It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: More Bad News for Russia  (Read 1075940 times)

Offline msmobyone

• patriotism is the last vestige of fools, but hey
  • Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #4975 on: June 27, 2016, 11:50:56 PM »
JayH

the article does not make it clear..are these the EU sanctions relating to Crimea .... or relating to MH17 / 'away games' in E.Ukraine?

Please excuse the Curmudgeon in my posts ..he will be cured by being reunited with his loved one ;)

Offline TigerPaws

• 16 years together & still very much in love

Offline Boethius

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: No Selection
More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #4977 on: June 28, 2016, 12:22:03 PM »
Seems news from a month ago or more is not very relevant.

http://euobserver.com/foreign/134059
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline Boethius

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #4978 on: June 28, 2016, 12:25:00 PM »
Incidentally, the French vote was non binding.  It was passed 55-44, in an assembly with 577 sitting members.
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline TigerPaws

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #4979 on: June 28, 2016, 05:00:23 PM »
Incidentally, the French vote was non binding.  It was passed 55-44, in an assembly with 577 sitting members.
You are correct the vote is not binding, still the French vote and the statements coming out of Germany point to a direction.

Europe is tired of a failed policy and wants to normalize relations with Russia.

Offline Boethius

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #4980 on: June 28, 2016, 05:33:47 PM »
The EU just extended sanctions.

Offline TigerPaws

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #4981 on: June 28, 2016, 06:49:58 PM »
The EU just extended sanctions.
Yes for 6 months, then what? All it takes is one member state to say no and the game is up.

Offline AkMike

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: Resident
More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #4982 on: June 28, 2016, 07:35:10 PM »
JayH

the article does not make it clear..are these the EU sanctions relating to Crimea .... or relating to MH17 / 'away games' in E.Ukraine?

Does it matter?  :cluebat: :cluebat:

Offline msmobyone

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #4983 on: June 28, 2016, 10:48:20 PM »
It matters for those who are interested in accuracy......
Please excuse the Curmudgeon in my posts ..he will be cured by being reunited with his loved one ;)

Offline msmobyone

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #4984 on: June 28, 2016, 10:56:55 PM »
Yes for 6 months, then what? All it takes is one member state to say no and the game is up.

Where you one of those telling us that Europe would not agree to continue this time?..

May be better not to suggest the feelings of EU citizens on rhis matter. Your 'opinion' seems more based on wishful thinking than fact...

[/quote]

Offline TigerPaws

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #4985 on: June 29, 2016, 08:10:28 AM »
Where you one of those telling us that Europe would not agree to continue this time?..

May be better not to suggest the feelings of EU citizens on rhis matter. Your 'opinion' seems more based on wishful thinking than fact...
Wishful thinking?

Like many others I firmly believed the British vote would favor stay, I was very surprised when the vote was clearly to leave. Good for the British people, they have taken the first steps to regain their sovereignty as a free and independent people.

Hopefully others will follow and foster the continuation of the movement towards freedom from bureaucratic control

Offline AkMike

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #4986 on: June 29, 2016, 08:29:55 AM »
It matters for those who are interested in accuracy......

Then do your own due diligence. Russia is being 'spanked' for invasion as well as the airliner.

Offline AkMike

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #4987 on: June 29, 2016, 09:54:37 AM »
Finally a snippet of good news for Russia!  :clapping:

Vodka production is up 30%!

Of course that is because they busted 11 illegal plants making untaxed vodka so the legal ones stepped up to fill the void. Way to go! Keep the unwashed masses drunk and happy.

http://www.themoscowtimes.com/business/article/russian-vodka-production-up-by-30/573745.html

Offline msmobyone

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #4988 on: June 29, 2016, 11:27:42 PM »
Then do your own due diligence. Russia is being 'spanked' for invasion as well as the airliner.

I have... hence my question to JayH .... I expect neither of you realised that there are TWO sets of sanctions..

1/ relating to Crimea

2/ relating to 'away games in e.Ukraine'

'Our' sanctions target those close to the Kremlin or support / derive benefit from it's policies...the 'spanking' is the Russian 'counter sanctions' on w.farmers....  not that that should discourage the principle. 

Offline msmobyone

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #4989 on: June 29, 2016, 11:32:31 PM »
Wishful thinking?

Like many others I firmly believed the British vote would favor stay,

Nice try to deflect.... my 'wishful thinking' observation on your part was the 'ending' of sanctions - which didn't happen ....

If I only had a GBP for every time I heard 'next time you'll see' every time they are renewed - this is the 4/5th time, re Crimea.....

Offline JayH

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #4990 on: June 30, 2016, 12:24:35 AM »
I trust you are not suggesting that Mike or I are not aware of the detail of the sanctions !! mmmm
Personally-if I was negotiating with Russia-- I would say-- "The sanctions will not be lifted for an equivalent time Russia takes to comply"-ie  that is 18 months now-- so Russia complies-then 18 months !!Russia is gambling on outlasting EU resolve-- and still being in a position to dictate terms-that idea needs to be removed.
Meanwhile-

As some in EU wobble, Merkel and Hollande confirm extension of sanctions on Russia

The EU first imposed economic sanctions against Russia in July 2014 and in March 2015 “the European Council linked the duration of those economic restrictions to the complete implementation of the Minsk agreements,” EU official website states.

http://www.kyivpost.com/article/content/ukraine-politics/as-some-in-eu-wobble-merkel-and-hollande-confirm-extension-of-sanctions-on-russia-417409.html
SLAVA UKRAYINI  ! HEROYAM SLAVA!!!!
Слава Украине! Слава героям слава!Слава Україні! Слава героям!
 translated as: Glory to Ukraine! Glory to the heroes!!!  is a Ukrainian greeting slogan being used now all over Ukraine to signify support for a free independent Ukraine

Offline JayH

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #4991 on: June 30, 2016, 01:37:34 AM »
The worlds biggest country geographically is doing it's best to become a 3rd world country!

Russia's Disgrace

According to the latest data from the International Monetary Fund, Russia's economy in terms roughly equivalent to Australia and South Korea concedes. Her role as an exporter is not so significant as the role of Belgium, Mexico and Singapore.

And it is - poor. World Bank for per capita GDP the size of the population has placed Russia below Lithuania, Equatorial Guinea and Kazakhstan. The proportion of the population living below the poverty line is higher in Russia than in India, Indonesia and Sri Lanka. Global Competition Index placed Russia on the 67th, the UN Human Development Index - 66 th place.

http://www.technosotnya.com/2016/06/Skott-Gilmor-opozoril-Rossiju-na-ves-mir-vystupiv-s-shokirujushhim-zajavleniem.html
SLAVA UKRAYINI  ! HEROYAM SLAVA!!!!
Слава Украине! Слава героям слава!Слава Україні! Слава героям!
 translated as: Glory to Ukraine! Glory to the heroes!!!  is a Ukrainian greeting slogan being used now all over Ukraine to signify support for a free independent Ukraine

Offline alex330

• Trips: 4 - 10
More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #4992 on: June 30, 2016, 02:00:31 AM »
And it is - poor. World Bank for per capita GDP the size of the population has placed Russia below Lithuania, Equatorial Guinea and Kazakhstan. The proportion of the population living below the poverty line is higher in Russia than in India, Indonesia and Sri Lanka.

I've always wondered about this. The Russia I see on TV seems to have quite a number of wealthy people and my wife's last trip to Moscow she said there was wealth and business appeared fine. I imagine much of the poverty lies outside the major cities? Obviously the shows on TV only show the rich jet setter kids so not a true reflection of the country as a whole.

Offline msmobyone

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #4993 on: June 30, 2016, 06:24:32 AM »
I trust you are not suggesting that Mike or I are not aware of the detail of the sanctions !! mmmm

That's
exactly what I'm saying - and your [ non  ] alacrity re telling us which set of sanctions were being renewed amply demonstrated my point... :popcorn:

Offline Anotherkiwi

• Trips: 1 - 3
More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #4994 on: June 30, 2016, 06:02:37 PM »
I've always wondered about this. The Russia I see on TV seems to have quite a number of wealthy people and my wife's last trip to Moscow she said there was wealth and business appeared fine. I imagine much of the poverty lies outside the major cities? Obviously the shows on TV only show the rich jet setter kids so not a true reflection of the country as a whole.

I would guess that there's now plenty of poverty inside the cities as well.  One of our TV channels has just shown a BBC documentary called "Across Russia on Four Wheels," in which two of their journalists, starting in Sochi, drove different routes and vehicles, meeting all sorts of people along the way.  One drove an ancient Soviet Umaz jeep (which kept breaking down) through Volgograd, Togliatti, Perm, Chelyabinsk and Ekaterinburg, ending near the border with Kazakhstan.  The other drove an oligarch's "Kombat" (four ton armoured equivalent of a Hummer) to Moscow, St Petersburg and Murmansk.  In St Petersburg she met a group of people from the "Stans," and their lifestyle is quite different from the yuppies of the "reality" shows.  :o

The most interesting part of the show for me, however, was not what they did - it was the fact that the documentary was made just before the Sochi Winter Olympics, and they were granted all sorts of access permissions that were absolutely mind-boggling.  The guy driving east even managed to get into the gulag museum at Perm 64, as well as the annual arms fair at Nizhny Tagil, for goodness' sake - where he bumped into Prime Minister Medvedyev!  Somehow I don't think they would be able to do the same thing now.

Offline AkMike

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #4995 on: June 30, 2016, 08:09:11 PM »
I have... hence my question to JayH .... I expect neither of you realised that there are TWO sets of sanctions..

1/ relating to Crimea

2/ relating to 'away games in e.Ukraine'

'Our' sanctions target those close to the Kremlin or support / derive benefit from it's policies...the 'spanking' is the Russian 'counter sanctions' on w.farmers....  not that that should discourage the principle.

We're very much aware of two sets of sanctions but by the way you worded it you weren't at that point.  You must have done some DD and found out all by your lonesome.

More sanctions are needed against Russia for their continued "away games" and ignoring the Minsk agreement I and II

Offline AkMike

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #4996 on: June 30, 2016, 09:21:12 PM »
At least one Russian "get's it".

Russian diplomat: "Sooner or later, Russia will have to apologize to Ukraine and compensate for damages inflicted" Ex-Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs of Russia (1991-1993), Ambassador Georgiy Kunadze in an interview with UNIAN has told about similarities in the Kremlin's decisions to deploy troops in Afghanistan in 1979 and in Ukraine in 2014, and why the Russian special operations in Crimea and Donbas were in fact failures.

Read more on UNIAN: http://www.unian.info/politics/1392256-russian-diplomat-sooner-or-later-russia-will-have-to-apologize-to-ukraine-and-compensate-for-damages-inflicted.html

Offline msmobyone

More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #4997 on: June 30, 2016, 11:01:45 PM »
We're very much aware of two sets of sanctions

Koneshno....

Offline alex330

• Trips: 4 - 10
More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #4998 on: July 01, 2016, 09:06:22 AM »
I would guess that there's now plenty of poverty inside the cities as well.  One of our TV channels has just shown a BBC documentary called "Across Russia on Four Wheels," in which two of their journalists, starting in Sochi, drove different routes and vehicles, meeting all sorts of people along the way.  One drove an ancient Soviet Umaz jeep (which kept breaking down) through Volgograd, Togliatti, Perm, Chelyabinsk and Ekaterinburg, ending near the border with Kazakhstan.  The other drove an oligarch's "Kombat" (four ton armoured equivalent of a Hummer) to Moscow, St Petersburg and Murmansk.  In St Petersburg she met a group of people from the "Stans," and their lifestyle is quite different from the yuppies of the "reality" shows.  :o

Sounds like an interesting show. Spasibo Kiwi.

Offline Anotherkiwi

• Trips: 1 - 3
More Bad News for Russia
« Reply #4999 on: July 03, 2016, 03:34:06 AM »
Russian Health Ministry Bans Patients from Dying to 'Not Ruin Stats'

Headline/quote of the year, surely!!!!!

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541017
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2385
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 10
Guests: 2219
Total: 2229

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 09:57:04 PM

Re: Plumber earnings by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 09:37:55 PM

Plumber earnings by ML
Yesterday at 07:49:26 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 07:23:34 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 06:28:48 PM

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by 2tallbill
Yesterday at 04:48:07 PM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Yesterday at 04:37:18 PM

If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by 2tallbill
Yesterday at 04:17:08 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 02:48:08 PM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Yesterday at 01:09:03 PM