It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Music I love  (Read 344591 times)

Offline Boethius

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: No Selection
Re: Music I love
« Reply #1700 on: November 15, 2019, 12:09:32 AM »
As he came up in a post today, here is Robbie Williams live.  Performance starts around 1:18, but the preceding will tell you who he is in the UK (even though he now lives in Los Angeles) -

This post was composed without the aid of google.
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline SANDRO43

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #1701 on: November 17, 2019, 08:49:27 AM »
Tico-Tico no Fubá

"Sparrow in the cornmeal" is a lively song composed in 1917 by Zequinha de Abreu, here in the 1947 move Copacabana, sung by Portuguese-born Brazilian actress Carmen Miranda, noted for her signature fruit-hat outfit she wore in her American films.

Milan's "Duomo"

Offline SANDRO43

« Reply #1702 on: November 17, 2019, 09:02:51 AM »
UNUSUAL MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS-1

The glass harmonica was invented in 1761 by Benjamin Franklin. It consists of a series of glass bowls or goblets graduated in size to produce musical tones by rubbing a wet finger over them.

A similar result can be obtained with a number of crystal glasses partially filled with water at different heights. 

« Last Edit: November 17, 2019, 09:31:58 AM by SANDRO43 »
Milan's "Duomo"

Offline SANDRO43

« Reply #1703 on: November 17, 2019, 09:25:23 AM »
UNUSUAL MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS-2

The theremin was invented by Léon Theremin (Лев Термен), who patented the device in 1928. The theremin is distinguished among musical instruments in that it is played without physical contact. The thereminist stands in front of the instrument and moves his or her hands in the proximity of two metal antennas. The distance from one antenna determines frequency (pitch), and the distance from the other controls amplitude (volume).

Its eerie sounds have been included in various TV series and films, like Forbidden Planet, a 1956 science fiction movie starring Walter Pidgeon, Anne Francis and Leslie Nielsen.

Russian composer Dmitri Shostakovich was one of the first to incorporate parts for the theremin in orchestral pieces, including a use in his score for the 1931 film Odna.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2019, 09:30:35 AM by SANDRO43 »
Milan's "Duomo"

Offline tfcrew

• North Texas... Married 21 years
  • Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #1704 on: December 20, 2019, 03:00:45 PM »
Done by The Minutemen...a cover of a Creedence song written by John Fogerty
I think it is as good [if not better] than the original----

~There is no one more blind than those who refuse to see and none more deaf as those who will not listen~
~Think about the intelligence of the average person and then realize that half of the people are even more stupid than that~

Offline tfcrew

« Reply #1705 on: December 20, 2019, 03:10:28 PM »
UNUSUAL?   You got it ... The Marbleodian------

~There is no one more blind than those who refuse to see and none more deaf as those who will not listen~
~Think about the intelligence of the average person and then realize that half of the people are even more stupid than that~

Offline SANDRO43

« Reply #1706 on: December 20, 2019, 05:55:57 PM »
UNUSUAL?   You got it ... The Marbleodian------
Visually spectacular but musically insignificant: in the video it plays just a simple 8-note melody in 2 variations.

It uses the same working principle of much older contraptions:

Milan's "Duomo"

Offline tfcrew

Music I love--- Mariah's new Christmas video
« Reply #1707 on: December 20, 2019, 09:58:20 PM »

Visually spectacular but musically insignificant 
And it's creator took all that time to build it!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mariah Carey's official video for “All I Want For Christmas Is You (Make My Wish Come True Edition)” ---
Lot's of eye candy cane if you haven't seen it yet. Must have cost a bunch to produce. One wonders how long it took Mariah to get into those tights?

Offline JohnDearGreen

• It's 5 o'clock somewhere...
« Reply #1708 on: December 24, 2019, 05:40:11 PM »

Guantanamera
Frequently used in Ballroom Competition ChaCha

Offline tfcrew

« Reply #1709 on: January 13, 2020, 07:32:29 AM »
It uses the same working principle of much older contraptions:
The theremin was invented by Léon Theremin (Лев Термен),  Its eerie sounds have been included in various TV series and films, like Forbidden Planet, a 1956 science fiction movie starring Walter Pidgeon, Anne Francis and Leslie Nielsen.
Forbidden Planet's innovative electronic music score, credited as "electronic tonalities", partly to avoid having to pay any of the film industry music guild fees, [30] was composed by Bebe and Louis Barron... While the theremin (which was not used in Forbidden Planet) had been used on the soundtrack of Alfred Hitchcock's Spellbound (1945), the Barrons' electronic composition is credited with being the first completely electronic film score; their soundtrack preceded the invention of the Moog synthesizer by eight years (1964). Louis Barron constructed his own electronic circuits that he used to generate the score's "bleeps, blurps, whirs, whines, throbs, hums, and screeches".[15] Most of these sounds were generated using an electronic circuit called a "ring modulator".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forbidden_Planet#Soundtrack

You can make a 'really poor man's theremin' by putting a marble or small ball bearing inside a balloon and then blowing it up and rolling the marble around inside. Here is another stab at it from the marble man called an Ondophone. It sounds sort of like a theremin ----

I have always wanted to build the Barron ring modulator which I saw demoed on TV when I was a kid.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 10:21:40 AM by SANDRO43 »

Offline tfcrew

« Reply #1710 on: January 13, 2020, 07:13:07 PM »
Tico-Tico no Fubá
                                                                                             Carmen Miranda

Regarding that video..I kept waiting for Groucho to say-- 'Is that a banana in her hat or am I just glad to see her'

Offline fathertime

• Trips: > 10
« Reply #1711 on: February 15, 2020, 07:14:33 AM »

Fathertime! 
I just happened to be browsing about the internet....

Offline Boethius

« Reply #1712 on: February 19, 2020, 04:15:45 PM »
I hadn't listed to Vivaldi in a while.  This is one of my favourite interpretations, but then, I'm sort of partial to the late, great Herbert von Karajan.  Ms Mutter, not so much.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 04:19:43 PM by Boethius »
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline SANDRO43

« Reply #1713 on: February 19, 2020, 05:31:34 PM »
Antonio Vivaldi was born in 1678, seven years before J.S.Bach, G.F  Händel and  D. Scarlatti, yet how much does his music sound more "modern" than the other three's. Bach even quoted him in his harpsichord concertos, a practice then considered a homage rather than a plagiarism - music was not printed until Beethoven's times.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 05:45:33 PM by SANDRO43 »
Milan's "Duomo"

Offline Boethius

« Reply #1714 on: February 23, 2020, 03:49:00 PM »
Roy Orbison is the only singer Elvis refused to follow on stage. 

Offline Boethius

« Reply #1715 on: February 23, 2020, 04:09:43 PM »
U2 - Mothers of the Disappeared.

I remember listening to this on a Walkman (remember those?)  while on the train from Kyiv to Moscow - platscard, common if you didn't purchase tickets early.  The better half didn't like traveling at this level, but I liked it.  I told him "We are close to the narod."  For me, it was just a representation of life in the USSR. 

In any event, I was listening to this as people around me, during so called glasnost', were debating politics and the latest front page news article by Solzhenitsyn.

Offline ML

• Trips: > 10
« Reply #1716 on: February 23, 2020, 05:13:05 PM »
Roy Orbison is the only singer Elvis refused to follow on stage. 

Yes, I read that Elvis thought for sure that Roy would surpass him when Elvis went off to the army.

Roy had a 3 octave range.

I think that Roy was held back by his unappealing looks.

Pretty Woman, Only the Lonely and Blue Bayou are really great.

This presentation of Blue Bayou demonstrates his 3 octave ability.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2020, 05:15:20 PM by ML »
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline SANDRO43

« Reply #1717 on: February 29, 2020, 08:50:06 AM »

A Glaswegian playing country ;D.
Milan's "Duomo"

Offline GQBlues

« Reply #1718 on: March 06, 2020, 12:20:05 AM »
Wifey is off to the windy city for her company's annual seminar so had an alone time this evening and decided to dust off the old faithful to keep me company. Feels sooooo good to play and hear these old faves again. Been a'while..trekked back to memory lane kind'a night for me.

Pardon ol' Neil, the naturalist, LMAO. He's got some pretty nice toned down licks with that 6stringer though. 'A minor pentatonic'...

..and this from Stills' 'dropped D' melody...

Quote from: msmob
1. Because of 'man', global warming is causing desert and arid areas to suffer long, dry spell.
2. The 2018 Camp Fire and Woolsey California wildfires are forests burning because of global warming.
3. N95 mask will choke you dead after 30 min. of use.

Online Faux Pas

« Reply #1719 on: March 06, 2020, 08:53:13 AM »

Offline tfcrew

« Reply #1720 on: March 13, 2020, 03:58:34 PM »
Simply entertaining with pure talent-----------------------------------

Offline SANDRO43

« Reply #1721 on: March 13, 2020, 05:54:55 PM »
From 1965 ;):

Milan's "Duomo"

Offline SANDRO43

« Reply #1722 on: March 17, 2020, 05:49:11 PM »
Apropos of infectious contagion ;):

Milan's "Duomo"

Offline JohnDearGreen

• It's 5 o'clock somewhere...
« Reply #1723 on: March 21, 2020, 04:58:59 PM »
While sheltered, I seem to be watching way too many Youtube gloom-and-doom news reports.
When will it all end....Tell me Quando, Quando, Quando
So I take some breaks for entertainment:

Couple #252 in the above video are Armen & Svetlana (in yellow) from Moscow.
Armen is somewhat laid-back and reserved in interviews, but made it to
the top of the competition field.

Offline GQBlues

« Reply #1724 on: March 21, 2020, 05:26:09 PM »
The two influencing artist/band that inspired me to pick-up that guitar were James Taylor and CS&N (Y). The latter likely the only band that will have that magical 3-part harmony...I feel so fortunate to have seen these guys in concerts more than a few times. They sound as great as ever.

Video below is actually a rare interview inside the band..

Their first song I learned to pick, and as easy a song to play, it is one of my all time favorite song.

Best played on a Taylor

My wife absolutely loves it when I get in the mood to play a lot of these songs for her. Her most requested song is JT's "You can Close Your Eyes'. In the beginning she would always asked, 'pliz, play close my eyes'…Yeah, you guessed right. It's 'cultural'...

Just played this ol' tune for her again this morning.

Better played on Martin D40

« Last Edit: March 21, 2020, 05:31:29 PM by GQBlues »
Quote from: msmob
1. Because of 'man', global warming is causing desert and arid areas to suffer long, dry spell.
2. The 2018 Camp Fire and Woolsey California wildfires are forests burning because of global warming.
3. N95 mask will choke you dead after 30 min. of use.

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541002
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 11
Guests: 1863
Total: 1874

+-Recent Posts

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 09:47:10 AM

What to do by 2tallbill
Today at 09:37:41 AM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by 2tallbill
Today at 09:18:17 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 07:00:25 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Brillynt
Today at 06:16:36 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:20:42 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 09:12:54 PM

Yesterday at 09:02:12 PM

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 08:45:42 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 07:59:27 PM