It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: All Good Things Come to an End  (Read 135698 times)

Offline I/O

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
Re: All Good Things Come to an End
« Reply #350 on: July 09, 2009, 10:32:36 AM »
4 Russian cities from a “non searchers” perspective.

These are some of my observations based on recent travel and as such many will probably see things in a different light. This time I was visiting family with family and I think it does give one another viewpoint which is perhaps to some extent more realistic or objective and certainly more critical.

Novosibirsk, Omsk, Saint Petersburg and Moscow in 3 weeks with Sister in law’s wedding tossed in for a diversion. Leading up to this trip I’ve been ridiculously busy settling down a major project at work and admit my attention to detail was lacking in the planning which included arranging visas, travel etc for my parents. I got everyone else’s details correct but was to discover at 6.00am in Beijing whilst trying to check in to S-7 airlines the Russian Consulate in Australia had dated my visa one day later than our arrival date. Why had I never checked it? I checked everyone else’s umpteen times. OK, I can get to Novosibirsk or even Omsk (Our main destination) the next day with another airline but……………….. Fortunately the service manager for the S-7 desk in Beijing was Russian on that particular day and amid the panic of the party, tears and so forth, I saw an opportunity and hatched a plan as Russian “managers” remain open to “discussion” on the interpretation of rules or regulations, usually financial discussion. My idea was to play this card or hint at playing this card. Was I more patient than the Russian? Dunno, but here is how it played out. Not really a game of chess, more like rapid fire Chinese checkers. Pun intended.

We made a demonstrative display of swapping luggage around and setting everyone else up to go whilst I would remain……………………..(not effing likely). I threw a strategically timed tantrum and demanded a refund on my ticket etc etc etc as they checked my wife, son and parents through, the Russian became clearly agitated and obviously unsure of his position. Round one was going to I/O on points. The Russian would speak to his supervisor in Novosibirsk. I demanded it be on speaker phone. The Russian became very uncomfortable with this idea. From here on I pretty much knew how the drill would play out as they had originally printed all boarding passes and were refusing to release mine. Generally, once the boarding passes are printed the manifest must be manually altered or the plane will most often not depart. Now 45 minutes before departure, I am the only person at the S-7 desk apart from the Russian and two staff when the oh so predictable line came “We may be able to resolve this matter”. I responded bluntly, “there are two ways to resolve this, either give me my boarding pass or refund my money, now”. It was only a bluff but the point was, I was not going to pay him for the boarding pass. Precisely 30 minutes before departure he handed over the boarding pass. Those who have checked in for an international flight in Beijing know it is quite a sprint to make it through immigration, security, the train connection and departure gates. I did and funnily enough was on the plane within about 20 minutes.

Now for the Novosibirsk plan. I had 4 ½ hours to figure it out. We would arrive late morning. My view was that if they stuck to the letter of the law, I should either wait in immigration until midnight (When my visa would become valid) or they should ship me out of the country. My figuring was that although I had nothing valid, most of the aces were actually in my hands. It was worth a try to simply put my passport on the desk and see what happened. It took about 13 seconds for the lass to identify a “problem”. I ushered the rest of my party to the desk and they were cleared within a few minutes. I remained and was introduced to “Svetaslav” (SP?) who was apparently the only useful person with enough English to negotiate and he immediately made a huge mistake. He would need to “discuss this problem” with his “superior upstairs” to see if “we” could “resolve this problem” (Read, like the Russian in Beijing, decide how much it should cost me to resolve “this problem”). The immigration officials and the police are all housed DOWNSTAIRS in OVB. I let it play and he returned within about 20 minutes suggesting that perhaps I could remain in immigration until midnight, now about 12 hours and in the interim he would have further discussions with his “superior”. I assured him that I understood the difficult position I had put him in and I would be very happy to simply remain in immigration until midnight. I should mention that Mrs I/O was now out front (under prior instruction) relaying the arrivals and departure board details to me via SMS. This allowed me to establish there were no more international flights inbound during the afternoon and nothing going back to China which made it pretty clear that immigration staff were not going to be very happy about remaining at their desks simply to keep an eye on me. The whole process from time of arrival took about 2 hours before my new found friend had my passport duly stamped and me out of the airport. I didn’t part with a Kopeck.

Russians are arguably good negotiators but often these small authorities and police shoot themselves in the foot at the outset as did both men I dealt with through this process. They very often, when on the take, mention their supervisor or another authority. Hello idiot! You now are NOT “The Man” so you can’t “do a deal”. Please take me to the “man” who can do a deal, you are only the boy. They are not expecting this result, they use the bluff of higher authority in an attempt to get you onside with their “little deal”. Scuttle that and they are lost. “Yes please, I would like to meet with your superior, NOW”. It becomes a very ‘nother game.

In such situations, patience is a virtue. I do NOT recommend this procedure to anyone however my point is, if something goes wrong, be patient, plan B is there somewhere if you wait.

Novosibirsk hasn’t changed much in almost 3 years. It is an action city, the capital of Siberia with pleasant, friendly people. Almost anyone is ready to help if you approach it the right way. Softly catch the monkey is the key. I watched a couple of foreigners fried in an instant by mouthing off. I really have always liked the place but I admit it is initially grey and uninviting. At first it has a dirty appearance and can seem as a place one would rather not be. This quickly pales when one takes the time to look and understand. The miniskirts and slim tops have been replaced by slimmer tops and designer jeans but other than that, even to a married man, there remains eye catching scenery. All credit to these people. You boys ahuntin’ could do much worse than Novosibirsk.

Our arrival in Omsk at around midnight was something of a shock to say the least. As we disembarked the train, we were greeted by an entourage of near 25 people (family and connections) showering us with handshakes, hugs and flowers!! OMG the flowers!! They just seemed to go on forever. Further details are out of place here as family reunions are very personal affairs. We departed in a convoy of 11 cars.

Omsk probably doesn’t have quite the action of Novosibirsk (opinion only) however it has a cleaner appearance and is a place I have come to like very much on its merits. Construction is happening everywhere, the new arena is an asset and altogether the development is quite vast. Notwithstanding, some of the locals comment on the downturn. Certainly that is evident in some sections of the retail trade but the city is generally looking well at a civic level. There are economic issues behind the scenes with oil refinery tax revenues being moved away from the city and such like but on the whole it is still looking strong. The local “Flora” remains, in my view, the equal of anything I have seen anywhere, including the bigger cities. However, if the punters think they are going for a turkey shoot, I have sad news for them. 3 times, in the parks and cafes of an evening, I took particular count of the RM vs RW numbers. Every single time, in the 17-40 age groups, the MEN outnumbered the women!! BTW, those counts were after discounting the obvious drunks and no hopers. Single women are short of a date for about 14 seconds. Frankly I didn’t notice any different in Novosibirsk, St Pete or Moscow. Furthermore, the villages displayed much the same. Where anyone gets this numbers disparity thing from is utterly beyond me.

Saint Petersburg is a must visit and why I haven’t before is inexplicable. Rich in all that is history for Russia and the “Flora” is just fine also although much more casually, even slightly sloppily dressed by comparison to Novosibirsk and Omsk. Too much to explain but why any visiting punter would avoid St Pete is logic beyond my scope of thinking. How is it that in Hermitage among the crowds one can be tapped on the shoulder by a Russian woman and when you turn around you find it is someone from near your home city 14000 KMS away?

It has been said there is Moscow and there is everywhere else in the FSU. IMO this is so very true. It is largely about economics and although I don’t agree with nor support the way much of Russia and formerly other SU states are/were milked for the benefit of Moscow, it is the way it is and the result is Moscow remains such a pretty and inviting place to visit. Contrary to many I have heard complain about snobbishness and rudeness, I have, in the past found quite another thing in Moscow. A quick visit this time (3 days only) confirmed my previous experiences. A pretty and inviting city, friendly helpful people, clean, a bit of a crazy pace but a world class city with world class people although the “flora” was the most casually dressed I saw anywhere. Perhaps an indication of western pervasion? My impressions are unchanged, the Sushi is delicious, the Devs are delightful and the Benz’s are still black. The “Spaggetro” was even somewhat negotiable this time around for reasons I’ll outline in a moment.

Poking my neck out where perhaps it shouldn’t be, I’ll venture a couple of comments for the new guys or the seekers.

DO NOT avoid the big cities. Sure, go to the smaller ones also but do not be off put by the BS about big city snobs etc, It is rubbish. Embrace all.

DO NOT pay the slightest attention to the numbers disparity argument. It is utter rubbish.

DO NOT think this is an easy route or by finding fertile hunting ground you’ll have an easier ride through. Understand you, as a foreigner, are likely to be an “option” for a few women but certainly not a priority.

If you’re poor, stay home and find an affordable hobby.

Forget trying to learn extensive Russian language as a pretext to a first trip. Learn a few words or phrases and definitely learn the alphabet. You will be surprised how much you can figure out from there.

Just GO. Just spend time. Just fit in and enjoy.

Highlight: The house (New and American Barn Style) we rented outside Omsk city for 3 nights after Sister in Law’s wedding where about 20 of us including the bride and groom continued the celebrations. OMG, what a blast.

Lowlight: Kazak women trying to sell their wares to everyone on Siberian trains. Joys they are a pest.

Russia is a magnetic place but it remains hard work travelling for us as spoiled westerners.

I/O

Online Faux Pas

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: No Selection
« Reply #351 on: July 09, 2009, 12:44:50 PM »
There's not a single one of I/O's ending comments I could disagree with. I'd also affirm his remarks on St. Pete to be on the mark. St. Pete was my first trip destination and thus my yardstick for every Russian city afterwards. None has held up to St. Pete and thats Moscow included. I am a fan and seeker of good sushi. I ate it at least 6 times in St. Pete and found all six times to be the freshest and best tasting anywhere I have ever been. I attributed that to it being so close to the cold waters  of Gulf of Fin and the North Atlantic but there could be other reasons for all I know. The funny thing is, I didn't think for a minute that I would eat sushi in Russia prior to going.

Offline Chillidog

• Trips: 4 - 10
« Reply #352 on: July 09, 2009, 06:00:18 PM »
I/O

you might remember me, and remember I was in Omsk for 10 days last September and agree with all you said about Omsk, in fact of the 4 cities I have been to in Russia (which includes Moscow) I was most IMPRESSED by the woman of Omsk, by far and away the MOST "head turners" I have run across in my trips.

I'd made some life long friends during this trip but sadly I do not think my GF (from Kaluga) would look too kindly on me visiting them alone and she shows no desire of visiting Omsk herself (though in all that is sane I have never brought up this subject). So it looks like Omsk was a "one time trip for me"

We might run up to St. Pete for a couple of days when I am in Kulaga for the whole month of August. If we go this will be the first time I will have been to St. Pete

Offline I/O

« Reply #353 on: July 10, 2009, 01:19:37 AM »
F/P: Sushi was my big surprise in Russia years back when I first visited.

C/D: I certainly do remember you. Apparently things are on the up and up for you. Just a word of advice for you personally if memory is serving me correctly, you'll do a lot of walking in St Pete.

St Pete is a must visit. I enjoyed it immensely and would be happy to spend time there again but it is not "my" city so to say. I've spent a lot of time travelling over the years and among the cities which most appeal to me are Moscow and Mexico City (Central Areas) and of the provincials in the East, Omsk is my pace, although I acknowledge the benefits and attractions of many others.

I/O

Offline Ade

« Reply #354 on: July 10, 2009, 01:38:13 AM »
F/P: Sushi was my big surprise in Russia years back when I first visited.

C/D: I certainly do remember you. Apparently things are on the up and up for you. Just a word of advice for you personally if memory is serving me correctly, you'll do a lot of walking in St Pete.

Oh damn yes, the walking. It never ceased to amaze me how so few house numbers on those SPB street maps could translate into such long walks. I eventually figured out that 1 finger width normally equated to a 15 minute trudge. ;D

Offline Chillidog

« Reply #355 on: July 10, 2009, 12:00:43 PM »

Omsk is my pace, although I acknowledge the benefits and attractions of many others.

I/O

Were on the same page here, with Omsk- size and pace of the city -- suiting my style/life as well.

I did not enjoy Moscow that much, too big, too crowded, people moving too fast, do not get me wrong Moscow is a great city just not my "cup of tea" I was born, raised and lived for a long time in Chicago (live now out in the country), my feelings for Chicago run the same and are constantly confirmed everytime I run into Chicago to visit my daughters

Kaluga though much smaller than Omsk does have this "Omsk feel about it".

I believe when to talk about "the walking" you are referring to my knee surgery a little over 1 year ago. I can tell you Olya (Kaluga) has already walked the skin off the bottom of my feet and has "whipped" me into shape  ;) and has been talking that this trip in August she will need to get me jogging with her during this time :'(, though she said she will take it easy on me and not have me do the 20 km jogs she does.

They do have a way of concerning for us and making sure we are healthy :) though at times we wish they would "just let us be"  :D  

Only will have time for a 3 day'er in St. Pete (if we do go to St. Pete) so how much walking can you do in 3 days  :P

Offline I/O

« Reply #356 on: July 10, 2009, 09:13:37 PM »
how much walking can you do in 3 days  :P

Clearly, you have much to learn about RW. ;)

I/O

Offline Chillidog

« Reply #357 on: July 11, 2009, 08:05:22 PM »
Clearly, you have much to learn about RW. ;)

I/O

That I do not deny  :) but I'm a very attentive student and love the teacher ;D

Offline Jazzyclassy

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #358 on: July 12, 2009, 10:19:10 AM »
Awww i am glad you liked your trip:) I hope your parents loved it as well :)

So said we were not in Moscow when you visited, we will fly there next week, I am sure we will visit you in Australia;)

Offline I/O

« Reply #359 on: November 15, 2009, 05:45:51 AM »
Well over two years since I started this silly thread and an incredible amount of water under the bridge. I married someone who at a later time admitted to me she had no idea the basics of being married would be so difficult. Credit where credit is due, she has evolved and very quickly at that.

I can but marvel when I observe scenes as I did this afternoon. A tool room which has been something of a hell hole at the back of the house has annoyed me for years, particularly as over a period of time the balance of the house has been renovated to well above average standards. Discussion has ensued from time to time regarding the fate of the tool room and every time the door has been locked with agreement to "look at it" again in a few months.  :brightidea: For whatever reason, we were meandering through a home improvement store recently and happened upon the "spa" (Jacuzzi) section. The glance each gave and received was enough to tell us both what the future of the tool room would be..............

Fast forward to this afternoon, mid way through the demolition and reconstruction of the room area (my present hobby) which will be anything but a room when completed, one RW decided she could handle the batton screw driver (no toy, in fact an arm breaker for any man if not handled correctly) whilst I did other things. I guess the contrast in the photos below is evidence enough if I needed any as to why I find myself so contented.

Take a look at these few photos, how is this contrast possible..............?

Offline KenC

« Reply #360 on: November 15, 2009, 04:01:29 PM »
Yer got yourself a winner there. I/O
You are a den of vipers and thieves-Andrew Jackson on banks
Banking establishments are more dangerous than standing armies-Thomas Jefferson

Offline tfcrew

• North Texas... Married 21 years
  • Spouse's Country: Ukraine
« Reply #361 on: November 15, 2009, 07:14:15 PM »
#2 pic
Curious...building a porch there?

Karl
~There is no one more blind than those who refuse to see and none more deaf as those who will not listen~
~Think about the intelligence of the average person and then realize that half of the people are even more stupid than that~

Offline I/O

« Reply #362 on: November 15, 2009, 10:24:51 PM »
Yer got yourself a winner there. I/O
Construction work was never so visually appealling. 8)

building a porch there?
Demolition of a horrid old external store room (and then some). Construction will be something like an enclosed patio area to house a Jacuzzi.

Offline Gator

« Reply #363 on: November 16, 2009, 11:26:48 AM »
Construction will be something like an enclosed patio area to house a Jacuzzi.

That's what you think.  She is thinking banya and she has three questions:  how will you heat it, where is the frigid water tank, and is eucalyptus as good for spanking as birch?

Thanks for sharing.  You are a happy man.   I will use your photo with the lawnmower as an example for my turf (don't you have Mexicans in OZ?).

Offline I/O

« Reply #364 on: November 16, 2009, 02:31:21 PM »
spanking
Now we're talking. :devilish:

Thanks for sharing.
Welcome.

You are a happy man.
You're right 'bout that. I suspect by your upbeat posts over recent months you might say likewise.

I will use your photo with the lawnmower as an example for my turf
You might have some water to add to the grass which is more than we have right now. Climate change or no, drought is drought is drought. BTW, don't push the involvement outdoors or with other maintenance, it will come (I didn't think it would) of its own accord in due course. Let it be so to say.

(don't you have Mexicans in OZ?).
Ask me about this privately sometime. :o

Offline BillyB

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
« Reply #365 on: November 16, 2009, 02:49:50 PM »
photo with the lawnmower

I/O has done good but my ideal woman can push a lawnmower, perform brain surgery, looks like Miss Universe, and is a millionaire. I try to keep my requirements of a good woman to marry within reason otherwise I'd never find her.
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Online Faux Pas

« Reply #366 on: November 16, 2009, 02:51:56 PM »
I/O has done good but my ideal woman can push a lawnmower, perform brain surgery, looks like Miss Universe, and is a millionaire. I try to keep my requirements of a good woman to marry within reason otherwise I'd never find her.

Mine too, all the above. Plus owns a liquor store and a bank.  :D

Offline I/O

« Reply #367 on: January 20, 2011, 03:02:13 PM »
Baby Maria born 00.25 am (local time) 21st January 2011. Photos in due course.

Offline Boethius

« Reply #368 on: January 20, 2011, 03:18:53 PM »
Congratulations, Papa.  All the best to you, your lovely Mrs. and Jr. (big brother) I/O.
After the fall of communism, the biggest mistake Boris Yeltsin's regime made was not to disband the KGB altogether. Instead it changed its name to the FSB and, to many observers, morphed into a gangster organisation, eventually headed by master criminal Vladimir Putin. - Gerard Batten

Offline tim 360

« Reply #369 on: January 20, 2011, 03:19:49 PM »
Congratulations I/O, my best to you and your growing family.
"Never argue with a fool,  onlookers may not be able to tell the difference".  Mark Twain

Online Faux Pas

« Reply #370 on: January 20, 2011, 03:27:41 PM »
Congrats I/O! Maybe I missed it but I didn't realize the Misses had one in the oven. Is that your first?

Offline BC

« Reply #371 on: January 20, 2011, 03:45:04 PM »
Baby Maria born 00.25 am (local time) 21st January 2011. Photos in due course.

Privet Masha!

I/O.. I see you are truly living up to your moniker.. LOL

The very best wishes to all of you.

Offline GQBlues

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #372 on: January 20, 2011, 04:02:32 PM »
Wonderful news! Congratulations Mr&Mrs I/O!
Quote from: msmob
1. Because of 'man', global warming is causing desert and arid areas to suffer long, dry spell.
2. The 2018 Camp Fire and Woolsey California wildfires are forests burning because of global warming.
3. N95 mask will choke you dead after 30 min. of use.

Offline Blues Fairy

« Reply #373 on: January 20, 2011, 04:48:27 PM »
Wooo-hooo!!  I'm so happy for you guys.  Girls are fun.  :D
Congratulations to you and the family!

Offline TheTraveler

• Married to a Disproportionately Hot Russian Wife