It appears you have not registered with our community. To register please click here ...

!!

Welcome to Russian Women Discussion - the most informative site for all things related to serious long-term relationships and marriage to a partner from the Former Soviet Union countries!

Please register (it's free!) to gain full access to the many features and benefits of the site. Welcome!

+-

Author Topic: Coronavirus, how are you preparing for it and how it is affecting you so far?  (Read 439760 times)

Offline BillyB

• Spouse's Country: Ukraine
  • Trips: > 10
If anyone is at a point of the disease where you need breathing assistance, please go to the hospital. Do not try to tough it out at home and risk your life with home remedies.

Most people who get COVID-19 must battle it at home and not everybody that goes to the hospital gets a ventilator. Even if a person has mild congestion, a CPAP will open airways force the lungs to accept air and the ones with a humidifier like mine has keeps things from drying out so it's easier for the body to cough out mucus. Using a CPAP at home can help a person's COVID-19 from getting worse. There's really nothing a hospital can do that ones own home can do except provide a ventilator, IV, pain killer and experimental drugs. If a person needs those things, absolutely they should go to a hospital but there's only one known proven protection from the virus and that is the immunity system of our bodies.
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline BillyB

A low risk world yet the economy is suffering.    Or a working world with an endemic level of this disease killing far less of us than cancer and heart disease.

Currently we are living in a world where the economy is suffering, there is high unemployment and COVID-19 is the #1 killer in America. In Italy, in just over a month, they had 80 doctors die, 20 nurses die, and 12,000 medical workers infected. No country can sustain those numbers in their medical community for long before things collapse in the medical industry. We have to keep the infection count down at all times to save lives and not overwhelm the medical community. It's going to cost us part of our economy to achieve this. We can try to go back to work but there will be periodic outbreaks across the country to where parts of the country will have to stay at home. Unless a vaccine is found, quarantines and stay at home orders will be a part of our lives. Someday we will be able to tell our great grandkids about the time we did a thing called "Shaking hands" and going to live music and sporting events with crowds over 10 people.
Fund the audits, spread the word and educate people, write your politicians and other elected officials. Stay active in the fight to save our country. Over 220 generals and admirals say we are in a fight for our survival like no other time since 1776.

Offline BC

• Spouse's Country: Russia
  • Trips: 4 - 10
Billy,

As physically mobile as the US population is, I believe it will be very difficult to do it on a patchwork basis.  There are 10 million Americans that are looking for jobs.  Many will have no hesitation to move elsewhere for a job.  Now think a bit about it..  We start to open up workplaces that need to be filled, maybe by folks from elsewhere.

That scenario raises the risk of rebounds enormously.

Widespread, nationwide testing is the only logical solution.  Something like 'you are locked down until you get tested'.  Some, that did have prior positive tests and then retested negative would be the first group that could be let loose, but still taking lighter precautions.  According to the charts around 25,000 in the US already have that status.  We need fairly widespread testing for those with antibodies and those that were not infected anyway to assess what the risks and consequences of rebounds are.

Offline LAman

• Spouse's Country: No Selection
Most people who get COVID-19 must battle it at home and not everybody that goes to the hospital gets a ventilator. Even if a person has mild congestion, a CPAP will open airways force the lungs to accept air and the ones with a humidifier like mine has keeps things from drying out so it's easier for the body to cough out mucus. Using a CPAP at home can help a person's COVID-19 from getting worse. There's really nothing a hospital can do that ones own home can do except provide a ventilator, IV, pain killer and experimental drugs. If a person needs those things, absolutely they should go to a hospital but there's only one known proven protection from the virus and that is the immunity system of our bodies.

What happened BillyB, you lose your job and now are selling CPAP machines??? ))

There is NO protection from a virus. Not even vaccines. Viruses mutate. Vaccines need to change also.
There is a known virus that's been around for 2000 years. In the last 70 years we have had a vaccine for that virus, yet it affects yearly ~35 million people in USA with an average of 40-50 thousand deaths.

You talk about protection and immunity??
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift

Offline LAman

Billy,

As physically mobile as the US population is, I believe it will be very difficult to do it on a patchwork basis.  There are 10 million Americans that are looking for jobs.  Many will have no hesitation to move elsewhere for a job.  Now think a bit about it..  We start to open up workplaces that need to be filled, maybe by folks from elsewhere.

That scenario raises the risk of rebounds enormously.

Widespread, nationwide testing is the only logical solution.  Something like 'you are locked down until you get tested'.  Some, that did have prior positive tests and then retested negative would be the first group that could be let loose, but still taking lighter precautions.  According to the charts around 25,000 in the US already have that status.  We need fairly widespread testing for those with antibodies and those that were not infected anyway to assess what the risks and consequences of rebounds are.

BC, you bring up a thought I have had recently.
There are 3 groups most fall into:

1. Those that test negative for virus
2 Those that test negative but with antibodies of virus
3. Those that test positive for virus
Actually a fourth but they are dead

How do you separate these groups?
We have been told to take every precaution to NOT get the virus but it would seem now, it would be best to be in group 2 moving forward!!
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift

Offline BillyB

What happened BillyB, you lose your job and now are selling CPAP machines??? ))

There is NO protection from a virus. Not even vaccines. Viruses mutate. Vaccines need to change also.
There is a known virus that's been around for 2000 years. In the last 70 years we have had a vaccine for that virus, yet it affects yearly ~35 million people in USA with an average of 40-50 thousand deaths.

You talk about protection and immunity??

If you thought I'm advocating a product to beat the virus, you are mistaken. CPAPs and ventilators aren't designed to beat the virus. They are used to prevent organ failure. If lungs fail, so can other organs starving for oxygen. When lungs don't get enough oxygen, the heart starts to franticly beat trying to pump oxygen rich blood when none is there. When your other organs starve for oxygen, they start to die. Think those climbers on Everest. At a certain elevation, their bodies don't function well and they begin to die due to lack of oxygen.

Ventilators do basically two things, provide oxygen and apply pressure into the lungs keeping airways open and making it easy for lungs to absorb oxygen. CPAPs do not provide oxygen but they do apply pressure. When I did a sleep study, I learned the most important thing about a CPAP wasn't to prevent snoring but stop the interruptions of breathing which deny oxygen to the body. By making sure all organs have an adequate supply of oxygen, you will get better sleep and live longer.

With more oxygen to organs and for the immune system, a person is more likely to survive COVID-19. If I'm ill from anything and laying in bed, I'll put the CPAP on just because it helps me breathe easier. In the below link is the make and model the VA hospital provides me for free.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Philips-Respironics-REMstar-Pro-C-Flex-System-ONE-CPAP-w-Heated-Humidifier-bag/324125025156?epid=0&hash=item4b775b6384:g:QxEAAOSwcpVeh88Y

We have been told to take every precaution to NOT get the virus but it would seem now, it would be best to be in group 2 moving forward!!

You mean test positive and acquire antibodies? Whether you get a cold or flu or COVID-19, your immune system will create antibodies to defeat the viruses. A person may not get ill right away after defeating the cold or flu but went the antibody count drops back down, a person can get ill again.

In other news Trump is thinking about withholding $500 million from WHO because of their poor performance.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/trump-suggests-he-may-hold-dollar500-million-meant-for-who/ar-BB12s1T4?ocid=spartanntp

Offline BC

Indeed LA.

Those with antibodies should be able to go to work without too much worry of infecting someone or getting infected themselves (not proven yet if rarely reported reinfections are due to testing errors or not)

Those without antibodies that test negative should keep their current isolated/careful routine until they either get infected or vaccinated.

Those testing posiive should be isolated until they test negative.

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
Sighs,

Where is the UK's magic money tree ?  I missed you asking THAT ?

These were EUROzone nations - The UK wasn't a member of the Euro..  nor are Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Hungary, Poland, Romania and Sweden

Mobe, the EU is already heavily in debt, they got there by refusing to run on a basis where they refused to run it into the red and take on any credit. They could have said 'we are a new institution and as such to be fiscally sound we will always balance the books and never take on any debt'. That would have been the financially prudent thing to do, but no they had to go off Empire building with grand plans and take no notice of how Europe would be better of long term with an organisation that does not run up significant debt and add to the problem.

Fact of the matter is they were coming to struggle to pay off the debt they had, there is no way in hell the will be able to pay off an extra €500bn debt not without huge devaluation of the Euro and a lot off peed off investors that will hence force avoid touching the EU with a very long barge pole.

Following this pandemic we will have many failed states as a result of them not being able to service their debts, the EU will be one of the, Italy will be another, probably Spain too and possibly France.

The UK may stand the ability to avoid this, our debt to GDP ratio is still quite high, but if the Chancellor doesn't saddle us down with too much expenditure and can find a way to repay the expenditure without devaluing the pound significantly then we might pull through without too much turmoil. The EU though is a goner.
"If you make your own bread, then and only then, are you a free man unchained and alive living in pooty tang paradise, or say no and live in Incel island with all the others." - Krimster

Offline Gator

BC,

I read your rhetoric about not returning to work until "numbers get so low that we are able to effectively test and chase it down."  It  is a message that will not relieve some of the fear average Americans are now feeling.  Frankly, the message sounds just like the Democrat analysts on CNN, i. e., those people who get occasional moments on TV to explain in different ways why Trump is wrong. 

Then you post again, this time no rhetoric, and instead specific examples.     Be not shocked when I express agreement with your examples. 

It's what I am talking about in reopening businesses.  The Amazon example, the groceries example, and I venture every place that is open are taking prudent, pragmatic measures to reduce risk to its employees.  As the article described, Amazon plans to test, but not every employee and not on a regular basis (and I was uncertain about whether every Amazon facility will be testing).

To wait until regular testing and low numbers, nobody will have the money to buy shiny new cars when auto manufacturing plants  are ready to open.   Business openings should be phased in some well thought out manner, and progress to the next phase only if the data show the virus is not rebounding.   Schools could open soon, and closely monitored of course.

Sports events perhaps should not open until we have a vaccine. Miami is the hotspot in Florida, and many contend it was because of the Super Bowl as well as all the international air traffic.  Restaurants and bars likely should also be delayed, but could open before we have a vaccine.   

Trump supposedly is creating a second Task Force to deal with the economy.  The economy is taking a huge hit, and getting back to work is only one part of economic recovery.  The   Fed is certainly doing its part.

BTW, my stepson works at Publix, two days per week.  He took some time off.  They need him, and he is returning next week.     

Offline jone

Gator and BC,

I am impressed by the number of steps taken by the retail grocery / pharmacies, etc. to protect their employees.   Here in LA, if you go into a pharmacy, there is now a plastic blockade between yourself and the store clerk.   

But as I reflect, it seems like these store clerks, pharmacists, etc., who are exposed to many, may now be the primary carriers of the disease.   And the protection goes both ways.  The customers need the protection from the clerks who were not properly taken care of at the onset of the quarantine.
Kissing girls is a goodness.  It beats the hell out of card games.  - Robert Heinlein

Offline BillyB

Video in the link below interviews Italians. Italian mayors think the death toll is much higher than reported. Italian newspaper used to average one page of obituaries a day. Now they average 13 pages of obituaries a day. Some Italians dying in their homes do not get counted. I suspect all nations are under reporting deaths because they can't effectively count every death and/or they want to deceive to paint a different picture of what is going on in their country.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/video/italian-newspapers-obituaries-filled-1-page-now-its-13/vi-BB12qBja?ocid=spartanntp

Offline BC

Billy,

Under/overcount issues can be resolve in the future giving statistically relevant figures that can be compared to reported figures.  Here in Italy for example, the local town hall keeps all the birth, death and residence location.  All this information is in the national database.  Most if not all European countries do the same. Of course, would not be as effective in other places like the US where registering your presence in your community is not mandatory.

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
It's nearly 11am on a Saturday and I'm waiting for me Moobs to appear :D
"If you make your own bread, then and only then, are you a free man unchained and alive living in pooty tang paradise, or say no and live in Incel island with all the others." - Krimster

Offline msmob

BillyB,

There is no hard and fast 'rule' as how the virus effects folks ... what you wrote above was the words of a "I 'learnt' all this recently on the net" and it shows ..

Some are asymptomatic

Some have mild symptoms

Some ( like BoJo) don't seem to shake the virus off and get put on oxygen  - they still breathe for themselves

Others, sadly, need help to breathe ( ventilator)   - only in a hospital

Others, even more sadly, do not get the chance to be treated ( in Hospital) or a ventilator doesn't help as they waited too long for treatment or just go downhill, swiftly

Offline msmob

It's nearly 11am on a Saturday and I'm waiting for me Moobs to appear :D

I 'appeared' about an hour ago, but attentiveness is not your forte.

Offline BC

BC,

I read your rhetoric about not returning to work until "numbers get so low that we are able to effectively test and chase it down."  It  is a message that will not relieve some of the fear average Americans are now feeling.  Frankly, the message sounds just like the Democrat analysts on CNN, i. e., those people who get occasional moments on TV to explain in different ways why Trump is wrong.

No, these are my own thoughts and not based on reporting or politics.  I do very similar assessments in my business and only applied the same process and logic. 

Then you post again, this time no rhetoric, and instead specific examples.  Be not shocked when I express agreement with your examples.

My typical method is to first think and formulate a hypothesis then go googling to look for the evidence.  Example with the Amazon link I posted, I first put myself into the shoes of a large company that has to assess several risks, of infecting customers, own workforce and future liability when things don't go as planned like lawsuits.  I then searched for examples and found the information about how Amazon plans to deal with the situation.  Sure, I'll be the first to admit I am not bias-free, but I do try to keep an open mind and have the capability of accepting that my hypothesis may not be right when doing research.

It's what I am talking about in reopening businesses.  The Amazon example, the groceries example, and I venture every place that is open are taking prudent, pragmatic measures to reduce risk to its employees.  As the article described, Amazon plans to test, but not every employee and not on a regular basis (and I was uncertain about whether every Amazon facility will be testing).

Think about the marketing value, a customer might well prefer, for example, a grocer who passes each and every article on the shelf through a UV-C light tunnel when restocking and regularly 'walks the aisle' with a UV-C lamp array to kill virus from customers picking up an article and returning it to the shelf.  May sound silly and overkill but who knows....  Added benefit costs for such could come out of the marketing budget instead.  Such can become a decent business.  Think about all those x-ray machines at airports.  Yuge business.  Put a UV-C lamp in your mudroom while you can still get them.  Many businesses will be installing them in their existing overhead fluorescent lighting systems.

IIRC the article mentioned several testing locations?  I would opt for each major warehouse location.

To wait until regular testing and low numbers, nobody will have the money to buy shiny new cars when auto manufacturing plants  are ready to open.   Business openings should be phased in some well thought out manner, and progress to the next phase only if the data show the virus is not rebounding.   Schools could open soon, and closely monitored of course.

Here, additional businesses have been cleared to re-open from 14 April to 3 May.  Still quite limited but a start with most still in the 'necessary' category, but does include a host of preliminary services that business will need to start back up again, such as electricians, auto repair, engineering offices AC and heating repair, cleaners, shirt factories (for other than work clothes which were always open) etc.  Most industrial machine-making companies, packaging material producers etc.  List attached.  Many of these were able to work during the lockdown.  Of course, other than for work and urgent needs travel is still locked down to your own city.  Stores will keep their one in one out policies, masks required etc.  Still no 'public gathering' types like restaurants, cafes.

Sports events perhaps should not open until we have a vaccine. Miami is the hotspot in Florida, and many contend it was because of the Super Bowl as well as all the international air traffic.  Restaurants and bars likely should also be delayed but could open before we have a vaccine.   

Indeed, will not be different here I think.

Trump supposedly is creating a second Task Force to deal with the economy.  The economy is taking a huge hit, and getting back to work is only one part of economic recovery.  The Fed is certainly doing its part.

I hope science will not be overruled by forces of economics and politics.  The situation in the US is especially challenging, elevating the risk of any concessions.

BTW, my stepson works at Publix, two days per week.  He took some time off.  They need him, and he is returning next week.   

I remember how often I had to scold my younger kids to put on their seat belts.  Brief him well.  Sounds though like your wife has a good grip on that aspect :)

Cheetos are a good learning tool :)   Handle some with gloves and mask then take off the gloves and mask and put back on again.  Cars are also a good transfer point.  Guess car rentals are going to be doing some really good cleaning in the future.

p.s. I don't know if Cheetos fluoresce but he'll get the idea quickly.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2020, 03:53:02 AM by BC »

Offline BC

Gator and BC,

I am impressed by the number of steps taken by the retail grocery / pharmacies, etc. to protect their employees.   Here in LA, if you go into a pharmacy, there is now a plastic blockade between yourself and the store clerk.   

But as I reflect, it seems like these store clerks, pharmacists, etc., who are exposed to many, may now be the primary carriers of the disease.   And the protection goes both ways.  The customers need the protection from the clerks who were not properly taken care of at the onset of the quarantine.

Indeed, that barrier protects both ways.  Grocers here have also installed shields.  Anything we bring home gets emptied and outer packaging goes straight to the outside garbage bin.

Offline fathertime

BC, you bring up a thought I have had recently.
There are 3 groups most fall into:

1. Those that test negative for virus
3. Those that test positive for virus
Actually a fourth but they are dead

How do you separate these groups?
If most everybody is going to wind up getting the virus, then I suppose the timing of getting it could be important. 
A person wouldn't want to get the virus at a peak time when he may not get proper care.  That seems to be a moot point in California as the hospitals are not overwhelmed.    On the other hand, getting the virus later could be better in that more effective health care options have been experimented with from the earlier patients. 

Fathertime! 
I just happened to be browsing about the internet....

Offline Gator

I hope science will not be overruled by forces of economics and politics. 

It will be a decision made via the political process that balances the socioeconomic tradeoffs. 

The situation in the US is especially challenging, elevating the risk of any concessions.

Tradeoffs = concessions.  It will be inevitable.

Challenging?   Do you mean our federalism form of government?  Our style referred to by Europeans as "cowboy?"  Our diversity?  Our exaggerated political division?   Ideally, there will be a consensus, yet given our diverse perspectives, unlikely. 
« Last Edit: April 11, 2020, 05:24:22 AM by Gator »

Offline BC

Challenging?   Do you mean our federalism form of government?  Our style referred to by Europeans as "cowboy?"  Our diversity?  Our exaggerated political division?   Ideally, there will be a consensus, yet given our diverse perspectives, unlikely.

No, I mean regarding national guidelines.  If not uniform, the risk of virus rebound is considerably higher.  Think of all those cars and aeroplanes.

Offline Trenchcoat

• 🇺🇦
I 'appeared' about an hour ago, but attentiveness is not your forte.

Ah, so our Moobs has finally put in an appearance ;D So €500bn EU repay how?

Offline msmob

Ah, so our Moobs has finally put in an appearance ;D So €500bn EU repay how?

Two thoughts come to mind

1/ WHAT is this thread about?

2/ why do you care about how Eurozone countries can pay back money they haven't got...worry about your own.

Offline fathertime

2000 plus dead in the US just yesterday from the virus. The biggest number of any country at any time.   That might be the peak day.  Overall, we *The US* are leading the world in deaths from the virus, despite other countries like China and India having multiples higher population, many of which are living in poverty/squalor and more vulnerable.

Fathertime!

Offline ML

Overall, we *The US* are leading the world in deaths from the virus, despite other countries like China and India having multiples higher population, many of which are living in poverty/squalor and more vulnerable.

We are and will continue to REPORT higher deaths.

And you don't know the reason why ?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2020, 10:08:32 AM by ML »
A beautiful woman is pleasant to look at, but it is easier to live with a pleasant acting one.

Offline fathertime

We are and will continue to report higher deaths.

And you don't know the reason why ?
2 of the reasons would be:

1.  We have an obese aging society, so many are vulnerable to death
2.   We didn't make the sacrifice other countries have made so a higher death total is expected.

Fathertime! 

+-RWD Stats

Members
Total Members: 8883
Latest: Leroy14
New This Month: 1
New This Week: 0
New Today: 0
Stats
Total Posts: 541009
Total Topics: 20849
Most Online Today: 2013
Most Online Ever: 12701
(January 14, 2020, 07:04:55 AM)
Users Online
Members: 11
Guests: 1870
Total: 1881

+-Recent Posts

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 02:48:08 PM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 01:09:03 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:51:13 PM

Re: What to do by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:33:48 PM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by Trenchcoat
Today at 12:24:44 PM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by krimster2
Today at 11:16:08 AM

Re: American With Russian Fiancé - Scheduled For K1 Interview In Warsaw, BUT.... by ML
Today at 10:31:43 AM

Re: What to do by krimster2
Today at 09:47:10 AM

What to do by 2tallbill
Today at 09:37:41 AM

Re: If you don't know what you are talking about, post away anyway by 2tallbill
Today at 09:18:17 AM