It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: women from other countries  (Read 5330 times)

Offline civi68

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
  • Trips: 4 - 10
women from other countries
« on: September 02, 2018, 08:06:38 AM »
Guys,

I have been talking on Skype with a Russian woman who has been living in northern Spain for 7 years. She is a Spanish citizen. Her parents live there and she has a son. She doesn't have permanent employment but works as a temp translator. She owns her apartment with a mortgage. I saw a video of her city and it is beautiful. She visited America so she has an idea of what it is like. My thoughts are that it would be a step down for her to live in the US instead of being a European citizen. Some may disagree but my impressions are that life is better in the Euro-zone than the world of USA with expensive healthcare, college costs, etc. Heck, I wouldn't mind if she said when I retire from my job in the coming months that I live there!

Offline msmob

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: > 10
Re: women from other countries
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2018, 08:12:39 AM »
Barcelona has a LOT going for it..culture climate

Offline Steamer

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2018, 08:14:05 AM »
Guys,

I have been talking on Skype with a Russian woman who has been living in northern Spain for 7 years. She is a Spanish citizen. Her parents live there and she has a son. She doesn't have permanent employment but works as a temp translator. She owns her apartment with a mortgage. I saw a video of her city and it is beautiful. She visited America so she has an idea of what it is like. My thoughts are that it would be a step down for her to live in the US instead of being a European citizen. Some may disagree but my impressions are that life is better in the Euro-zone than the world of USA with expensive healthcare, college costs, etc. Heck, I wouldn't mind if she said when I retire from my job in the coming months that I live there!

Whether it's "better" or not is debatable but for RW it's closer to home than the US and doesn't seem so foreign to them.
Life ain't nothing but a poker game
And no two hands are quite the same
But I never saw a winner that didn't bet

Online krimster2

• Trips: Resident
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2018, 08:55:10 AM »
Spain is awesome if you don't have to depend on the local economy for your income
I could totally see myself living there, Spanish is the easiest language I've ever tried to self-learn
I would see if YOU could try and live there, OTOH, easy for her to come and visit you in USA

when my youngest leaves the nest in a few more years my wife and I want to live in Europe
I love it there!!

Offline BC

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2018, 11:30:34 AM »
Jerez/Cadiz also a great place to live. Spent 6 months or so there.. wow is all I can say. Malta also quite nice, especially for the younger seekers, lots and lots of students and tourists from everywhere.

Offline Maxx2

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2018, 12:00:10 PM »
Guys,

Heck, I wouldn't mind if she said when I retire from my job in the coming months that I live there!

Being an expat is a blast!

Offline DaveNY

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2018, 12:58:21 PM »
Guys,

Spent most of the my youth in Europe. My family lived in Valencia in the 60s for a couple of years. The problem I have with Spain is its economy and government. The government at all levels is corrupt and incompetent. Any bump in the road and the economy goes to hell. With the global economy roaring Spain has an unemployment rate of 15% the lowest in a decade. That's why your g/f can't find a permanent job.

If you can live in Spain with a good American pension life could be very good for you. My advice is to go there and spend some time there. Spend a year there and try to live like a local, see if you like it. Learn Spanish and blend into the community. I know many Americans who have retired abroad and find the life of an expat very enjoyable.

Offline BillyB

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2018, 01:17:10 PM »
She visited America so she has an idea of what it is like. My thoughts are that it would be a step down for her to live in the US instead of being a European citizen.

What does she think? When it comes to deciding where you want to live, living where you think is best is always better than the truth up until the point truth gets recognized.
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline SANDRO43

• Trips: None (yet)
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2018, 06:17:50 PM »
Portugal is very popular among Italian pensioners: if they elect their fiscal residence there, their pension income is not taxed :D.

I do not know if it may apply to pensioners from other countries, especially non-EU - it might be worth to check it out though ;).
Milan's "Duomo"

Offline BC

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2018, 09:25:39 PM »
Spent most of the my youth in Europe. My family lived in Valencia in the 60s for a couple of years. The problem I have with Spain is its economy and government. The government at all levels is corrupt and incompetent. Any bump in the road and the economy goes to hell. With the global economy roaring Spain has an unemployment rate of 15% the lowest in a decade. That's why your g/f can't find a permanent job.

Dave,
is an interesting topic. Economies all around the med are similar.  High unemployment especially among youth.  But somehow they all seem to get by with a full belly, a bed, a roof over their head, decent clothes, a mobile phone, a pack of cigs in their pocket and a no deductible health insurance card in their pocket. Very few seem to be lacking the basics.  The 'underground' economy is vast with a lot of folks working under the radar.  Sometimes I wonder if this unofficial economy has more power than the government, keeping it at bay.  The context and mentality are totally different, so not to be taken out of geographical context or deemed applicable elsewhere.  Simply a way of life 'there', or from my POV 'here'.  There are plenty of big shopping malls, grocery stores, Ikea, McDonalds, Amazon, whatever.. and they are filled with customers.  20 years ago many did not have cars, parking was easy.. nowadays parking is difficult to find, even for a boat...  Sure, everyone wants a bit more but there doesn't seem to be that sense of urgency I note elsewhere in the west.

Offline msmob

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2018, 11:48:37 PM »

Being an expat is a blast!

Agreed..  but you are doing the right thing, renting, first ... 

Madam, complaining that Cyprus is too hot ;)

Offline GQBlues

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2018, 12:07:42 AM »
Civi-

Call me skeptical but you are communicating with a gal with a child who have a place/mortgage in a beautiful Spanish neighborhood while working as a temp translator? Did I read that right?
Quote from: msmob
1. Because of 'man', global warming is causing desert and arid areas to suffer long, dry spell.
2. The 2018 Camp Fire and Woolsey California wildfires are forests burning because of global warming.
3. N95 mask will choke you dead after 30 min. of use.

Offline msmob

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2018, 12:34:35 AM »
Civi-

Call me skeptical but you are communicating with a gal with a child who have a place/mortgage in a beautiful Spanish neighborhood while working as a temp translator? Did I read that right?

Why not ?

I knew a Russian lass from Krasnodar region who married a Spaniard - subsequently divorced - and she lived with her daughter in an apt IN Barcelona - bought on credit and went through periods of turmoil, hospitalisation, no employment, etc. having had a tree fall on her ..

We had been an item in 2004/5 and we re established contact in 2012 ...

Offline civi68

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2018, 04:36:27 AM »
GQ, you are correct. She also gets help from her parents that live there which I suspect is how she affords everything. She uses their car, etc. She showed me her apartment and neighborhood while we spoke. Her parents are in their 70's so maybe she feels she couldn't survive without them.

Offline GQBlues

« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2018, 08:43:59 AM »
GQ, you are correct. She also gets help from her parents that live there which I suspect is how she affords everything. She uses their car, etc. She showed me her apartment and neighborhood while we spoke. Her parents are in their 70's so maybe she feels she couldn't survive without them.

Ahh! Okay. Makes sense now. Thanks. Good luck on whatever you decide to do then...
Quote from: msmob
1. Because of 'man', global warming is causing desert and arid areas to suffer long, dry spell.
2. The 2018 Camp Fire and Woolsey California wildfires are forests burning because of global warming.
3. N95 mask will choke you dead after 30 min. of use.

Offline bellhead

« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2018, 02:06:22 PM »
Guys,

First post on the forum....  But hopefully I can help

I was married to a Spaniard & have two children by her.  Unfortunately she passed from cancer about 2 years ago & which brought me to this forum, as I find eastern European women very attractive.  If I do get married again I would definitely want to have a couple of children even though I am in my late 40's.  The reason is I believe children are the center piece of any marriage. 

Anyway I lived in Spain when I met her in 1992, we dated for almost 2 years before I moved back to the US where she visited 2 X's for 3 months each before we were married in 1995.   

If you are retiring, I would recommend the move to Spain due to the very low cost of living especially in the south Andalusia area.  You can live very comfortably on $2k a month, this includes rent, food, and eating out several days a week.   After about a year you will be conversationally fluent in Spanish & should have no issues with day to day life.

Spaniards are very educated & progressive minded so keep this in mind.  They have nationalized health care, & a very progressive income tax compared to the US.  Earlier when I was in Seville this year, there was a general strike due to the differences in wages for men & women.   For some Americans this can be hard for them to wrap their head around, but at the same time people are generally very happy.  There is a saying of in the US you live to work, in Spain it's you work to live.   

The only drawback to Spain is the lack of full time employment & wages.  I am a network engineer with about 25 years of experience & interviewed for a job with one of the big telecom providers in Madrid, the role was to be a principle engineer for their IMS cellular network, something I supported while working for Verizon Wireless.  Their pay was only $40k euros a year starting, while at Verizon I was over 120k a year annualy with a bonus.   Plus they were not offering a full time contract only a temp.  In Spain a full time contract is a huge deal as it gives you more protection than federal workers in the US get.  If you are laid off or terminated the business has to pay out your salary for up to around 2 to 3 years. 

I can add more if you have ?'s...

Offline msmob

« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2018, 02:17:40 PM »
Welcome Bellhead

Firstly, very sorry to read of the sad loss of the mother of your kids and I'm sure she'd want you to be happy

I'm a bit confused - when did you move BACK to Spain ? 

I'm wonder what your status is ( resident?) as you could live in any EU nation - even the UK - for now - if you have the right to work in Spain

I'm also guessing that wages are less as the EU market is much more competitive than the US cellular  market

Offline bellhead

« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2018, 02:25:31 PM »
Welcome Bellhead

Firstly, very sorry to read of the sad loss of the mother of your kids and I'm sure she'd want you to be happy

I'm a bit confused - when did you move BACK to Spain ? 

I'm wonder what your status is ( resident?) as you could live in any EU nation - even the UK - for now - if you have the right to work in Spain

I'm also guessing that wages are less as the EU market is much more competitive than the US cellular  market

No I live in the US, but go to Spain 2X a year, so my children can visit relatives.  Usually during the X-mas holidays & then during the summer.  They both stay with their aunt & uncle who have no children.  Yes I do have the right to work in Spain, as both of my children have Spanish nationality.  I'm 100% certain of this as my brother in law was a traveling judge for 2 years, before taking a position within the prison system in Spain.  The reason I was looking in Spain was my wife, if the offer would have been around the 60k euro mark we would have moved to Madrid.  We just recently had a baby who is now 4 so we could be close to her mom & dad, Seville is a 2.5 hour train ride.

I'm currently working for the US government as a General Schedule employee & with military time bridged I can retire with a pension & healthcare in 9 years with 20 years of service.  Unless something spectacular comes along I am going to ride this job out.  The pay is less but I'm a project manager for MPLS networks & I work at home full time with travel to DC about every 2 months or to a large client site usually overnight. 

Online krimster2

« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2018, 02:26:28 PM »
Bellhead

dude, you are our man in Spain!  Excellente!
I designed a cable modem chip for Espial a Spanish Cable Co
helped boot up their first hardware demo in Barcelona
very cool place!!!

how old are your children?
are you willing to accept a woman with her own kids?

with your Spanish background, have you considered a woman from Latin America?

Offline Donna_Pedro

« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2018, 02:29:26 PM »
Guys,

I do not think that she would have to surrender her EU citizenship in order to be US citizen.  I wouldnt say  it would be a step down. For the right guy it is always a step up, regardless where you are planning to live together. And  congratulations - you are getting yourself a person who does not have a strong motivation to  leave the country, so if she does it - it would be only because of your irresistable personality and looks!
Kaplah!

Online 2tallbill

• Living the dream
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2018, 02:39:11 PM »
First post on the forum....  But hopefully I can help

I'm going to ask the mods to put a copy of this in the introduction section.
So that your intro won't get buried.
FSUW are not for entry level daters
FSUW don't do vague
FSUW like a man of action. Be a man of action 
If you find a promising girl, get your butt on a plane.
There are a hundred ways to be successful and a thousand ways to f#ck it up
Just kiss the girl, don't ask her first. Tolerate NO excuses!

Offline msmob

« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2018, 02:43:00 PM »

I do not think that she would have to surrender her EU citizenship in order to be US citizen.  I wouldnt say  it would be a step down. For the right guy it is always a step up, regardless where you are planning to live together. And  congratulations - you are getting yourself a person who does not have a strong motivation to  leave the country, so if she does it - it would be only because of your irresistable personality and looks!

This is not as straight forward as it seems

Surely said lady could end up with THREE citizenships  ?  ( RU, ESP, US )

Some EU nations do not allow Dual nationality ( Austria ) - but Spain are 'fine' if you promise to retain the ESP nationality within three years of acquiring dual nationality ...

THREE ?  could be fun...

« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 03:04:01 PM by msmob »

Offline bellhead

« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2018, 02:54:58 PM »
Bellhead

dude, you are our man in Spain!  Excellente!
I designed a cable modem chip for Espial a Spanish Cable Co
helped boot up their first hardware demo in Barcelona
very cool place!!!

how old are your children?
are you willing to accept a woman with her own kids?

with your Spanish background, have you considered a woman from Latin America?

I have considered women from latin america, I'm going to go to Columbia for a "site seeing tour" early next year.

I have two kids, the oldest is 22 & the youngest 4, he was a oops kid.  Love him to death though. 

One of the reasons i am attracted to FSU women is classical music which seems to be much more appreciated there.  I played piano & violin for over 9 years, & when I lived in Cincinnati I had tickets to the symphony.  Am hoping to find the same in a partner.  Due to my wife's, I am very comfortable interacting with people who language isn't their first language. 

As far as the citizenship, Spaniards can have dual citizenship with the US, so it's possible to have both.

Online krimster2

« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2018, 04:07:52 PM »
"I'm going to go to Columbia"

I used to be madly in love with a woman from Columbia!
she was one of the beach types, who was always outside on the beach
super tanned, lovely, lovely girl with a fiery temper

Ukrainian women are a lot like that!
living in Spain gives you a geographic advantage, just a few hours flying time to Ukraine

how do you feel about a woman living with you and bringing a small child of her own
IMHO it would boost your chances

otherwise, in general a lot of women in Ukraine would not have a guy with a small child as their their first choice of potential spouse
Ukrainian women are more territorial and possessive about their husbands, and don't like to share them

but your artistic/music talents are a big plus, a big point in your favor!!!
if you can perform music on your own, you can 100% parley that into pickups!!!

I am told that I am a pretty good sketch artist
when I was in Kyiv, I could sit on a bench and start making sketches and I'd attract a crowd
and always a few were good looking girls, and we'd make eye contact and talk because they could tell straight away I was a foreigner
basically, in Ukraine, it's an alternate Universe where I didn't hit on the girls
they hit on me!!!!

if you were in the "right circles" they would hit on you, the only real issue would be about kids

« Last Edit: November 08, 2018, 06:01:38 PM by krimster2 »

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 540999
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 11
Guests: 1900
Total: 1911

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 07:00:25 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Brillynt
Today at 06:16:36 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Yesterday at 09:20:42 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 09:12:54 PM

Yesterday at 09:02:12 PM

American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Infoman
Yesterday at 08:45:42 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 07:59:27 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 07:04:53 PM

Ukrainian refugee working for me now by ML
Yesterday at 06:59:45 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Yesterday at 06:57:42 PM