists, they’ve ruined it for everyone, when I lived there I avoided them like they were an infections disease, absolute embarrassment

How to overcome this?
Be interesting, I happen to be a fairly decent illustrator, I used to sit in a crowded public space in Kyiv and sketch people walking by, sometimes I had to leave because I was getting too much of a crowd, but I did meet some lovely women this way
also, your “demeanor” is as important as your wardrobe, a smile is unusual in Ukraine, it makes you open, you want to signal it’s ok to come and talk to you

I used to hunt in Universities, because this was the age group I was interested in, there are NO sex tourists here, and EASY to strike up conversations, I always had a slightly befuddled expression on my face, lost little lamb, who needed help, pretty girls were ALWAYS happy to help

then of course villages, but I don’t want to get BO upset, village hunting is all about income disparity and opportunity, you use “shock and awe” wealth to bowl them over, these girls would become whatever you wanted them to be, as long as you “fed” their desire for “la dolce vita”

once I had these initial successes, then I had an intuitive sense of which women would be interested in me, and who would not, maybe it was just eye contact or body language, I don’t know, but after awhile, I could be walking on the street, and just know which ones I could approach.  Now, I didn’t just walk up to a woman, and just bluntly ask about sex, although amazingly I saw a Ukrainian guy actually do this, maybe 20 times, and watched with amusement his rejection each time, until on the 21st time, a nice attractive woman stopped and listened to him, and they left together, I was stunned for sure!!!

no I didn’t use his technique, instead I had my “INTRODUCTORY STORY”, but a good magician doesn’t reveal his tricks

yes, even though things are different now, they’re also still the same
a month ago, I was in Russia, talked to LOTS of pretty girls, if I was single I would not have been alone there after the first few days, and I’m nearly a dadooshka...

Offline Nightwish

« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2018, 06:00:32 AM »
Practical advice to get started:

1. Buy USD (or Euros) < 10,000 and don't declare it.
2. Get Uber and local accounts like Yandex Taxi set up on your phone. Gett was recommended to me in Russia.
3. Buy a local SIM at the airport, best to have dual SIM slot phone.
4. Buy UAH (or local currency) at the airport, I'd suggest minimum 500-1000 USD worth.
5. Bring your ATM/credit cards but don't rely on them.
6. Learn at least a little Russian. It goes a long way.

Krimster - times have changed. A Westerner in his 40s hitting on girls in the street in Kyiv and Odessa screams of sex tourist. Most girls will not be interested even in conversation. Ukraine is not what it used to be, it has really turned for the worst in the last 5-10 years (if not longer).

How do men dress when they go out? Blazer? Collar shirt? Any specific style?

Most locals wear t-shirts and jeans so it's not hard to look good. Get well fitted clothes, good shoes, winter jacket does not need to be fancy.

Why would you go in December? In fact question for everyone here! besides freezing to death, and the women possibly being less interested in meeting, what would be the reason to NOT go in the winter? Unless the chance of meeting someone is completely gone, then maybe I shouldn't wait until March?

Winter is good. Girls in the summer are on holiday or spend time outside; in winter it's too cold so venues are far more crowded - much better time for night life. But again - many girls are not interested in foreigners because of the prevalence of sex tourists or will fleece you for free drinks.

For someone who has traveled to Ukraine previously you're asking some pretty basic questions (almost naive). I would have thought you would have known this type of info without having to ask for it.

I do wish to object to this statement, I was exactly this, a westerner in my 40:s talking to women on the "street". and this is only 2-5 years back now.
Of course my selection of women was a little different, about my own age , preferably with a child (since I didn't want to have any more of my own)

BUT!
It has a lot to do with how you approach them, how you are as a person, how you start the conversation and also where you choose to approach them.

On the street with someone you just meet walking past you, forget it - but in parks, on/around different monuments or other sights, sitting alone in a café or restaurant (very unusual you find one sitting alone there though)
My "hit" rate.. about 50/50 I would say. and with that I mean women that would look and act interested in further conversation after the first interaction.

I used my *charming* unsure about this city and what to do here routine, worked quite well, and - what I discovered first hand -  DON'T flirt openly. Showing that you appreciate their appearance and beauty is one thing, out right flirting - you will probably be doomed and judged as sex-tourist right away.
If you studied it, forget everything you ever read about PUA approach, it does not work there. Ask Trench, he knows no other way and fails miserable every time.

Winter makes meeting someone by chance outside of course a lot slimmer, but not impossible, you just need to find the natural venues they visit.

off topic:
I just came home from a weekend in Odessa, weather was amazing.
When I arrived on Wednesday there was one of these legendary tours arriving about the same time, starting to form a large group in the arrival hall, I apparently had some of them on my plane from Kiev.
I had booked a nice hotel close to Arcadia since it was my girls bday, and we spent most of our time walking around or near Arcadia for 2 days, I am still so amazed by all the foreign guys in their 50's out walking with his "nieces" (or daughters) in their 20 ::), real bombshells, really sexy and beautiful young women.   :rolleyes:
Odd thing, the girls are always in pairs and one of them always seem to lack English knowledge  :cheesy:

How can they still fall for this? It's grown men, spending a "small fortune" and thinking they will meet pretty young girls and that they will be interested in a overweight, balding, sweaty (it was quite hot there) old dude. It's 2018! Use Google for freaks sake and read up on things.
Many many men are quite delusional  :D
Multitasking means screwing up several things at once.

Offline rwd123

« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2018, 06:58:54 AM »
a month ago, I was in Russia, talked to LOTS of pretty girls, if I was single I would not have been alone there after the first few days, and I’m nearly a dadooshka...
Russia is different. For random meetings Kiev/Odessa are not the best options in the FSU. I say this based on two visits to each country this year. I simply like conversation with locals (men and women) and had contrasting experiences. But everyone will have unique experiences, I'm just sharing mine in case guys have some fantasy of how attractive Ukrainian girls will be swooned on street corners.

Krimster - you speak Russian. I don't believe the OP does. Speaking Russian is a game changer and opens many more doors.

Nightwish - if you're chasing MILFs your age then it's a different ballgame to talking up 20-something stunners. Totally different dynamics.

Online krimster2

« Reply #32 on: September 02, 2018, 07:33:38 AM »
"Krimster - you speak Russian. I don't believe the OP does. Speaking Russian is a game changer and opens many more doors."

YES!!! you HAVE to speak some!!!
any amount of time you spend on this will pay you big dividends!!
so the more, the better, lots of resources out there
my family and I still speak Russian as a second language, even 10 yr after we left Ukrainia
if I tell one of my daughters "tvoya spalnya gryaznaya" it carries about 10 times more weight than if I say her "room is messy" in English
not sure why, probably has to do with mama being the family authoritarian figure, and speaking Russian evokes her image
you DO NOT want a Russian mama being cross with you
papa really doesn't care about your room...
only wants to avoid conflicts between children and mama

« Last Edit: September 02, 2018, 07:35:54 AM by krimster2 »

Offline Nightwish

« Reply #33 on: September 02, 2018, 07:47:53 AM »
Russia is different. For random meetings Kiev/Odessa are not the best options in the FSU. I say this based on two visits to each country this year. I simply like conversation with locals (men and women) and had contrasting experiences. But everyone will have unique experiences, I'm just sharing mine in case guys have some fantasy of how attractive Ukrainian girls will be swooned on street corners.

Krimster - you speak Russian. I don't believe the OP does. Speaking Russian is a game changer and opens many more doors.

Nightwish - if you're chasing MILFs your age then it's a different ballgame to talking up 20-something stunners. Totally different dynamics.
Absolutely right, but I was  - as most men - new and naive when I started this and chased after the 20:s something stunners, but always with the same approach to this and with a quite successful history.
That I changed my targets had more to do with me realizing I could/would not give the younger women what they wanted as in a child of her own one day.

I still maintain the view that with an honest and open approach, some people skills, being genuine interested in the culture, the country, the people (and the woman) - it's not even hard to make serious progress.
My approach was from the start - I treat it as mainly a vacation, with the bonus of meeting interesting and serious (gorgeous) women. One did not exclude the other.
Multitasking means screwing up several things at once.

Offline msmob

« Reply #34 on: September 02, 2018, 08:04:10 AM »

I still maintain the view that with an honest and open approach, some people skills, being genuine interested in the culture, the country, the people (and the woman) - it's not even hard to make serious progress.

gold

Online krimster2

« Reply #35 on: September 02, 2018, 08:23:06 AM »
"I still maintain the view that with an honest and open approach, some people skills, being genuine interested in the culture, the country, the people (and the woman) - it's not even hard to make serious progress."

yes, and not just with the devs
the two MOST PROFOUND conversations I've had in my ENTIRE LIFE
were in Russian with locals
one was a veteran of Stalingrad, a little old man I approached from behind on Victory Day as we were both scaling a steep hill
he was struggling so I offered him my arm
from behind i didn't see the chest full of medals
he saw I was a foreigner
he was tired, so we sat together on a bench
two veterans telling each other their stories
still holding each other's arms
his stories were MUCH better than mine
I don't mind admitting to tears later

second profound meeting
was a retired elementary pensioner
a woman in her early 70's
I told her my grandmother was born in Ukraine
near Nezhin, up North
and that I had hoped that I was going to be part
of a returning diaspora to help build a new Ukraine
but instead I found life so hard there, that instead of me
affecting some change in Ukraine
it went the other way round
and Ukraine changed me instead
and I became just like everyone else
just trying to survive
she held my hand when I told her this
and told me to have faith in something
and no matter how bad things got
to always hold on to this faith
it had a profound effect on me

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 540999
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 11
Guests: 1940
Total: 1951

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 07:00:25 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Brillynt
Today at 06:16:36 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:20:42 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 09:12:54 PM

Yesterday at 09:02:12 PM

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 08:45:42 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 07:59:27 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 07:04:53 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 06:59:45 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 06:57:42 PM