It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: 13th Anniversary.........and a small story  (Read 16588 times)

Offline Anotherkiwi

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: 1 - 3
Re: 13th Anniversary.........and a small story
« Reply #50 on: October 31, 2016, 03:16:13 AM »
Stepson Artur with Black Drum

(now too small but you get the idea - one proud young man)

You need new glasses, Gator!  That's a fish, not a drum!  ;D

Offline CaptB

• Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #51 on: October 31, 2016, 03:41:50 AM »
Gator,

Grouper is the fish of choice for me.....to catch.....to eat in restaurants. We were on Providenciales in the Turks & Caicos islands last year. We asked the locals what were the best seafood restaurants on Provo. "Mr. Grouper" was almost a unanimous choice. Just for grouper alone.....they cooked it 11 different ways. We were there 8 days....so I tried all but 3 :-) The locals mentioned the expensive restaurants (like the one at Sandals)......but said most of those places seafood preparation was....."inferior". Also while there.......we got hooked on fried plantains as a side to fish.......week cook them ourselves now. Our secret source......Walmart. We have not told the guy who restocks fruits...that the almost black plantains (unlike bananas)......are just getting ripe.....and are not spoiled. He will give us a 5 pound bag......for a buck :-) :-)

Capt B
"A Yooper in Moscovia"

Offline CaptB

« Reply #52 on: November 05, 2016, 01:38:19 AM »
We were married at about 11:00 am. Our first reception was where we were married.......in Zhukovsky........about 30 miles from Moscow. The majority of folks living in Zhukovsky work in Moscow......and travel there by electric train. Our reception.....the first of two......was at my wife's cousin's home. She was a pediatrician.....and her husband "Valeri" worked for a wealthy new-Russian family....as a sort-of jack of all trades......................most days a chauffeur. Valeri and I immediately bonded......especially after a conversation about our love for traditional small craft (boats). A really....really....great guy. They lived with their two kids.....girl in high school.....son in college.....and last but not least......."aunt Nina". Nina was fit....tough.....and crusty.....but a great gal.......and super cook. I liked her immediately. We had a great reception dinner at about 3pm. About a dozen people......great food.....good company. All there....made me feel at home. My wife's Father had passed-away many years before.....so "Valeri".....was the acting head of the family. Valeri and his wife Irina.....did not drink often......and wine was the drink of choice on these rare occasions. Under Valeri's chair.....I noticed two fifths of vodka. About midway through the meal.......I pointed to the bottles. Valeri said ne'pazhowsta...ne. After a pause.....he realized he forgot about his "duties"......as family head. I would have preferred to skip the tradition of getting shit-faced with the male family head......but just wanted to get it over with. We got very "shit-faced".......but had a lot of fun. I ended being a disgrace to the "American" faction......and ended-up "hugging"......the "porcelain god". I am not much of a drinker.....and eventually "evacuated" (orally)......into "the god"........of porcelain.

Later in the afternoon.......we further entertained our wives by taking them for a five mile hike around a local lake......carrying our wives....at various times. Valeri eventually had to admit defeat......and emptied his stomach full of vodka. We eventually made it back to their flat and continued the party until around midnight. The next evening we departed....by train....for Stavropol.....my wife's city......about a 24 hour trip. I only knew Valeri for a few days.....but he became to me....like a brother.

We arrived in Stavropol the next day. We had two days to make arrangements for our second reception. We chose to have it at a restaurant called Ukrania. It was octagon-shaped......and made of logs. In the center of the city......the property occupied and entire city block. Most of the property was trees and shrubs......with a path......about 50 meters long....to the restaurant. It had originally been a bakery......with the huge..round...brick oven in the center. Each "wedge" of the octogon.....was a separate dining area.
We reserved the "wedge" that contained a small stage.....for bands, musicians etc. Our reception was on a Friday night.....and a band was playing. The spread of food was very good in Zhukovsky. The spread we had in Stavropol......amazing!!! We had a total of 16 quest. We had chicken, pork & esetrina (sturgeon). We had seven or eight salads. Peas, potatoes, broccoli and Korean salad with "sparsha". Fruit salads, fruit. Tea, coffee, red wine, white wine (both Georgian), champagne.........and of course.....vodka. We had a three-tiered wedding cake. Everyone to home a doggy-bag. The total bill for the reception..........$224 US (2003) !!!! Most fun I ever had at anyone's wedding reception. The band was great.....playing a song "Go home....America". At first got me fighting mad....then my wife explains it was a very popular song when she was in college. The song meant a nostalgia of wanting to "see"....America......and of things American. The owners of the restaurant even gave my wife and I an expensive (for Russia) bottle of vodka.

We were all a little "punked"......the next day.......except for my MIL......who is always energetic. I was to stay for another week. We made a few road trips.....to see friends....relatives......etc. I left for Michigan....after three weeks in Russia. We started the K-3 process......which ultimately was about a 10 month wait. I won't go into any immigration details.....things have changed over these past 13 years. We were married August 8..........she would arrive about mid-june.....of the following year. I went for one visit in late December, 2003......I will talk about that visit.....next time.

Capt B
"A Yooper in Moscovia"

Offline CaptB

« Reply #53 on: November 12, 2016, 04:40:23 AM »
We had been married for four months.......still waiting on K-3 approval. Vika did her thing.....working at the International Language institute.....and I.....my work. We talked on the phone every night. In early December I told her that I would be coming on Christmas day. My idea was that no one (normally true) was flying on Christmas day (Dec. 25)......so.......tickets would be cheap and available..............WRONG !!!! I think about every Russian in the USA......decided the same thing. All flights on December 25 to Russia.......were full. I found a ticket available on my birthday.....Dec. 27. Via and her friends Yuri & Seta......picked me up at the local (Stavropol) airport the next day. Although I did not (technically) arrive until the 28th......a birthday party was waiting for me. Vika, her Mother, Sister, niece......and about 10 friends......including the two Canadians (Paul & Steve) were in attendance. I was there for two weeks......enough time for my (western) new years......and Russian new years. On the second day of my visit
.....we went to the local outdoor market to shop for food for the first new years celebration. My "wife" asked me what I would like for dinner on new years......I replied....."turkey" :-) In 2003 turkey was not common......but sometimes available. After a long search.......we found a very old woman (late eighties....I am guessing)....who had one very lean looking....dressed.....10 lb turkey. I tried my best to negotiate a better price......she was a tough old bird (the lady....not the turkey).....and would not budge. She had sized me up......knew I was American......and wanted $10 US (about $1/lb). My wife said...."no way".........."that is outrageous!!! I gave her a US $10 bill.....and took the bird.......and winked at the old lady. She grinned ear to ear.

The next day it was time to cook the turkey. I had brought my own "sage"....in case it was not in wide-spread use (in Russia). I made stuffing with bread cubes, sage, salt, pepper, celery & onion.....and stuffed the bird. Russian (and almost every country in the world) ovens are in celsius.....I did not have a clue as to the setting. "Mom" took over.
She set the temp on the oven.....slathered "mayonnaise" (what the "F") all over my beautiful bird!!!!!!!......and put it in the over. Vika told her mother to treat it like a goose (about the same size)......and I was now out of the loop....as chef. I had brought (smuggled) a one pound bag of cranberries past customs. I made cranberry sauce with oranges. When dinner was served.....the turkey received rave reviews. This turkey was what you call "free range". No drugs, hormones, antibiotics. The body was shaped more like a goose.....than the genetically modified....."American turkeys". That Russian turkey was the best tasting turkey I have ever had. And the "mayonnaise" treatment ? I have made my own "home made" mayonnaise. You start with a few egg yolks.......beating in a stand-up mixer. A squeeze of lemon juice......and a small amount of salt & pepper. Next.......you start pouring vegetable oil (olive is my choice) into the egg yolks in a very thin stream (like a thick pencil lead).....beating all the time. About a pint of oil will be absorbed by the yolks. The whole point of this "mayonnaise" treatise.......is that mayo is 99%........oil. Slathering it all over the bird......will slowly melt (baste) when roasted.......and make the bird "Martha Stewart".......golden brown. Any chicken, pork, turkey, pot roast etc......now gets the "mayo treatment"..........in our home.

We had a nice two weeks together. We went to a movie....."Love Actually".....a Brit/American collaboration.....very funny. We had Sturgeon at the "New Rome" restaurant....and went dancing. The band was very good......and played a Joe Cocker song. My favorite Joe Cocker song is "My Father's Son". I bet my wife that the band knew it.......my wife said......"probably not". I left the table and approached the band at the end of their set. I asked the lead singer.....in my terrible Russian......Joe Cocker....."Father's Son".......he replied "Da....Da"..........I gave him a US $5 bill. The next set.....the first song......"My Father's Son". My wife realized she had not married.....a dim wit. We danced. Half of the floor was clear.......exposing a koi fish pond....underneath. Part of that pond was "open". With my wild dance moves......my wife thought I would fall into the pond.......but it didn't happen. All of our local (in Northern Michigan) dance places seem to have disappeared over the years.......but in Russia.....they are thriving. I have always had a lot of fun in Russia......and the people are mostly.....great. My relatives and friends in Russia.....make me feel connected.....to things Russian. Being married to a Russian is definitely not "easier". On the contrary......culture will get in the way sometimes. But being married to someone from another culture ads so much more to your life. Life is just much more interesting......if you are the "right" kind of person for the job. Cultural differences can work against you.....making your life more difficult. If you have an open mind.....and can just accept......and not criticize........it really can enrich your life. My wife and I have our moments......but in the end.....we really "like" each other. "Love" will take care of itself. I believe "like" is one of the most underrated words relating to a relationship. You ever watch "90 Day Fiancee" TV show ?
Most of those people use the word "love".......when they don't appear to "like"......or "respect" each other. (NOTE: Please leave the discussion of "90 Day Fiancee" for a new thread.....thanks).

My buddy JB ......who used to be a regular "rabble rouser" on this forum......always said: "Courting or being married to an RW is a "graduate level class". Those that were married and divorced (implying they actually learned from the experience) were at an advantage......over those (usually) younger folks who were experiencing marriage for the first time. This is why the average guy in this endeavor......is older. Some younger folks will be successful.......there are acceptions to almost everything. My friends (a dozen or so) who are married (long time) to FSUW.......have commented on a richer life experience. Definitely not easier......but much more interesting.

I left for home after two weeks. Vika and I made arrangements at a local driving school.....before I left.....so she could learn how to drive a car for the first time. She really appreciated learning in Russia......and not the US. Although her english was probably better than 99% of the FSUW on the forum......she explained to me "why" learning in Russia was better. In an "emergency situation".....she would immediately hear Russian commands......english would be a little delayed. It is for this reason alone.....we decided lessons in Russia might be a better fit (and less stress on the "husband". Best $200 US I ever spent. When she finally arrived in the states I took her out driving every day for about 20-30 minutes. In three weeks she went for her driving exam.....and passed with flying colors...................but that in itself.............is another........separate........story.

Capt B

"A Yooper in Moscovia"

Offline BillyB

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #54 on: November 12, 2016, 02:44:43 PM »
My idea was that no one (normally true) was flying on Christmas day (Dec. 25)......so.......tickets would be cheap and available..............WRONG !!!! I think about every Russian in the USA......decided the same thing. All flights on December 25 to Russia.......were full.

For the newbies here, Russians living in America get their Christmas holiday break the same time we do but many don't celebrate Christmas Dec 25. Russian Orthodox Christians and most Russians celebrate Christmas Jan 7 and may celebrate old New Years Jan 14. Make sense they'd use Dec 25 to leave town. Just another day to them and a portion of their flight to the FSU would be cheaper if they have layovers in USA or Europe.
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline CaptB

« Reply #55 on: November 19, 2016, 04:25:12 AM »
My wife got her drivers license (international in Russia). I highly recommend that you arrange for your spouse (or finance) to get their drivers license in their home country. No matter how good their english is.....reaction time will be severely reduced.....when commands are given by a US instructor. Buy her lessons.....let her be taught in her own language. After receiving her international drivers license in Russia.....my wife picked-up driving in the USA rather quickly. In most states.....you must get a local (state) drivers license within a specified (usually 30 - 60 days) period of time. My wife is a great driver....except for parallel parking. We went to the Secretary of States office to apply for a "Michigan" drivers license. We got the worst possible person working there. In later talking to two other employees....we learned this particular person.....had a real problem with "immigrants". According to the other employees.......she always made things difficult for them. She basically told my wife that her "international drivers license" was basically "worthless" (not true).....and that she would have to start from scratch. I could feel the veins protruding from my neck.....my wife was practically in tears. I told her she was wrong.....and that we would be back.......in a few days. She said......it will take more than a few days.....she needs lessons.....a certificate....needs to take a drivers test with a state tester etc. etc. I replied......"WE WILL SEE". The next day I called the Michigan Secretary of States office. We had the best luck possible. The woman who answered the phone.....was not the "regular" employee......who happened to be on a lunch-break.......but the officer who was at the very top in the drivers bureau. I explained what had happened in our local office. This officer was a little agitated after the telling of our story. Apparently there were other complaints about the women in our local office. She said she would contact the (Marquette) local office with an e-mail.......specifically directed to "the woman" who had waited on us. She told us to go to this woman.............."specifically". Our number was called.....I told the guy that we were to go to "the woman"........as indicated by "the BOSS".....at the state office. We were directed to "the woman"....several minutes later. She seemed agitated.....and asked why we were back so soon. I told her to look on her computer......that there was a message from....."THE BOSS". She read it.......paused.....and said...."if that is what she (the Boss) wants. The "Boss" instructed the woman to give my wife the short 20 question test (she answered correctly 19 out of 20)......take her photo.......and give her .......her license !!!!!!!!! Apparently she was removed from customer service.....shortly thereafter.

Capt B

"A Yooper in Moscovia"

Offline CaptB

« Reply #56 on: April 08, 2017, 03:32:13 AM »
My wife adapted to American life within a month or so. She first worked a a daycare center......to get her feet wet. A year later we relocated from the Upper Peninsula of Michigan to the Northern Lower peninsula (of Michigan). After relocation she started a job at a Kohl's Dept. Store. Within six months she was promoted to a management position (now going on 12 years). At the same time she taught 1 or 2 classes each semester at a local Davenport University branch.......for 6 years.......and has worked a a substitute teacher also. According to my wife.....this is the last "winter" we are spending.......in Michigan :-) She (we) has her heart set on Venice, Florida. Once these (RW) have their mind made-up................................

Cape B
"A Yooper in Moscovia"

Offline BillyB

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: > 10
« Reply #57 on: April 08, 2017, 11:34:50 AM »
Once these (RW) have their mind made-up................................

............resistance is futile. In the home, if mama is'nt happy, nobody is happy. Get to a happy place. It's why Gator is always smiling.
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline CaptB

« Reply #58 on: August 11, 2017, 04:15:38 AM »
Hi all,

We were out of town. Just wanted to post that Vika and I just had our 14th wedding anniversary August 8, 2017.

Capt B
"A Yooper in Moscovia"

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541001
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 11
Guests: 1891
Total: 1902

+-Recent Posts

What to do by 2tallbill
Today at 09:37:41 AM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by 2tallbill
Today at 09:18:17 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 07:00:25 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Brillynt
Today at 06:16:36 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:20:42 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 09:12:54 PM

Yesterday at 09:02:12 PM

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 08:45:42 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 07:59:27 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 07:04:53 PM