It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Advice for first-timers  (Read 13985 times)

Offline Bruce

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
Advice for first-timers
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2006, 01:40:39 PM »
"Make sure your fiances are in order" -  Too bad this really does apply to some guys out there. 

Rvr, we in the Eastern half of the  USA are still waiting for winter to decide to show up this year, so I'll probably still think summer is cold the next time I show up in Tver.  I like your idea - just think Canada...............all year round!

When I went on my first trip to Russia on an AFA turr.....in 1999 there was a guy who was on his sixth fiance visa.  He was an older guy from either Florida or Texas who brought a young hottie back for as many days as he could, then he'd go back on the old turr.........to find a new hotie for the next 85 or so days, if he could get that much mileage out of her.............  The lawyer who gave us a lecture on the K-1 process that turr....was on his third fiance visa himself.  When I look back it was a great time...............met alot of characters, met some good people, had a blast................but the advice and example was definitely one to remember......................
"A word is dead when it is said, some say.  I say it just begins to live that day."  Emily Dickinson

Offline Rvrwind

• Commercial Member
Advice for first-timers
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2006, 03:54:07 PM »
You mean we need to dress like these guys?

For you that would be an improvement Fred!!!! ROTFLMFAO:D:):D:):D

Bob & Doug MacKenzie...Great Canadian Hero's!!!!:shock:

Like Welcome to the Great White North, eh?

RVR-Canadian Cowboy/Agency Owner
Tver Angels Local and International Introductions
Classy Ladies for Discerning Gentlemen

RVR-Canadian Cowboy
Dyin' is easy, it's livin' thats hard!!!

Offline TwoBitBandit

Advice for first-timers
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2006, 10:25:15 PM »
Quote from: Bruce
Language has been beat to death above, but if you have a hard time with the language, and just can not learn it properly, as most of us can not, then get the translation contingency working for you well before you get there - with backups.

I disagree 100%.

Anyone that is intelligent enough to use the internet CAN learn another language.

Anyone who says that they CAN'T learn another language has a discipline or a confidence problem, not an ability problem.

Offline BC

• Trips: 4 - 10
Advice for first-timers
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2006, 04:15:14 AM »
TwoBit,

Have to agree with you but in the MOB scene I don't think it has too much to do with discipline or confidence..  I think more along the lines of not willing to or just plain too lazy to try.  I would applaud anyone that takes the time and effort to learn RU before going there to meet women that cannot already speak a common language.

Anyone that says they can't learn another language but insist that their future mate  does is being a bit egoistic or?

I personally would write off any prospective partner I could not communicate with directly.

Offline Turboguy

Advice for first-timers
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2006, 05:51:07 AM »
Personally I think learning languages is easy for some and not for others.  I have been trying to learn Russian for 10 years with every method available.  (ie, Pimslerur 1+2 Rosetta stone, Barron's russian fast and easy (the official course of the state depart) language now, ect.)   I can't get much past zdrastwicha and do svedanya.   In school I studied French for 3 years and that was my toughest subject.  Give me a good calculus course and I was fine.  If I waited till I could communicate in Russian I could visit the assisted living places to find my bride.

Another thing I have that I like is called a sock safe.  You can find them where travel things are sold.  Always split up your money.   Carry your wallet in the front pocket.   I saw someone said why worry about money just use the ATM.  That seems to be common.  I am not an ATM person.  I have not used one even here in 15 years.  I usually go with $ 3000 - 5000 depending on the trip.   Another good thing to take is immodium or something like that.  My one EC tour to kiev and moscow everyone was sick and I have always carried it with me even though I have avoided the problem since.  

Offline latstaley

Advice for first-timers
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2006, 09:34:31 AM »
Should I be concerned about bringing a pair of backup shoes as well as comfortable ones? I lost a pair of shoes in Ireland a few years ago and had a little trouble finding another pair because I have clown sized feet. I had a little trouble finding a size 14 shoe before. Is that going to be a difficult size to find in the FSU?

Offline RussianGal

• Commercial Member
Advice for first-timers
« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2006, 10:17:28 AM »
Quote from: Turboguy
... Another good thing to take is immodium or something like that. My one EC tour to kiev and moscow everyone was sick and I have always carried it with me even though I have avoided the problem since...

Good point!
I noticed airports/airplanes are very common places to catch something.

We take 'Airborne' to prevent it and it works great!

Also, some hand sanitizer,  like 'Purell' is useful. Not always you can find a bathroom, so it is quite handy.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2006, 10:18:00 AM by RussianGal »
Translation, Consultation, 3-Way Call - it can be done by RussianGal.

Offline BC

Advice for first-timers
« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2006, 10:33:00 AM »
lastaley,

shoes that size should not be a problem as long as you are in Siberia in winter..  don't they use snowshoes there?

LOL.. just funnin ya..

Seriously though take good comfortable walking shoes appropriate for the season.  Wear them on the plane that way they won't get lost in baggage.  Always take an extra set of underwear/socks/shirt and your usual toilet stuff in carry on baggage.

Many major European airports have showers available so if you want to arrive really 'fresh' and have a couple hour layover in an EU airporttake a towel with you. (if you forget you can usually buy toiletries and disposable towels in the shower rooms.)

Offline al-c

Advice for first-timers
« Reply #33 on: February 09, 2006, 10:45:35 AM »
Quote from: BC
lastaley,

shoes that size should not be a problem as long as you are in Siberia in winter..  don't they use snowshoes there?

LOL.. just funnin ya..

Seriously though take good comfortable walking shoes appropriate for the season.  Wear them on the plane that way they won't get lost in baggage.  Always take an extra set of underwear/socks/shirt and your usual toilet stuff in carry on baggage.

Many major European airports have showers available so if you want to arrive really 'fresh' and have a couple hour layover in an EU airporttake a towel with you. (if you forget you can usually buy toiletries and disposable towels in the shower rooms.)

I, for one, travel in a suit and tie because the business like appearance gets me through customs and ticket counters easier.  Besides, this way I am ready to meet my lady as soon as I arrive in Russia.

And I always have a change into comfortable clothes in my carry on in case of luggage problems, but I never had a luggage problem going to Russia.

Offline BC

Advice for first-timers
« Reply #34 on: February 09, 2006, 10:55:01 AM »
We had a problem once.. the bag with all the xmas gifts.. arrived a week late but all intact and nothing missing.

Offline latstaley

Advice for first-timers
« Reply #35 on: February 09, 2006, 10:59:52 AM »
If you think my feet are big now, you should have seen it when I was 12 and wore a size 12 shoe. My dad was thinking I was going to be around 6'6" and was planning out my NFL career as a defensive end. Boy, was he disappointed when I never got past 6'3".

I have a bad habit of leaving important things either in hotel rooms or at home when I go on vacation. That's how I lost my tennis shoes in Ireland. When I went to get a new pair, the elderly clerk said, "I guess the legends of Bigfoot in America are true."

I don't normally have problems finding shoes that size here in the states, but I remembered my experience in Ireland and try to take a back up pair when traveling overseas.

Offline dorogoyroberto

Advice for first-timers
« Reply #36 on: February 09, 2006, 12:04:15 PM »
Mr. latstaley,

I would certainly consider bringing a comfortable pair of shoes as backup.

I wear a size 12W. I had a problem finding comfortable slippers, but  the seventh shop Lilya and I visited had a nice paid of Inbiu (Italian)  suede slipons that fit great.

Otherwise, I have not seen/tried shoes that are wide enough. Thus, I  have had some shipped from the U.S. and the U.K., the latter very  reasonably...and I brought 10 pairs of dress/athletic/casual shoes with  me when I moved here.

Roberto (no Imelda complex)
Kiev, Ukraine

Offline ajayinsead03

Advice for first-timers
« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2006, 09:39:22 AM »
Get a tri-band GSM mobile phone - if u can.. it would work - back home too

Quote from: docetae
You will need a GSM multi bands (quad I believe).

Online 2tallbill

• Living the dream
Trip advice for first-timers
« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2021, 03:02:23 PM »
Lot of good stuff here.

FSUW are not for entry level daters
FSUW don't do vague
FSUW like a man of action. Be a man of action 
If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane.
There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up
Just kiss the girl, don't ask her first. Tolerate NO excuses!

Offline ML

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
Re: Advice for first-timers
« Reply #39 on: January 19, 2021, 03:31:43 PM »
Get prescription sleeping pills to help you until you adjust for 7 time zones or so.
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline I/O

Re: Advice for first-timers
« Reply #40 on: January 19, 2021, 04:29:01 PM »
Get prescription sleeping pills to help you...
Keep a good supply for after marriage....🤭

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 540999
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 11
Guests: 1900
Total: 1911

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 07:00:25 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Brillynt
Today at 06:16:36 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:20:42 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 09:12:54 PM

Yesterday at 09:02:12 PM

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 08:45:42 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 07:59:27 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 07:04:53 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 06:59:45 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 06:57:42 PM